818 Reactions
39.9 K Views
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

I’ve been a big fan of Rhett’s the past few years but if there’s one thing I can’t stand it’s a player with one foot out the door. The last thing we need as a serious contending team is a top 6/power play guy looking ahead to the pros. If he comes back I hope he’s fully on board with the teams success not just his own. 

I still fully expect him to sign by the way.

It puzzles me that he hasn't signed yet. It has been a week and there is really no "rumors" of teams that are pursuing him being posted online. Wondering if he or his advisors overvalued his services. 

I think if he comes back he will be motivated to put up some big numbers so he can get that good contract. 

My personal opinion is that constantly being in Bob's doghouse is the main factor in all of this. He is not an NHL prospect at this point, I hope his advisors are smart enough to know that.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

I’ve been a big fan of Rhett’s the past few years but if there’s one thing I can’t stand it’s a player with one foot out the door. The last thing we need as a serious contending team is a top 6/power play guy looking ahead to the pros. If he comes back I hope he’s fully on board with the teams success not just his own. 

It puzzles me that he hasn't signed yet. It has been a week and there is really no "rumors" of teams that are pursuing him being posted online. Wondering if he or his advisors overvalued his services. 

I think if he comes back he will be motivated to put up some big numbers so he can get that good contract. 

My personal opinion is that constantly being in Bob's doghouse is the main factor in all of this. He is not an NHL prospect at this point, I hope his advisors are smart enough to know that.

Then Rhett needs to grow thicker skin. He has done a few boneheaded things and has taken some ill advised penalties. Brodzy was in and out of Bob's doghouse for years, yet he managed to play 5 years here. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Then Rhett needs to grow thicker skin. He has done a few boneheaded things and has taken some ill advised penalties. Brodzy was in and out of Bob's doghouse for years, yet he managed to play 5 years here. 

I totally agree. Rhett needs to get over it. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

If Rhett doesn't like the way coach has treated him why didn't he put himself in the Transfer Portal?

The few times he has been benched have been for a period or less and coach typically after having him miss a few shifts has yelled at Rhett "Go get them." I don't think there is bad blood between the two of them.

Rhett is 23 years old, has graduated from college and is hoping a team gives him a chance to live out his boy hood dream of turning pro. Time will tell if he get that opportunity if not I suspect things will be just fine between him and coach if he puts on the Gopher jersey again.

If this was about wanting to get away from coach he would have put himself in the Transfer Portal to keep all his options open.

trixR4kids and mnrouser reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

If Rhett doesn't like the way coach has treated him why didn't he put himself in the Transfer Portal?

The few times he has been benched have been for a period or less and coach typically after having him miss a few shifts has yelled at Rhett "Go get them." I don't think there is bad blood between the two of them.

Rhett is 23 years old, has graduated from college and is hoping a team gives him a chance to live out his boy hood dream of turning pro. Time will tell if he get that opportunity if not I suspect things will be just fine between him and coach if he puts on the Gopher jersey again.

If this was about wanting to get away from coach he would have put himself in the Transfer Portal to keep all his options open.

His family is maroon and gold through and through. His mom was a star gymnast and his dad was a captain of the hockey team. Not to mention his brother. I doubt transferring was ever on the table realistically. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

I really hope Rhett wears the M for one more year.  But I'll be happy for him if he finds a pro contract that works for him.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

His family is maroon and gold through and through. His mom was a star gymnast and his dad was a captain of the hockey team. Not to mention his brother. I doubt transferring was ever on the table realistically. 

Then suck it up buttercup and live up to the legacy.  🤣 

I lean towards believing he's not unhappy at Minnesota and more wans to be a pro, but make your choice.

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

Then suck it up buttercup and live up to the legacy.  🤣 

I lean towards believing he's not unhappy at Minnesota and more wans to be a pro, but make your choice.

Agreed. I was just saying that the transfer thing doesn’t make much sense for Rhett considering his family ties. 

ReplyQuote
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 216

Welllllllllllllll if Rhett does move on, at least it's not going to be as much of a headliner as McGroarty moving on from Michigan today lol. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Just because Rhett wants to turn pro it doesn't mean he is unhappy at Minnesota. People can want to reach the next step (boy hood dream) even when they enjoy playing where they are at. That was my point.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Doesn't a player have to be enrolled at the school when the fall term starts? If so, I would assume that day is rapidly approaching for Rhett. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Doesn't a player have to be enrolled at the school when the fall term starts? If so, I would assume that day is rapidly approaching for Rhett. 

yes and the term starts just after labor day

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Apparently Russell Wilson never attended a class at Wisconsin.  “Student” Athlete

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7906

Attending or not a player still has to enroll at the very least

ReplyQuote

Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 106

@bertogliat 

I think he already had a degree.

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 370

This.

