829 Posts
53 Users
26 Likes
11.1 K Views
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Probably, but if the season doesn't go well he may be worth a ton at the deadline.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5143

Chill Kessel wrote:

Probably, but if the season doesn't go well he may be worth a ton at the deadline.

Exactly. I like this signing. Would love another ace, though. Hopefully they can work something out with Oakland.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3910
Post on old board: 12555

Bertogliat wrote:

Can he pitch?

Is he reading GPL?

https://twitter.com/bmileskikfan/status/1505159052376084483?s=21

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3294
Post on old board: 30840
Topic starter  

Maize wrote:

Bigbeer wrote:

Yeah…super good deal for the Twins. Why did CC agree to this? Couldn’t he have easily gotten something like 5 year 150 million?

He switched agents this year, so his old agency was entitled to the commission on this contract, but his new agent gets the commission on his next contract.

Is that how it works? I was under the impression that his old agency would only get the cut if he agreed to a deal he had been offered before switching to Boras. I have a hard time believing the Twins had offered him that contract before the lockout.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

It likely is controlled by the contract he has with the agency.

Maize
(@maize)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 93

Beauner wrote:

Is that how it works? I was under the impression that his old agency would only get the cut if he agreed to a deal he had been offered before switching to Boras. I have a hard time believing the Twins had offered him that contract before the lockout.

His former agency can file a claim based on any offer he received before the lockout, and they'd get commission on that, and the new agency gets the commission on whatever is left over, is how I understand it. Since Detroit reportedly offered $275M over 10, that's a couple million dollars lost over every year of the deal.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Maize wrote:

Beauner wrote:

His former agency can file a claim based on any offer he received before the lockout, and they'd get commission on that, and the new agency gets the commission on whatever is left over, is how I understand it. Since Detroit reportedly offered $275M over 10, that's a couple million dollars lost over every year of the deal.

But if the Twins didn't offer before the lockout how would they have a claim on it?

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3909
Post on old board: 9428

Beauner wrote:

Maize wrote:

Beauner wrote:

But if the Twins didn't offer before the lockout how would they have a claim on it?

He turned down the Detroit offer to take this one?

The Name On The Front
(@thenameonthefront)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 101

Idontknow wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

Can he pitch?

Yeah, I love that the Twins are spending money but I think I would have rather had them just keep Kiner-Falefa and spend the Correa money on pitching.

IKF was dealt in the trade that opened up extra money for Correa. There is no "Correa money" if that doesn't happen. They can still go trade for a pitcher just as they could have before, but now they have an insane upgrade both defensively and offensively at the position. It's a no-brainer to get Correa here.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

TheNameOnTheFront wrote:

Idontknow wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

Can he pitch?

Yeah, I love that the Twins are spending money but I think I would have rather had them just keep Kiner-Falefa and spend the Correa money on pitching.

IKF was dealt in the trade that opened up extra money for Correa. There is no "Correa money" if that doesn't happen. They can still go trade for a pitcher just as they could have before, but now they have an insane upgrade both defensively and offensively at the position. It's a no-brainer to get Correa here.

Pretty much this.

The Twins traded Kiner-Falefa to offload Josh Donaldson's contract. The Yankees had already expressed interest in IKF when he was with Texas but the Twins offer was better. So the Yankees contacted the Twins about trying to make a move for IKF. The Twins and Yankees worked out a deal. They then used the money saved from Donaldson to pay Correa. Correa is a better player than both of them.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1143

TheNameOnTheFront wrote:

Idontknow wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

Can he pitch?

