76 Reactions
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13211
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Seems like an early departure to me 😉 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4803

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2517

Posted by: @j22

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

https://twitter.com/byscottpowers/status/1809270790866575625?s=42&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

also a bunch of rumors of them signing him and putting him in the AHL, which would be a major slap to MSU and their development of players

unless the kid can't handle the school work,  that's a terrible idea. 

well he signed. Let’s see where he ends up at. Won’t be surprised if it’s AHL as their gm has said a bunch of times he wanted him to develop in house. Would envision this means it’s 3 years of college for sure for Rinzel

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 535

https://twitter.com/byscottpowers/status/1809270790866575625?s=42&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

also a bunch of rumors of them signing him and putting him in the AHL, which would be a major slap to MSU and their development of players

well he signed. Let’s see where he ends up at. Won’t be surprised if it’s AHL as their gm has said a bunch of times he wanted him to develop in house. Would envision this means it’s 3 years of college for sure for Rinzel

Davidson’s quote was interesting, “gives the opportunity to develop him in house”

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7869

I would imagine the Blackhawks make a big push for Rinzel after this upcoming season. Gotta remember he was drafted after his junior year of high school so that would be three years post draft (1 in juniors, 2 in college). First round picks rarely stay unsigned after 3 seasons. Teams don’t wanna risk their high draft pick becoming a free agent. Ryan Johnson was a rarity. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I look at his path to the NHL a bit different. IIRC, he wanted to play in the CHL, but they didn't allow Russian or Belarusian players in their draft, so he opted for the USHL. He then chose college for a year.  I think as a high end foreign player he wanted to get to the NHL asap, so I'm not shocked he opted to sign and get money in his pocket now. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1309
Post on old board: 5547

So where will Tennessee State be playing conference games? I bet it’s the Nacho conference 

Aloha!

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

I would imagine the Blackhawks make a big push for Rinzel after this upcoming season. Gotta remember he was drafted after his junior year of high school so that would be three years post draft (1 in juniors, 2 in college). First round picks rarely stay unsigned after 3 seasons. Teams don’t wanna risk their high draft pick becoming a free agent. Ryan Johnson was a rarity. 

they have his rights until 30 days after he decides he's "done" with college. so if he comes back, they still have his rights until he says he's done. the bigger push will come after jr year as they don't want him to go through his senior year then just wait and become a free agent. 

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

they have his rights until 30 days after he decides he's "done" with college. so if he comes back, they still have his rights until he says he's done. the bigger push will come after jr year as they don't want him to go through his senior year then just wait and become a free agent. 

That "push" will come after this season. If he plays his junior season, he can go wherever he wants after that.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

That "push" will come after this season. If he plays his junior season, he can go wherever he wants after that.

from my understanding, this has changed in NCAA hockey in that they retain their rights until after he is done (expired all eligibility), not 4 years from draft date as an incentive to finishing college for guys. 

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

from my understanding, this has changed in NCAA hockey in that they retain their rights until after he is done (expired all eligibility), not 4 years from draft date as an incentive to finishing college for guys. 

Do you have a source for that?  This is what I am going off of-

https://www.capfriendly.com/reserve-list-faq#college-drafted

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

it's the same. The key is the 4th year of eligibility/year he was in college. He didn't play initially after he was drafted so his college eligibility clock didn't start until then (this is my understanding) and the exclusive rights do not trigger until after this (see under the exclusive rights retained that it is "the later of". I guess in technicality, I do not know when he enrolled, so that could be different. Given that, they'll have his rights through 2026 and would be the only team able to "burn a year" on his contract (because he will be a student through spring semester). 

They may press it, but i'd still guess he signs right after the season ends after his junior year to burn a year off his ELC while getting higher quality minutes than he would after jumping after this season. 

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

it's the same. The key is the 4th year of eligibility/year he was in college. He didn't play initially after he was drafted so his college eligibility clock didn't start until then (this is my understanding) and the exclusive rights do not trigger until after this (see under the exclusive rights retained that it is "the later of". I guess in technicality, I do not know when he enrolled, so that could be different. Given that, they'll have his rights through 2026 and would be the only team able to "burn a year" on his contract (because he will be a student through spring semester). 

