Portal Forum General General Discussion Restaurants…

  • This topic has 643 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated Aug 7 at 11:13am by HandyNotDanHandyNotDan.
Viewing 75 posts - 76 through 150 (of 644 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #142868 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Got back to Kings in Miesville for the first time in ages. Their burger is still at or near the top echelon of burgers you’ll find the Twin Cities area

    #142869 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 497
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    Tomorrow is going to be a monster day for restaurant sales. Based on my difficulty in finding a Mother’s Day reservation.

    Please tell me you didn’t just start looking today? :lol:

    #142870 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 873
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Kelly Red wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Tomorrow is going to be a monster day for restaurant sales. Based on my difficulty in finding a Mother’s Day reservation.

    Please tell me you didn’t just start looking today? :lol:

    We had plans to go to MIL’s house but she’s not feeling well so had to make last minute reservations for my mom.

    #142871 Quote
    MNGophers29MNGophers29
    • Posts: 507
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I am smoking 3 pork butts tomorrow. My wife’s request. I think I picked a winner!

    #142872 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bobby & Steve’s Auto World in downtown Mpls. and Kwik Trips through out the metro are excellent places to get hot or cold deli food.

    Bobby & Steve’s:

    Baked chicken :good2:

    Grilled cheese :good2:

    Rib tips :good2: :good2:

    Chicken salad sandwich :good2:

    Peanut & Jelly sandwich :good2:

    *Bobby & Steve’s in downtown Mpls had really upped their game in the last 2 years. It was ok for the previous 20 years, though in the last 2 it’s been very nice. One of the very few places I miss about living downtown.

    Kwik Trip:

    Beef Stroganoff :good2: :good2:

    Chicken and bacon Mac and cheese :good2: :good2:

    Spaghetti & meatballs :good2:

    Another surprise I’ve found in the last month. With getting married and closing on the house. I’ve been some mornings to pick up a lunch. And since a Kwik Trip is down the street from the our house and my work. It’s been nice to stop in and have several good options for lunch.

    #142873 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Are you trying to steal Ryan Suter’s side gig? :lol:

    #142874 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    For a $5 whole pizza, baked and good to go, Kwik Trip isn’t bad at all.

    #142875 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 497
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gator wrote:


    Peanut & Jelly sandwich :good2:

    Who the :censored: buys a PB&J sandwich? That is the ultimate lazy lunch.

    #142876 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1201
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Kelly Red wrote:


    gator wrote:


    Peanut & Jelly sandwich :good2:

    Who the :censored: buys a PB&J sandwich? That is the ultimate lazy lunch.

    I am reserving judgement until I hear the type of jelly and if the PB is crunchy or creamy.

    #142877 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bertogliat wrote:


    Kelly Red wrote:


    gator wrote:


    Peanut & Jelly sandwich :good2:

    Who the :censored: buys a PB&J sandwich? That is the ultimate lazy lunch.

    I am reserving judgement until I hear the type of jelly and if the PB is crunchy or creamy.


    Grape and creamy. I’ve asked for strawberry, but it’s always grape. I don’t keep much bread and especially jelly on hand. I’ll eat peanut butter just out of the jar, especially for breakfast. So I have no problem buy a PB&J sandwich when I don’t have 2 of the 3 items daily in my house.

    #142878 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I forgot to enter this last night, due to various reasons, but hit up Smokey’s in East Bethel (technically Wyoming?). 1/3 rack of ribs, fresh…good God, they are as excellent as I remember them. Dry rub, they do serve sauce on the side, but meh on that.

    I was having a convo with a fellow patron, they had asked to borrow my menu when I was done (we were sitting on the rail), I mentioned I only hit this place once, maybe twice a year. They asked where I was coming from. And it was a jaw-drop reaction. Apparently, word got to the bartender:

    “Did you like everything? I heard you’re from out of town….?”

    Me: “Um……….yeah, I suppose. Minnetonka.”

    “HOLY SH*. Really?”

    Me: Yeah, the food’s worth it. It’s only about 45 minutes, no biggie.

    They honestly were astounded that people drive that long for good food.

