Portal Forum General General Discussion Things That Stick In Your Craw

  • This topic has 1,000 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated May 19 at 9:35pm by davescharfdavescharf.
Viewing 75 posts - 76 through 150 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #137369 Quote
    MNNavyMNNavy
    • Posts: 460
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Kelly Red wrote:


    MNNavy wrote:


    Frontier Communications is installing fiber optic in our neighborhood. This morning, the crew put in junction boxes. My wife and I look outside at about noon, and there’s a box – about 18″ tall by 9″ wide, practically in the MIDDLE of our front yard (WTF?). We call Frontier and question why the box wasn’t placed in the same general proximity as the other three junction/maintenance boxes 15′ from where they placed this one, and got some b.s. response about their specs calling for placing it between the property lines (I guess they nailed that one).

    After we got off the phone with them, I noticed their crew was back out there, digging up our yard – AGAIN – to move the box. So now, we’ve got two areas where they’ve dug up our yard, because their surveyor couldn’t be bothered to take the time to talk to us and discuss where the box should be placed.

    OMG, I’d be :censored: furious!


    Trust me, my wife was.

    #137370 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1402
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    MNNavy wrote:


    Frontier Communications is installing fiber optic in our neighborhood. This morning, the crew put in junction boxes. My wife and I look outside at about noon, and there’s a box – about 18″ tall by 9″ wide, practically in the MIDDLE of our front yard (WTF?). We call Frontier and question why the box wasn’t placed in the same general proximity as the other three junction/maintenance boxes 15′ from where they placed this one, and got some b.s. response about their specs calling for placing it between the property lines (I guess they nailed that one).

    After we got off the phone with them, I noticed their crew was back out there, digging up our yard – AGAIN – to move the box. So now, we’ve got two areas where they’ve dug up our yard, because their surveyor couldn’t be bothered to take the time to talk to us and discuss where the box should be placed.

    They shouldn’t have to discuss it with you to know the middle of the front yard is not where you’d like it.

    #137371 Quote
    BladepullerBladepuller
    • Posts: 741
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Frontier is an apt name for them. It is like dealing with Daniel Boone era technology.

    #137372 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1420
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bertogliat wrote:


    MNNavy wrote:


    Frontier Communications is installing fiber optic in our neighborhood. This morning, the crew put in junction boxes. My wife and I look outside at about noon, and there’s a box – about 18″ tall by 9″ wide, practically in the MIDDLE of our front yard (WTF?). We call Frontier and question why the box wasn’t placed in the same general proximity as the other three junction/maintenance boxes 15′ from where they placed this one, and got some b.s. response about their specs calling for placing it between the property lines (I guess they nailed that one).

    After we got off the phone with them, I noticed their crew was back out there, digging up our yard – AGAIN – to move the box. So now, we’ve got two areas where they’ve dug up our yard, because their surveyor couldn’t be bothered to take the time to talk to us and discuss where the box should be placed.

    They shouldn’t have to discuss it with you to know the middle of the front yard is not where you’d like it.

    Exactly – it’s not really rocket science to figure out where every other customer’s junction boxes generally reside in relation to the property

    #137373 Quote
    JupiterJupiter
    Admin
    • Posts: 791
    • Bringer of JollityOwner/Creator of Gopher Puck Live
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    MNNavy wrote:


    Frontier Communications is installing fiber optic in our neighborhood. This morning, the crew put in junction boxes. My wife and I look outside at about noon, and there’s a box – about 18″ tall by 9″ wide, practically in the MIDDLE of our front yard (WTF?). We call Frontier and question why the box wasn’t placed in the same general proximity as the other three junction/maintenance boxes 15′ from where they placed this one, and got some b.s. response about their specs calling for placing it between the property lines (I guess they nailed that one).

    After we got off the phone with them, I noticed their crew was back out there, digging up our yard – AGAIN – to move the box. So now, we’ve got two areas where they’ve dug up our yard, because their surveyor couldn’t be bothered to take the time to talk to us and discuss where the box should be placed.


    Strange…. My Fiber “box” from Jaguar Communications is just off the street and is in the ground with a 1ft black plastic cover at ground level. Pop it off and there is a 2ft deep hole in the ground and you can see a splice off the main fiber optic line that goes underground to my house. So nothing that sticks up line underground phone boxes or anything like that.

    #137374 Quote
    OrionOrion
    • Posts: 194
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #137375 Quote
    BigbeerBigbeer
    • Posts: 1002
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Jupiter wrote:


    MNNavy wrote:


    Frontier Communications is installing fiber optic in our neighborhood. This morning, the crew put in junction boxes. My wife and I look outside at about noon, and there’s a box – about 18″ tall by 9″ wide, practically in the MIDDLE of our front yard (WTF?). We call Frontier and question why the box wasn’t placed in the same general proximity as the other three junction/maintenance boxes 15′ from where they placed this one, and got some b.s. response about their specs calling for placing it between the property lines (I guess they nailed that one).

