332 Reactions
30.9 K Views
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4873
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

That’s what the fans were clamoring for when attendance was down so that’s what they scheduled for the foreseeable future. Is it repetitive? Sure. But it puts butts in seats which is most important in my opinion.

Then they aren't Gopher fans imho.  If you are a fan you go to see the Gophs not who they play.

The Old WCHA is dead...bury it and move on.

MNNavy, g-manpuck, Slap Shot and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5013
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @handyman

That’s what the fans were clamoring for when attendance was down so that’s what they scheduled for the foreseeable future. Is it repetitive? Sure. But it puts butts in seats which is most important in my opinion.

Then they aren't Gopher fans imho.  If you are a fan you go to see the Gophs not who they play.

Also, when attendance was down, these same teams made up the bulk of the non-conference schedule.  Pre-Notre Dame in the B1G, we had FOUR weekends against the Minnesota teams.  2 at home, 1 road, 1 the tournament at the X

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1456
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @steve-mn

Also, when attendance was down, these same teams made up the bulk of the non-conference schedule.  Pre-Notre Dame in the B1G, we had FOUR weekends against the Minnesota teams.  2 at home, 1 road, 1 the tournament at the X

The UMD game Nov. 3rd at Mariucci SOLD OUT. The Gopher game Nov 4th at Amsoil SOLD OUT. When the  Gophers host North Dakota the games typically sell out, same when the Gophers travel to tRalph. But we all have opinions…

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5013
Post on old board: 10695

And, during the down years for attendance, North Dakota at Mariucci didn't sell out, and was around 50% North Dakota Fans.

Comparing a year coming off of back-to-back Frozen 4 Appearances to the down years for Gopher attendance is kinda silly.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7800
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @steve-mn

And, during the down years for attendance, North Dakota at Mariucci didn't sell out, and was around 50% North Dakota Fans.

Comparing a year coming off of back-to-back Frozen 4 Appearances to the down years for Gopher attendance is kinda silly.

Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em!

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4873
Post on old board: 28736

I'm not against playing them sometimes but one of the reasons the WCHA died was because too many schools needed us to make their budget.  Apparently that hasn't changed...

I would rather fly East every other year than play a second rate WCHA schedule. 

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2494
Post on old board: 6782

I'm not against playing them sometimes but one of the reasons the WCHA died was because too many schools needed us to make their budget.  Apparently that hasn't changed...

This was ABSOLUTELY the case here in Mankato pre-Mike Hastings.  Mav fans came to see who the opponent was, not to watch the Mavs.  Now, they don't sell out weekends when Lake Superior or Ferris State are in town but having a winning program bumped attendance numbers nearly 1,000 fans per game from the Jutting era.  Near sellouts only happen yet when the Gophers, Bulldogs, and the like play here in Mankato yet.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4803

Feel like I’m beating a dead horse here, so it’ll be my last point on this topic for awhile, but…

How is Strobel getting scratched for Pino? It genuinely baffles me. 

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2457

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Feel like I’m beating a dead horse here, so it’ll be my last point on this topic for awhile, but…

How is Strobel getting scratched for Pino? It genuinely baffles me. 

I have also beaten this poor deceased steed. But I agree, I genuinely don’t get it. Maybe Bob is trying to give Pino a few more chances and draw it out of him. But as we’ve said before, he’s much better than last year but I just can’t look at the roster and confidently argue to put him in over anyone else. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7869

Pino is a Bob guy. Flipped from St. Cloud to Minnesota when Motzko was hired. Simply a case of Motzko favoring one over the other. I agree Strobel is more effective than Pino in pretty much every aspect of the game.

My only thought process for keeping him in is the potential for an offensive spark (which we’ve seen little to nothing of for 1 and a half years). He scored at high rates in juniors, has not translated to college yet.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 535

Pino is a Bob guy. Flipped from St. Cloud to Minnesota when Motzko was hired. Simply a case of Motzko favoring one over the other. I agree Strobel is more effective than Pino in pretty much every aspect of the game.

My only thought process for keeping him in is the potential for an offensive spark (which we’ve seen little to nothing of for 1 and a half years). He scored at high rates in juniors, has not translated to college yet.