    #142879 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    I forgot to enter this last night, due to various reasons, but hit up Smokey’s in East Bethel (technically Wyoming?). 1/3 rack of ribs, fresh…good God, they are as excellent as I remember them. Dry rub, they do serve sauce on the side, but meh on that.

    I was having a convo with a fellow patron, they had asked to borrow my menu when I was done (we were sitting on the rail), I mentioned I only hit this place once, maybe twice a year. They asked where I was coming from. And it was a jaw-drop reaction. Apparently, word got to the bartender:

    “Did you like everything? I heard you’re from out of town….?”

    Me: “Um……….yeah, I suppose. Minnetonka.”

    “HOLY SH*. Really?”

    Me: Yeah, the food’s worth it. It’s only about 45 minutes, no biggie.

    They honestly were astounded that people drive that long for good food.

    So what would they say when us from the Apple Valley stop by? We went once last summer, and had we been smart also would have had dinner there yesterday. :mrgreen:

    Probably a good thing however as we saved room to pig out on D Spot wings today. 🤤

    #142880 Quote
    BladepullerBladepuller
    • Posts: 437
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Smokies is in the Coon Lake Beach section of East Bethel. Coon Lake seperates from the main portion so we either go thru Ham Lake (south route) or Columbus (north route) to get there. EB has 3 different zip codes so the Wyoming zip is for “The Beach”.

    They have a unique vibe & neighborhood identity at The Beach. I love their food & the ownership has always been very generous to the motorcycle non-profit I was an officer of.

    Best BBQ around & JT (1/3 owner), an old biker type, visits tables to check on things.

    #142881 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bladepuller wrote:


    Smokies is in the Coon Lake Beach section of East Bethel. Coon Lake seperates from the main portion so we either go thru Ham Lake (south route) or Columbus (north route) to get there. EB has 3 different zip codes so the Wyoming zip is for “The Beach”.

    They have a unique vibe & neighborhood identity at The Beach. I love their food & the ownership has always been very generous to the motorcycle non-profit I was an officer of.

    Best BBQ around & JT (1/3 owner), an old biker type, visits tables to check on things.

    Every time I’ve been there, that is the case. Really nice guy.

    #142882 Quote
    GreyeagleGreyeagle
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1212
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    YE and I were near Bigfork this weekend at my uncle’s cabin* and Kocian’s, the grocery store in town, smokes its own back and is as good as I’ve ever had. Well worth a stop if you’re in the north woods…

    It’s truly a cabin, log, built in 1913 (wonder if [mention]Bladepuller[/mention] built it??? :D ) and been in my aunt’s family since it was built. They bought it in the mid 70s and it was primarily used as a hunting shack until recently. He has put a lot into it the past several years to fix it up plus added garage and another structure with a bathroom, kitchen, bar, etc. as he didn’t want to mess with the integrity of the original cabin. It’s a fantastic place.

    #142883 Quote
    VegoeVegoe
    • Posts: 198
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    I see the word Oriental a lot in menu items and in other products (rugs, furniture).


    Not to mention the dozens and dozens of Oriental markets scattered across the twin cities.

    https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-tsuchiyama-oriental-insult-20160601-snap-story.html

    #142884 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    We got takeout gyros from Ariana’s in St Louis Park tonight after hearing about it from the Eat Minnesota food group on FB. It’s one of those strip mall joints i’ve passed countless times and never though much about it.

    It’s probably the best gyro I’ve had in town and the mix of the Habanero Chutney and Spicy Tzatziki will have me breathing fire most of the rest of the night. It’s extremely hot and spicy and gets close to the line of too much heat to enjoy despite all that flavor.

    We’ll definitely be going back there in the future.

    #142885 Quote
    gopherguy06gopherguy06
    • Posts: 226
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Yeah it’s a hidden place but always killer when we get it.

    What FB group are you referring to ? I’d be interested.

    #142886 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Best taco place in Apple Valley, Rosemount, Lakeville and Burnsville area?

    My wife and I would go to R Taco every other Sunday evening after church in downtown Mpls. Now that we live in Rosemount, downtown Mpls. is not an option. We like El Azteca in Apple Valley for sit down tacos or Mexican food. Though looking for a place similar to R Taco.

    #142887 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gopherguy06 wrote:


    Yeah it’s a hidden place but always killer when we get it.