They may press it, but i'd still guess he signs right after the season ends after his junior year to burn a year off his ELC while getting higher quality minutes than he would after jumping after this season. 

It's the 2nd scenario in the link above. If a player leaves before he's in his 4th year of college the team retains his rights for 4 years.

I don't believe that there's any scenario where a team holds a North American players draft rights for more than 4 years.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

It's the 2nd scenario in the link above. If a player leaves before he's in his 4th year of college the team retains his rights for 4 years.

I don't believe that there's any scenario where a team holds a North American players draft rights for more than 4 years.

i believe they hold his rights until at least June(though my interpretation is August, but I may be misunderstanding) in that scenario though. Which again then either way they’re the only ones who can offer the year to burn. Add on top their blue line is pretty loaded at the nhl level in terms of contracts (not necessarily skill) and I’m still expecting he’s here until after his jr year with an immediate signing after he finishes. That is a huge bargaining chip to be able to burn the year

that said, he has a big growth year and a great season, then yeah they may press it further and take him now if he looks more ready but everything they’ve said is he’s a long term project to their organization 

ReplyQuote

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

i believe they hold his rights until at least June(though my interpretation is August, but I may be misunderstanding) in that scenario though. Which again then either way they’re the only ones who can offer the year to burn. Add on top their blue line is pretty loaded at the nhl level in terms of contracts (not necessarily skill) and I’m still expecting he’s here until after his jr year with an immediate signing after he finishes. That is a huge bargaining chip to be able to burn the year

that said, he has a big growth year and a great season, then yeah they may press it further and take him now if he looks more ready but everything they’ve said is he’s a long term project to their organization 

I'm pretty sure that the "buying a year" is irrelevant in Rinzel's case. He can sign a 3 year ELC with Chicago and burn a year, or he can wait a month and sign a 2 year ELC with whatever team he chooses. Ultimately it comes down to what Rinzel wants to do, but if Chicago lets him get to his junior year, they lose all of their leverage.

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1309
Post on old board: 5547

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5552
Post on old board: 15786

I'm pretty sure that the "buying a year" is irrelevant in Rinzel's case. He can sign a 3 year ELC with Chicago and burn a year, or he can wait a month and sign a 2 year ELC with whatever team he chooses. Ultimately it comes down to what Rinzel wants to do, but if Chicago lets him get to his junior year, they lose all of their leverage.

I think we should keep quoting the same thing over and over and over making this even more difficult to read.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

max27t reacted
ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 370

Posted by: @jupiter

I think we should keep quoting the same thing over and over and over making this even more difficult to read.

I'm in!  I'll do my part.....(or was that sarcasm???)

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 535

McGroarty rumor mill.  He didn’t go to Jets camp.  Hope he gets traded and leaves before the season.  Contrast this with the article that just came out with Snuggy and the Blues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/1e02mjk/winnipeg_sports_talk_a_trade_for_rutger_mcgroarty/

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4458
Post on old board: 12555

Somebody thinks he's special... 

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

@bertogliat he is special

ReplyQuote

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1364

Posted by: @boninthebear

McGroarty rumor mill.  He didn’t go to Jets camp.  Hope he gets traded and leaves before the season.  Contrast this with the article that just came out with Snuggy and the Blues.

I think Snuggy surprised the Blues by staying the extra year and all the quotes say they expect him to be ready at the end of the upcoming season to sign and be ready to contribute. McGroarty wants to sign now and thinks he is ready to play in the NHL. A big difference there and Rutger could be a bit of distraction at Michigan this season.

I do really like Rutger's ability as a college player though.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

@eric-vegoe 

Do you like him as a pro prospect?

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7800
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @jankwi01

@bertogliat he is special

There he is.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/BruinsBenders/status/1811868746547712024

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

It allows Augie in 1 year earlier than expected. 

https://twitter.com/CCHAHockey/status/1813227137211494844

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Thought people on here would get a chuckle from this

https://twitter.com/hvhorizonspsu/status/1813285363244319132?s=46&t=AvtsG2WfNuGRyXzbYJqB7g

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5013
Post on old board: 10695

Two good teams = toughest non-con ever?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

Alaska

Quinnipiac

Army

Canisius

Other than QU, who is the other "good team?"