Neither Pino nor Strobel were that productive at the junior level.  I would like to see Bob use the portal a bit more.  I understand being loyal, but you need it selectively to compete.  Reference Clemson football.

ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 441

Regarding the Pino/Strobel topic, too many players on this team will just disappear for stretches and play with no intensity. How do you keep one of the few players out of the lineup (Strobel) who appears to give full effort every time on the ice?

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @gopherpete

Regarding the Pino/Strobel topic, too many players on this team will just disappear for stretches and play with no intensity. How do you keep one of the few players out of the lineup (Strobel) who appears to give full effort every time on the ice?

Bingo

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @boninthebear

Neither Pino nor Strobel were that productive at the junior level.  I would like to see Bob use the portal a bit more.  I understand being loyal, but you need it selectively to compete.  Reference Clemson football.

Pino was leading his bad Sioux Falls team in points when he went down with an injury in 21-22. Leading a USHL team in points usually means you’re a pretty good player. Hasn’t translated for whatever reason.

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13211
Post on old board: 9626

I really like the countdown video before the game with the song chains. My only suggestion is when the clock gets to .6, that they stop the clock and flash the "goal" and then resume the countdown. That would have made the video perfect.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2373

Posted by: @frozen4champs

I really like the countdown video before the game with the song chains. My only suggestion is when the clock gets to .6, that they stop the clock and flash the "goal" and then resume the countdown. That would have made the video perfect.

I told my hubby as we watched it, oh please please please show the goal at .6!  But alas ☹️

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5552
Post on old board: 15786

I sent this over to the hockey SID, we'll see if they change it at some point.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Does anyone know why the All American murals haven't been updated yet? Was it delayed because of the construction this summer? 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

The U is running Black Friday ticket sales again this year. So here is your chance to get a deal on the tickets.

https://gophersports.com/news/2023/11/20/gopher-athletics-set-to-offer-black-friday-cyber-monday-deals?utm_medium=email&elq_cid=180866&RSRC=Email&RDAT=3047&ehash=6525785cd9589272070ba75fab0148c749b6471aa288e22a7cc2981e3b076f0b

MINNEAPOLIS - Gopher Athletics will once again offer fans exclusive Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals this year. The deals, presented by ORORO Heated Apparel, begin at 9 a.m. CT on Friday, Nov. 24 and run through 11:59 p.m. CT on Monday, Nov. 27.

Men's hockey fans will have chances to obtain discounted prices on six different events starting Nov. 24. Black Friday deals are available in match-ups against Michigan State, Colorado College, Robert Morris, Ohio State, and Penn Stat

ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

Smash park in Roseville has ginormous big screens. I think I found a new fun place to watch away Gopher hockey games.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Fish has joined Dinkytown Athletes. 

https://twitter.com/Carl13Fish/status/1729214703736680892

ReplyQuote
Any Road
(@any-road)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 444

I need me some big tuna merch asap.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

From Bob's radio show--

--Airey should be cleared to practice this week.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1729538658774982914

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

A lot of discussion has been made of the young D corps. I know Staudacher wasn’t the most offensively gifted player but he played with some grit and knew the college game. Any idea why he transferred after redshirting last year? I feel like we could have used another vet back there. 

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 354

One item from Bobs show that I don’t love. He briefly mentions again how the portal can transform a team quickly. I hope learns from the these other teams and utilizes it a little more. I don’t really want us to flip our rosters every year but UND, Mich St. and WI are showing how valuable it can be. He needs to adapt a little here IMO. I love his recruiting and how he builds a roster but a couple portal guys here or there could put us over the top!

ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

One item from Bobs show that I don’t love. He briefly mentions again how the portal can transform a team quickly. I hope learns from the these other teams and utilizes it a little more. I don’t really want us to flip our rosters every year but UND, Mich St. and WI are showing how valuable it can be. He needs to adapt a little here IMO. I love his recruiting and how he builds a roster but a couple portal guys here or there could put us over the top!