    What FB group are you referring to ? I’d be interested.

    It’s called Eat Minnesota.

    #142888 Quote
    LaxrefLaxref
    • Posts: 84
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Senser’s closed today??

    #142889 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 873
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Laxref wrote:


    Senser’s closed today??

    I saw on Twitter that the one in Bloomington was torn down and the Toyota dealership down the street is building a new location on that site.

    #142890 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    My wife and I are still looking for our taco hole… but our restaurant is hands down Ole Piper in Lakeville/Rosemount (Just like my house. In Rosemount, but pay Lakeville taxes). Plus, even though she doesn’t drink and I pretty much have stopped. It’s still within walking distance!!!

    #142891 Quote
    GreyeagleGreyeagle
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1212
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gator wrote:


    My wife and I are still looking for our taco hole… but our restaurant is hands down Ole Piper in Lakeville/Rosemount (Just like my house. In Rosemount, but pay Lakeville taxes). Plus, even though she doesn’t drink and I pretty much have stopped. It’s still within walking distance!!!

    Pretty sure I know the ‘hood you’re in, had a couple of close friends who grew up right there. If memory serves one of the roads heading east from/near the Piper leads to (or near) park with a nice outdoor rink. Or, at least it did many moons ago.

    #142892 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Greyeagle wrote:


    gator wrote:


    My wife and I are still looking for our taco hole… but our restaurant is hands down Ole Piper in Lakeville/Rosemount (Just like my house. In Rosemount, but pay Lakeville taxes). Plus, even though she doesn’t drink and I pretty much have stopped. It’s still within walking distance!!!

    Pretty sure I know the ‘hood you’re in, had a couple of close friends who grew up right there. If memory serves one of the roads heading east from/near the Piper leads to (or near) park with a nice outdoor rink. Or, at least it did many moons ago.


    Yep… They are building basketball and pickleball courts now in that park.

    #142893 Quote
    MNNavyMNNavy
    • Posts: 257
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gator wrote:


    My wife and I are still looking for our taco hole… but our restaurant is hands down Ole Piper in Lakeville/Rosemount (Just like my house. In Rosemount, but pay Lakeville taxes). Plus, even though she doesn’t drink and I pretty much have stopped. It’s still within walking distance!!!

    Ole Piper is good. A couple other places to try…

    • Babe’s Music Bar in downtown Lakeville – I haven’t had anything there that hasn’t been good, and they have the best ribs south of the river

    • Bourbon Butcher in Farmington – their smoked brisket is excellent. You also can’t go wrong with their smoked gouda mac & cheese
    • Can’t really help you with the taco hole. About the only Mexican restaurant we frequent is Teresa’s

    #142894 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    MNNavy wrote:


    gator wrote:


    My wife and I are still looking for our taco hole… but our restaurant is hands down Ole Piper in Lakeville/Rosemount (Just like my house. In Rosemount, but pay Lakeville taxes). Plus, even though she doesn’t drink and I pretty much have stopped. It’s still within walking distance!!!

    Ole Piper is good. A couple other places to try…

    • Babe’s Music Bar in downtown Lakeville – I haven’t had anything there that hasn’t been good, and they have the best ribs south of the river

    • Bourbon Butcher in Farmington – their smoked brisket is excellent. You also can’t go wrong with their smoked gouda mac & cheese
    • Can’t really help you with the taco hole. About the only Mexican restaurant we frequent is Teresa’s


      Thanks… I’ll put those two on the list when we don’t have the kids with us.

      #142895 Quote
      Slap ShotSlap Shot
      • Posts: 1545
      • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
      Up
      0
      Down
      ::

      La Pineda in Plymouth. Also isn’t there a fantastic Mexican place in Richfield?

      #142896 Quote
      davescharfdavescharf
      • Posts: 1096
      • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
      Up
      0
      Down
      ::

      Slap Shot wrote:


      La Pineda in Plymouth. Also isn’t there a fantastic Mexican place in Richfield?

      For where he lives it’s closer to go to Nachos but both are a drive from the south metro.