He is not in an Okposo type situation, where a team is just waiting for him to jump. He is waiting for a team to show they want him enough.  He has to prove his value if he comes back. He'd be motivated.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jankwi01

@bertogliat 

I think he already had a degree.

Yeah, I think he graduated, like Rhett, in 3 years from NC State. But I thought to be a college athlete, you need to take college classes.

Pitlick also has his degree.... so maybe he can do the Russell Wilson plan?

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Won't work.  Wilson was a grad student and the football season ends at a more opportune time than hockey.  Rhett would end up ineligible for the second half of the season. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

Won't work.  Wilson was a grad student and the football season ends at a more opportune time than hockey.  Rhett would end up ineligible for the second half of the season. 

So he'd have to take classes for first semester.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/NHLdotcom/status/1827688627263942894

2. Jimmy Snuggerud, F

How acquired: Selected with No. 23 pick in 2022 NHL Draft

2023-24 season: University of Minnesota (NCAA): 39 GP, 21-13-34

St. Louis was ready to elevate Snuggerud (6-1, 186) last season after finishing his sophomore season at Minnesota, but the 20-year-old decided to return to school for his junior campaign.

The Blues respected Snuggerud's decision but do expect him to turn pro this season once his college season concludes.

"For him, he's just not mentally ready and every situation is different," St. Louis assistant GM Tim Taylor said of Snuggerud. "If he was mentally ready, he would have come out. And he just doesn't feel he's mentally ready to take that next jump as of yet. He is close, and we support him because I think this is going to be a great year for him."

Projected NHL arrival: This season

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

As a Wild fan I am no fan of the Blues. But props to them and their GM for being respectful and understanding of Snuggerud’s decision. Obviously we’ve unfortunately seen organizations and GMs not treat college hockey this way. 

BlueBandit24 reacted
ReplyQuote

BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 541

Class starts Sept. 3.  We should get positive confirmation on Pitlick before then?  

Thought I saw someone reference Russell Wilson and that Rhett could potentially enroll only for Spring and still be eligible?  This wouldn’t make much sense for Rhett.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @boninthebear

Class starts Sept. 3.  We should get positive confirmation on Pitlick before then?  

Thought I saw someone reference Russell Wilson and that Rhett could potentially enroll only for Spring and still be eligible?  This wouldn’t make much sense for Rhett.

I think he would have to enroll for fall but wouldn’t have to take classes after the first semester.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Since hockey is a sport that goes over two semesters he would need to take classes the first semester and do well enough to stay eligible for the second semester. He would then need to sign up for classes for the 2nd semester but if he failed those classes it likely wouldn't affect his eligibility since grades for the 2nd semester wouldn't be until after the hockey season is over.

Football being a one semester sport can lead to somebody taking classes for the 1st semester and potentially not caring if they failed if it is their last year.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Also the Pitlick family doesn’t seem like the type of family that would condone Rhett essentially mailing it in academics wise. They don’t do anything half-way.

Wasnt Rem academic all-American?

ReplyQuote
Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 376

@maroon_and_gold 

Division I

• 40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
  • Student-athletes are allowed five years of eligibility and athletically related financial aid.
  • All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation.

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/2/10/student-athletes-current-staying-track-graduate.aspx

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNHL/status/1828796194107310545

3. Jimmy Snuggerud, RW

June 1, 2004 | 6-foot-1 | 186 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 23 in 2022
Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: High-end

Analysis: Snuggerud was one of the best forwards in the Big Ten last season and an important part of Team USA’s gold medal run at the world juniors. He has a lot of offensive creativity. He makes difficult dekes and passes seem routine, and despite not having great footspeed, he generates a lot of controlled entries with his skill. Inside the zone, he’s a pass and shot threat and can impact a power play. His shot is a rifle, and his one-timer can be a legit weapon versus NHL goalies from range. His footspeed is the main concern in projecting him up levels, and I didn’t love his compete this season as much as what I’ve seen before. He looks like a potential middle-six wing who will score a good number of goals in the NHL.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 771

Adding to the conversation again, Motzko just said on KFAN that all indications show Pitlick is going pro. 

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Bob said on KFAN that all indications point to Pitlick going pro.

Listening to PA trying to act like he knows hockey is painful. Quit interrupting and let Bob talk about his team. 

Bob also said this--

https://twitter.com/DylanLoucks4/status/1828830689653055888

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 771

@frozen4champs 

When Bob was going to talk about Souliere and then PA just stopped him I almost had to turn it off haha. I was wondering what Bobs thoughts on him were.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Here is the podcast link for Bob's interview with PA:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/92noon-11am-hour-8-28-bob-motzko/id1253616150?i=1000666931664

Bertogliat reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I stand by my belief that PA is a cartoon.

Dcboe, Amonte_10, Slap Shot and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

For those at the fair--

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1828861047001780676

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I am rolling.  PA- "Oh my, can you still call them midget programs?"  I am trying to picture what was going through PA's mind when Bob said hockey players in New England pay to play on midget teams....🤣

Bob said we play Denver next year.  Here or away?  I may need to save up for a DU flight.....