I get the allure of the portal, and it makes sense if you have an open slot on the team.  However, if you have a full pipeline, like Bob usually does, and even plan for a couple of early departures, which it appears Bob has mostly covered (Cooley the notable exception) then your options are limited.  You can try and push one of your commits out a year; remove a scholarship from an existing player; or try and convince someone to come in as a walk-on.  I just wonder if continually pursuing transfers will have an impact on the initial recruiting process and make kids think twice about committing to a team that is continually mining the portal for a quick fix?  

ReplyQuote

Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level

I tend to agree. We need to be selective. 

Although, I have heard Bob mention the portal now a handful of times and to me it comes across a little like, “they use the portal and now they are good” and it seems like a little bit of an excuse. We need to use it to our advantage then too. If Bob feels like it isn’t a long term solution to build a roster, I think he should avoid bringing it up. Just how it comes across to me. 

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 254

Posted by: @joegopher

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

I get the allure of the portal, and it makes sense if you have an open slot on the team.  However, if you have a full pipeline, like Bob usually does, and even plan for a couple of early departures, which it appears Bob has mostly covered (Cooley the notable exception) then your options are limited.  You can try and push one of your commits out a year; remove a scholarship from an existing player; or try and convince someone to come in as a walk-on.  I just wonder if continually pursuing transfers will have an impact on the initial recruiting process and make kids think twice about committing to a team that is continually mining the portal for a quick fix?  

D1 athletics has always been a cutthroat business. It’s become even more so since the introduction of NIL and the transfer portal. Difficult conversations have always been had between coaches and players. You can’t factor in a potential recruits feelings into the equation. North Dakota’s pipeline looks plenty healthy, and they’ve gone heavy on the portal the last 2 seasons. Players will always want to come to Minnesota.

Besides, it’s not like anyone on here is suggesting Minnesota to go heavy on the portal. Since we all know defense and experience (i.e. older players) win national championships in todays college hockey, I don’t understand why the staff didn’t add 2 upperclassmen defenseman from the portal to sure up their D core. Unrestricted free agency is here and here to stay. Use it!

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

I agree no one is suggesting they need to rely heavily on the portal, yet there also seems to be a bit of an over-resction to as of now a one year outlier for possibly missing out. And the season isn't even half-over. Also I don't take Bob's comments to suggest he's going to refuse to use it completely. We'll see.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1729991388291350996

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2147
Post on old board: 15139

Who exactly did people want to get rid of and which portal player did they want them replaced with? This conversation is pretty pointless in the abstract.  

gopherfun83 reacted
ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 254

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Who exactly did people want to get rid of and which portal player did they want them replaced with? This conversation is pretty pointless in the abstract.  

Oh I don’t know but just to name a few maybe go after Spencer Cox, Luke Bast (tough ask coming from the hawks), Marshall Warren, Ryan Siedem, Tanner Palocsik, Nick Hale, Davis Pennington, and Brandon Koch (local kid).

Or how about battle it out with Nodak for Garett Pyke, Logan Britt, and Keaton Pehrson. What the staff decided to do was go out and do a panic buy in Alex Begley and bring in an unknown commodity in Max Rud. The portal should be used as a tool to mitigate roster turnover.

And who knows maybe a player that was considering the portal and didn’t, would’ve if they knew Minnesota was in the market. But you’ll never know if you don’t bother shaking the tree.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Fair enough, it seemed like people were saying the gophers should be getting a higher percentage of their roster from the portal but if the main goal was to get a couple depth dmen that makes more sense. I assume most in the portal aren’t looking to be a 7th Dman (unless you’re trying to replace Fish as the 6th). But if they could use it to upgrade there I’m not against the idea. 

ReplyQuote

Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level

My original point with my post about Bob’s comments on the portal was this:  

To me, he’s saying teams are using the portal to become good very quickly, but there’s nothing stopping him from doing the same if he wants. Just a weird thing to keep brining up when we have the same ability to use it. I personally do not like the idea of using it heavily either and I think he should just stop bringing it up. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Is he mentioning it contextually with a question being asked or just bringing it up willy nilly?

I guess I don't get the angst over it.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/NHLdotcom/status/1730221391624974523

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4803

Both of these articles have Snuggerud, Moore, Chesley, and Rinzel on the projected World Junior Roster as of now.