    After we got off the phone with them, I noticed their crew was back out there, digging up our yard – AGAIN – to move the box. So now, we’ve got two areas where they’ve dug up our yard, because their surveyor couldn’t be bothered to take the time to talk to us and discuss where the box should be placed.


    Strange…. My Fiber “box” from Jaguar Communications is just off the street and is in the ground with a 1ft black plastic cover at ground level. Pop it off and there is a 2ft deep hole in the ground and you can see a splice off the main fiber optic line that goes underground to my house. So nothing that sticks up line underground phone boxes or anything like that.


    Mine too. That said, they tore our yard up in 3 different places having about 10’ round spot where the grass is gone and half assed fixed it. I had to go back with seed multiple times. It looked like crap for most of the summer and I can still see the spots. There were other houses in our neighborhood that had no spots in their grass messed up.

    I do love having fiber internet tho.

    #137376 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2783
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Kelly Red wrote:


    Beauner wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    Snowcool08 wrote:


    When the smoke alarm in your bedroom decides that 2am is the perfect time to alert you that it’s battery is low.

    That’s the worst! I had one go off for no apparent reason once that woke me out of a dead sleep. I’ve never jumped out of bed or had my heart pounding so fast!

    We once had our alarm system screaming in the middle of the night. I was expecting to be attacked. Read that as crapping my pants. I could not figure out the alarm code on the display. Turned out to be a low battery due to a blown fuse.

    Nothing like having to walk down the stairs at 3 am wondering in a burglar is going to try to kill you.

    The only good news is the alarm is on the same circuit as our chest freezer so I guess I don’t have to worry about losing a bunch of expensive meat…. :lol:

    I’ve always wondered what I would do if my home security alarm went off in the middle of the night as that would be utterly terrifying. Grab for the softball bat next to my bed, then hope my cell phone is on.

    Have a boot knife under my mattress, and a Lousiville slugger next to my bedroom door. I am a sound sleeper, unless something like that happens. Storms, fire, whatever, I will sleep through. My door opening? WIDE AWAKE.

    I currently have like… 5 softball bats within arm’s reach of my bed and another 20ish in my closet a few feet from the foot of my bed 🤣 the trouble would be picking which one. Does a balanced bat provide better control or do I want a heavy endloaded one to really pack a punch? 🤣


    And here’s a general tip, if you have a bat, a 9-iron or your foot; don’t bother aiming for the head, go for the knee! Much easier target. Then once they’re down, aim higher :good2:

    I learned this in a self defense class. Hitting someone in the head is difficult, they’re moving around and can see the swing. Aiming for the knee is an easier hit and disables the attack. The other thing that was drummed into us, don’t hesitate.

    What a bizarre turn of conversation!

    Torso. Wherever the torso goes, the body goes, and it’s the most mass target on anyone. Up the middle for a hit! Then work the knees. Head shot could get an “intent to kill” or something.

    #137377 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1521
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bladepuller wrote:


    Frontier is an apt name for them. It is like dealing with Daniel Boone era technology.

    I am not a fan of frontier. Had a terrible experience with their service, they were completely incompetent when dealing with them by phone and had some shady unethical practices. Placing boxes in the middle of a yard sounds like something they would do. Never use frontier. Unless it’s your only option.

    #137378 Quote
    BladepullerBladepuller
    • Posts: 741
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    [mention]Cowgirl[/mention] that’s the problem. In parts of the state it is your only option for “wire”service for phone & :cry: dial up internet. I.E. East Bethel has a small section in the far NE corner of the city where no cable & Frontier owns the wire in the ground. The adjoining are of southern Isanti Co. would be the same.

    We used to have Frontier as our phone service at the cabin on the south end of ML but now we use a cable service, SCI, out of Hinkley for internet (5G BTW) and CCTV with free landline.

    #137379 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1807
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Finding out one of my managers has been having an affair (he’s married) with one of his subordinates. :censored: :chainsaw:

    #137380 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 577
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    Finding out one of my managers has been having an affair (he’s married) with one of his subordinates. :censored: :chainsaw:


    Major, Misconduct and Ejection penalties all apply here.

    #137381 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1565
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Kelly Red wrote:


    Beauner wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:

    That’s the worst! I had one go off for no apparent reason once that woke me out of a dead sleep. I’ve never jumped out of bed or had my heart pounding so fast!

