45 Users
136 Reactions
17.8 K Views
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11564
Post on old board: 21741

The Pohlads get a lot of well deserved criticism but without Carl buying the team it was highly likely the Twins would have been long gone in the mid 1980s.  

This will be interesting to folllow.  You never know what/who you will get.....hope the Target Field lease is ironclad.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1256
Post on old board: 6069

They will explore selling the team, but I worry they’re not actually serious about it. Also, I really hope whoever does buy the team intends to keep them here. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8579

Yeah this could turn out to be a case of be careful what you ask for you might get.

Having said this I am willing to bet most Twins fans are so fed up with the Pohlads that they are willing to take their chances and I am likely in that group. Target Field being 15 years old when next season starts hopefully makes the possibility of the team leaving being more than a decade away. If new ownership is found in the near future hopefully things on the ownership side improve leading to more fan excitement/support resulting in the new ownership not looking to move the team when the lease is closer to ending.

Twins, ballpark authority to split cost of assessing Target Field’s future needs

Stadium will host 15th Opening Day in April and is about halfway through the initial 30-year lease.

By Christopher Magan

The Minnesota Star Tribune

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1586
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Yeah this could turn out to be a case of be careful what you ask for you might get.

Having said this I am willing to bet most Twins fans are so fed up with the Pohlads that they are willing to take their chances and I am likely in that group. Target Field being 15 years old when next season starts hopefully makes the possibility of the team leaving being more than a decade away. If new ownerships is found in the near future hopefully things on the ownership side improve leading to more fan excitement/support resulting in the new ownership not looking to move the team when the lease is closer to ending.

Twins, ballpark authority to split cost of assessing Target Field’s future needs

Stadium will host 15th Opening Day in April and is about halfway through the initial 30-year lease.

By Christopher Magan

The Minnesota Star Tribune

Part of me thinks that this is simply a slick PR move to take heat off the Pohlad family…I’ll be surprised if they ACTUALLY sell the team.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

I suspect it could be a little bite of both. The Pohlads clearly see the Twins as strictly a business so if they get the price they want I can definitely see them selling but if they don't then it's well we tried to sell the team like you wanted us to.

Since the Pohlads issued a public statement stating that they are exploring selling the team if they don't make an honest effort this could end up back firing because now they have started to get people's hopes up about new ownerships so if it doesn't happen the back lashes could be fierce especially if it's reported/perceived they got a fair offer.

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1844407157292478634

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1918
Topic starter  

Posted by: @greyeagle

The Pohlad's get a lot of well deserved criticism but without Carl buying the team it was highly likely the Twins would have been long gone in the mid 1980s.  

This will be interesting to follow.  You never know what/who you will get.....hope the Target Field lease is ironclad.

It would shock me if that is currently on the table, given how most of those team movement discussions are ploys to get a new stadium, and that Target Field is beautiful.  I can't imagine the TV markets of San Antonio/Austin/Charlotte would be more attractive locations than MSP. Expansion, I think, would be the way to get teams there because of expansion fees. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4689
Post on old board: 12555

Checks calendar…. NOT APRIL 1st!

if the twins expect me to pay $100 to watch them play on TV, then they either have to be willing to spend more money or the Pohlads need to sell the team. I am not going to pay $100 to watch them play on TV if they’re going to put out an inferior product, that’s just insane 

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

This is way all sports are going and have for some time - pay to watch. As fans we definitely have a choice to pay or not but it is the new norm.

$100 for a 162 game season is less than 62 cents a game.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Future Headline: Former New York Yankee player saves the Minnesota Twins 😲 🤣 

https://twitter.com/NickNelsonMN/status/1844407416974344232

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

This is way all sports are going and have for some time - pay to watch. As fans we definitely have a choice to pay or not but it is the new norm.

Up until now the cost was built into my cable bill.  I would never watch 162 games.  I may watch 20 games per year. 

If you're going to make me pay separately for each sport I watch the Twins, especially low budget Pohlad Twins, are far down the list.  And In return for having to pay for the channel, I would expect them to get rid of those ridiculous yellow and blue uniforms.

Financially competitive team (pay for pitching) and uniforms that are not hard to look at.  These are my demands.

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
grothm01
(@grothm01)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 274

$100 for a year is like stealing, compared to the $50 a month I would have to pay to get Bally on Xfinity.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @grothm01

$100 for a year is like stealing, compared to the $50 a month I would have to pay to get Bally on Xfinity.

With Bally’s I also get Wild games and Timberwolves and potentially some Gopher games.  

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 740

Breaking:  Pohlad family to sell the Twins.

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5032
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @greyeagle

The Pohlads get a lot of well deserved criticism but without Carl buying the team it was highly likely the Twins would have been long gone in the mid 1980s.  

