71 Users
219 Reactions
29.5 K Views
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8007
Post on old board: 35040

They broke the system, exposed the "flaw" in said system. I get that part, "breaking math" is just so much more fun to say. 😉 

I am really glad I saw that in my lifetime, given the teams I follow. No other team has done that, really. (Do not bring up the '72 Dolphins, number A: not a points system, number B, they only played 12 reg season games. The 16-0 Pats were a better team, until that miracle catch, which pains me to bring up)

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7842

Posted by: @karlsson

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Well the Gopher women deserved an infinity rating that year since they clearly were never going to lose no matter how many games they played. 😉 

While this may be true, the problem is that it breaks the entire model. Meaning the rankings of other teams were all screwed up as well. That is what made it so bad ass. 😃 

I understand. My post was tongue in cheek aka it doesn't matter what the ranking is, could, or should be for other teams since they were all just playing for 2nd place anyway. 😉 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10850
Post on old board: 21741

Beanpot title game on NHL Network. 

If you missed the Anthem consider yourself fortunate. Very fortunate. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12792
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/jimmyconnelly/status/1757219511235731702

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2409

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/jimmyconnelly/status/1757219511235731702

good, we don't need more ways to have 20 year old plus guys added to the league, further pushing kids timelines down the road. college hockey needs to get younger, not older

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4660

BU and Northeastern heading to Overtime for the Beanpot. On ESPN+

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

It's on NHL Network too

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (yes, that is his name lol) wins it for Northeastern in OT. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Down goes BU!

(again)

gopheritall reacted
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

Congrats Northeastern

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

All sorts of high end talent on BU this year, but they remind me an awful lot of Michigan the last few years. I'll be real curious how things go for them in the postseason.

That said, great win for NE. Fun game

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2638
Post on old board: 15478

On paper, BU beats anyone.

That said, they'll probably get bushwhacked by an older defensive team.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7466
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (yes, that is his name lol) wins it for Northeastern in OT. 

Get that man via the portal for the name alone!

He sounds like a gumshoe from a 30's gangster movie. 

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 334

Watched the Beanpot last night and BU is a pretty solid team.  Very offense first and some creative playmakers.  Macklin Cellebrini is a pretty astounding player for a 17 year old - at least that's what the announcers said about his age.

The goalie looks pretty solid and the have some talented D in Hutson, but I didn't see a great amount of defensive structure or effective transition game.  Again, I have seen them play once, so NE might have had something to do with how they played.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

The BU - Michigan comparison made last night is valid.

BU also reminded me of past STA State Tourney teams, a lot of cringe worthy defensive zone play.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1789

Posted by: @greyeagle

BU also reminded me of past STA State Tourney teams, a lot of cringe worthy defensive zone play.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

gopher6 reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2638
Post on old board: 15478

Historically, I don't think you have to look much past Mariucci Area for teams that play like that.

Offense is great but never at the expense of defense. 

This year's Gophers might get tripped up, but I think their best chance at going deep is to keep playing the style of game they are right now.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Duluth and Quinnipiac are examples of more defensive minded team winning the Natty but BC, BU, North Dakota and Denver have all won with teams that were more offensive minded.

Different types of teams win the Natty.

All these teams were good both offensively and defensively so classifying them as one or the other is only part of the story.

Most National Championship teams have at least one game in the tourney where they were really close to losing but got a break/found a way to win so the difference between winning/not a winning a Natty is so small that saying you have to do/be this or that to win IMO is tough to gauge. 

I do agree with the overall premise that the way the Gophers are playing defensively is important.

The USA beating the Russians in 1980 is a great example of what can happen in a single elimination/short tournament. 

In their last exhibition game, against the Soviets at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, February 9, the Americans were crushed 10–3.[31][32] Soviet head coach Viktor Tikhonov later said that this victory "turned out to be a very big problem" by causing the Soviets to underestimate the American team.[33] The game was also costly for the Americans off-ice, as defenseman Jack O'Callahan pulled a ligament in his knee; however, Brooks kept O'Callahan on the roster, which meant the U.S. was virtually playing with only 19 players throughout the tournament. O'Callahan eventually returned for the game against the Soviets, playing limited minutes. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

Historically, I don't think you have to look much past Mariucci Area for teams that play like that.

