733 Posts
80 Users
332 Reactions
31.3 K Views
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1252

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1712958894560231485?t=J_y4bG8OXH9oV_0AjVQcIg&s=19

Wrong thread but gotta emphasize them.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

I'm still catching up, but do we know anything about the current state of the relationship between the U and BSN?  If so, have they officially parted ways or is it more of a wait and see how the restructuring goes?  Or something else?  Even though things haven't been great for awhile, I keep hoping BSN turns things around.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626

Posted by: @thinkbui

I'm still catching up, but do we know anything about the current state of the relationship between the U and BSN?  If so, have they officially parted ways or is it more of a wait and see how the restructuring goes?  Or something else?  Even though things haven't been great for awhile, I keep hoping BSN turns things around.

For this year the Gophers are done with Ballys. Can't speak for the future. I did see that Scripps Sports is trying to get into the regional sports game out west. That may be an option in the future. So, BTN, BTN+, Fox9, and Fox9+ are the main sources for the video content this year. There are a couple of 1 offs including Peacock and FS1.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Posted by: @thinkbui

For this year the Gophers are done with Ballys. Can't speak for the future. I did see that Scripps Sports is trying to get into the regional sports game out west. That may be an option in the future. So, BTN, BTN+, Fox9, and Fox9+ are the main sources for the video content this year. There are a couple of 1 offs including Peacock and FS1.

Thx.  Yeah, I figured it was still uncertain what the future will be.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7906

With BU losing two games this weekend (one of them an exhibition) the Gophers will almost certainly be #1 come Monday, which I hate in October.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

@maroon_and_gold Bob has shown he can keep this team at 1 all year and have them firing. I’m not worried. They should continue to be hungry in spite of the ranking

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Worrying about rankings in October is like worrying about retirement when you graduate high school.

Zwak and Steve MN reacted
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5599
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @cowgirl

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1710686464474743040?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Just an FYI... The different jerseys the team wears cost $240/ea to start. They come with the main logo on the front of the jersey. Then they send them out to get numbers and names. So they are NOT cheap at all. This is all due to Nike. If it was a different company like GA out of Edina, they would be about half that cost. But the team is stuck with Nike due to school contracts.

All of the jerseys were ordered in October of LAST YEAR. They were not ready for media day and only showed up a few days before the BSU game. They wore the road version at the BSU game because they knew they needed to get that set lettered and numbered first. So they were the first to get completed. Then they went to work on the home whites.

The gold ones are likely being stitched up now and are not ready yet... But may get done this week. (Wear them in Grand Forks!). The 4th jersey has not arrived yet.

So it is literally taking a full year (or more) from when the order was made for the order to get fulfilled by Nike. This contract with Nike that the school has is just awful for hockey. But the team has no other choice.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

dxmnkd316, Any Road, Cowgirl and 1 people reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5062
Post on old board: 10695

Thanks for the explanation, Jup.  I knew this was a mess, but hadn't realized it was this bad.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 441

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @cowgirl

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1710686464474743040?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Just an FYI... The different jerseys the team wears cost $240/ea to start. They come with the main logo on the front of the jersey. Then they send them out to get numbers and names. So they are NOT cheap at all. This is all due to Nike. If it was a different company like GA out of Edina, they would be about half that cost. But the team is stuck with Nike due to school contracts.

All of the jerseys were ordered in October of LAST YEAR. They were not ready for media day and only showed up a few days before the BSU game. They wore the road version at the BSU game because they knew they needed to get that set lettered and numbered first. So they were the first to get completed. Then they went to work on the home whites.

The gold ones are likely being stitched up now and are not ready yet... But may get done this week. (Wear them in Grand Forks!). The 4th jersey has not arrived yet.

So it is literally taking a full year (or more) from when the order was made for the order to get fulfilled by Nike. This contract with Nike that the school has is just awful for hockey. But the team has no other choice.

Jup maybe you don't know this, but any chance Vintage MN Hockey will offer this years jerseys on their site?

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Posted by: @gopherpete

Jup maybe you don't know this, but any chance Vintage MN Hockey will offer this years jerseys on their site?

No idea.

Get your own board!

Gophers2023
(@gophers2023)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 367

$300 bucks for an authentic (to build in some profit) is not that expensive... Especially considering the built up demand of not offering any since that one small batch at the bookstore in like 2011. I'm sure the UND fans have been paying $200+ for years. I'd rather pay $300 for quality than $150 for trash.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

Random question that probably should have been asked in the Off Season thread. But what was going into Johnson’s decision making this past spring? Was there any chance that he was going to come back? I was gone all spring and just noticed that he signed much later than Faber, Knies, and LaCombe. 