    We once had our alarm system screaming in the middle of the night. I was expecting to be attacked. Read that as crapping my pants. I could not figure out the alarm code on the display. Turned out to be a low battery due to a blown fuse.

    Nothing like having to walk down the stairs at 3 am wondering in a burglar is going to try to kill you.

    The only good news is the alarm is on the same circuit as our chest freezer so I guess I don’t have to worry about losing a bunch of expensive meat…. :lol:

    I’ve always wondered what I would do if my home security alarm went off in the middle of the night as that would be utterly terrifying. Grab for the softball bat next to my bed, then hope my cell phone is on.

    Have a boot knife under my mattress, and a Lousiville slugger next to my bedroom door. I am a sound sleeper, unless something like that happens. Storms, fire, whatever, I will sleep through. My door opening? WIDE AWAKE.

    I currently have like… 5 softball bats within arm’s reach of my bed and another 20ish in my closet a few feet from the foot of my bed 🤣 the trouble would be picking which one. Does a balanced bat provide better control or do I want a heavy endloaded one to really pack a punch? 🤣


    And here’s a general tip, if you have a bat, a 9-iron or your foot; don’t bother aiming for the head, go for the knee! Much easier target. Then once they’re down, aim higher :good2:

    I learned this in a self defense class. Hitting someone in the head is difficult, they’re moving around and can see the swing. Aiming for the knee is an easier hit and disables the attack. The other thing that was drummed into us, don’t hesitate.

    What a bizarre turn of conversation!

    Torso. Wherever the torso goes, the body goes, and it’s the most mass target on anyone. Up the middle for a hit! Then work the knees. Head shot could get an “intent to kill” or something.

    I was a volunteer police reserve which means we wore uniforms but no guns. We did have a collapsible baton though. In training they taught us to go for the knees with the baton.

    Regarding the smoke alarms chirping at night, there is a reason for that (from the Kidde website):

    As a smoke alarm’s battery nears the end of its life, the amount of power it produces causes an internal resistance. A drop in room temperature increases this resistance, which may impact the battery’s ability to deliver the power necessary to operate the unit in an alarm situation.

    This battery characteristic can cause a smoke alarm to enter the low battery chirp mode when air temperatures drop. Most homes are the coolest between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. That’s why the alarm may sound a low-battery chirp in the middle of the night, and then stop when the home warms up a few degrees.

    #137382 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1420
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    Finding out one of my managers has been having an affair (he’s married) with one of his subordinates. :censored: :chainsaw:

    No offense but I’m glad you get to deal with that personnel issue rather than me having to.

    #137383 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1807
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    Finding out one of my managers has been having an affair (he’s married) with one of his subordinates. :censored: :chainsaw:

    No offense but I’m glad you get to deal with that personnel issue rather than me having to.

    He came and told me himself ahead of me likely finding it out otherwise. It probably kept me from doing very bad things.

    https://media.giphy.com/media/RZvbEQbuE0gWQ/giphy.gif" />

    #137384 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 587
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    We get our neighbors mail or a package delivered to our house at least once a week, sometimes twice. Not the same neighbor, just the same block. This is pure sloppiness. If I’m getting their mail that often, how many times does my mail go to the wrong address? Last week the mailman delivered a bound bundle of magazines, ONE was mine. There were 8 other magazines for 5 different address, all within a 2 block area. Today I find my neighbors Amazon box on my front step. :chainsaw:

    #137385 Quote
    NormNorm
    • Posts: 524
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Everybody I know in my age group entered the shot lottery last night. I had a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting a shot.

    #137386 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 577
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Norm wrote:


    Everybody I know in my age group entered the shot lottery last night. I had a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting a shot.


    I think you may be right about those odds…so far the rollout hasn’t gone especially well. A week ago Tuesday I was on hold for AN HOUR, with no success. Finally gave up out of frustration. Am now signed up online and waiting for my name to be called. Wife too. :anger:

    #137387 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1402
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    D2D wrote:


    Norm wrote:


    Everybody I know in my age group entered the shot lottery last night. I had a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting a shot.


    I think you may be right about those odds…so far the rollout hasn’t gone especially well. A week ago Tuesday I was on hold for AN HOUR, with no success. Finally gave up out of frustration. Am now signed up online and waiting for my name to be called. Wife too. :anger:

    Take comfort that you’re further along than the rest of us.

    #137388 Quote
    KarlssonKarlsson
    • Posts: 1265
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Yeah. My parents put themselves on the list but weren’t chosen either. The wife’s boss was, though.

    #137389 Quote
    gopherguy06gopherguy06
    • Posts: 460
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The waitlist is much better than the first thing which crash the phones/website.