Offense is great but never at the expense of defense. 

This year's Gophers might get tripped up, but I think their best chance at going deep is to keep playing the style of game they are right now.

I would love to see how far the Gophs could go if they keep playing this tight defensively.  The more they keep winning I feel like the buy in will keep getting better.  If we stay healthy and Closer keeps it up there is nobody they cant beat. 

Historically I agree with you, the U always was near the top of the NCAA in scoring and usually mid ranking for goals against.  I think that hurt the Kessel team and some others that fizzled out earlier than they should have. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7623

Keep your eyes on #1 BC @ #10 UMass and #3 BU @ #11 Providence. If either upset they will A) be right on the Gophers heels in pairwise and B) will be very close to a lock in the NCAA’s.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Penn State is playing terrible hockey to start this one with Michigan

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

It looks like Michigan realizes the importance of this weekend. Playing at Penn State the Wolverines scored at 36 seconds and then at 1:01 to take a 2-0 lead. Michigan has had some problems holding leads so if Penn State can getting going they can certainly come back.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Boston University is 3-4 in their last 7 games.

1-2 against #1 Boston College

1-0 against #16 New Hampshire

0-2 against #20 Northeastern

1-0 against #30 Merrimack

Tonight they were down 1-0 to #12 Providence, were being out shot 9-1 and then took a penalty but scored a short handed goal to tie it at 1.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

#35 U Mass-Lowell is up 2-0 on #20 Northeastern this would be a huge blow for Northeastern's chances of getting high enough to get an at large berth.

Their two recent wins against Boston University has given them an outside chance. 

Wisconsin and Ohio State are 0-0 after two periods. When do the refs help Bucky get the win? 😉 

Michigan scores a short handed goal less than 4 minutes into the 2nd period to go up 4-0. Shots are 12-12 but when playing Penn State scoring chances and shots are often quite different. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Ohio State beat Wisconsin 3-2.

The Buckeyes with their goalie pulled tied the game with 1:39 left in the 3rd and then won it with 22 seconds left in OT.

Ohio State was 1-15-2 in Big Ten conference games before tonight.

The Badger loss dropped them from #4 to #6 in Pairwise.

Maine (who is currently #5) is losing 3-1 in the 3rd period to #16 New Hampshire unless they come back Wisconsin will go back up to #5.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Quite a few of the countries top teams were off their game tonight.

These are current Pairwise rankings.

#3 Boston University 2-2 tie (loses the shoot out) to #10 Providence

#5 Wisconsin loses 3-2 to #32 Ohio State

#6 Maine loses 6-2 to #16 New Hampshire

#12 U Mass loses 5-1 to #1 Boston College

#20 Northeastern loses 4-2 to #33 U Mass-Lowell

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Dress like a seat night in Duluth. Denver up 3-2 in the 3rd period. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

CC is up 7-1 over North Dakota

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Denver was up 4-2 but Duluth scores twice with their goalie pulled to send the game to OT.

Denver wins 5-4 in OT.

At the end of the 1st period senior defensemen Luke Bast of Duluth got a 2 minute cross checking penalty, a 5 minute slashing penalty and a game misconduct with no other penalty being called. That doesn't seem like a leadership player from a senior.

Duluth with the home loss drops to 10-14-4 overall (6-10-1 in conference play). They are in 7th place in the 8 team NCHC.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Colorado College is now 3-0 against North Dakota. In December they went to the Ralph and won both games. North Dakota has scored 5 goals in the three games (2, 2 and 1). The Gophers played CC twice and scored 10 goals (4 and 6).

With this win Colorado College moves to #15 in Pairwise (#14 in RPI).

Michigan ends the night at #16 in Pairwise and RPI. 

#10 thru #16 is quite close in RPI which is the most important part of Pairwise. The race for the last few at large spots is going to be exciting.

The RPI distance (.0140) between the #9 Gophers (.5775) and #10 Providence (.5635) is about twice as much as the distance (.0075) between #10 Providence (.5635) and #16 Michigan (.5560).