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1252

@rau4skiumah I don't think it was ever on the table. As a four year player, he had an opportunity to become a free agent if he waited long enough but he and the Sabres eventually got it done.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

Posted by: @bluebandit24

@rau4skiumah I don't think it was ever on the table. As a four year player, he had an opportunity to become a free agent if he waited long enough but he and the Sabres eventually got it done.

Gotcha. That makes a lot more sense. Thank you 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

4th jersey?

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

4th jersey?

Home Alternate (Been some variation of White with diagonal GOPHERS across the chest the past few years)

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @steve-mn

4th jersey?

Home Alternate (Been some variation of White with diagonal GOPHERS across the chest the past few years)

There have been hints of a black/dark gray/anthracite/graphite colored alternate jersey this year.

Jupiter ♃ reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @steve-mn

4th jersey?

There have been hints of a black/dark gray/anthracite/graphite colored alternate jersey this year.

We'll see what it looks like.  As others have said, if the players like them, I'm happy, let them wear what makes them happy.  But for the past however many years, the alternate home jerseys have been white.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Looks like the same is happening for the women's team per Jess's twitter.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1714425473495629952?s=20

Get your own board!

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7719
Post on old board: 10120

frozen4champs, Rau4SkiUMah, Norm and 1 people reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Looks like the same is happening for the women's team per Jess's twitter.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1714425473495629952?s=20

throw on some pinneys.

dxmnkd316 reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I am actually surprised they can’t pull out white jerseys from last season and slap some name patches on.  This wasn’t a surprise event.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I love these home white jerseys.  The yellow stripes lining the maroon.  They remind me of the late 80s jerseys with Scotty Bell and Justin McHugh.  Some great Woog years.  The little extra gold is very nice.

Steve MN reacted
Gophers2023
(@gophers2023)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @bertogliat

I love these home white jerseys.  The yellow stripes lining the maroon.  They remind me of the late 80s jerseys with Scotty Bell and Justin McHugh.  Some great Woog years.  The little extra gold is very nice.

They are basically a direct copy of those. And yes they are very good. 

Steve MN reacted
drumhead09
(@drumhead09)
Rep Pts: 2

Can someone tell me what happened to the Gopher Hockey presence on USCHO forums? I used to spend lots of time over there in the mid-2000s, but haven't been there in a while. Just visited the forums recently and didn't see any Gopher-related chat (season thread, series threads, etc.) Just curious what happened.

ddillon22
(@ddillon22)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 203

Posted by: @drumhead09

Can someone tell me what happened to the Gopher Hockey presence on USCHO forums? I used to spend lots of time over there in the mid-2000s, but haven't been there in a while. Just visited the forums recently and didn't see any Gopher-related chat (season thread, series threads, etc.) Just curious what happened.

Probably because this forum/website is better so people come here.

Steve MN reacted

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1069
Post on old board: 29516

Because all teams have basically dissolved there. It's not just Minnesota. Only a handful of teams are active on the D1 side. Most have moved to their respective fanbase-owned forums or Reddit. It's not that it's better or worse, it's just that forums are not exactly having a renaissance right now. I suspect some are seeing bumps as they consolidate and fold in people arriving from other forums that died. 

USCHO used to be relatively unique in that it was the central location to talk college hockey before Reddit, twitter, etc came of age. It took a lot to spin up a forum in the sense that not everyone could host a big forum (whether it was equipment or know how). We've been spectacularly lucky to have POI and now GPL, both of which started in the golden era of forums and were well run and in the case of GPL, has been really good at spreading presence and awareness through networking. 

My blind speculation is that Tim has devoted far less time to maintaining the forums and spreading word among the youts like Jup has done. 

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level

Oh, and when USCHO moved to their current software, we saw posting kind of implode. Combination of people hating the new software, it not taking feedback from the user base, and an aging user base that decided to focus on family and not take the time to get used to the new format. 

Jup has moved platforms several times.  The times I've been here, he's always solicited feedback and even run betas behind the scenes at least once.  That never happened with USCHO. 

Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

I remember "back in the day" USCHO was pretty entertaining. Some of the game threads were pretty good with the back and forth of many fanbases chiming in and hating on each other. Good times...

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level

Posted by: @driftryder

I remember "back in the day" USCHO was pretty entertaining. Some of the game threads were pretty good with the back and forth of many fanbases chiming in and hating on each other. Good times...

I remember there were weekends when the UND-UMN series hit ten 1,000-post threads.  

Driftryder reacted
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

Posted by: @dxmnkd316

I remember there were weekends when the UND-UMN series hit ten 1,000-post threads.  

Yes!

Some pretty classic memes coming out of some of those game threads (and the NoDak threads) over the years as well.

dxmnkd316 reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8301
Post on old board: 35040

Because all teams have basically dissolved there. It's not just Minnesota. Only a handful of teams are active on the D1 side. Most have moved to their respective fanbase-owned forums or Reddit. It's not that it's better or worse, it's just that forums are not exactly having a renaissance right now. I suspect some are seeing bumps as they consolidate and fold in people arriving from other forums that died. 