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @steve-mn

Alaska

Quinnipiac

Army

Canisius

Other than QU, who is the other "good team?"

From the tweet itself, Maine

DOH!   Just realized the tweet was from QU, not PSU

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7800
Post on old board: 18942

I'm so confused.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7690
Post on old board: 10120

So is this the kitties admitting they have tended toward the easiest of OOC teams if they consider this to be one of their toughest schedules? 😬😂

ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

If you look at the embedded message, QU has a pretty tough non-con schedule (Maine, UNH, NE, PSU?).  But PSUs schedule is a joke, and somewhat comparable to the Gopher non-con the last few years.  QU is the only tough team they will face...

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @joegopher

If you look at the embedded message, QU has a pretty tough non-con schedule (Maine, UNH, NE, PSU?).  But PSUs schedule is a joke, and somewhat comparable to the Gopher non-con the last few years.  QU is the only tough team they will face...

QU needs to play that OOC schedule because the ECAC is ass

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2494
Post on old board: 6782

Ummm...paging @eric-vegoe is this BS or real? 

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-college-sports-roster-limits-revealed-as-house-settlement-expands-scholarship-numbers-210542040.html

So hockey can have full scholarships for 26 players starting in 25'-26'?

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 725

@g-manpuck 

It is real.

But remember a few things:

1.) Scholarship limits for all sports are going up, and if you fully fund scholarships in men's basketball, you will need to fully fund women's scholarships to match.  So schools may need to make determinations as to which sports they will fully fund and which ones they won't.

2.) Conferences will likely also have limits and floors as to how many scholarships they will allow conference mates to fully fund.  So you could potentially foresee the CCHA fund only 20 scholarships, for example, to keep things in balance, while the B1G will go the whole way.  These discussions may again break apart conferences-- can SCSU fully afford to keep up with whatever limits the NCHC keeps?  If not, what happens?

3.) Title IX is going to play a role here too-- as not all schools can afford to add 16 new scholarships (8 for the men and 8 equivalent for the women).  At a tuition of $15k per year you are talking about additional expenses of $200,000 per year minimum. Will any of these changes increase a school's revenue by $200k annually?

I have not yet read the whole settlement-- that will be some weekend reading for me-- but add these plus direct compensation of athletes (which is also in the hopper) and suddenly it will really change how D1 hockey looks.  Maybe D2 hockey rises from the ashes?

Eric Vegoe and g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

@g-manpuck 

It is real.

But remember a few things:

1.) Scholarship limits for all sports are going up, and if you fully fund scholarships in men's basketball, you will need to fully fund women's scholarships to match.  So schools may need to make determinations as to which sports they will fully fund and which ones they won't.

2.) Conferences will likely also have limits and floors as to how many scholarships they will allow conference mates to fully fund.  So you could potentially foresee the CCHA fund only 20 scholarships, for example, to keep things in balance, while the B1G will go the whole way.  These discussions may again break apart conferences-- can SCSU fully afford to keep up with whatever limits the NCHC keeps?  If not, what happens?

3.) Title IX is going to play a role here too-- as not all schools can afford to add 16 new scholarships (8 for the men and 8 equivalent for the women).  At a tuition of $15k per year you are talking about additional expenses of $200,000 per year minimum. Will any of these changes increase a school's revenue by $200k annually?

I have not yet read the whole settlement-- that will be some weekend reading for me-- but add these plus direct compensation of athletes (which is also in the hopper) and suddenly it will really change how D1 hockey looks.  Maybe D2 hockey rises from the ashes?

Big note that will likely have application to college hockey:

Those that are not defendants in the settlement case — schools and conferences in the Group of Five, FCS and non-football playing Division I programs — are bound by the roster limits, reporting system and enforcement mechanism only if they choose to share revenue with athletes. They can opt out of the new model if they decline to share revenue.

While the B1G and P5 schools will share revenue, I don't know that everyone else will-- or whether their conferences will allow them to.