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/11538803-2024-world-juniors-team-usa-roster-updates-bubble-watch

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/what-usas-2024-world-junior-championship-roster-could-look-like

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1044
Post on old board: 8405

https://twitter.com/NHLdotcom/status/1730221391624974523

Chesley has been up and down this year.  As of late much better

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2517

I know it's still early, but USCHOs B10 article this week got me thinking.

Why is it the B10 is sagged so far in terms of PWR this year versus years prior? Currently no 1 or 2 seeds 3 3s and then teams on the bubble. The conference again has the best winning % of any conference with a losing winning % against HE just barely but HE has BC, BU, Maine, UMass, and Providence ahead of any B10 team. The article also goes further to say that the room to improve massively isn't really there (unless obviously one team wins a ton of games and others sag). Is this a year the B10 is going to cannibalize itself out of seeding and bounce multiple teams, or is it far too early to tell and more ground will be made up than is thought?  Just thought it was thought provoking given most of the time I ignore PWR prior to the holiday break. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4458
Post on old board: 12555

My guess is strength of schedule is not in the B1G's favor.

PSU Non-Conference Opponents

LIU, Clakson, St Lawrence, AIC, AA, Lindenwood.  Absolute garbage NC opponents.

OSU Non-Conference Opponents

Mercyhurst, Lindenwood, UNO, Princeton, Bowling Green.  Garbage, except UNO who is only half decent.

Wisconsin Non-Conference Opponents

Augustana, Bemidji, NoDak, MTU, AA.  One game vs UND and then garbage

MSU Non-Conference Opponents

Lake St, AFA, Canisius, BC  Two respectable games vs BC.  Then garbage.

Minnesota, Michigan, and Notre Dame are playing decent NC schedules and the rest of the B1G are racking up wins against the bottom 10-15 teams in D1 hockey.  Even MN played Duluth who is normally a good opponent for SOS, but they are sitting at 47 in PWR.

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1224
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @upnorthkid

I know it's still early, but USCHOs B10 article this week got me thinking.

Why is it the B10 is sagged so far in terms of PWR this year versus years prior? Currently no 1 or 2 seeds 3 3s and then teams on the bubble. The conference again has the best winning % of any conference with a losing winning % against HE just barely but HE has BC, BU, Maine, UMass, and Providence ahead of any B10 team. The article also goes further to say that the room to improve massively isn't really there (unless obviously one team wins a ton of games and others sag). Is this a year the B10 is going to cannibalize itself out of seeding and bounce multiple teams, or is it far too early to tell and more ground will be made up than is thought?  Just thought it was thought provoking given most of the time I ignore PWR prior to the holiday break. 

I was looking at some numbers on USCHO earlier this week. The Big Ten is 3-6 vs Hockey East. Only conference we have a losing record against. I think that’s what’s causing the Hockey East teams to be in a better position. There aren’t many more games this year that are Big Ten vs Hockey East matchups so not a lot of room for improvement. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1730329762743066922

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Obviously Clark coming in a year early this season is a direct impact to Cooley leaving. But just imagine if Cooley was still on this team and Clark was slotted to come in this year regardless. Cooley-Nelson-Huglen-Clark down the middle would be something else. 

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Posted by: @bertogliat

My guess is strength of schedule is not in the B1G's favor.

I would imagine not winning many head to head matchups vs hockey east (or just a lack of comparisons in general) isn’t helping. Unless that isn’t a huge factor in PWR (?) but I assume it matters. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Another player added to Dinkytown Athletes.

https://twitter.com/charlie_strobel/status/1730411763835773333

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Perhaps a stupid question - why wouldn't every player 'join' DA?

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2517

Posted by: @slap-shot

can do things on own. Unsure but DTA may do a “split pot” model with things being divided amongst a team and may have mandated “appearances” each player has to do to be part of it, which some may wish to opt out of. Not like it’s just necessarily free money to be part of the collective

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Posted by: @slap-shot

can do things on own. Unsure but DTA may do a “split pot” model with things being divided amongst a team and may have mandated “appearances” each player has to do to be part of it, which some may wish to opt out of. Not like it’s just necessarily free money to be part of the collective

I get the 'split-pot' angle, but if the top-end players for the most part opt in, how much opportunity is there for some of these players to earn NIL on their own?

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 15