      There is a group on FB called Twin Cities Taco Enthusiasts that Zwak turned me onto. That might be a spot to check for ideas

      #142897 Quote
      SunboneSunbone
      • Posts: 97
      • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
      Up
      0
      Down
      ::

      Slap Shot wrote:


      La Pineda in Plymouth. Also isn’t there a fantastic Mexican place in Richfield?

      Andale Taqueria. 77th and Nicollet. Good stuff.

      #142898 Quote
      BeaunerBeauner
      • Posts: 1009
      • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
      Up
      0
      Down
      ::

      gator wrote:


      MNNavy wrote:


      gator wrote:


      My wife and I are still looking for our taco hole… but our restaurant is hands down Ole Piper in Lakeville/Rosemount (Just like my house. In Rosemount, but pay Lakeville taxes). Plus, even though she doesn’t drink and I pretty much have stopped. It’s still within walking distance!!!

      Ole Piper is good. A couple other places to try…

      • Babe’s Music Bar in downtown Lakeville – I haven’t had anything there that hasn’t been good, and they have the best ribs south of the river

      • Bourbon Butcher in Farmington – their smoked brisket is excellent. You also can’t go wrong with their smoked gouda mac & cheese
      • Can’t really help you with the taco hole. About the only Mexican restaurant we frequent is Teresa’s


        Thanks… I’ll put those two on the list when we don’t have the kids with us.

        Have you tried El Parian? Its off of Glasgow down there. I went there once after softball and enjoyed it. There’s one near me in Eagan but I’ve never been to that one. I’ve heard good things about Mi Pueblo a couple miles north of Ole Piper.

        #142899 Quote
        ArmadilloArmadillo
        • Posts: 172
        • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
        Up
        0
        Down
        ::

        sunbone wrote:


        Slap Shot wrote:


        La Pineda in Plymouth. Also isn’t there a fantastic Mexican place in Richfield?

        Andale Taqueria. 77th and Nicollet. Good stuff.

        Seconded.

        #142900 Quote
        skiier32skiier32
        • Posts: 36
        • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
        Up
        0
        Down
        ::

        Beauner wrote:


        gator wrote:


        MNNavy wrote:


        gator wrote:


        My wife and I are still looking for our taco hole… but our restaurant is hands down Ole Piper in Lakeville/Rosemount (Just like my house. In Rosemount, but pay Lakeville taxes). Plus, even though she doesn’t drink and I pretty much have stopped. It’s still within walking distance!!!

        Ole Piper is good. A couple other places to try…

        • Babe’s Music Bar in downtown Lakeville – I haven’t had anything there that hasn’t been good, and they have the best ribs south of the river

        • Bourbon Butcher in Farmington – their smoked brisket is excellent. You also can’t go wrong with their smoked gouda mac & cheese
        • Can’t really help you with the taco hole. About the only Mexican restaurant we frequent is Teresa’s


          Thanks… I’ll put those two on the list when we don’t have the kids with us.

          Have you tried El Parian? Its off of Glasgow down there. I went there once after softball and enjoyed it. There’s one near me in Eagan but I’ve never been to that one. I’ve heard good things about Mi Pueblo a couple miles north of Ole Piper.


          El Parian is good. Los Tacos in Rosemount is also good. It’s right by the Cub.

          #142901 Quote
          gatorgator
          • Posts: 1012
          • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
          Up
          0
          Down
          ::

          skiier32 wrote:


          Beauner wrote:


          gator wrote:


          MNNavy wrote:


          gator wrote:


          My wife and I are still looking for our taco hole… but our restaurant is hands down Ole Piper in Lakeville/Rosemount (Just like my house. In Rosemount, but pay Lakeville taxes). Plus, even though she doesn’t drink and I pretty much have stopped. It’s still within walking distance!!!

          Ole Piper is good. A couple other places to try…

          • Babe’s Music Bar in downtown Lakeville – I haven’t had anything there that hasn’t been good, and they have the best ribs south of the river

          • Bourbon Butcher in Farmington – their smoked brisket is excellent. You also can’t go wrong with their smoked gouda mac & cheese
          • Can’t really help you with the taco hole. About the only Mexican restaurant we frequent is Teresa’s


            Thanks… I’ll put those two on the list when we don’t have the kids with us.