What that means is that MN may have 26 scholarships to give AND pay players an additional stipend, while NCHC schools may only have 18 and no additional money.  And they cannot give additional money except by an outside group providing conventional NIL.

g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

I just reviewed (briefly) the 130+ pages of the whole settlement (it is a component of my job).  For those who wish to entertain themselves, they can do so here: NCAA House Proposed Settlement

A few initial takeaways as its application toward college hockey:

1.) Much of the big things have been reported elsewhere since the main thrust of this is men's football and basketball, and to a lesser extent (much lesser extent), women's basketball:  Revenue sharing up to $23M per school per year, increased scholarship limits, continuation of NIL rights. 

2.) Conferences cannot collude to restrict benefits among athletes, but a conference may make their own rules as to restricting benefits.  So the B1G may enact a rule limiting football scholarships among its members to 100-- and that is ok.  But the B1G could not work with the SEC to enact the same rule among both conferences.

3.) As I noted earlier, schools can opt out of the settlement-- but if so, they cannot have the additional scholarship limits and are subject to existing NCAA rules.  Perhaps more importantly, they are exposed to future lawsuits as to athlete compensation.

4.) Schools that are not D1 are not defendants and not really subject to the exposure of this lawsuit.

In listening to Ross Dellenger (who has done an excellent job of reporting this issue at Yahoo! Sports), he seems to believe that the Group of Five schools will likely all opt in to the settlement.  They want to maintain the D-1 status and this goes with the territory, and many are strong D-1 basketball schools or see football as already unreachable.  But he was quite uncertain about FCS Schools or schools that have only one D-1 sport. 

For FCS Schools, you don't get a break on the obligation to share revenue with players.  Still, one of the exemptions the NCAA schools have is that your scholarships count toward your sharing obligation.  I have not run numbers yet as to what that would mean for, say, South Dakota State and its impact on them, and whether that changes when applied to UND or Denver.  I would believe that, to keep up with the big dogs the price just skyrocketed for that group of schools, and whether there is sufficient income or potential for that income is uncertain.  Does it make sense for SDSU/NDSU to keep playing what is now D-1 make economic justification if the bouncyball tourney is not as profitable or won't give the same exposure it did?

For schools who have only one D-1 sport (SCSU/UMD/Mankato/Bemidji, for example), I believe continuing at the D-1 level just got unaffordable.  If you have one sport bearing the entire brunt of the settlement obligations-- and that sport isn't football-- I don't know if the economics will work.  You would instead have to try to compete in hockey with 8 fewer scholarships AND being unable to compensate players directly. You are playing a different game  than everyone else at that level.

Depending on how many schools opt in/opt out, I could see a new D-1AA developing again (or maybe FCS becomes its own level) that would be its own clear cut division.  Schools will be either D-1 top level in all things or in none.  That isn't to say Bowling Green (for example, as a MAC G-5 school) would offer all 26 hockey scholarships and compete directly with the B1G, but they would at least stay same Division.  At the same time, FCS schools might create their own division which, along with single-sport current D-1 schools, be viable in its own way-- and maintain its current scholarship rules for profitability as well.

Lots of stuff to come on this!

Eric Vegoe reacted
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

I'm going to give my bosses the broad strokes on this settlement so that they can ask the MSU coaches at their next donor gathering to see what the coaching staff and athletic department sees as the future here in Mankato.  Really though I don't see any Maverick fan happy if MSU was not a D1 sport and were forced into a different level such as D-1AA or the reemergence of D2 because of the financials of this settlement shake out. 

The shake out of this may have bigger and longer affects on D1 hockey than the B1G realignment did...stay tuned for sure.

ReplyQuote
Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 709
Post on old board: 14946

I don't think some fans around the landscape truly understand how it is going to be harder and harder for them to compete. Especially compete for the best players.

The "charm" of college hockey will be lost to some degree as some programs that have had good success over time will find themselves behind the eight ball. Not only in terms of trying to attract the best players but also in terms of having the same quality of depth as other places.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I just reviewed (briefly) the 130+ pages of the whole settlement (it is a component of my job).  For those who wish to entertain themselves, they can do so here: NCAA House Proposed Settlement

A few initial takeaways as its application toward college hockey:

1.) Much of the big things have been reported elsewhere since the main thrust of this is men's football and basketball, and to a lesser extent (much lesser extent), women's basketball:  Revenue sharing up to $23M per school per year, increased scholarship limits, continuation of NIL rights. 

