80 Users
332 Reactions
31.2 K Views
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11345
Post on old board: 21741

A few weeks into the season I think the $100K question is did MN play bad against the red pukes because they were horsebleep or did the red team cause MN to play horsebleep?   Certainly hope it's the former.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gophers2023
(@gophers2023)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 367

Wisconsin is for real. 

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

Nah the Gophers will sweep them in Madison and beat them again if they play in the Big tourney.

Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 571

Posted by: @greyeagle

A few weeks into the season I think the $100K question is did MN play bad against the red pukes because they were horsebleep or did the red team cause MN to play horsebleep?   Certainly hope it's the former.  

The latter 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4807

Jimmy Clark and Sam Rinzel have been huge pleasant surprises so far

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Gophers2023
(@gophers2023)
Wooger Level

Clark has been great on the 4th line.

Rinzel has cemented top 4 status over Thomas already. 

Chesley, Kurth, and Pino and really all of the huge sophomore class needs to step it up for the team to get on a roll. Mittelstadt and Lamb are hard to be found lately.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Yeah on the flip side we need more from Kurth and Mittelstadt. Chesley needs to limit mistakes. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4508
Post on old board: 12555

I thought Strobel looked like the best 4th liner.  That line played great last night.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7890

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Jimmy Clark and Sam Rinzel have been huge pleasant surprises so far

Clark knows his role and plays it so well. That whole 4th line has been exactly what you want out of a 4th line. I think J Mittelstadt should sub in for Pino but I don’t think Bob is willing to bench Pino for long periods of time. Strobel and Clark should be in every game from here on out.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Yeah on the flip side we need more from Kurth and Mittelstadt. Chesley needs to limit mistakes. 

Chesley has bouts of turnover-itis, but his physical skill set is very reminiscent of Brock Faber. He just isn’t on that level yet, obviously.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @gopherfun83

Nah the Gophers will sweep them in Madison and beat them again if they play in the Big tourney.

In all seriousness, how fun is that series gonna be in February? Kohl Center will be the Kohl Center of old. Super electric. And you know the Gophers are gonna come out with their best after what happened in Mariucci this year. If there ever was a series to make the drive down to Madison…

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2458

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Chesley has bouts of turnover-itis, but his physical skill set is very reminiscent of Brock Faber. He just isn’t on that level yet, obviously.

I don’t really remember this being a problem with him last year. As others have mentioned, he had a lot of ice time against two tough opponents all while being banged up. The kid is an absolute stud and I don’t foresee it being a problem for very long. He cleans that up, and quickly, and I have no problem saying he is our second or third best defenseman. 

Gophers2023
(@gophers2023)
Wooger Level

I don't understand the comparison at all. Faber's strength is that he's a hockey genius and has insane positioning and stick positioning. 

Chesley is more like a Lindgren Lite. Realistically we can hope end of sophomore year Chesley is the same as end of freshman year Lindgren. And end of junior year Chesley = end of sophomore year Lindgren.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

I don’t really remember this being a problem with him last year. As others have mentioned, he had a lot of ice time against two tough opponents all while being banged up. The kid is an absolute stud and I don’t foresee it being a problem for very long. He cleans that up, and quickly, and I have no problem saying he is our second or third best defenseman. 

It was a bit of a problem last year too it just wasn’t magnified as much cause he wasn’t playing nearly as many minutes as this year.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

It was a bit of a problem last year too it just wasn’t magnified as much cause he wasn’t playing nearly as many minutes as this year.

It was definitely a problem last year. Like you said, it wasn’t as noticeable with a dominant team and less playing time. 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

That’s a good point and fair enough. Hopefully it gets worked out because, like I said, I feel like he’s a really solid player. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13267
Post on old board: 9626

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a fan of the Gophers being locked in to play The Whioux and Duluth every year. That takes care of 2 of the 5 potential non conference series. I would be willing to bet that one of the remaining 3 will be from SCSU, Kato or St Thomas. That leaves 2 series left. One will be a cupcake for sure ( Robert Morris like ). That leaves 1 series for a different team. IF/WHEN the B1G expands to 8 teams, that may eliminate up to 2 series as well, depending if they go with a true "everyone plays everyone twice schedule". I would rather that they pick either The Whioux or Duluth and play them every year. ( I get that a lot of people love the Duluth trip, so maybe stick with them ) The other one can go into the rotation with the other MN schools. I like to see a variety of teams, not just the same old teams every year. (we normally see one of those teams in the regionals anyway). That is my 2 cents worth. 

