746 Reactions
72 K Views
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8305
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

If Hastings is offered a Big 10 job he’s taking it. 

A god in Mankato or a "whatever" in WI. Money and stature will be the decision makers.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7929

The recent, let’s say, sub par play of Wisconsin is making people forget how big the Badger head coaching job is. Probably a top 5 desired program in the nation. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5066
Post on old board: 10695

As I recall, Michigan State was making some noises about hiring him, and then he got a good extension at 'Kato?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Rumblings. Not a job offer. Big difference. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Rumblings. Not a job offer. Big difference. 

Correct. Rumors, and they were squashed HARD with the extension. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I’m sure Wisconsin can fork up more money than Mankato if it comes down to that. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

This had tMel written all over it. And no offense to Mike but I hope it works out as well.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Hastings style of recruiting wouldn’t fit well in the BIG. The BIG is still an academic conference first. If Hastings wanted to continue with his current way of recruitment, his older recruits would be few and far between BIG academically eligible. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @the-rube

A god in Mankato or a "whatever" in WI. Money and stature will be the decision makers.

Like Mel right? ? ? 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

Hastings style of recruiting wouldn’t fit well in the BIG. The BIG is still an academic conference first. If Hastings wanted to continue with his current way of recruitment, his older recruits would be few and far between BIG academically eligible. 

He wouldn't need to do that at Wisconsin...

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

Posted by: @handyman

Would he be able to adjust?  

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 709
Post on old board: 14946

Posted by: @idontknow

A coach like Hastings does what he has to do to win. He knows he's not going to be able to compete for the top end younger talents at Mankato... so he tries to level the playing field as best as he can. Despite how underachieving UW has been for most of the last 15 years, they have a lot more to market to top young kids than Mankato does. He would have more doors open to him as the UW coach.

I don't doubt he would adjust his recruiting. The main question I would have is if he would adjust his approach in style of play. The pro game is more and more about speed, skill, and creativity these days... and that's what kids want to develop.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

I mean he was an assistant here so I would assume he has a bit of experience with it...

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11350
Post on old board: 21741

Obviously everything is in place for uw to succeed but the tenor of the comments I'm reading from uw fans is they feel the athletic department has abandoned the hockey program.  Whether or not it's fan angst or accurate I don't know but one has to wonder if they've dug themselves too deep a hole to attract a coach like Hastings. 

Regardless uw definitely needs a home run soon and I reluctantly hope they do something right.  ? 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13288
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1627719361816297481

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

We aren’t very good this year as the #1 poll team. But still nice to see. 

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2524
Post on old board: 6782

Sorry for being late to the conversation but if Hastings didn't take Boston money last offseason...he isn't taking B1G money this offseason.  I think he rides off into the sunset here in Mankato sometime in the next 4-8 years.  I think if he gets a chance at the World Juniors again he will take that but I don't think he wants the grind or the stress of the B1G or Boston.   Just my 2 cents from what I've heard second hand here in Mankato.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1892

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Sorry for being late to the conversation but if Hastings didn't take Boston money last offseason...he isn't taking B1G money this offseason.  I think he rides off into the sunset here in Mankato sometime in the next 4-8 years.  I think if he gets a chance at the World Juniors again he will take that but I don't think he wants the grind or the stress of the B1G or Boston.   Just my 2 cents from what I've heard second hand here in Mankato.

You cannot argue with the job security he has built up in Mankato. If he is contemplating retirement in 5-10 years I can understand why he would want to stay, especially if he likes living in the area.  

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Obviously everything is in place for uw to succeed but the tenor of the comments I'm reading from uw fans is they feel the athletic department has abandoned the hockey program.  Whether or not it's fan angst or accurate I don't know but one has to wonder if they've dug themselves too deep a hole to attract a coach like Hastings. 

Regardless uw definitely needs a home run soon and I reluctantly hope they do something right.  ? 

It is better for our program if our chief rival's program is also in a good state... as long as we still win 4/4 vs them every year. ? 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Hastings wasn’t offered any Boston or B1G money last offseason. 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

Just like Motzko and Cloud. If Hastings is offered the Wisconsin job, he's gone before they finish asking the question. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @j22

Just like Motzko and Cloud. If Hastings is offered the Wisconsin job, he's gone before they finish asking the question. 

I was also told Mel wouldn't leave Michigan Tech for Michigan. ? 

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2524
Post on old board: 6782

Hastings wasn’t offered any Boston or B1G money last offseason. 

BU was talking with him but Hastings shot it down before it got to a official offer.  Michigan State was never a consideration for him.  Straight from the horses mouth to a friend of mine who is friends with Hastings.  Same friend has said that Hastings really isn't looking to leave Mankato for another challenge or rebuild but like always, never say never.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

A look at the new arena for Augie Hockey

https://twitter.com/GoAugie/status/1628122383960707080

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Tech in town practicing before they head to Kato.

https://twitter.com/mtuhky/status/1628477891376828416

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

In related news the Gopher women challenged Tech to a game, crushed them and then told them to get off their ice. ? 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1628511588142415874

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Hmmm this tweet appears to have been deleted. ?  What was it?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

It was USCHO's 1st stab at the bracketology.  He had the Gophers in Fargo with Ohio St and RIT and 1 other team I don't recall. ( I think it may have been Tech )

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @j22

Don't know how old Hastings is, but at this point in his career it's quite possible that his personal satisfaction is>>>>>than a career move.