    #137390 Quote
    g-manpuckg-manpuck
    • Posts: 410
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The owners of the company I work for both got in the first round here in Mankato and had no issues scheduling their shots through the website. My daughter had hers scheduled by her employer with no issues with the website either. My wife who works for Headstart is having more issues though it’s more linked to the area that they cover, nine counties in Southern Minnesota, more than the website/phone issues.

    #137391 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1521
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Are they saving/guaranteeing second timely doses for the folks who get picked in the lottery?

    #137392 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 587
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cowgirl wrote:


    Are they saving/guaranteeing second timely doses for the folks who get picked in the lottery?

    Yes. As I understand it both appointments will be made if you are selected. I just spoke to my neighbor who did get picked today. She has both doses scheduled, first one next Monday.

    #137393 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 577
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Well surprise surprise, I received an email from my health care provider (North Memorial) which directed me to their site to schedule an appt. for the first shot. Will get it on Monday at their Minnetonka clinic, at which time they will schedule me for the second shot roughly three weeks later. Totally unexpected but I’m glad it’ll be taken care of.

    #137394 Quote
    BladepullerBladepuller
    • Posts: 741
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Got on the waiting list very easy Tues AM. Both Mrs B & I were on the site on our cell phones. When we went to compare our ID #s they were the same so i assume that they used our address to link us ,

    No e-mail today

    #137395 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1565
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Not so much something sticking in my craw but I have to tell you about my day at the dentist yesterday.

    I had to get a crown replaced so I went in yesterday at 1:00 to get it done. I sat down in the chair and the hygienist/dental assistant introduces herself and says that today is her first day (not what you want to hear). Fortunately she did a great job but I could tell the dentist had to do quite a bit of coaching along the way.

    I was listening to a podcast while they were doing the work. I was attempting to turn up the volume with out looking at my phone. All of a sudden I hear the phone dialing someone and they answer “9-1-1-…what is your emergency?” Somehow I accidentally pressed the Emergency Call button and called 911. I quickly hung up. Sure enough my phone rang again shortly after which I assume was them calling back to check on me. Fortunately this was towards the end of the procedure. When I got out to the car I immediately called 911 back. I let them know that it was a 100% mistake and apologized that I had a mouthful of dental tools and was not able to answer their callback. They said it wasn’t a problem but wanted to confirm that my dentist office was located near the intersection of X & Y. I confirmed that it was. They had apparently tracked my cellphone to that area and had an officer patrolling the area. Sure enough I saw their cruiser as I was driving home.

    Anyway, it was quite a day. :)

    #137396 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 577
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Great story! As the saying goes, “You can’t make this sh_t up”. :wink:

    #137397 Quote
    gopher6gopher6
    • Posts: 446
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I am a member of Lifetime before the last lock down we could enter the buildings wearing a mask but when working out we did not need to wear a mask. Now we have to wear a mask at all times. It is so gross working out wearing a hot sweaty mask 😡

    #137398 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 577
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Where I go you are also supposed to wear a mask at all times but during the week in the early-mid afternoon (when I go) there is rarely more than two or three other people there. And sometimes I’m all by myself! So most pull their mask down to their chin, or ignore the rule all together.

    #137399 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1420
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gopher6 wrote:


    I am a member of Lifetime before the last lock down we could enter the buildings wearing a mask but when working out we did not need to wear a mask. Now we have to wear a mask at all times. It is so gross working out wearing a hot sweaty mask 😡

    The first week of my son’s swimming lessons I had to wear a mask in the pool. A toddler splashing around and jumping in the pool means you won’t stay dry and after 30 minutes I couldn’t wait to get it off because it was tough to breathe in a wet mask. I can only imagine what waterboarding someone could be like based on the sensation that gave me

    Right after that class I bought one of the pool’s full face shields to wear instead. It was the best $5 I’ve spent in a long time.

    #137400 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1402
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gopher6 wrote:


    I am a member of Lifetime before the last lock down we could enter the buildings wearing a mask but when working out we did not need to wear a mask. Now we have to wear a mask at all times. It is so gross working out wearing a hot sweaty mask 😡

    You’ll have to go with a set up 10 facemasks and swap them out as you progress. Sort of like a jockey that wears a bunch of goggles and flings a pair off when they mud over. :lol:

    #137401 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1521
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gopher6 wrote:


    I am a member of Lifetime before the last lock down we could enter the buildings wearing a mask but when working out we did not need to wear a mask. Now we have to wear a mask at all times. It is so gross working out wearing a hot sweaty mask 😡

    You could not go to lifetime. Lots of ways to work out at home or outside. You have to decide how big of a priority it is and what you are willing to sacrifice to go to a gym.

    We get it. You hate masks.