* I also get it that most major east coast programs don't want to travel to Mariucci and would rather have the home game revenue. I also get the Gophers playing the MN it saves the U money.  

https://twitter.com/evegoe/status/1721951976265560553

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

HandyNotDan and Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5054
Post on old board: 10695

I completely agree.  I've been saying for years that I want some variety in the non-conference schedule.  It doesn't need to be 80% Minnesota Teams/NoDak.   One or two weekends a year against that group is plenty for me.

But, with the financials the way they are, getting the U to commit to traveling to the east coast to get a HE/ECAC team in, likely won't happen on anything approaching a frequent basis.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1231

Obviously UMD is locked for the foreseeable future, but isn't UND off the schedule? Would love east coast trips but a Denver/CC type of jaunt may be more realistic.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5598
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @bluebandit24

Obviously UMD is locked for the foreseeable future, but isn't UND off the schedule? Would love east coast trips but a Denver/CC type of jaunt may be more realistic.

UND is not on next year, but in 25/26 they start a new 4 year contract.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

BlueBandit24 reacted
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

UND is not on next year, but in 25/26 they start a new 4 year contract.

Totally missed that. Thank you.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7876
Post on old board: 18942

I see no reason why the school couldn't afford an HEA trip every other year, if even for just a handful of years with reciprocation.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I'd be good with Denver, CC, Air Force, a couple East Coast teams.  Just some variety instead of the set conference schedule, then 80% of the non-conference games being from the same 5-6 teams every year.

Gophers2023
(@gophers2023)
Wooger Level

Adding a Big Ten school and losing two non-conference series will not help ticket demand at all. I bet the Gopher powers that be would push to keep the 24 game conference schedule even with 8 teams.

For all the talk on here about mixing up the opponents, money talks and that's why you see the old WCHA rivals year in and year out. I enjoyed the UST series more than series against all but three (and really more like two) Big Ten opponents. That says a lot.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Would live MN to schedule a home and home with Maine and/or Vermont.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gophers2023
(@gophers2023)
Wooger Level

The Gophers should not be scared to put a team like Maine or Vermont in the "cupcake" spot. That is, get rid of it.

Also, I hadn't realized 28 games conference schedules seem to be a thing of the past, so if they add an 8th Big Ten school they'll surely keep it 24 games.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1332
Post on old board: 5547

@frozen4champs 

what about games with JAN or Mankato State home and home ?

Aloha!

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Personally the only non conference I really like to see annually is North Dakota. I know that we won’t play them next year but other than that make it a regular occurrence as much as possible. It’s such a great series and both teams and fan bases really get up for it. Other than that I would be happy with rotating through the Minnesota teams, Denver or CC, and maybe a lighter East Coast team. Maine, Vermont, UNH, etc. If it works to play BC or BU every once and awhile then great but I don’t need to see them on regular basis. Again this is all just personal preference. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1874

Isnt that a bit too far for a home and home series? ?

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @gopher6

@frozen4champs 

what about games with JAN or Mankato State home and home ?

For me, not every year. Add them to the rotation mix. Once every 4 years is fine with me. I know Bob said it is important to keep the Mn schools on the schedule, but I don't want to see them every year. Like I said, with Duluth and the Whioux locked in, I don't want to see more than 1 more series a year with other Mn schools. Though, I would rather play Jan home and home in 1 year than have 2 each in each barn for 2 years. Same with Kato and St Thomas.  BSU would be a tough home and home unless it was Fri-Sun. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @youngeagle

Jeremy Clarkson Prime Video GIF by The Grand Tour

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

Jeremy Clarkson Prime Video GIF by The Grand Tour

Online Dating Lose GIF

It’s fun I can still bug you from my home! 

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 877
Post on old board: 5335

Will be interesting to see what they do next year with no North Dakota on the schedule AND an extra two games thanks to playing in the IceBreaker.  Would assume that extra series will need to be at home, but would hope they might get someone interesting rather than what's more likely like an Augustana type.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2524

Personally Duluth and UND are the two id like to see regularly (and would be ok with them every year). I don’t care about Jan or Kato. Then throw in your cupcake and then something different every year with the likes of Den, BC, BU, etc and that’s what I’d want every year. The guys love playing UND and Duluth and the fan bases get up for it. The premier east coast and schools like Denver are just fun games/series. Would like to keep one “easy” series on the schedule as it helps with scheduling at a time when we may be down guys or just coming back and to get some of the lower roster guys some run.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

I would prefer we stop pretending we can only ay old WCHA schools...it's boring.

frozen4champs, Bertogliat, Steve MN and 2 people reacted

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

That’s what the fans were clamoring for when attendance was down so that’s what they scheduled for the foreseeable future. Is it repetitive? Sure. But it puts butts in seats which is most important in my opinion.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1477
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Personally Duluth and UND are the two id like to see regularly (and would be ok with them every year). I don’t care about Jan or Kato. Then throw in your cupcake and then something different every year with the likes of Den, BC, BU, etc and that’s what I’d want every year. The guys love playing UND and Duluth and the fan bases get up for it. The premier east coast and schools like Denver are just fun games/series. Would like to keep one “easy” series on the schedule as it helps with scheduling at a time when we may be down guys or just coming back and to get some of the lower roster guys some run.