USCHO used to be relatively unique in that it was the central location to talk college hockey before Reddit, twitter, etc came of age. It took a lot to spin up a forum in the sense that not everyone could host a big forum (whether it was equipment or know how). We've been spectacularly lucky to have POI and now GPL, both of which started in the golden era of forums and were well run and in the case of GPL, has been really good at spreading presence and awareness through networking. 

My blind speculation is that Tim has devoted far less time to maintaining the forums and spreading word among the youts like Jup has done. 

This. 

As for the MN-UND game threads, I think one time we got through 2 full threads and halfway through a 3rd.

I wonder if I fell out of the #2 spot for "number of posts" on that board yet. I quit quite a few years ago...

Edit: yup, still there at #2, 25K posts more than 3rd place. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Oh, and when USCHO moved to their current software, we saw posting kind of implode. Combination of people hating the new software, it not taking feedback from the user base, and an aging user base that decided to focus on family and not take the time to get used to the new format. 

Jup has moved platforms several times.  The times I've been here, he's always solicited feedback and even run betas behind the scenes at least once.  That never happened with USCHO. 

The last update was the final nail in the D1 side.  The board they had in 1999 had more functionality. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8301
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @handyman

The last update was the final nail in the D1 side.  The board they had in 1999 had more functionality. 

That last update was embarrassing. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

After 5 games (yes, I know it’s very very early) I’d have to say I am more optimistic about this teams title chances than before the season started.

Mainly due to 2 factors. Justen Close and Sam Rinzel. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7906

Sam Rinzel has wowed me. I expected some cringe worthy turnovers at the start of the year, and there still may be some on the way, but he’s been terrific. So poised for a teenager.

gopherfun83 reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1716839506446291370

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 370

Yes!

Some pretty classic memes coming out of some of those game threads (and the NoDak threads) over the years as well.

I miss the Beaver game threads.  Some of those got pretty hairy.

Driftryder and Slap Shot reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherGameNotes/status/1719079957253497194

Gophers2023
(@gophers2023)
Wooger Level

2018-19: 4-6-2 - No NCAA
2019-20: 5-8-3 - NCAA canceled, likely would have had to win conference tournament (two more games)
2020-21: 4-0 - Regional Final
2021-22: 9-7 - FF
2022-23: 11-5 - Championship game

That stat is skewed by two bad teams. If they come out of Oct/Nov 2+ games above .500, I think no one should panic about making the tournament.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

Will be interesting to see how they play against a Duluth team that plays a very similar style as WI. Also curious who the refs are gonna be.

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1227
Post on old board: 6069

During player introductions this year, they announce to load the Gopher Sports app and click on the light show. Supposed to be some sort of blinking lights thing that happens. Unfortunately I sit halfway down the bowl and cannot get cell service so the app doesn’t load. It seems like a lot of people have this same problem as they just turn on their phone light and nothing happens. This happened at football games too. Anyone else having this issue? Does the U realize their app requires cell service, which is spotty at best inside the arena with 10k people?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

The cell service has always been awful.  Why can’t they get the signal boosted near the arenas?

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Because the cell phone companies don't care about 10-15K people (spread across all the different providers, of course) having crappy service for 2-3 hours a couple times a week, and the U almost certainly doesn't want to pay to put boosters in the buildings.

What is disappointing is how little the U has done with the Wi-Fi... which is also so sketchy as to be unusable.  THAT would be relatively cheap in the larger scheme to deal with, but, apparently not.

trixR4kids reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

I try not to complain too much when it comes to amenities and things at the U, but the terrible cell service at Mariucci is definitely very annoying. It seems to me like it can't be that hard of a fix. It is like getting reception at Fort Knox in there.

rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

Posted by: @snowcool08

During player introductions this year, they announce to load the Gopher Sports app and click on the light show. Supposed to be some sort of blinking lights thing that happens. Unfortunately I sit halfway down the bowl and cannot get cell service so the app doesn’t load. It seems like a lot of people have this same problem as they just turn on their phone light and nothing happens. This happened at football games too. Anyone else having this issue? Does the U realize their app requires cell service, which is spotty at best inside the arena with 10k people?

Same for me. couldn't get it to load. 

IALTO

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7719
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @rodentsrulejr

Posted by: @snowcool08

Same for me. couldn't get it to load. 

I know that feature requests access to your camera and microphone so if those aren’t enabled it may not work. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Can’t wait until the Gophers figure out how to lead Moore and he slings himself through the neutral zone, like a soccer play.

Fling that puck out on the PK when there is no icing and let Moore fly

Page 5 / 15