    Believe me, NOBODY likes them and it sucks to play hockey, work, shop in a mask. But if it gets us through this mess faster I’m willing to do it. Complaining about it every day isn’t going to solve the problem.

    #137402 Quote
    g-manpuckg-manpuck
    • Posts: 410
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I workout at the Y 4-5 mornings a week with a mask. My wife found some neck gaiters on Amazon that aren’t too terrible to wear and I can comfortably breathe. I have found that my limit is about 30-35 minutes though. I get four to five good lifts in and then I’m out, I’ve cut my sets down from five to three so that I can get as many different lifts in during my time.

    One thing I won’t complain about at all is the capacity limit at the Y. I don’t miss the January rush of “New Year’s Resolutions”. Though I dearly miss the steam sauna after a good workout.

    #137403 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2783
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Rule at my company is if you’re the only one in the building (which I am for half the day): no mask. But mask up otherwise. Fine. Not a huge bother.

    As for the 911 call, if you can speak, say you made a mistake. Our building, you have to dial 9, AND dial the 1 for the area code, which leads to a 911 call once or twice a year. I’ve done it, oops. Stayed on, explained the situation, and they appreciated that. Saves them the trouble of a callback/etc.

    #137404 Quote
    gopherguy06gopherguy06
    • Posts: 460
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    gopher6 wrote:


    I am a member of Lifetime before the last lock down we could enter the buildings wearing a mask but when working out we did not need to wear a mask. Now we have to wear a mask at all times. It is so gross working out wearing a hot sweaty mask 😡

    The first week of my son’s swimming lessons I had to wear a mask in the pool. A toddler splashing around and jumping in the pool means you won’t stay dry and after 30 minutes I couldn’t wait to get it off because it was tough to breathe in a wet mask. I can only imagine what waterboarding someone could be like based on the sensation that gave me

    Right after that class I bought one of the pool’s full face shields to wear instead. It was the best $5 I’ve spent in a long time.

    Foss had us do that and the wet mask was terrible. Plus, adding getting in and out of the pool, we opted out of the winter session.

    #137405 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1521
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    A friend sent me a link to this spacer type of product that might help with the wet mask issue:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL8VXN9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_fabc_ZKTEHTZ31ZNQMA74SWJ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    #137406 Quote
    GreyeagleGreyeagle
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1711
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cowgirl wrote:


    A friend sent me a link to this spacer type of product that might help with the wet mask issue:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL8VXN9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_fabc_ZKTEHTZ31ZNQMA74SWJ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of when I saw this was Navin R. Johnson? :mrgreen:

    #137407 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1807
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Greyeagle wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    A friend sent me a link to this spacer type of product that might help with the wet mask issue:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL8VXN9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_fabc_ZKTEHTZ31ZNQMA74SWJ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of when I saw this was Navin R. Johnson? :mrgreen:

    He hates these cans! Get away from the cans!

    #137408 Quote
    g-manpuckg-manpuck
    • Posts: 410
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    My wife bought some of those last summer, tried it…didn’t like it. I found that I had to situate that along with my mask more often. Just my experience with them.

    #137409 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 587
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cowgirl wrote:


    A friend sent me a link to this spacer type of product that might help with the wet mask issue:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL8VXN9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_fabc_ZKTEHTZ31ZNQMA74SWJ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    A friend gave me one of these a couple of months ago. They work!! The mask is held just far enough away so the fabric doesn’t suck into your mouth. Breathing is easier, not sure about a wet mask, but a regular dry one is easier. It’s easier to talk too without the fabric getting caught. PLUS the added bonus, my glasses no longer fog up :dup: Thats the real winning aspect.

    #137410 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 587
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    g-manpuck wrote:


    My wife bought some of those last summer, tried it…didn’t like it. I found that I had to situate that along with my mask more often. Just my experience with them.


    Then your mask is too loose. If it’s moving around your mask needs to fit closer to your face. This is a very common issue, not every mask fits every face. Faces are wide, thin, narrow jaw, big nose, etc. You need to find a type and size that fits. If it’s moving, it’s too big. If it slips down off your nose when you talk it’s too short. Try another brand or style.

    #137411 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1420
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gopherguy06 wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    gopher6 wrote:


    I am a member of Lifetime before the last lock down we could enter the buildings wearing a mask but when working out we did not need to wear a mask. Now we have to wear a mask at all times. It is so gross working out wearing a hot sweaty mask 😡

    The first week of my son’s swimming lessons I had to wear a mask in the pool. A toddler splashing around and jumping in the pool means you won’t stay dry and after 30 minutes I couldn’t wait to get it off because it was tough to breathe in a wet mask. I can only imagine what waterboarding someone could be like based on the sensation that gave me

    Right after that class I bought one of the pool’s full face shields to wear instead. It was the best $5 I’ve spent in a long time.

