80 Users
330 Likes
28.1 K Views
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Well the blues management is probably smart enough to know that plus minus is a useless stat and don’t really care about it. He’s less than a point per game which is true but part of that is just a ridiculously difficult schedule mainly in a conference where the refs allow the WWE rulebook half the time. But I do agree that he is a bit inconsistent and has some stuff to work on, D as someone mentioned but also he could also improve in terms of driving play/possession. Also needs to be a bit more careful as I don’t think that’s the first DQ he’s gotten this season.

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2261

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Yes he certainly will bring a great shot to the Blues when he makes the jump to the NHL and scoring goals is obviously important but if he is only able to be +6 on the Gophers what would make the Blues think he will be a + player for them as a 20 year old rookie?

I think he would grow a lot in becoming a more complete player if he stays one more year.

honestly I don’t think they’ll give a lick about his +/- which has been shown to be a worthless stat

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7580

I agree +/- can be misleading especially for teams that do a lot of line matching where one line always has to play against the other teams top line but for a team like the Gophers who don't do much of that it has meaning.

We all know Snuggy has some issues on defensive coverage and committing turnovers . If it is showing up in college it will show up even more in the pros. That is not say he can't keep getting better while in the pros but since he isn't a top 50 player in points either I don't see the rush nor do I think he is ready for the pros yet.

Of course my opinion means nothing and we will found out soon. 

If he turns pro I hope he lights it up as a rookie and proves he was ready.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

The stat is completely flawed just to start with, like the rules that define it ensure that. The empty net goals against is one aspect but there’s a reason anyone who knows anything about hockey analytics completely disregards it and favors expected goal differential or even shot differential due to the vastly increased sample size. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

Plus/minus aside, he isn't a great skater or stick-handler, has decent size but doesn't use it and can't be reliably counted upon defensively.  STL may care otherwise but imho he's very not ready for the NHL. 

ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 574

Posted by: @slap-shot

Plus/minus aside, he isn't a great skater or stick-handler, has decent size but doesn't use it and can't be reliably counted upon defensively.  STL may care otherwise but imho he's very not ready for the NHL. 

Not from what we have seen on the ice this year

ReplyQuote
ddillon22
(@ddillon22)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 196

If he hasn't learned how to improve on any of these faults in his first two years, then maybe St. Louis would want to get him into a different place where he perhaps would learn.

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Snuggy is 19 years old. A lot of 19 year olds struggle with becoming more complete hockey players. He will get better at it in due time.

ReplyQuote
USHANABI
(@ushanabi)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 187

Ohio State 1 Wisconsin 0 after the 1st period - Ohio State getting the better of the chances . . .

Ohio State 2 Wisconsin 0 after the 2nd period - Ohio State still getting the better of the chances . . . refs not calling anything . . . even upon revue . . .

Not knowing what to do, they do what they know . . .
Knowing what to do, they sometime don't do it . . .
The 26th year of the Gopher Men's Hockey Profile got to be too much for this ol' codger to handle . . . what with all of the possible activity on the transfer portal . . . . So, I'm closing it down at the 25th year . . .

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

Is wi v osu on TV?

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4473

2-0 Buckeyes middle of the 2nd period. 

game is on BTN plus. 

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

Todd Milewski Bracket

Providence Regional: (1) Boston College vs. (16) Bemidji State; (8) Quinnipiac vs. (9) Wisconsin

Springfield Regional: (2) Boston University vs. (15) RIT; (7) Maine vs. (10) Mighigan

Sioux Falls Regional: (3) North Dakota vs. (14) Providence; (6) Minnesota vs. (12) Omaha

Maryland Heights Regional: (4) Denver vs. (13) Western Michigan; (5) Michigan State vs. (11) Colorado College

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

Posted by: @bert

Todd Milewski Bracket

Providence Regional: (1) Boston College vs. (16) Bemidji State; (8) Quinnipiac vs. (9) Wisconsin

Springfield Regional: (2) Boston University vs. (15) RIT; (7) Maine vs. (10) Mighigan

Sioux Falls Regional: (3) North Dakota vs. (14) Providence; (6) Minnesota vs. (12) Omaha

Maryland Heights Regional: (4) Denver vs. (13) Western Michigan; (5) Michigan State vs. (11) Colorado College

I would be ecstatic with that bracket.  