            Have you tried El Parian? Its off of Glasgow down there. I went there once after softball and enjoyed it. There’s one near me in Eagan but I’ve never been to that one. I’ve heard good things about Mi Pueblo a couple miles north of Ole Piper.


            El Parian is good. Los Tacos in Rosemount is also good. It’s right by the Cub.


            Sounds good… I’ll check the out.

            #142902 Quote
            gatorgator
            • Posts: 1012
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            I’m sure these have been mentioned in the previous 9,444…

            South metro establishments between Rosemount and Randolph where in my in-laws live…

            1) Quarterback Club (Northfield): Good chicken, burgers and milkshakes.

            2) Meric’s Woodfire Oven (Hampton): Great woodfire pizzas.

            3) Little Oscar’s (Hampton): Good Breakfast.

            4) King’s (Miesville): Name the burger and most likely it’s on the menu.

            5) House of Coates (Coates): Good burgers and specials.

            6) Farmington Steak House (Farmington): I use frequent it years ago, but now it’s more in my backyard.

            #142903 Quote
            KarlssonKarlsson
            • Posts: 818
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            The new Revival location in Saint Louis Park finally opens tomorrow.

            #142904 Quote
            ZwakZwak
            Moderator
            • Posts: 873
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            I get the Axios newsletter emailed to me everyday. Today there was this note about a new sports bar coming to downtown Mpls. There was no article to link to so here is the text of it.

            Tom’s Watch Bar — a sports bar concept from Smashburger chain co-founder Tom Ryan — is opening a new location in downtown Minneapolis.

            Driving the news: Tom’s Watch Bar has signed a lease for about 12,000 square feet at the corner of Hennepin Avenue and Sixth Street — the space once occupied by Rosa Mexicano and Prime 6 in the recently renovated City Center.

            • The bar will open in early 2022.

            Details: The staple of Tom’s Watch Bar — whose sixth location opened this week in Denver — is one massive stadium screen surrounded by hundreds of smaller screens. The idea is you have a good view of the game no matter where you’re sitting.

            Flashback: Five years ago, Ryan told Nick that he wanted to open one of his sports bars — then called Tom’s Urban — near Target Field and Target Center.

            • Ryan, whose company is based in Denver, lives part-time in the Kenwood neighborhood with his Minnesota-born wife.

            Between the lines: The loss of downtown office workers has caused many restaurants in the area to close because of current businesses leaving and uncertainty about the effect of remote work.

            • But Ryan told Nick that his bar concept is less reliant on office workers, as most of its business comes from sports fans eating and drinking before and after games, as well as during televised sporting events.

            #142905 Quote
            Don Adam's Wheel of JusticeDon Adam’s Wheel of Justice
            • Posts: 155
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            • GPL Podcast SponsorThe Official GPL Podcast Sponsor
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            He better hope that he can draw crowds from those who live downtown. If he thinks he’s going to draw suburban folks into downtown, he’s flushing his money down the toilet.

            #142906 Quote
            Steve MNSteve MN
            • Posts: 812
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            I suspect the game-night traffic from Target Center/Target Field/USBank Stadium will be good, but I definitely question whether that’s enough to be able to pay downtown rent. Because anyone not already downtown isn’t going to come in just to watch a game.

            #142907 Quote
            The RubeThe Rube
            • Posts: 2390
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Steve MN wrote:


            I suspect the game-night traffic from Target Center/Target Field/USBank Stadium will be good, but I definitely question whether that’s enough to be able to pay downtown rent. Because anyone not already downtown isn’t going to come in just to watch a game.

            Not until that light rail from Hopkins is built, TBH. Then I’d consider it.

            #142908 Quote
            davescharfdavescharf
            • Posts: 1096
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Steve MN wrote:


            I suspect the game-night traffic from Target Center/Target Field/USBank Stadium will be good, but I definitely question whether that’s enough to be able to pay downtown rent. Because anyone not already downtown isn’t going to come in just to watch a game.

            I can’t remember even before COVID the last time I was downtown. North Loop certainly but even when I go to a Twins game I don’t go east of Target Center

            #142909 Quote
            The RubeThe Rube
            • Posts: 2390
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            I think the last time for me was for a Twins game that got rained out. Got there, waited for an hour or so, game was announced as a rain-out, left. Didn’t pre-game or anything.