    Foss had us do that and the wet mask was terrible. Plus, adding getting in and out of the pool, we opted out of the winter session.

    The shield works really well for us.

    #137412 Quote
    ComposerComposer
    • Posts: 231
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    They sell 20 at a time. Do they not last long?

    #137413 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 587
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Composer wrote:


    They sell 20 at a time. Do they not last long?

    I have three that have lasted several months now and still work fine. You can wash them with soap and water. Mine are quite sturdy, soft and slightly flexible, but not thin. I got three in a box, unfortunately I no longer have the box or I’d give you a brand.

    #137414 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2783
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I have a couple Back Channel brewery masks, they have worked well. I have a couple to keep the rotation going. $15/per, and helping a local business.

    #137415 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1565
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The NBA is by far my least favorite sports league. Regardless, I think it is insane that they want to have an All-Star game in March. There shouldn’t be one this season. They can certainly name an all-star team and reserves but there should not be a game.

    #137416 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1402
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    My son was playing in his squirt district tournament game last night. In the third period of a fairly close game our team has a 2 on 1 break. As they cross the blue line a parent from the other team whistles very loudly to mimic a referee whistling off sides.

    A parent tried to affect a game by faking a 10 year old into believing he was off sides. How fuuking pathetic is this guy?

    Thankfully the kid did not stop skating and they did score on the play.

    #137417 Quote
    trixR4kidstrixR4kids
    • Posts: 480
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bertogliat wrote:


    My son was playing in his squirt district tournament game last night. In the third period of a fairly close game our team has a 2 on 1 break. As they cross the blue line a parent from the other team whistles very loudly to mimic a referee whistling off sides.

    A parent tried to affect a game by faking a 10 year old into believing he was off sides. How fuuking pathetic is this guy?

    Thankfully the kid did not stop skating and they did score on the play.

    :crazy: what a weirdo

    #137418 Quote
    MNGophers29MNGophers29
    • Posts: 694
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bertogliat wrote:


    My son was playing in his squirt district tournament game last night. In the third period of a fairly close game our team has a 2 on 1 break. As they cross the blue line a parent from the other team whistles very loudly to mimic a referee whistling off sides.

    A parent tried to affect a game by faking a 10 year old into believing he was off sides. How fuuking pathetic is this guy?

    Thankfully the kid did not stop skating and they did score on the play.


    Did the refs do anything? Should have, at a very minimum, a warning to that team’s bench, provided it was obviously where it came from.

    This year was the most appealed I have been with youth hockey parents. Maybe it’s because I have been on the bench every year until now, but some towns have great parents and others….well they are awful. My 12 year old son (ref) got the finger from a parent during a girls game. White Bear Lake PWAA have some grizzly guy in the stands that would make my truck driving Dad blush. Bismarck has some of the worst parents, coaches and players bitching about every single call/non-call.

    It’s just really sickening to listen to and know the kids probably act the same way.

    #137419 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1402
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The worst I’ve experienced were parents of a team from Chicago last year that were screaming at our players.

    It was a tourney at the Super Rink last year that served alcohol. The Chicago parents didn’t hold back. It was strange to see kids staring into the stands during breaks in the game so THEY could see what all the commotion was.

    #137420 Quote
    SiouxBucky HaterSiouxBucky Hater
    • Posts: 58
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    People who don’t clean up after their dog don’t deserve to own a dog. I understand sometimes you forget a bag or whatever. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about the large dog that was allowed to drop 3 piles in my yard within 10 days of each other. I’m talking about the walking path that I use often being littered with excrement. Seriously littered. Like, don’t walk on the path in the dark or you will regret it. My dog has dropped near the path before. If I didn’t pick it up, I at least found a stick to push it into the woods. I also have seen what I can only guess are bags that someone has used to clean up thrown into those woods or dropped near that path. Come on people!

    #137421 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2783
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    MNGophers29 wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    My son was playing in his squirt district tournament game last night. In the third period of a fairly close game our team has a 2 on 1 break. As they cross the blue line a parent from the other team whistles very loudly to mimic a referee whistling off sides.

    A parent tried to affect a game by faking a 10 year old into believing he was off sides. How fuuking pathetic is this guy?

    Thankfully the kid did not stop skating and they did score on the play.


    Did the refs do anything? Should have, at a very minimum, a warning to that team’s bench, provided it was obviously where it came from.

    This year was the most appealed I have been with youth hockey parents. Maybe it’s because I have been on the bench every year until now, but some towns have great parents and others….well they are awful. My 12 year old son (ref) got the finger from a parent during a girls game. White Bear Lake PWAA have some grizzly guy in the stands that would make my truck driving Dad blush. Bismarck has some of the worst parents, coaches and players bitching about every single call/non-call.