This will be interesting to folllow.  You never know what/who you will get.....hope the Target Field lease is ironclad.

They burned up that good will a long time ago...

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Literally no one watches 162 games...come on!

ReplyQuote
grothm01
(@grothm01)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 274

@bertogliat That still is not worth $50/month.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I don’t know where this $50/mo number is coming from.  I pay $12.25 per month for it.

I’ve attached the portion of my current bill for regional sports fee that covers Bally’s.

IMG 2636

ReplyQuote
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1071

Posted by: @bertogliat

I don’t know where this $50/mo number is coming from.  I pay $12.25 per month for it.

I’ve attached the portion of my current bill for regional sports fee that covers Bally’s.

-- attachment is not available --

It could very well depend what package you have...

In my area (covered by MediaCOM), In order to even have access to that channel, you need to have their highest package.  Which is $25 per month higher than the next package.  Additionally there is a $4.60 - $16.52 regional sports fee.  Lets meet in the middle and call it $10.  So it is $35 higher.  Additionally, if I want their TV/Cable service, I HAVE to have one of their other services Phone or Internet.  Not interested in Phone, and their internet of a similar speed is about $15 more per month than what I pay CenturyLink (now called something else...).  So If I want Bally's sports, yes, I would in fact end up spending about $50 more per month than I do now.

That does not even include all the equipment rental fees for the stupid little boxes if I want to watch on multiple TVs.

Edit:  And that doesn't even account for the fact that my YouTubeTV is cheaper than their mid-level cable package (after all taxes and fees are included).  So it is more than a $50 per month premium to get Bally's Sports.

$152.97 per month just for the Package to have access to Bally's Sports North.

Plus optional extras of $6.95 HD Fee, $19.99 DVR service, $19.99 multi-room DVR service, $9.99 per 'additional' Xtream1 (box)...

Screenshot 2024 10 10 163128

Cable TV is way too rich for my blood.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Everyone on the flight to LA for the Gopher Game are excited at the prospect of a sale.  If the Pohlads don't follow through it could get ugly.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13512
Post on old board: 9626

I heard Glen Taylor is interested in buying the Twins... (kidding)

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

I heard Glen Taylor is interested in buying the Twins... (kidding)

frustrated the office GIF

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3616
Post on old board: 30840

It will be interesting to see how seriously they look at selling the team. 

I saw estimations that the sale price would be around $1.5 billion to buy the team. 

The nice thing is generally speaking anyone who buys the team would be buying it to run it as a baseball team and not just as a money-making venture. Meaning hopefully they'd be willing to spend more money.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1586
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @beauner

I saw estimations that the sale price would be around $1.5 billion to buy the team. 

The nice thing is generally speaking anyone who buys the team would be buying it to run it as a baseball team and not just as a money-making venture. Meaning hopefully they'd be willing to spend more money.

When you're truly serious about selling a MLB team, you don’t announce it to the public at this early of a stage. They might be thinking of selling the team, but this announcement smells like a PR move to take heat off the Twins owners, creating a tiny amount of fear new owners will want to move team as a backhanded reminder the Pohlads have kept Twins in MLPS since they bought the team in 1980’s. Accordingly I’ll believe it when I see it. ☝️

Timing is conspicuous after fan outrage and frustration seemed to reach an all time high this year. It would be a huge breath of fresh air though. Maybe Joe Pohlad realized he was in over his head as the head of operations and doesn’t want to deal with the headache of fan backlash.

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3616
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @bearpaw28

Posted by: @beauner

When you're truly serious about selling a MLB team, you don’t announce it to the public at this early of a stage. They might be thinking of selling the team, but this announcement smells like a PR move to take heat off the Twins owners, creating a tiny amount of fear new owners will want to move team as a backhanded reminder the Pohlads have kept Twins in MLPS since they bought the team in 1980’s. Accordingly I’ll believe it when I see it. ☝️

Timing is conspicuous after fan outrage and frustration seemed to reach an all time high this year. It would be a huge breath of fresh air though. Maybe Joe Pohlad realized he was in over his head as the head of operations and doesn’t want to deal with the headache of fan backlash.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some of the same concerns. It kinda smells like BS to an extent. But at the same time announcing it publicly is a great way to get some bidding wars started.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8061
Post on old board: 18942

It's either a BS ploy or it's not, but the "timing" of the announcement is completely immaterial.  When exactly does a franchise properly make such a statement? Examples please - show your work.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8449
Post on old board: 35040

Well, Ohtani accounts for about $300MM for the Dodgers...

I kid, I kid. I know his pay structure. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7854
Post on old board: 10120

I miss the Metrodome. So many great memories in that big inflatable toilet….

I know I was a lot younger then…but does it seem like ball players looked a lot older back then than they do now? 

ReplyQuote
Page 15 / 15