46.6 K Views
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13512
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1812920001512501284

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1813605913351319987

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8165

I’m starting to come around on Souliere playing a bit more at the start of the year. At first I thought it should just be Airey’s net but now I think a split net to start is wise as long as none of them bomb. So much of goaltending is the team playing in front of you and let’s face it, the ‘24-25 Gophers are gonna be much better than the 23-24 Nittany Lions. Souliere posted a .917 save % the one year Penn State made the tournament, if we could bottle that up, with Airey playing too, we’re in good shape.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

Both guys have plenty of experience playing goalie at a high level but both are also new to being THE guy at a place like Minnesota (no offense to PSU). I’m all on board with playing them both and then just seeing who gets hot and riding with them unless they get hurt or lose their game. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8579

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2672

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Both guys have plenty of experience playing goalie at a high level but both are also new to being THE guy at a place like Minnesota (no offense to PSU). I’m all on board with playing them both and then just seeing who gets hot and riding with them unless they get hurt or lose their game. 

agree completely. airey has shown flashes he could be good, souliere has actually done it in a season (but also shown some lows). play them both unless one shows something where the team is better (there is absolutely something to be said where a goalie inspires a team in front of him to play much better as well) and try figure out a hot hand to ride come playoff time. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 163

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

agree completely. airey has shown flashes he could be good, souliere has actually done it in a season (but also shown some lows). play them both unless one shows something where the team is better (there is absolutely something to be said where a goalie inspires a team in front of him to play much better as well) and try figure out a hot hand to ride come playoff time. 

Souliere should also benefit this year from being on a team that emphasizes defense and has much more capable defensemen in front of him. Significant difference from the PSU style of play.

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5032
Post on old board: 28736

Unless you have a returning stud, splitting time with goalies is always something I support.  While it will lead to freak outs during the season on boards like this it gives the coach and team a better understanding of what they have to work with. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4689
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @handyman

Unless you have a returning stud, splitting time with goalies is always something I support.  While it will lead to freak outs during the season on boards like this it gives the coach and team a better understanding of what they have to work with. 

Who were the last goalies to truly split time?

Moen and Callinan?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @handyman

Who were the last goalies to truly split time?

Moen and Callinan?

Briggs and Frazee?

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Patterson and Kangas perhaps

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Moe and Laffer split for awhile 

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 378

Vegoe with a little insight into the Pitlick situation on the podcast. Still seems like it’s up in the air if he will be back or not. Teasing that the coaches are evaluating adding an additional forward even if Pitlick is back. Accelerating a current recruit or someone uncommitted could be options. 

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1287

Interesting. Curious if the relationship is a bit strained at this point. Would love Pitlick back assuming both sides are fully committed to the situation.

ReplyQuote

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2274
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

Vegoe with a little insight into the Pitlick situation on the podcast. Still seems like it’s up in the air if he will be back or not. Teasing that the coaches are evaluating adding an additional forward even if Pitlick is back. Accelerating a current recruit or someone uncommitted could be options. 

up in the air about what?  Wanting to move to Switzerland?

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @j22

Cheeky comment aside there will be AHL deals available for Rhett and he is 23 after all.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I feel like some of my internal suspicions about Pitlick were a little vindicated last night on the GPL podcast. Hearing that he isn’t taking classes over the summer screams to me that he plans on becoming a free agent and signing come August 15th. Of course there’s still the possibility where he becomes a free agent and doesn’t like his offers so he decides to return for his senior year, so it’s not at all a sure thing that he’s gone but I’d say it’s definitely leaning that way.

He would be a big loss for sure but if there ever was a forward group equipped to handle such a departure it’s this one.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Cheeky comment aside there will be AHL deals available for Rhett and he is 23 after all.

Don't see how leaving the U for an AHL deal would make any sense. 

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level

I like speculating on his potential replacement. New older commit or someone like Teddy Townsend coming in early?