I guess if you run under the assumption there was no other way to dump Donaldson, sure.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7404

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2488
Post on old board: 7833

CollegeHockeyAddict wrote:
https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1506642504443207692br >

Now that it’s not just the occasional treat, hopefully he doesn’t become the modern version of Bob “Fat” Fothergill. Mr. Green

Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 241
Post on old board: 8761

Iceburg wrote:

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1506642504443207692br >

Now that it’s not just the occasional treat, hopefully he doesn’t become the modern version of Bob “Fat” Fothergill. Mr. Green

I just hope his work ethic is half as good as Astudillo’s.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

It was only a matter of time before somebody brought up Astudillo.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

[media] https://twitter.com/PioneerPress/status/1506775704654028805?s=20&t=doUqsYzx3meTEJWqptQmmQ [/media]

Not hard to read this as "Going to MN because I can put up numbers there and then get a big market team to give me $300 million"

Bar down
(@bar-down)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 23

Twins sign Correa to sell tickets. Which is working as ticket sales have skyrocketed since the signing.

Truth is that the Twins pitching is a dumpster fire.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Chill Kessel wrote:

[media] https://twitter.com/PioneerPress/status/1506775704654028805?s=20&t=doUqsYzx3meTEJWqptQmmQ [/media]

Not hard to read this as "Going to MN because I can put up numbers there and then get a big market team to give me $300 million"

Gaad, that would suck…

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Its obviously what is happening but i'd like to dream the the jucy lucy's keep him here

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Chill Kessel wrote:

The problem with that logic is his past success came against Twins pitchers. He doesn't get to hit against them anymore.

There's also this

https://twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1506723994996719621?s=20&t=dIe0Ah04Ut-vYpu7nrf3Ow

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

If he was sold on the wonderful organization he wouldn't have insisted on the opt outs. I've got twins colored glasses on and I won't pretend his plan is to be a long term Twin.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12447
Post on old board: 9626

This is the baseball version of Taylor Hall signing his deal with Buffalo for a year until the market improves. I'm ok with it.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Chill Kessel wrote:

If he was sold on the wonderful organization he wouldn't have insisted on the opt outs. I've got twins colored glasses on and I won't pretend his plan is to be a long term Twin.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. If it is, great. He's a top 10-20 player in the league and obviously a gigantic boost offensively and defensively.

If not, at least him being in the lineup this year gives Royce Lewis a chance to play baseball for the first time in two years without having to jump right to the show, and/or gives Austin Martin another year to develop. It's literally a win-win for the Twins.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

I agree. Thats exactly what it is

Thirty-Four
(@thirty-four)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 182
Post on old board: 7524

Hey, they coughed up some of our money. That’s a win at this point. I’ll love watching him play.?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Chris83 wrote:

Beauner wrote:

Chill Kessel wrote:

The problem with that logic is his past success came against Twins pitchers. He doesn't get to hit against them anymore.

There's also this

https://twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1506723994996719621?s=20&t=dIe0Ah04Ut-vYpu7nrf3Owbr >

Well, I would say that the organizational skill level on pitching is really, really well hidden. LoL

Young doesn't mean hidden ;)

7 of the top 10 prospects in the organization are pitchers (one of them pitched exceptionally well in the majors already, Joe Ryan). The rest are in AA or AAA and would likely have made their debut in 2021 if COVID hadn't shut down minor league ball in 2020.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Here is one of the guys the Twins picked up this off season.

https://twitter.com/TaoofStieb/status/1508187417345417223

CRS
 CRS
(@crs)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 196

They really need to get one of the A's pitchers (or both!) to really show they are willing to be competitive. Correa will help with the infield defense. As seen by his play yesterday.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/TaoofStieb/status/1508187417345417223br >

"Picked up" on a minor league contract. For a reason, it seems ;)

IIRC a couple years ago he just flat out missed catching a fly ball he was camped under and it hit him square in the face. With Toronto maybe?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Beauner wrote:

https://twitter.com/TaoofStieb/status/1508187417345417223br >

"Picked up" on a minor league contract. For a reason, it seems ;)

IIRC a couple years ago he just flat out missed catching a fly ball he was camped under and it hit him square in the face. With Toronto maybe?