I tend to agree with the above, I’m old enough to remember watching the Gophers & Bulldogs playing as the only MN schools. And ya gotta want to play the hated Sioux. As long as tBob is HC, they’ll play all the MN schools on a regular basis, plus it’s less expensive from a travel standpoint (factoring in it’s not exactly cheap to fly to Happy Valley, Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Columbus or South Bend, which are givens). An occasion series with the Boston schools, Denver or CC is great. But nothing’s changing in the short run, despite whatever sentiments or preferences fans have…

gopher6 reacted
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2876
Post on old board: 7833

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

https://twitter.com/GopherPuckLive/status/1720786076686516583?s=20

Get your own board!

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2402

Posted by: @iceburg

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/big-ten/gophers-coach-channels-legendary-hoops-hothead-bob-knight-in-dealing-with-stick-penalties

AKA a “time out”.  Moms have used that technique with toddlers for decades.  

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @kelly-red

AKA a “time out”.  Moms have used that technique with toddlers for decades. 

I think @youngeagle got out of his last timeout 2 days before his wedding.  ? 

Eric Vegoe reacted
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Now he is in a permanent timeout...

Laughing Out Loud  

Get your own board!

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Laughing Out Loud  

I hope he enjoyed his two days of freedom.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

Laughing Out Loud  

When I first read via email this I thought I had gotten the Ban Hammer Treatment.  So happy to see that wasn't the case... yet

Big Ten Gophers GIF by Goldy the Gopher - University of Minnesota

Slap Shot and Greyeagle reacted
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Laughing Out Loud  

When I first read via email this I thought I had gotten the Ban Hammer Treatment.  So happy to see that wasn't the case... yet 

The timeout of "marriage"

Get your own board!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Apologies if this was shared. Looks like Airey had a setback. Close may get every game (health permitting):

https://twitter.com/evegoe/status/1723124409299276090?t=B1zsonrAQCQMnRaDeaklBg&s=19

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

From Bob's radio show--

Gave props to Kurth. He got injured at practice on Thursday. Bob didn't think he could go, but Kurth said he is playing and gutted it out.

Said injuries have interrupted practice. Today ( Monday ) they had a full roster practice minus Airey.

Lines will look different again this week. He wants to get Lamb in a center, so he may have to break up the Kurth-Clark-Lamb line this week.

They had a week when they had 1 goalie at practice because of injuries.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Feels kind of like the fall of ‘21 where much of our team, including Meyers, were just walking wounded and soon after we got the team healthy is when we started finally really clicking. Hopefully this year it doesn’t take until Jan/Feb like the 2021-22 season. 

Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 370

Well I was too late for game thread, but wanted to post since I had my first trip to Yost on Friday.  Was in Detroit for work and occurred to me I could make the game.

Yost was not impressive.  Do they take prospects there or stear them clear?  How do they get them to commit?  Locker rooms must be nice.

Before game was standing in front of MI player pics on wall when a couple came down and pointed at a pic behind me and said it was their son.  I turned to see it was Fantilli's pic.  So I asked "Does Adam feel any guilt for getting the Hobey when Knies was the best all around player last year?"

Ok, at least that is what I asked in my head.

Was surrounded by Wolverine fans, with a loud Gopher fan few rows ahead. Figured I'd maybe introduce myself to him between periods but he started screaming 'SHOOT' all the time.  (I did agree with him sometimes.)  But when he yelled a couple times "Koster you suck" I knew he was a superior judge of talent and hockey to me so I didn't try to strike up a conversation.

Was fun feel the disappointment all around me as the Gophs came back and won.

Watched the stream the next night in the hotel.  Somebody needs to do that color guy a favor and tell him to change majors if he is a communication major.  He will never be hired for TV, radio, audio books reader, arena announcer, etc. unless he is fluent in sign.  I suppose maybe a cartoon character is one option.

Overall fun weekend.  There appears to be a lot more potential than what we have seen so far, if Bob can get them there.  Would be nice to see PP start clicking a little. Hopefully the connections and consistency will build as the year goes on.

Page 6 / 15