If he wants to make a move, WI would be a plum. They get a lot of kids from MN who don't get the offer they hope for from the Gophers. I know a couple parents of players who jumped on WI when the offer didn't come fast enough. It would not take long to reload that program with the right coach.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

It was USCHO's 1st stab at the bracketology.  He had the Gophers in Fargo with Ohio St and RIT and 1 other team I don't recall. ( I think it may have been Tech )

The team to watch right now for bracketology is Penn State cuz if they drop to 8 or 9 we automatically get sent to Allentown. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

The team to watch right now for bracketology is Penn State cuz if they drop to 8 or 9 we automatically get sent to Allentown. 

I don't think they send the Gophers to Allentown if PSU drops to 8 or 9.  They'd try to keep us in Fargo unless it really screws with the rest of the bracket.  Yes, at #1, we'd naturally have 8/9 in our bracket, but the #1 overall stays closest to home.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4809

Why would we be sent to Allentown?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Why would we be sent to Allentown?

1 vs 16 always gets paired up with 8 vs 9. If Penn State is 8 or 9 that regional has to be in Allentown. 

Edit: or maybe not? According to SteveMN

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 344

The College Hockey community loves trying to predict the bracket, I definitely read the prediction articles every year.  Not sure why we get so caught up in hypotheticals when we still have 4+ games yet to be played for all the relevant teams.   

Steve MN reacted

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Idk it’s kinda fun

upnorthkid reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

The College Hockey community loves trying to predict the bracket, I definitely read the prediction articles every year.  Not sure why we get so caught up in hypotheticals when we still have 4+ games yet to be played for all the relevant teams.   

Agreed.  There's way too much hockey left to be played to worry about that kind of hypothetical. 

As a general thing, they DO try to protect the #1 overall seed as much as they realistically can, so I wouldn't expect that they would send the Gophers to Allentown if they hold on to the #1.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

It is back up on twitter to add to the discussion. ? 

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1628545625192075271

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

So are we saying that the Gophers being the #1 seed and getting a close regional trumps PSU being the 8 or 9 and taking the Gophers to Allentown?

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

I know we are somewhat getting the cart ahead of the horse here. Though this pairing the #1 seed with the #8/9 seeds can be BS.  What "if" the Gophers or any overall #1 seed was hosting a regional.  And the #8 or #9 seed was hosting a regional as well. This is practically no different with the Gophers looking at being the overall #1 seed, Fargo the nearest regional, PSU maybe being a #8/9 seed and hosting a regional in Allentown. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I believe historically they have always made sure the #1 overall gets the 16 and gets to play as close as possible to home

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Alright. How close are we to mathematically locking up the 1 seed. 1 win against Ohio State? A sweep would definitely do it. 

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Don't think the "You are the Committee" thing is out yet, but you probability matrix is out. 

Pairwise Probability Matrix : College Hockey News

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

Not sure how I feel about going to Fargo.. On one hand its close enough for Gopher fans to actually travel there to watch.. on the other its in the gawd awful state to the West.. thankfully barring a tournament victory for the Hawks they are pretty much out of it.. but I'm sure they would love to show up and cheer against the Maroon and Gold.

upnorthkid reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Good let their mouth-breathing fans come out to cheer against.  Unless there's a methodology to selling tickets that freezes out Gophers fans, that is the one regional that should have the most number of Gophers fans possible.  imho it's the far more preferable regional than any of the other three.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

So are we saying that the Gophers being the #1 seed and getting a close regional trumps PSU being the 8 or 9 and taking the Gophers to Allentown?

If Penn State was #8, I think they would swap the #8 and the #7 to make sure the Gophers stay close to home.  If Penn St was #9 then they would swap with #10. as host Penn State gets to play in Allentown, but I think they would also want to keep the Gophers in Fargo as the #1.

Having three Eastern teams host regionals is crappy in a year most tourney teams are from the West.

Steve MN reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7722
Post on old board: 10120

If you look closely you’ll see Rube hiding in the corner.  ?

Slap Shot reacted
Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 571

Posted by: @cowgirl

If you look closely you’ll see Rube hiding in the corner.  ?

Hiding behind MeanEGirl.

Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @viking

Hiding behind MeanEGirl.

Which is really quite a feat for him.

The Rube reacted

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

Posted by: @viking

Hiding behind MeanEGirl.

Which is really quite a feat for him.

I still remember the game at MTU when MeanE recruited Viking and me to come down to the student section to stand in front of a couple fans who remained seated, since the "rule" is "YOU DON'T SIT DOWN IN THAT SECTION." We obliged. 

Page 23 / 44