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

I feel like some of my internal suspicions about Pitlick were a little vindicated last night on the GPL podcast. Hearing that he isn’t taking classes over the summer screams to me that he plans on becoming a free agent and signing come August 15th. Of course there’s still the possibility where he becomes a free agent and doesn’t like his offers so he decides to return for his senior year, so it’s not at all a sure thing that he’s gone but I’d say it’s definitely leaning that way.

He would be a big loss for sure but if there ever was a forward group equipped to handle such a departure it’s this one.

I'm pretty sure that a player can't become a UFA without declaring that he's leaving school. 

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@j22 you are correct. If I was one of these guys I wouldn’t take classes over the summer. Why not go do what you want, workout, skate, etc without having to worry about turning in some random assignment? I’d envision a pretty decent number of these guys (especially those camping/doing nhl things) take the summer off class.

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I'm pretty sure that a player can't become a UFA without declaring that he's leaving school. 

A couple of things. If he "graduated" in 3 years and is not enrolled for any classes this summer, would that be considered declaring that he is  leaving school?  I'm not sure of that one, but could be.

Will his stock be any higher after the season he has had? It appears he doesn't want to play in Montreal, so he may think the best option is to take the money this summer and not risk a lower year of production. He could come back and really have a huge year, but that is the chance he has to think about.

I want him back, and again, wish this decision would have been made in May. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Don't see how leaving the U for an AHL deal would make any sense. 

Hey man don’t ask me. Money is money I guess. Sometimes a player feels like it’s time for pro hockey whatever that pro league may be.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I like speculating on his potential replacement. New older commit or someone like Teddy Townsend coming in early?

No reason for that imo. Don’t stunt his development. Whoever we grab in this scenario assuming Pitlick signs (big assumption at this point) is likely just a practice player Nick Michel type. Hell offer Nick Michel a covid year why not.

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level

I don’t disagree on rushing a current commit if he’s not ready but you are freeing up scholarship $ so I’d like something more than a Michel type player. Felt the same last year when Cooley signed. 

and Vegoe threw out bringing a commit in early as an option, so I wouldn’t put it at 0%. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @frozen4champs

A couple of things. If he "graduated" in 3 years and is not enrolled for any classes this summer, would that be considered declaring that he is  leaving school?  I'm not sure of that one, but could be.

Will his stock be any higher after the season he has had? It appears he doesn't want to play in Montreal, so he may think the best option is to take the money this summer and not risk a lower year of production. He could come back and really have a huge year, but that is the chance he has to think about.

I want him back, and again, wish this decision would have been made in May. 

This has to be relayed to the ncaa so would envision Bob would already know if it was the case he was declaring he’d graduated

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1816507965047996911

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 592

C’mon Rhett, run it back one more time.  The 7’s line can’t exist without 77.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

From Jess this morning--

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1817533319287808280

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Certainly seems like Rhett wil sign. It is what it is. As I posted before, if there ever was a forward group equipped to handle a late departure like this it’s this one. Maybe Hendrickson or Pahlsson won’t have to play on the 4th line now lol

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Got to be honest, I didn’t even realize that Pitlick was a flight risk until the podcast this past Wednesday. People had laid out some of the points why he might sign on here but other than that I figured if he didn’t sign with a team already he was coming back. I really hope he does, he’s a great player, but certainly not a season ending move for the Gophers if he leaves. 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Yep, bit of a different animal than Cooley last August

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

seems like a super odd situation if he signs but maybe it’ll end up being all for the best if he does with the extreme up and down nature of his end of last year. Will be interesting to see how it plays out

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Yep, bit of a different animal than Cooley last August

Definitely. Also, with the Cooley situation there were certainly signs but it was still somewhat of a shock. This time around with Pitlick it’s a little surprising with us fans but it sounds like privately and behind the scenes the coaches and program are prepared for either outcome. Which is encouraging. 

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

When should we know? 

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

It sounds like a pro signing would come in middle to late August if he becomes a free agent on August 15th.

