80 Users
332 Reactions
31.9 K Views
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11564
Post on old board: 21741

MN really does need a mindset change, they play like they expect to win but really they need to play like the other team wants to kick their ass.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1256
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @greyeagle

MN really does need a mindset change, they play like they expect to win but really they need to play like the other team wants to kick their ass.

That about sums it up. There just isn’t that drive there to beat teams this year. Maybe they expect it or maybe holding back for the end of the year. Whatever it is, it definitely feels like something is missing attitude wise. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8165

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @boninthebear

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/MikeGrimm3/status/1745172355314303125

Just listened to this. They spend an odd about of time talking about last season.

I don’t care what Faber’s number was.

Exactly. Fish's comments about last years team made it seem like he is reminiscing about it and comparing it to this year. Lets move on and make a run.

I know Fish has no control over the questions he gets asked in an interview but it would sure be nice if we could all collectively move on.

JDPuck04
(@jdpuck04)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 136

I haven't been tuned in... But I'm curious on the GPL thoughts with roster turnover for next year. 

- Do we think any young underclassmen will leave? - Rinzel or Moore (I don't think either have put up the numbers to make the jump early). I expect/hope for a return.

- Upperclassmen - Pretty obvious Snuggy leaves, but what about Chesley? Does he get a letter on his chest and stay to give us an experienced DCore a la 22-23 with him, Rinzel, Cal, and Mittelstadt? Any guys exercising extra years like we have seen with Nelson, Brodzo, and Close? (I kind of hope the extra years are behind us and we are back to "normal" post-covid eligibility). I hope and expect to see Huglen and Pitlick in maroon and gold lead the way next year as captains. 

- The Incoming Class - The expected group has Hendrickson, Ziemer, Pahlsson, Falloon, Whipple, Gruba, and Yakesh... More names then expected roster spots. Is Pino transferring/gone?

- Dcore - If Chesley and Rinzel are both back - how does the back end shake out with Whipple and Gruba being strong recruits expected to join the roster. What happens with Yakesh being undersized and not performing in junior hockey vs. Rud and Begley as guys not getting much ice this year? 9 names for 6-7 spots. 

Goalie - No more Close... I love Airey taking over for the next three years! What does Barto do? Will we have a tandem? 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

I know sometimes us Minnesotans have a bit of a chip on our shoulder so maybe I should just get over it but I was listening to the Spittin Chiclets episode from a couple of weeks ago and they had Bucci on. Of the many topics that they covered, they talked a decent amount about college hockey. Does Bucci have something against the Gophers? Rarely mentioned the Gophers and when he did it was in such an off hand/throw away type of manner. To be clear, a lot of the questions should have brought Minnesota more into the conversation. Questions about the blue bloods, best jerseys, and the top coaches in the game right now. Barely a mention of the Gophs. It was a cycle of the Boston schools, Michigan schools, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. I know he does a lot to grow the game but sometimes his East Coast and Michigan bias is just so utterly transparent. Alright, that’s it. Rant over. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13512
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1746914897533792744

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

I know sometimes us Minnesotans have a bit of a chip on our shoulder so maybe I should just get over it but I was listening to the Spittin Chiclets episode from a couple of weeks ago and they had Bucci on. Of the many topics that they covered, they talked a decent amount about college hockey. Does Bucci have something against the Gophers? Rarely mentioned the Gophers and when he did it was in such an off hand/throw away type of manner. To be clear, a lot of the questions should have brought Minnesota more into the conversation. Questions about the blue bloods, best jerseys, and the top coaches in the game right now. Barely a mention of the Gophs. It was a cycle of the Boston schools, Michigan schools, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. I know he does a lot to grow the game but sometimes his East Coast and Michigan bias is just so utterly transparent. Alright, that’s it. Rant over. 

I follow Bucci on social media, and I don't think he is anti Gophers at all. I know last year, he was all in and talked about the team all the time. He had a man crush on Knies and Brock Faber Scissors. I think that maybe this year since the Gophers are not currently a top 10 team and BU and BC have all of the "shiny toys" he is talking more about them. I'm sure he has a slight East Coast bias, but he doesn't hate the Gophers like the blowhard that calls the games for Duluth IMHO.  