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1222

Posted by: @boninthebear

Todd Milewski Bracket

Unless the NC$$ suspends their policy of avoiding intra-conference match-ups in first round games, that bracket won't happen.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @mnnavy

Posted by: @boninthebear

Todd Milewski Bracket

Unless the NC$$ suspends their policy of avoiding intra-conference match-ups in first round games, that bracket won't happen.

yeah they’re not putting 5 nchc teams in 2 regions. They can play each other however If there are 5 or more teams

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

If a conference has more than 4 teams make the NCAA tournament a first round conference match up is allowed.

Currently 

#3 North Dakota

#4 Denver

#11 Colorado College

#12 Omaha

#13 Western Michigan

With both North Dakota and Denver being 1 seeds and Western Michigan being a 4 seed in order to avoid a conference first round match up Western Michigan would have to play #2 BU or #1 BC but there is a good chance they get the Atlantic and CCHA conference auto bid winners.

Another interesting scenario that could play out is U Mass getting in as a #4 seed and as the host of the Springfield, Mass regional playing BU in the first round or BU moving to a west regional to avoid this conference 1st round match up. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12645
Post on old board: 9626

The other interesting thing is the Providence region. Providence ( the team ) is not the host, but would they still try to somehow keep them there? They technically don't have to, but would they still do it?

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

If Providence makes the NCAA tournament as a 3 seed I think there is a good chance they end up in the Providence, RI regional even though they are not the host but if they make the NCAA tournament as a 4 seed I think they likely end up in one of the west regionals in order to keep BC and BU as the 1 seeds in the two east regionals while avoiding the conference first round match up.

BU and BC being much bigger schools have a lot more fans.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Rinzel a finalist for B1G Freshman of the Year. Bob is a finalist for Coach of the Year. No other Gophers are finalists for any other awards.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1768005375020630352

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1768009426244337953

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Yeah surprised Closer is not in the mix.

3rd in conf for SV% at .923 (Bischel 2nd at .924), 2nd for GAA and 2nd for W.

McCllellan will win but Close should be a finalist. 

ReplyQuote

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

Yeah surprised Closer is not in the mix.

3rd in conf for SV% at .923 (Bischel 2nd at .924), 2nd for GAA and 2nd for W.

McCllellan will win but Close should be a finalist. 

Agreed.  Not even sure why Augustine is in the mix for that discussion.  By objective measures, McClellan is clearly #1, Close is #2, and Bischel is #3.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

For some reason, Close always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to goalie awards. Last year, his numbers were better than Bischel other than Sv%, and that was 931 to 927. I'm guessing last year he was hurt by playing for such a strong team with great defense. I just don't get it...

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Brad Schlossman went conference by conference for potential free agent signings after the season on the College Hockey Today Podcast. He noted Jaxon Nelson as a probable NHL signing after the season. Good to hear some are noticing.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherGameNotes/status/1768674411471610019

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Well I guess all that's left is to look forward to the postseason and hope the 2 weeks leads to the guys coming back hungrier. Things are getting more and more solidified at this point. 

As of now, we're the 8 seed in the PWR and draw either BC (probably favored due to bracket integrity) or BU. Likely first round opponents would be WMU, CC or Umass (unlikely to be Omaha as they will be in Omaha and would expect they will lock us out east for bracket integrity, though they certainly could switch that up and put us with UND as they've done odd things like this before like throwing 6 seeded STC with us last year). The short takeaway is, not much has changed as far as who we will play in the first round, but the 2nd game probably just got a whole lot harder though you were going to have to find a way to beat the Boston teams at some point. Maybe it all comes out moot if they decide they want to prioritize "attendance" and then literally everything still remains the same as we were stuck on the 2 line anyway. 