He is 23 years old and graduated from college in 3 years. He is older because he played 2 years in the USHL after playing 3 years of varsity at Chaska High School.

I totally understand if he wants to move on. I get the part about people saying he is not an NHL player but whether he ends up playing in the NHL at some point or not he still has an opportunity to play pro hockey. The NHL isn't the only pro hockey league. He is graduated from college and often when people graduate from college at 23 years old they want to move on to the next phase of their life.

Rhett and the Pitlick family has given a lot to the Gophers with both his brother (Rem) and father (Lance) playing for the U.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

From World Jr camp-- Notes from Chris Peters

LJ Mooney, C (2025)

Invited late to the camp, Mooney is a long shot to make USA’s roster, but the 5-foot-6 dynamo still showed why he belongs with this group. He has higher-end skill and a motor that doesn’t quit. He made a few nifty plays and was on the ice for the game-winning goal for USA White. He is certainly trying to make the most of his chance in camp.

USA Lines From Day 1 at the World Junior Summer Showcase

USA White Lineup vs. Finland

Quentin Musty (SJS) – Mac Swanson (PIT) – Cole Eiserman (NYI)
Teddy Stiga (NSH) – Carey Terrance (ANA) – Tanner Adams
Becket Hendrickson (BOS) – Jake Fisher (COL) – Jayson Shaugabay (TBL)
Austin Burnevik (ANA) – LJ Mooney (2025) – James Reeder (LAK)

Cole Hutson (WSH) – Gavin McCarthy (BUF)
Colin Ralph (STL) – EJ Emery (NYR)
Zach Schulz (NYI) – Aram Minnetian (DAL)
Matt Mania (LAK)

Sam Hillebrandt
Carsen Musser (UTA)

USA Blue Lineup vs. Sweden 

Gabe Perreault (NYR) – James Hagens (2025) – Ryan Leonard (WSH)
Max Plante (DET) – Oliver Moore (CHI) – William Whitelaw (CBJ)
Brandon Svoboda (SJS) – Chris Pelosi (BOS) – Noah Powell (PHI)
Joey Willis (NSH) – Brodie Ziemer (BUF) – AJ Spellacy (CHI)

Zeev Buium (MIN) – Tory Pitner (COL)
Paul Fischer (STL) – Adam Kleber (BUF)
Andrew Strathmann (CBJ) – Lukas Fischer (STL)
John Whipple (DET)

Trey Augustine (DET)
Hampton Slukynsky (LAK)

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1817705197038186860

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

LJ Mooney, C (2025)

Invited late to the camp, Mooney is a long shot to make USA’s roster, but the 5-foot-6 dynamo still showed why he belongs with this group. He has higher-end skill and a motor that doesn’t quit. He made a few nifty plays and was on the ice for the game-winning goal for USA White. He is certainly trying to make the most of his chance in camp.

Matt Mania (LAK)

Sam Hillebrandt
Carsen Musser (UTA)

John Whipple (DET)

Trey Augustine (DET)
Hampton Slukynsky (LAK)

Mooney really seems like he’s blossoming. Should be super fun to watch with the gophs

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 592

Posted by: @upnorthkid

LJ Mooney, C (2025)

Matt Mania (LAK)

Sam Hillebrandt
Carsen Musser (UTA)

John Whipple (DET)

Trey Augustine (DET)
Hampton Slukynsky (LAK)

Mooney really seems like he’s blossoming. Should be super fun to watch with the gophs

No Rinzel?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@boninthebear He turned 20 in June, so I think he has aged out.

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

He's an 04, it's 05s and younger. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Brodie Ziemer just keeps on scoring in the World Juniors Summer Showcase. I’ve said it a million times on here but i think he will be the closest thing we’ve seen to Rau since Rau graduated in 2015. He will be such a fan favorite with his style of play.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Not to get too ahead of myself, and I know Rau unfortunately didn’t win one, but those types of players are the guys that win championships. Hopefully a solid 3-4 year guy that will one day have a letter on his sweater. 