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

The Gophers weren’t alone in their woes last night.

#2 Nodak lost to CC

#3 BU tied Providence

#5 Wisconsin lost to OSU

#6 Maine lost to UNH

#7 Denver went to OT with Duluth

Was a bit of a weird night last night

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1199
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

The Gophers weren’t alone in their woes last night.

#2 Nodak lost to CC

#3 BU tied Providence

#5 Wisconsin lost to OSU

#6 Maine lost to UNH

#7 Denver went to OT with Duluth

Was a bit of a weird night last night

I blame CHN. They put out their Pairwise probability matrix this week. All those teams realize they are locks to make the tourney and turned their focus on that if only for one night. (Yes this is like 90% sarcasm)

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12792
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Here is how the top 9 in the pairwise have done in the last 8. 

Top ranked BC is the team that is on a roll. 7-1 in last 8

The Whioux had not lost in REGULATION since Nov 3rd. They do have a handful of OT losses, so they were do for a loss. They are 6-1-1 in the last 8.

BU has struggle the last month. They are 3-4-1 in the last 8. 

Sparty is 5-3 in the last 8.

BADgers are 3-3-2 in the last 8.

Maine is 4-4 in their last 8.

Denver is 4-3-1 in their last 8. They are now missing the 2nd leading scorer in the NCAA now. They are battling for a home ice spot in the NCHC.

QU is 6-2 in the last 8.

The Gophers are 5-2-1 in the last 8.

Providence is 4-3-1 in the last 8

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Wisco down to OSU 1-0 again. 

Edit: make that 2-0

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

The Wisconsin diving team has now been called for Embellishment AND Diving in the 2nd period. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Two separate plays. The referees are onto Wisconsin antics

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Wisconsin gets another opponent goal disallowed this time it was ruled a hand pass.

Would have been 4-1 Ohio State but instead the score stays 3-1.

13 minutes left in the 3rd period.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The Badgers get swept by Ohio State.

Ohio State was 1-15-2 in Big Ten games going into the weekend.

Wisconsin with the two losses has dropped to #7 in Pairwise.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Denver was up 4-2 but Duluth scores twice with their goalie pulled to send the game to OT.

Denver wins 5-4 in OT.

At the end of the 1st period senior defensemen Luke Bast of Duluth got a 2 minute cross checking penalty, a 5 minute slashing penalty and a game misconduct with no other penalty being called. That doesn't seem like a leadership player from a senior.

Duluth with the home loss drops to 10-14-4 overall (6-10-1 in conference play). They are in 7th place in the 8 team NCHC.

Guess where Luke Bast used to play

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Denver wins 5-4 in OT.

Guess where Luke Bast used to play

Our Lady Of It's Just Hard Nosed Hockey?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

@chill-kessel The Syracuse Bulldogs (ops I mean the Sue). Here is a picture of him.

download

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Pat and the other BTN announcer doing the ugly helmets ^2 are a breath of fresh air compared to Ramble On Rose & Partner on Peacock.  My goodness they talked a lot without saying anything.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Good chance psu gets five for a really stupid elbow away from the play when they are up one goal.

And he does.  Idiot move and will probably cost them the game with 8+ left.

Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 725

Good chance psu gets five for a really stupid elbow away from the play when they are up one goal.

And now PSU challenging for head contact somewhere else haha

And gets called hahaha

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

The u-mi coach seems like the most unlikeable coach in the B1G, which is saying something when Guy Gadwhatever is also in the league.

Boats and MikeEruzione11 reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @boats

And now PSU challenging for head contact somewhere else haha

And gets called hahaha

have never seen that happen. both teams pick up a 5 at the same time for 2 different plays. Also Michigan might be the worst disciplined team in all of hockey

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Also Michigan might be the worst disciplined team in all of hockey

Definitely, the competition is for 2nd place.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5331

PSU gonna split with Michigan. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

u-mi may be in win the tourney or play golf portion of the season.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

I’d have to assume Michigan’s at-large chances are now very very low. Like 5-10% or so. 

Page 8 / 19