2.) Conferences cannot collude to restrict benefits among athletes, but a conference may make their own rules as to restricting benefits.  So the B1G may enact a rule limiting football scholarships among its members to 100-- and that is ok.  But the B1G could not work with the SEC to enact the same rule among both conferences.

3.) As I noted earlier, schools can opt out of the settlement-- but if so, they cannot have the additional scholarship limits and are subject to existing NCAA rules.  Perhaps more importantly, they are exposed to future lawsuits as to athlete compensation.

4.) Schools that are not D1 are not defendants and not really subject to the exposure of this lawsuit.

In listening to Ross Dellenger (who has done an excellent job of reporting this issue at Yahoo! Sports), he seems to believe that the Group of Five schools will likely all opt in to the settlement.  They want to maintain the D-1 status and this goes with the territory, and many are strong D-1 basketball schools or see football as already unreachable.  But he was quite uncertain about FCS Schools or schools that have only one D-1 sport. 

For FCS Schools, you don't get a break on the obligation to share revenue with players.  Still, one of the exemptions the NCAA schools have is that your scholarships count toward your sharing obligation.  I have not run numbers yet as to what that would mean for, say, South Dakota State and its impact on them, and whether that changes when applied to UND or Denver.  I would believe that, to keep up with the big dogs the price just skyrocketed for that group of schools, and whether there is sufficient income or potential for that income is uncertain.  Does it make sense for SDSU/NDSU to keep playing what is now D-1 make economic justification if the bouncyball tourney is not as profitable or won't give the same exposure it did?

For schools who have only one D-1 sport (SCSU/UMD/Mankato/Bemidji, for example), I believe continuing at the D-1 level just got unaffordable.  If you have one sport bearing the entire brunt of the settlement obligations-- and that sport isn't football-- I don't know if the economics will work.  You would instead have to try to compete in hockey with 8 fewer scholarships AND being unable to compensate players directly. You are playing a different game  than everyone else at that level.

Depending on how many schools opt in/opt out, I could see a new D-1AA developing again (or maybe FCS becomes its own level) that would be its own clear cut division.  Schools will be either D-1 top level in all things or in none.  That isn't to say Bowling Green (for example, as a MAC G-5 school) would offer all 26 hockey scholarships and compete directly with the B1G, but they would at least stay same Division.  At the same time, FCS schools might create their own division which, along with single-sport current D-1 schools, be viable in its own way-- and maintain its current scholarship rules for profitability as well.

Lots of stuff to come on this!

The bolded part is the part that really strikes me when it’s said so bluntly. I always hear that NIL and the overall changing landscape of college athletics won’t be kind to the “have nots” but this is really frightening stuff for those of us who cherish Minnesota college hockey.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Okay...paging @skiumahlaw 

Just had a quick talk with my boss about this and he is under the assumption that this settlement put a cap on roster size.  So hockey would be capped at 26 roster spots, he referenced the tweet thread from Jimmy Connelly on this that said as much.  My view based from the article I linked above is that rostered scholarships would increase not capping the actual roster size like Connelly made a point of.  Which is it?

Overall I believe this thing is going to have some legs left to it in the justice system.  

ReplyQuote

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

@g-manpuck from what I saw in the settlement document, scholarships would be capped at the roster size maximums. As it stands now, it means hockey could give out eight more scholarships than they're currently giving. 

But , if you give eight more men's scholarships, you have to find a way to give eight more women scholarships. 

Remember that you're not required to use up all 26 scholarships either. But you know some schools will and you will be behind if you don't.

The thing is that if you go beyond the current increase in scholarships, you are opting into the revenue sharing system.  That means you need to pay your student athletes beyond the value of their scholarship And beyond the current cost of living stipend value.

I didn't mention this above, but there is a provision in the documents to prevent misuse of nil dollars with a quasi clearinghouse for nil deals.  So opting in also takes nil off the table for you as an end around to try and avoid an otherwise salary cap. 

So your costs of competitiveness are going to go way up without a corresponding increase in revenue. It's an arms race that only about 15 schools in the country could do at the college hockey level.

g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

This REALLY sucks.  