    It’s just really sickening to listen to and know the kids probably act the same way.

    I have to admit, I’ve gotten a parent thrown out of a Little League game that I was in, as a player. Obviously, this was YEARS ago. He was the modern day sports parent; totally relentless at the heckling of the players. DUDE, we’re about 10-11 years old! JFC.

    #137422 Quote
    skiier32skiier32
    • Posts: 78
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    MNGophers29 wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    My son was playing in his squirt district tournament game last night. In the third period of a fairly close game our team has a 2 on 1 break. As they cross the blue line a parent from the other team whistles very loudly to mimic a referee whistling off sides.

    A parent tried to affect a game by faking a 10 year old into believing he was off sides. How fuuking pathetic is this guy?

    Thankfully the kid did not stop skating and they did score on the play.


    Did the refs do anything? Should have, at a very minimum, a warning to that team’s bench, provided it was obviously where it came from.

    This year was the most appealed I have been with youth hockey parents. Maybe it’s because I have been on the bench every year until now, but some towns have great parents and others….well they are awful. My 12 year old son (ref) got the finger from a parent during a girls game. White Bear Lake PWAA have some grizzly guy in the stands that would make my truck driving Dad blush. Bismarck has some of the worst parents, coaches and players bitching about every single call/non-call.

    It’s just really sickening to listen to and know the kids probably act the same way.

    I have to admit, I’ve gotten a parent thrown out of a Little League game that I was in, as a player. Obviously, this was YEARS ago. He was the modern day sports parent; totally relentless at the heckling of the players. DUDE, we’re about 10-11 years old! JFC.


    This is my first year reffing and when it’s all done I will have reffed about 130 games. That being said, I am pretty deaf to what comes from the stands, but I do remember a few games. One was in Edina with Minnetonka Squirt A vs Woodbury Squirt A. The Woodbury parents and head coach would yell ever time one of their players lost the puck that that was a penalty. Umm no it was not. Little Johny got stick checked or lost control of the puck. And to top it off they were winning by 6 goals and still yelling. The other game was a U10B2 game, yes U10B2. I honestly felt bad for the players as the head coach was constantly yelling at them. I was appalled. I actually asked one of the other coaches if this was normal and he said yes. It’s a game with humans playing and reffing and coaching. We are not perfect, but we do our best.

    #137423 Quote
    KarlssonKarlsson
    • Posts: 1265
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I’m swatting mosquitoes. Too soon.

    #137424 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 577
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    And with our mild winter those darned Japanese Beatles are going to feast on what remains of our shrubs in back. :chainsaw:

    #137425 Quote
    MNGophers29MNGophers29
    • Posts: 694
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Found 3 tickets in my dog’s head on the way back from the lake this weekend. Northern MN….talk about to soon!

    #137426 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2783
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    MNGophers29 wrote:


    Found 3 tickets in my dog’s head on the way back from the lake this weekend. Northern MN….talk about to soon!

    For what game? :poke:

    #137427 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1521
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    MNGophers29 wrote:


    Found 3 tickets in my dog’s head on the way back from the lake this weekend. Northern MN….talk about to soon!

    I shaved my dog today and found a huge one on his leg. I completely forgot to order his tick collar early enough, hoping it arrives this week. All it takes is bare ground and about 40 degrees for those damn things to become active.

    #137428 Quote
    MNGophers29MNGophers29
    • Posts: 694
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    MNGophers29 wrote:


    Found 3 tickets in my dog’s head on the way back from the lake this weekend. Northern MN….talk about to soon!

    For what game? :poke:


    :goodpost:

    #137429 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1402
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    D2D wrote:


    And with our mild winter those darned Japanese Beatles are going to feast on what remains of our shrubs in back. :chainsaw:

    They make some really good Japanese Beetle traps. The first time I used them I was shocked at how many beetles I got. It’s helped my plants.

    #137430 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 577
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bertogliat wrote:


    D2D wrote:


    And with our mild winter those darned Japanese Beatles are going to feast on what remains of our shrubs in back. :chainsaw:

    They make some really good Japanese Beetle traps. The first time I used them I was shocked at how many beetles I got. It’s helped my plants.


    Thanks for the tip!

    #137431 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 2006
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Catching a skunk in a live trap and having to deal with it. :censored: And, no, I wasn’t trying to catch skunks. :D I have now caught raccoons, possums, cats, groundhogs and a skunk…

    #137432 Quote
    NormNorm
    • Posts: 524
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    frozen4champs wrote:


    Catching a skunk in a live trap and having to deal with it. :censored: And, no, I wasn’t trying to catch skunks. :D I have now caught raccoons, possums, cats, groundhogs and a skunk…

    I caught my first possum of the season yesterday. Last year I totaled 17 coon, 3 possum, 1 skunk.