            #142910 Quote
            Steve MNSteve MN
            • Posts: 812
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            davescharf wrote:


            Steve MN wrote:


            I suspect the game-night traffic from Target Center/Target Field/USBank Stadium will be good, but I definitely question whether that’s enough to be able to pay downtown rent. Because anyone not already downtown isn’t going to come in just to watch a game.

            I can’t remember even before COVID the last time I was downtown. North Loop certainly but even when I go to a Twins game I don’t go east of Target Center

            This is only a block south of Target Center, so, definitely in distance from Target Field/Center, for sure.

            #142911 Quote
            ZwakZwak
            Moderator
            • Posts: 873
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Steve MN wrote:


            I suspect the game-night traffic from Target Center/Target Field/USBank Stadium will be good, but I definitely question whether that’s enough to be able to pay downtown rent. Because anyone not already downtown isn’t going to come in just to watch a game.

            My thoughts exactly. In a normal season there are 41 Wolves, 81 Twins and 18 Lynx home games for a total of 140 games which is about 38% of a calendar year. Pre/post game traffic might account for a total of 3 hours of business on each of those nights. That leaves a large part of those dates and the other 62% of the year to account for, Not sure how much business they would draw on concert/theater nights

            #142912 Quote
            BertogliatBertogliat
            • Posts: 1201
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Steve MN wrote:


            I suspect the game-night traffic from Target Center/Target Field/USBank Stadium will be good, but I definitely question whether that’s enough to be able to pay downtown rent. Because anyone not already downtown isn’t going to come in just to watch a game.


            “• But Ryan told Nick that his bar concept is less reliant on office workers, as most of its business comes from sports fans eating and drinking before and after games, as well as during televised sporting events.”

            This is the weird part. If your big crowd is serving people before and after games, then you don’t need a movie screen and shit loads of other TVs because the game won’t be playing while most of your customers are there. And I agree that you won’t likely get people to drive in from the burbs to watch a game at a bar downtown.

            That said, there has been a lot of people who have moved into all of those new condos/apartments so maybe they do have a customer base. It’s a gamble.

            #142913 Quote
            Steve MNSteve MN
            • Posts: 812
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Bertogliat wrote:


            Steve MN wrote:


            I suspect the game-night traffic from Target Center/Target Field/USBank Stadium will be good, but I definitely question whether that’s enough to be able to pay downtown rent. Because anyone not already downtown isn’t going to come in just to watch a game.


            “• But Ryan told Nick that his bar concept is less reliant on office workers, as most of its business comes from sports fans eating and drinking before and after games, as well as during televised sporting events.”

            This is the weird part. If your big crowd is serving people before and after games, then you don’t need a movie screen and $h!t loads of other TVs because the game won’t be playing while most of your customers are there. And I agree that you won’t likely get people to drive in from the burbs to watch a game at a bar downtown.

            That said, there has been a lot of people who have moved into all of those new condos/apartments so maybe they do have a customer base. It’s a gamble.

            I certainly wish them good luck, and the somewhat recent influx of residents downtown may help, but I get the feeling that the people moving downtown may not quite be the crowd this kind of bar attracts.

            I’m sure the before/after game crowds will be fine, it’s the rest of the year I question.

            #142914 Quote
            gatorgator
            • Posts: 1012
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Tried Mi Pueblo (Rosemount) last night. I’ll put it behind EL Azteca (Apple Valley) and ahead of Taco Chon (Burnsville). Though I would put Taco Bell ahead of Taco Chon. Next will have to be Los Tacos (Rosemount). Even my sister and bro-in-law who live in Apple Valley recommend that Los Tacos.

            #142915 Quote
            trixR4kidstrixR4kids
            • Posts: 353
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:


            He better hope that he can draw crowds from those who live downtown. If he thinks he’s going to draw suburban folks into downtown, he’s flushing his money down the toilet.


            I would imagine they thought about that.

            #142916 Quote
            BertogliatBertogliat
            • Posts: 1201
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Went to breakfast at Keys Cafe this morning (my favorite breakfast place). Sounds like they make a lot more business now than pre Covid due to the addition of Door Dash orders. The kitchen gets slammed.