Only way off the 8 seed is a Quinny loss to St Lawrence next weekend. Maine is now locked to finish ahead of us. Michigan cannot catch us or Wisconsin and is going to be the 10 or 11. CC, Western, Omaha and UMass may have some really weird ways to catch us with winning out and who their opponents are, but those are very long shots. Largely the matchups aren't going to change a ton because there will be 2 big ten teams on the 2 line and 2 on the 3 line which means Maine/Quinny will draw Wisconsin/Michigan. Michigan State does not catch UND or Denver just by winning. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7742
Post on old board: 35040

If it's not this attitude, then this team is done. Just sayin' 😉

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

They need an attitude akin to asking for permission to fight if they want to win in the NCAA tournament?

ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7742
Post on old board: 35040

They need an attitude akin to asking for permission to fight if they want to win in the NCAA tournament?

They need an attitude that asks the other team (basically) "You reallllly want to take us on? Heh, Good luck." 

Read between the lines next time. 😉 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

It’s clear that this team’s recipe is a bit different from years past. If they can get on top of pucks, make smart plays with the puck and lock it down successfully, they have enough goaltending and goal scoring to win big games.

For me right now I think they’ll win round 1 but likely get beat by whatever 1 seed is in their region. They can absolutely make St. Paul this year, it’s just a matter of which team shows up.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Yeah sure that's on me. 🙄 😝 

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

I really thought they had turned a corner and were playing well during the second half of the season. A couple of off nights, game 1 against both Michigan State and Notre Dame, but overall playing solid hockey. But since the bye week they’ve been all over the place. Friday night against Michigan they looked like they could beat anyone in the country. The second night, while entertaining was not great from a “playing winning hockey perspective”. Last week and this week they just look…off. Not at all what you want at this time of year. So, like many of you, I have no idea what to expect from this team in the tournament. It’d be a shame not to at least make the FF after making it the last two years and it being in St Paul. 

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

They gave up two goals and one was a gimme rebound by their goaltender. Their offense was non-existent. Some of that is on them, but Michigan played a clean, up-tempo game that had Minnesota chasing all night.

Of all the Big Ten teams, Michigan is the team I would place my bet on. They took out Notre Dame, a team they had struggled against, and then came to Minnesota and outplayed the Gophers in front of a full house. Only weeks ago, there was speculation that Michigan might not make the tournament and they should move on from Naurato. Well, in their past two meetings, Michigan and its inexperienced coach have bested Minnesota, supposedly a team with a cagey leader behind the bench and, for once, an older lineup that should know when it's time to raise the wick.

ReplyQuote
maddie
(@maddie)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 71

This team has been pretty solid on the road & saved most of their indifferent performances for Mariucci. That fact alone gives a little hope for a good NCAA regional effort. 

At the start of the year, certainly thought MI & MN would be the class of the BIG.....even though neither won the league title, each are capable of winning it all. 

BC forwards get the ink but MI's group is, in my opinion, right there with them. They have the benefit of experience.....they know how to get to the final four. As we have seen, they show up at Mariucci every time.

NCAA is all that is left.....and MN is in with an okay seed. In December, it was not a given this team would make the field....but they did and played some impressive hockey along the way.

The tourney is, as always, wide open. Boston teams are talented and each will get easy first round opponents. Everyone else is going to have fight and claw their way into the final eight.

Denver & Whioux are deep and gritty & other NCHC entrants will be tough match-ups for anyone., Hockey East is top heavy but the other teams can play. BIG teams are very competitive with high-end talent. And the champs are back to defend.

Gophers have shown up this year when they've had to ...the weekends at Wisconsin & Michigan State, for example. Unlike last year, they'll have to beat not one, but two quality teams to get to xCel.