Boats reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

FYI for those of us that are season ticket holders--

2025 BIG TEN HOCKEY TOURNAMENT TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW!

Tickets for the 2025 Big Ten Hockey Tournament are currently ON SALEfor Gopher Men's Hockey Season Ticket Holders! All Session Tournament ticket packages are only $84.50 per seat for season ticket holders - a 25% savings over the public price!

Gopher Men's Hockey Season Ticket Holders are able to secure their season ticket location for the 2025 tournament through their ticketing account until August 26th, 2024.

ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 163

Brodie Ziemer just keeps on scoring in the World Juniors Summer Showcase. I’ve said it a million times on here but i think he will be the closest thing we’ve seen to Rau since Rau graduated in 2015. He will be such a fan favorite with his style of play.

any of the rau chirp?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1817952587124990010

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Chris Peters thoughts on the Gophers that participated in World Jr Camp.

Beckett Hendrickson, LW (BOS)

Hendrickson had a very effective camp. He showed he can fit a role in the depth of their lineup and made some plays. He’s gotten stronger and is more difficult to play against as a result. I’m not sure he has enough offensive pop to be part of the kind of forward group USA is building, but he was rewarded by playing in the game against Canada and showed there’s at least reason to keep him on the long list with solid penalty killing and good work ethic.

LJ Mooney, C (2025)

A late invite to camp, Mooney held his own. He’s a 5-foot-6 forward with a boatload of skill, a willingness to compete and some real hockey sense. The lack of size, however, was noticeable at times as he was overpowered. I still love his willingness to get in there and take pucks to the hard areas of the ice. He has three years of World Junior eligibility and while I don’t see him making it as an underager, he should be in the mix next year.

Oliver Moore, C (CHI)

One of the fastest players on ice at any level, Moore’s speed is a weapon. He showed that multiple times, creating chances and causing problems for opposing players. Moore is going to be a big piece for Team USA, likely as their No. 2 center and on the penalty kill and perhaps second power play unit. Moore’s two-way ability provides a lot of value, but if he ever can improve his ability to finish the plays he can create, he really could become a star at the NHL level. His hands are still catching up to his feet, but there’s a lot to like about his overall game.

Brodie Ziemer, RW (BUF)

Ziemer put himself firmly in the mix to make Team USA. He made a lot of good plays, showed great effort down low, won some pucks and turned them into dangerous chances and sometimes goals. He is not flashy, but he is effective and has enough skill to score. I think he’s a Swiss Army Knife of a player, which dramatically helps his cause. My expectation is he will play a big role at Minnesota this year and put himself firmly in the mix to be on USA’s roster, potentially even in a top-nine role.

John Whipple, LHD (DET)

Whipple plays an abrasive style and certainly annoyed a number of his opponents. He also took a few unnecessary penalties. I don’t think he’s going to be in the mix this year, but he’ll certainly have a chance to make it in 2026 in his home state of Minnesota. He held his own this week, but more time and strength building at Minnesota will prepare him to be ready next time around.

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1820478020131655738

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Congrats to the Huglen's. Aaron and his wife are expecting a baby in February per his instagram.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Congrats to the Huglen's. Aaron and his wife are expecting a baby in February per his instagram.

Shouldn't this be in the Potential Future Recruit thread? 😉 

Greyeagle, maroon and gold, frozen4champs and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote

AlabamaGopher
(@alabamagopher)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 39

Nicolas Cloutier of TVA Sports tweeted (Google translated from French):
"The Montreal Canadiens confirm to me that Rhett Pitlick is no longer a hope for the organization. Rhett, brother of Rem, former CH forward, has just finished his best season in the NCAA, but it clearly didn't convince the staff given the number of prospects on offense. 5th round pick in 2019. When Timmins and Shane Churla drafted Rhett Pitlick, they were praying that, in the best-case scenario, the youngster would develop into a Jake Guentzel-like player."

ReplyQuote
Page 23 / 30