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11348
Post on old board: 21741

FYI to season ticket holders, game tickets now available in your account. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @bertogliat

I am rolling.  PA- "Oh my, can you still call them midget programs?"  I am trying to picture what was going through PA's mind when Bob said hockey players in New England pay to play on midget teams....🤣

Bob said we play Denver next year.  Here or away?  I may need to save up for a DU flight.....

If it’s an away I’ll definitely be making the trip. haven’t ever seen a game there

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1332
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @upnorthkid

I am rolling.  PA- "Oh my, can you still call them midget programs?"  I

am trying to picture what was going through PA's mind when Bob said hockey players in New England pay to play on midget teams....🤣

If it’s an away I’ll definitely be making the trip. haven’t ever seen a game there

it’s at Denver 2025

Aloha!

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

It is the Hockey Hall of Fame game. Over Thanksgiving of 2025.

https://gophersports.com/news/2024/4/15/mens-hockey-gophers-pioneers-to-meet-in-2025-us-hockey-hall-of-fame-game

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 541

Posted by: @boats

Adding to the conversation again, Motzko just said on KFAN that all indications show Pitlick is going pro. 

Interesting that the conversation turned to sacrificing for the team vs. individual point totals.  

I remember after one of the losses (either Notre Dame blow out in Feb. or Michigan in BTT) Brodzinski was very frustrated and make a comment to the effect of “we were looking for our cookies too much.”  I remember thinking Rhett had a bad game.

Maybe connecting too many dots here but seems like both parties are happy with the outcome.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

It's a great place for hockey.

We went about 14-15 years ago.  It was winter and we rented snow mobiles and went sledding in the mountains.  So much fun.  They also have a little casino town in a river valley about an hour away.  16th street downtown was a blast.  The arena is nice, but requires a train/bus ride to get to.  Awesome local microbrews throughout the arena.

I doubt future trips will happen in the winter, but Oct is a great time to visit Rocky Mountain National Park.

The only downside to my trip was I drank waaay too much and had a miserable flight home.  I sweat the whole way trying not to puke in the bag I held in my hand for two hours.  I did get kicked out of a bar Saturday night, but that was probably for the best.

I'd do the whole trip over again, except the over drinking.  Imagine if they timed it with a Devner vs Wild game.....

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Am I a little delusional? Yes. Do I think Ziemer can replace most of what Pitlick produced last season? Also yes…

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Am I a little delusional? Yes. Do I think Ziemer can replace most of what Pitlick produced last season? Also yes…

Also, what he might not completely replace from Pitlick on the scoring side, not to say that he can’t score, he will make up for and possibly surpass Pitlick in regards to defense and responsibility with the puck. 

ReplyQuote

Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 106

@maroon_and_gold 

He doesn't stick handle as well and does not skate as well. He can contribute as a freshman but isn't going to be a go to guy right away

ReplyQuote
futuregopherdad
(@futuregopherdad)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 68

@jankwi01 yes but it sounds like he may do everything else better with incredible work ethic and less likely to be incredibly streaky 

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

So could the start of the school year go by and we still don’t hear anything about Pitlick? I mean I guess we would have our answer that he isn’t coming back but I’m curious as to what is taking so long? What’s the process that he is going through right now? 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Just listened to the Paul Allen interview with Motz. Interesting that he basically strongly hinted that Souliere was brought on as a backup, as supposed to someone who will split time early. He mentioned Souliere said that his job is to change that by the end of the year which is the right mindset to have for sure. I don’t hate that plan.

I think it’s safe to say that Airey gets the start against Air Force, but whoever starts against UMass/UNO is anyone’s guess at this point. 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Just listened to the Paul Allen interview with Motz. Interesting that he basically strongly hinted that Souliere was brought on as a backup, as supposed to someone who will split time early. He mentioned Souliere said that his job is to change that by the end of the year which is the right mindset to have for sure. I don’t hate that plan.

I think it’s safe to say that Airey gets the start against Air Force, but whoever starts against UMass/UNO is anyone’s guess at this point. 

He also indicated that Souliere sought out Bob (not that Bob was looking for a goalie) and he was happy/excited to join the team, even as the initial back up.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

Gotta imagine an open competition at this point, idk why it wouldn’t be.

ReplyQuote
rowshkex
(@rowshkex)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 342
Post on old board: 5728

Not sure where else to put this...

If anyone has an extra one lying around, I am searching for a Frozen Four 2023 (Tampa) pin--there is one being sold on eBay for $38, but I was hoping not to get scalped 😅...  Willing to offer a reasonable amount!

ReplyQuote

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1332
Post on old board: 5547

So any updates to Mariucci arena for the upcoming season? I know from watching last season on tv the lighting had a few issues to watch the games

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
Page 26 / 28