Keep your eye on the ball but don't try to catch the ball with your eye. :)

https://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=2213

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Yup that's the one lol

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12447
Post on old board: 9626

[media] https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1508587726437761027 [/media]

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

If the Twins can keep him healthy he's a solid fit. He's far from the borderline Cy Young talent he was 6-ish years ago but he's been decimated by injuries for the last 2 years (made 5 starts last season, 0 starts in 2020, only like 23 in 2019).

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1508583851437674499?s=20&t=O9_OfJnP-bSmqA-paT3m_w

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Unsurprisingly, Derek Fisher did not make it through to the MLB roster.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Promising development if this holds up and he stays healthy

https://twitter.com/TFTwins/status/1509956288763072527?s=20&t=yHTDlAlnW4oxxknzednWHg

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Jhoan Duran, one of the Twins top pitching prospects, made the team out of spring training.

His stuff has been absolutely devastating all spring training. 100mph fastball, 95+mph splitter/sinkers (dubbed "splinker), and a really good slider.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Beauner wrote:

Jhoan Duran, one of the Twins top pitching prospects, made the team out of spring training.

His stuff has been absolutely devastating all spring training. 100mph fastball, 95+mph splitter/sinkers (dubbed "splinker), and a really good slider.

Hopefully he is a pitcher for the Twins longer than Graterol was.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Kepler freaking flattened him. Yikes.

Twins have said he suffered a "head contusion" but cleared concussion testing. Will continue to monitor him for any symptoms, but given the impact of that collision that's basically the best case scenario.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

gopherguy13
(@gopherguy13)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 943
Post on old board: 20929

Why do the twins not start every year with like a 2 week road trip?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

That is what we were told would happen when they announced the stadium was going to be open air.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6915
Post on old board: 18942

Bertogliat wrote:

That is what we were told would happen when they announced the stadium was going to be open air.

Maybe so but I don't think their postponed days are that outrageous. I couldn't find much data out there, but a mid-April SI article had the following tally at the time - I limited the list for the home team only in mostly similar climes:

Cubs: 4 games

Indians: 2 games

Royals: 2 games

Twins: 4 game

Reds: 2 games

Even the Yankmees and Mets had 1 home game each called for snow.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

The Yankees also postponed their home opener to Friday this week.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 10695

The fans and players hate the weather, but the southern teams don't want to front-load their home games at the beginning of the season when people aren't really paying attention.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Sucks to watch baseball outside when it’s 45 degrees.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Slap Shot wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

Maybe so but I don't think their postponed days are that outrageous. I couldn't find much data out there, but a mid-April SI article had the following tally at the time - I limited the list for the home team only in mostly similar climes:

Cubs: 4 games

Indians: 2 games

Royals: 2 games

Twins: 4 game

Reds: 2 games

Even the Yankmees and Mets had 1 home game each called for snow.

I am not worried about postponing. Nobody wants baseball in 45 degree weather, unless it’s October.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Steve MN wrote:

The fans and players hate the weather, but the southern teams don't want to front-load their home games at the beginning of the season when people aren't really paying attention.

Then schedule the southern teams to play on the road in cold weather cities in early April so they can deal with it too.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3909
Post on old board: 9428

They build an extra day into the Opening weekend for weather like this. I don’t get all the gnashing of teeth. It’s basically 50/50 chance the weather may suck in early April in the North.

gopherguy13
(@gopherguy13)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 943
Post on old board: 20929

Bigbeer wrote:

They build an extra day into the Opening weekend for weather like this. I don’t get all the gnashing of teeth. It’s basically 50/50 chance the weather may suck in early April in the North.

But once you hit April, with each passing week, the odds of crappy weather go down right? I just don't see why they wouldn't want to start the northern teams (basically what, third of the league?) on a couple week road trip. The warmer two thirds of the league would probably only need to move a couple home series out of the summer and into the spring. I feel like baseball fans in Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc would be OK moving a couple of those ungodly hot July series into April.

Like [mention]Bertogliat[/mention] said, it's not so much about postponements, it's just that it absolutely sucks having to bundle up to watch a baseball game LoL and I gotta imagine the players hate it, too.

Page 2 / 17