    #137433 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 2006
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Norm wrote:


    frozen4champs wrote:


    Catching a skunk in a live trap and having to deal with it. :censored: And, no, I wasn’t trying to catch skunks. :D I have now caught raccoons, possums, cats, groundhogs and a skunk…

    I caught my first possum of the season yesterday. Last year I totaled 17 coon, 3 possum, 1 skunk.

    My neighbors tore out an old grove across the road last year, and now I have added all of those critters to my existing ones in my grove. My total last year was similiar to yours. I prefer to get the raccoons in the paw traps rather than the live traps, as they tend to try to destroy the live trap cages as you are will aware of I’m sure. I did a good enough job last year that the raccoons damage to my corn field near the trees last year was minimal.

    #137434 Quote
    BladepullerBladepuller
    • Posts: 741
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    It may be an old wives tale that a skunk can’t spray in a live trap unless it (trap) is a large enough to raise it’s tail.

    The non-PETA way of “dispatching” the critter is drowning. A ” guy I know” has a rope tied to all his live traps.

    Possums were NOT around even So MN when I was a kid. Now I have seen road killed ones in N. MN. 🤔

    #137435 Quote
    GreyeagleGreyeagle
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1711
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bladepuller wrote:


    Possums were NOT around even So MN when I was a kid. Now I have seen road killed ones in N. MN. 🤔

    Are you sure they aren’t just playing…….. ;)

    #137436 Quote
    BladepullerBladepuller
    • Posts: 741
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Greyeagle wrote:


    Bladepuller wrote:


    Possums were NOT around even So MN when I was a kid. Now I have seen road killed ones in N. MN. 🤔

    Are you sure they aren’t just playing…….. ;)

    Served that one up…. THWACK….GONE!

    #137437 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 2006
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bladepuller wrote:


    It may be an old wives tale that a skunk can’t spray in a live trap unless it (trap) is a large enough to raise it’s tail.

    The non-PETA way of “dispatching” the critter is drowning. A ” guy I know” has a rope tied to all his live traps.

    Possums were NOT around even So MN when I was a kid. Now I have seen road killed ones in N. MN. 🤔

    I can assure you that the tail was in the air…. It has now gone to the other side of the rainbow bridge.

    #137438 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1807
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Yew guys got yer britches on and coon hounds witcha win yer huntin?

    [hide] :mrgreen: [/hide]

    #137439 Quote
    NormNorm
    • Posts: 524
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    frozen4champs wrote:


    Norm wrote:


    frozen4champs wrote:


    Catching a skunk in a live trap and having to deal with it. :censored: And, no, I wasn’t trying to catch skunks. :D I have now caught raccoons, possums, cats, groundhogs and a skunk…

    I caught my first possum of the season yesterday. Last year I totaled 17 coon, 3 possum, 1 skunk.

    My neighbors tore out an old grove across the road last year, and now I have added all of those critters to my existing ones in my grove. My total last year was similiar to yours. I prefer to get the raccoons in the paw traps rather than the live traps, as they tend to try to destroy the live trap cages as you are will aware of I’m sure. I did a good enough job last year that the raccoons damage to my corn field near the trees last year was minimal.

    I don’t want to risk catching a cat in the foot trap. And like you I’ve had raccoons tear cage traps to shreds. I bought a new style of trap at Runnings. It’s a plastic box shaped like a cage trap. They don’t go in it quite as readily, but they stay caught and haven’t damaged it at all.

    #137440 Quote
    YoungEagleYoungEagle
    • Posts: 462
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Fans conducting NFL draft simulations and posting them online. Actually the whole NFL draft hoopla is lame. Might be one of the most boring things to watch on tv… plus you have to see/listen to Mel Kiper and John Clayton…

    #137441 Quote
    BladepullerBladepuller
    • Posts: 741
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    @[mention]YoungEagle[/mention]

    Is it just me or does Mel Kiper remind you of someone from an old gangster film?

    John Clayton is the doppelganger of my Jr High Sci. teacher.

    #137442 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1807
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bladepuller wrote:


    @@YoungEagle

    Is it just me or does Mel Kiper remind you of someone from an old gangster film?

    John Clayton is the doppelganger of my Jr High Sci. teacher.

    Clayton could play Mr. Mackey in real life South Park.

    #137443 Quote
    GreyeagleGreyeagle
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1711
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    [mention]Bladepuller[/mention]

Viewing 75 posts - 76 through 150 (of 1,001 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Portal Forum General General Discussion Things That Stick In Your Craw