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 821

@jdpuck04 

Here would be my completely guessing guesses to your questions.

1. I would guess Moore stays and Rinzel could be a toss up. He has the body and the offensive skill that NHL teams love. And with Chicago being a dumpster fire, I could see them going either way. Wanting him to stay longer to sort things out or wanting to get him in to train him up "their way".

2. I would also expect Snuggy to be gone. I would expect Chesley to stay. He is not lighting it up this year like I think he can, so another year putting in top pair minutes would be good for him imo. As for the extra year, someone can please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the list is Fish, Nevers and Koster who could come back. And of those 3, I think Nevers would be the one most likely to come back. I have absolutely no idea if any of the 3 would or will be wanted to. Probably depends on how the next couple months go and how the gophs end the season. 

3. Out is Nelson, Brodzy, Snuggy, Michel for forwards. Replacing is Hendrickson, Ziemer, Pahlsson and Falloon. Potentially gone is Nevers for a 1 to 1. I could see Strobel or Pino transferring out. I don't see any of the others forwards leaving or transferring. Maybe Pitty, but I think a probably top 3 minutes next year will keep him here. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I think right now.

Defense is Whipple, Gruba and Yakesh. I would personally, unfortunately, expect Yakesh to not make it here, or just be an extra skater. With Koster and Fish potentially leaving, that is again a 1 to 1. However if either do stay, then we really run a risk for a log jam. Rud and Begley are, unfortunately again, most likely career 7 and 8 dmen. But maybe pull a junior or season year bottom 2. So maybe a transfer from one of them. Although they seem like Gophers to the core like Fish, so we will see. I do like both of them. 

4. My ideal defense next year would be something like

Koster-Chesley

Rinzel-Thomas

Gruba-Middlestadt

Whipple/Rud/Begley

But I really don't know lol. Whipple is too good to be 7th, but I don't know who you take out for him.

5. For goalie, I would only rock one of them. I wouldn't like a tandem. And personally, I think Airey might be that guy. Maybe Barto comes back, maybe he doesn't. But I would only have one be my "starter"

All good questions that will make for an exceptionally fun offseason after April 14th when we take it home. Smile

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Jess with a Gophers quiz. I missed 2 questions.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1746994477112135829

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6031
Post on old board: 16243

Missed the one on number of Gophers on the '60 Olympic team.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5224
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @gator

That one, and Buetow's hometown

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

That one, and Buetow's hometown

Same.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

@boats 

Going into the season I would have said there’s no way Koster comes back but now… may be a possibility. I think there’s still a lingering effect from his knee injury that he might be playing through. He looks visibly slower this year, at least to me. There’s a chance he takes his 5th year to make a stronger impression on the Maple Leafs or to test the free agency market altogether. I’d take him back in a heartbeat. Rinzel and Chesley should both stay.

Boats reacted
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 821

@maroon_and_gold 

Same. I would have expected this to be it, but I agree, the knee looks off and I think he can be a lot better than he has so far this year. But with Toronto's defense being a little bit older and not as good as it has been, he might want to get in the system ASAP. Will be interesting to see.

I definitely think Chesley and Rinzel should come back as well. Like I said up there, he just has the body type that the NHL loves. But I think a couple more pounds and more minutes would do him better than getting in right now. Plus the script has been proven with Faber and Comber getting a lot of minutes in their rookie years. We shall see!

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4889

-Chesley should definitely come back. He has a lot to improve on.

-Hopefully the Blackhawks let Rinzel play another college season. I could see this one going either way.

-Expecting Snuggerud to be gone right after season.

-Expecting Oliver to stick around.

-Hoping Pitlick comes back for senior year

-I am guessing that Koster and Nevers move on after season, but that is just a total guess

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Pitlick is a 4 year player. Also no way Rinzel is one and done imo. Blackhawks are smarter than that.

