Gopher Women 2024-25

117 Posts
22 Users
10 Reactions
grothm01
(@grothm01)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 274

@collegehockeyaddict Stay out of the penalty box?

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2954
Post on old board: 7833
Topic starter  

Posted by: @grothm01

@collegehockeyaddict Stay out of the penalty box?

Rimshot GIF

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8579

She can do everything including take penalties. 😉 

She plays hockey Gordy Howe style.

ReplyQuote
midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 271

I went to Sunday's game.

-Gophers were clearly the better team, just more hockey sense and speed.

-Murphy is so fun to watch. The ps was incredible, that had to have been on SC top plays.

-I don't go to many women's games but every time I do I'm amazed by the officiating. The Gophers had a great first period scoring opportunity right between the dots that was stopped by BU #28 checking a Gopher forward into the net to stop play. No call. Second period we had a player tripped with a stick in the offensive zone. No call. It's incredible. On the other hand, what a difficult job the refs have calling today's women's game. There's no checking but checking is allowed. Where's the line each game?

Did anyone notice Kosobud playing? Any minutes for her yet?

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @midevil-bowievil
Did anyone notice Kosobud playing? Any minutes for her yet?

She did skate a few shifts. She was on the ice for BU’s first goal although she wasn’t really involved. The Parkkonen girl coughed up the puck for a semi-breakaway by the BU skater. This was the first game Kosobud had dressed for. How much action she sees going forward will likely be tied considerably to how much time Nicholson is out.

EDIT: Actually it must have been their second goal

homer simpson doh GIF

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/1843409483822719006

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4689
Post on old board: 12555

Watching girls Hs Elite league.  Two players really stand out.  Look them up and they’re sisters.  GNETZ.  

really good skaters

ReplyQuote

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

They’re heading to Duluth. Are you here right now?

ReplyQuote
Five-HoleFrenzy
(@five-holefrenzy)
Member Golden
Rep Pts: 14

Iceburg beat me to it.  Brooke and Elaina Gnetz, twin sisters, committed to UMD 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4689
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @iceburg

They’re heading to Duluth. Are you here right now?

I was yes.  My son was practicing on the north rink and I watched the Elite League during his practice.  I try to watch every year.  Every year the competition gets better.

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11564
Post on old board: 21741

Just started watching the Sat OSU game. The one linesman can barely skate. How the bell is that possible?

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Gophers lose the Friday game 4-3. Tie today 1-1 but lose the shootout.

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 902
Post on old board: 5335

Typical performance vs OSU the last few years, close but not close enough.  

Need at least a split at home vs WI this weekend....

ReplyQuote
gopher49
(@gopher49)
Rep Pts: 3

@gopherguy05 

Why does OSU seem to have our number?   I am not a hocky expert by any means, but I can watch.  They seem to be more relentless, particularly around the net. 

What do you experts think?

ReplyQuote

dberg
(@dberg)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 37

@gopher49 I wish I knew the answer to that and I'm sure the coaching staff does as well.  My suspicion is that OSU just seems to play with more grit.  I also think they tend to be much more attack oriented in front of the net.  Gophs (men and women) seem to always be too defensive focused.  I really think Wisconsin women's teams seem to be so focused on always attacking and challenging their opponents.  They can light the lamp and change a game so quickly it'll make your head spin.

Like I said...I wish I knew though.  My suspicion is that it has to do more with coaching philosophy and how that gets translated to the players in their schemes.  In other words...don't give up easy goals...make the other team earn it and take advantage of the other teams mistakes when you can.  Women's team always seems to have sores in the 4 goal range usually which is about right for them.  Wisconsin can put up 6 to 8 goals easily.  Similar for OSU...but not quite that many.

Am curious what others think though.  This current Minnesota Women's team is talented and they should be good...I'm just not in the camp that they can compete with Wisconsin this year.  I think they'll be lucky to win one game against them.  I can see them taking a game or two from OSU if they play smart and the goalie situation improves a bit more.

ReplyQuote
HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 570

Posted by: @bertogliat

Watching girls Hs Elite league.  Two players really stand out.  Look them up and they’re sisters.  GNETZ.  

really good skaters

My daughter plays with them at WHS.  Both are great skaters and super competitive.  Laini takes way too many stupid penalties away from the play though (slashing, checking, etc...).  I know it drives the coaching staff crazy.  I'm hoping she can improve her discipline this year.  She has an A+ shot.

ReplyQuote
gopher49
(@gopher49)
Rep Pts: 3

@dberg More grit seems correct.  Also, the Gophers seem to rely more on speed, long passes and long shots, neither of which seem effective (maybe they were 10 years ago) whereas OSU and WI seem to score more in scrums in front of the goal and our ladies do not clear them out. Gophers seem to rely more on finesse and skill, whereas OSU and WI are more physical and relentless. Their style is, obviously, more effective.   Maybe our coaching philosophy is behind the times?  Like I say, I am not an expert, but I can watch carefully.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3