I've seen very few games this season so my opinion is based on what is written here .....and I pay attention to what Veg says on the podcast and types on twitter. 

College hockey post-season results are so random. Anything can and does happen. End of regular season struggles disappear, high-powered offenses collapse against a stout team defense & a goalie becomes a brick wall.

Anyway, we're in and we have a chance. Let's see what they can do with it.

Amonte_10, trixR4kids, Boats and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

Bring on the real deal 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Projecting the tourney field, it’s likely we get someone from the NCHC. Could be CC, Omaha, Western or even St. Cloud if they go on a run. I like the Gophs over all 4 of those teams.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Projecting the tourney field, it’s likely we get someone from the NCHC. Could be CC, Omaha, Western or even St. Cloud if they go on a run. I like the Gophs over all 4 of those teams.

it’s one of them or UMass. And I agree I feel we matchup just fine In the 2/3 game, same as we did before this clunker.

ReplyQuote
Ski U Mantra
(@ski-u-mantra)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 24

Fun fact: Last year, Q lost their conference tournament semifinal 2-1. And the previous year, Denver lost their conference tournament semifinal 2-0.

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @ski-u-mantra

Fun fact: Last year, Q lost their conference tournament semifinal 2-1. And the previous year, Denver lost their conference tournament semifinal 2-0.

I said to my friend at the game that they don't have to worry about the pressure of a winning streak going into the NCAA. 😆 

I don't mind the loss but I don't like the way they lost. They had a similar game against PSU the week before. That's two straight games in a packed house they let their opponents impose their will.

We'll see if they can regroup...hope they do because I have tickets for St. Paul.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Yeah I could accept losing to a horseshoe goalie or a high scoring loss would’ve been at least entertaining (like last year’s B1G game v Mich). This game was just trash, there was very little good to say about the team as a whole or any individuals. Reminded me of that lifeless loss to CC in the last year of the final five. 

ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 574

Posted by: @streakygopher

Posted by: @ski-u-mantra

I said to my friend at the game that they don't have to worry about the pressure of a winning streak going into the NCAA. 😆 

I don't mind the loss but I don't like the way they lost. They had a similar game against PSU the week before. That's two straight games in a packed house they let their opponents impose their will.

We'll see if they can regroup...hope they do because I have tickets for St. Paul.

They won't have to worry about a packed house in regionals, right? 😁

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Win out and they’ll have the same number of losses as last year. Seems like a good plan to me

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

We’ve seen plenty of teams limp into the playoffs and win the whole thing. Most notably 2018 Duluth and 2015 Providence. Not exactly like we’re limping or anything, literally a 1 game losing streak, but you know what I mean.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

4 wins in a row. The Gophers can do it. 

Rau4SkiUMah and Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

Semi-related to the season...

I just received notification from B1G this morning that they will no longer be offering Hockey as a season pass for $59.  My choices are getting a school pass for $79, or the total package for $119.

In the end, I suppose that increase isn't going to kill me, but I have to say all of this streaming service crap has gotten VASTLY more expensive than the days of just cable TV.  Plus, navigating multiple streamers is just a PITA.  Not the same as the old channel surfing.

Anyhow, I'll get off my own lawn now....

ReplyQuote
rowshkex
(@rowshkex)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 319
Post on old board: 5728

If it makes you feel any better, if none of the streaming stuff had happened, we would all be complaining that cable prices were through the roof too...  You're just comparing the prices for streaming NOW to the cable packages from 5-10 years ago--not really comparable.

MATT reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1770123298497565124

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Bob didn’t make excuses this week. He was pretty honest about it. Killed on draws, icing the puck, etc. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/golden-gopher-podcast/id1466088193?i=1000649642533

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

If a kick in the ass in the conference tournament is what this team needs make it to St. Paul so be it. Sure didn’t hurt the last two teams.

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1770148284025168284

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 15