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1287

I'd be somewhat surprised if Rinzel moved on. The Blackhawks knew he was a long-term project when he was selected. While I am not Blackhawks expert, their recent draft history would indicate they are on board with the NCAA route. Rinzel is in line for heavy minutes next year and his development throughout the course of his first year has been strong.

Same with Moore really.

Koster coming back has appeal, though really creates a logjam at defense. Could get messy and lead to a transfer or two (from a non-Rud/Begley defenseman.

Snuggy is gone.

Pitlick is the big one for me. Has had a strong season, and will be 23 soon. He may want to start his professional career, regardless of what level it is at.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Pitlick is a 4 year player. Also no way Rinzel is one and done imo. Blackhawks are smarter than that.

I certainly agree on both, but who knows what they are thinking.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

From Bob's radio show--

Wally pressed Bob on the goalie situation. He refused to answer if/when Airey would play again. Says he has a plan, but would not give any info to Wally. 

Not sure why Bob is so secretive about the goalies. He said Close is the main guy, but why doesn't he say that Airey may get a game or two in the second half? 

Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 272

From Bob's radio show--

Wally pressed Bob on the goalie situation. He refused to answer if/when Airey would play again. Says he has a plan, but would not give any info to Wally. 

Not sure why Bob is so secretive about the goalies. He said Close is the main guy, but why doesn't he say that Airey may get a game or two in the second half? 

Because if he talks about the secret plan, it's no longer a secret.  

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2276
Post on old board: 15139

I feel like gopher NHL caliber Dmen typically stay 3 years, Rinzel might not be here that long but I also kinda doubt he’s one and done. Johnson, LaCombe, Faber all stayed 3 (4 in Johnson’s case). Schmidt, Skjei, and Reilly stayed 3. Holl stayed 4 though he played forward a bit etc. Beyond that I can’t think of many NHL mainstays unless you go further back to a time where I believe the draft rules were slightly different. 

Leddy is the only one I can think of that was one and done other than EJ but he was a first overall.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Lindgren played 2 seasons and has had a terrific NHL career. Still, it’s few and far between.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2169

Goligoski 3 years

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2276
Post on old board: 15139

Lindgren played 2 seasons and has had a terrific NHL career. Still, it’s few and far between.

Yeah I didn’t mention him because the coaching change might’ve affected that decision. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1747666257938149778

BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 592

There have been a few times this year when Koster has gotten beat at the blue line costing the Gophers a goal.

I know Bob says the team is healthy but it looked like Koster was laboring after the hit last night.  Still doesn’t trust his knee.  

Not sure if it’s worth giving him some more time off with 11 games before the postseason.  Hopefully Rud takes a step here in the back half.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2672

Next 2 weekends will tell the story on if this team is going to make a run at the conference title. Things aren't quite out of touching distance yet, but if it isn't 4/6 pts the next 2 weekends it's just jockeying for position. Also big couple of series to lock up some security in the PWR. 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

Tbh if we get three plus points each of the next two weekends I’ll be fine. Especially if our overall play is solid. But it would be nice to sweep Wisconsin after what happened in October. They’re obviously a lot better than they were last year and Hastings has done a heck of a job but I don’t think that series against them this past fall tells the whole story of where these two teams are compared to one another. You know the boys are going to be out for revenge. I’d take 2/3 points out of East Lansing if we got 5/6 out of Madison. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Interesting to note: Bryce Brodzinski has already surpassed his assist total from last season despite his line not scoring as much🤔

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Tbh if we get three plus points each of the next two weekends I’ll be fine. Especially if our overall play is solid. But it would be nice to sweep Wisconsin after what happened in October. They’re obviously a lot better than they were last year and Hastings has done a heck of a job but I don’t think that series against them this past fall tells the whole story of where these two teams are compared to one another. You know the boys are going to be out for revenge. I’d take 2/3 points out of East Lansing if we got 5/6 out of Madison. 