ReplyQuote
Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 709
Post on old board: 14946

The thing is that if you go beyond the current increase in scholarships, you are opting into the revenue sharing system.  That means you need to pay your student athletes beyond the value of their scholarship And beyond the current cost of living stipend value.

I didn't mention this above, but there is a provision in the documents to prevent misuse of nil dollars with a quasi clearinghouse for nil deals.  So opting in also takes nil off the table for you as an end around to try and avoid an otherwise salary cap.

Which is what will really hurt some traditional powers who aren't affiliated with big money conferences. Pay out a lot more money if you want to give out as many scholarships as the big money schools, pay out more for stipends, and you don't have the ability to circumvent the rules via phony NIL deals to make up the difference (and NIL deals aren't going to be very significant as it is when you reside in a very small media market).

And if you decide not to take advantage of the max scholarships... you are clearly at a competitive disadvantage. Gonna be hard times at some well known programs with all of this.

So your costs of competitiveness are going to go way up without a corresponding increase in revenue. It's an arms race that only about 15 schools in the country could do at the college hockey level.

On one hand, I don't like it at all because it continues the degradation of the college sports I grew up with. It is becoming more and more like the minor leagues for pro sports.

At the same time, the college athletics system has been making a mountain of money off of student athletes for a long time so I can't really rip on providing athletes more for what they do. Especially in football with the major injury risks, etc.

SkiUMahLaw reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @hammy

Which is what will really hurt some traditional powers who aren't affiliated with big money conferences. Pay out a lot more money if you want to give out as many scholarships as the big money schools, pay out more for stipends, and you don't have the ability to circumvent the rules via phony NIL deals to make up the difference (and NIL deals aren't going to be very significant as it is when you reside in a very small media market).

And if you decide not to take advantage of the max scholarships... you are clearly at a competitive disadvantage. Gonna be hard times at some well known programs with all of this.

On one hand, I don't like it at all because it continues the degradation of the college sports I grew up with. It is becoming more and more like the minor leagues for pro sports.

At the same time, the college athletics system has been making a mountain of money off of student athletes for a long time so I can't really rip on providing athletes more for what they do. Especially in football with the major injury risks, etc.

I think the bottom part is true for football, but may be the death knell of hockey at many places given it doesn’t make money and is generally associated with high costs. Which is really unfortunate as it appears college hockey was really at a point where growth was coming. 

the only stopping point in hockey is the relatively small pool of “haves” relative to football and basketball and if those haves ADs are going to view hockey as worthwhile investments when return is so poor comparatively (throwing in an extra 250k in scholarships is not going to make any more money as their revenues are relatively fixed in the realm of hockey as places like UND already sell out every game), especially in conferences that are split like the NCHC, HE with haves (UND, DU, BC, BU) and have nots (Miami Ohio, CC, Merrimack, UML) where that is going to be a huge ask on their athletic departments. The Big Ten has it relatively easy in terms of coming up with the money, but an AD has to make the case that an extra 8 scholarships makes any difference to them competitively versus what they can already do with NIL. If it winds up only being one or two conferences, that’s really not going to be that drastically different for the likes of Mankato who aren’t getting blue chippers and maybe push them down their recruit lists very slightly. 

Now if instead almost all conferences outside of 1-2 do it, yes then it’s a very different game. The fact conferences as a whole are going to limit this makes it interesting and I think will raise the question of the “super league” where all the schools could opt into a higher tier where all the blue bloods live and D2 (as other posters alluded to) makes a comeback

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

As SUML points out, if you add 8 men's scholarships, you have to add 8 for the women too.  What happens if the WCHA says they're going to put a lower limit on than the 26, if B1G goes with 26 for the men's teams?  I'm sure that Minnesota/WisconSIN/OSU are maybe a little more than equal to the rest of the schools when it comes to decision-making in the WCHA, but, I wonder if it's enough to dictate how they're going to go.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@steve-mn that’s actually an extremely good point, especially with the B10 teams in the conference being the minority of the conference

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8054

If I'm not mistake Michigan and Michigan State maybe adding women's hockey in the near future if so will there be a Women's Big Ten hockey conference with (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State)? Time will tell.

Penn State is currently in the CHA conference.

ReplyQuote

Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 244
Post on old board: 8761

My head hurts. 

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6