Honestly a split each weekend and I’m fine. I hope they win Friday in Madison so they can gun for that revenge sweep at the toilet center.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2738
Post on old board: 15478

Interesting to note: Bryce Brodzinski has already surpassed his assist total from last season despite his line not scoring as much🤔

Brodzinski should shoot from anywhere inside the blue line. His shot can go in from anywhere. If he's not scoring, they become a defensive grind line, which isn't a terrible thing...but the team is better when Brodz shoots the puck.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Just received my season ticket renewal email. Prices are the same for my seats as this year, including the parking pass.  Deadline to renew is May 9th.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7853
Post on old board: 10120

Just received my season ticket renewal email. Prices are the same for my seats as this year, including the parking pass.  Deadline to renew is May 9th.

i haven’t had time yet to verify for those of us in the cheap seats if our prices technically won’t stay the same if we want to keep the parking pass or gopher score benefits.  
i swear they ask earlier for renewal $ every year.  I’ll keep my money in my bank for now, thank you very much. 😆

MG since forever
(@mg-since-forever)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 157

So as I have said in other threads, I am a sort of speculative on #22.  I appreciate his effort to be a more complete player but also want him to realize his gift is shooting.  Just shoot.  He isn't a great passer, and certainly isn't strong on coming out of the corners with the puck.  His line mates ARE those things even though as noted they are hugely hammered if that line doesn't produce.  I will defend #24 all day because SOMEONE needs to take some defensive responsibility on that line and he is excellent at that.  If people think they slack and glide at times I do understand but hockey has many skill sets and Nelson is a big center with huge stride (much faster than people think but it is deceptive) and enormous cover range on defense with a bonus of a pretty good set of hands for someone with a 7 ft stick.  These guys are not the slick run and gun line but still provide invaluable service to this team.  Sorry... just sick of the criticism. line bashing.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

Thinking of buying the ticket package for all big ten tournament games.  Anyone have experience with that?  Will I end up with individual game tickets that can be sold off if I can't make it to the game? 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5224
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @idontknow

Thinking of buying the ticket package for all big ten tournament games.  Anyone have experience with that?  Will I end up with individual game tickets that can be sold off if I can't make it to the game? 

Yes, there will be individual tickets you can sell/transfer.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Idontknow reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Good to see.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1750210215687987404

Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 272

@frozen4champs 

But Bonin told me that no one cares about Penn State and never will

Rau4SkiUMah, upnorthkid, MikeEruzione11 and 1 people reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11564
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @hey_sioux_suck

@frozen4champs 

PSU counted this as three shots on goal.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Who else has been impressed with John Mittelstadt’s game this year?(and last year)

Talk about your ideal 4th liner. If the whole team played hockey the way John Mittelstadt plays hockey they’d be undefeated.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Who else has been impressed with John Mittelstadt’s game this year?(and last year)

Talk about your ideal 4th liner. If the whole team played hockey the way John Mittelstadt plays hockey they’d be undefeated.

He knows his role and he plays it very well.

I hope next year he gets a bigger chance at penalty kill minutes. Seems perfect for it.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Good to see.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1750210215687987404

Very nice. Hopefully this provides momentum to get Friday sold out also.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6031
Post on old board: 16243

What's making Saturday's game vs. PSU (3pm) such a hot ticket?

My only guess is 3pm puck drop, could means lots of families and youth teams.

Keep your stick on the ice...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

It is either a post game Taylor Swift concert ....

or this...

• FAN APPRECIATION NIGHT - The first 5,000 fans will receive FREE belt bags!

😉 😉 😉 

rowshkex
(@rowshkex)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 343
Post on old board: 5728

or this...

😉 😉 😉 

People don't show up for giveaways I hear.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2672

or this...

😉 😉 😉 

Can’t wait for my Fanny pack

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Animated GIF

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @upnorthkid

or this...

😉 😉 😉 

Can’t wait for my Fanny pack

if only the youth of today knew how to wear them properly. 😂

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @hey_sioux_suck

@frozen4champs 

I don’t give a rats ass about penn state! but I Looooove the Gophers (no matter who they play 😉)

frozen4champs, Amonte_10, Rau4SkiUMah and 1 people reacted

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1750918404813226266

Page 9 / 15