            For a business that announced an impending closure twice….awesome to hear.

            #142917 Quote
            gatorgator
            • Posts: 1012
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:


            He better hope that he can draw crowds from those who live downtown. If he thinks he’s going to draw suburban folks into downtown, he’s flushing his money down the toilet.


            Lived downtown since Aug. of ‘94. And I always rated living downtown somewhere between a 7 to 10 depending on what was going on. Though after last Memorial Day m, I rate downtown as a 1 to 3, maybe a 4. So fortunate for me I got married and moved out to the southern suburbs. I really have no reason to go to downtown Minneapolis until things get better and I’ll leave it at that.

            #142918 Quote
            gopherguy06gopherguy06
            • Posts: 226
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Haven’t been there downtime for any reason other than Twins game. Haven’t been to a bar or restaurant any really but there are some worth checking out.

            #142919 Quote
            Snowcool08Snowcool08
            • Posts: 202
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            It’s still super annoying that many Chipotle restaurants are online only. I hate ordering online because they make the worst burritos/bowls possible. I’m sure they’re short staffed, but at least let me come in and have them make the bowl in front of me.

            #142920 Quote
            The RubeThe Rube
            • Posts: 2390
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Snowcool08 wrote:


            It’s still super annoying that many Chipotle restaurants are online only. I hate ordering online because they make the worst burritos/bowls possible. I’m sure they’re short staffed, but at least let me come in and have them make the bowl in front of me.

            Until Chipotle uses anti-biotics, I will not order from them. That is all I will say on the subject, due to board policies. I’ve said my piece.

            #142921 Quote
            NormNorm
            • Posts: 405
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            The Rube wrote:


            Snowcool08 wrote:


            It’s still super annoying that many Chipotle restaurants are online only. I hate ordering online because they make the worst burritos/bowls possible. I’m sure they’re short staffed, but at least let me come in and have them make the bowl in front of me.

            Until Chipotle uses anti-biotics, I will not order from them. That is all I will say on the subject, due to board policies. I’ve said my piece.

            You mean Chipotle should hand out antibiotics with their meals? :lol:

            #142922 Quote
            GreyeagleGreyeagle
            Moderator
            • Posts: 1212
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            BBQ always drives a lot of opinions and emotion but I enjoy these types of articles simply because they are good for different options around town.

            https://discoverthecities.com/best-bbq-minneapolis-st-paul-twin-cities/?fbclid=IwAR2EqDNQzYWMlL7AIMH5Q0QHoYv4El-6sdPWCbqiBclzGY-JIyz2WluwSlM

            #142923 Quote
            davescharfdavescharf
            • Posts: 1096
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Greyeagle wrote:


            BBQ always drives a lot of opinions and emotion but I enjoy these types of articles simply because they are good for different options around town.

            https://discoverthecities.com/best-bbq-minneapolis-st-paul-twin-cities/?fbclid=IwAR2EqDNQzYWMlL7AIMH5Q0QHoYv4El-6sdPWCbqiBclzGY-JIyz2WluwSlM

            I have a friend who swears by Animales. We will have to check a few of these out

            #142924 Quote
            The RubeThe Rube
            • Posts: 2390
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Animales has some hype behind it, I’m also curious.

            Smokey’s, East Bethel. Shhhh. I still swear by it.

            #142925 Quote
            Slap ShotSlap Shot
            • Posts: 1545
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            I’ve heard good things about Buddy Boy BBQ in Minnetrista as well as Big Bore BBQ in Hanover, although obviously I can’t personally vouch.

            #142926 Quote
            BertogliatBertogliat
            • Posts: 1201
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Snowcool08 wrote:


            It’s still super annoying that many Chipotle restaurants are online only. I hate ordering online because they make the worst burritos/bowls possible. I’m sure they’re short staffed, but at least let me come in and have them make the bowl in front of me.

            I don’t like Chipotle, but the rest of my family does. I refuse to even pick up food from Chipotle for them because it takes 45+ minutes to get our order.

            The last time I went, I ordered online. I went to a lobby full of people waiting for their orders. Nothing was on the “To Go” shelf. After waiting another 10-15 minutes past my pick up time I see there is another shelf behind the counter. But no employee would come to the counter to announce the name on the bags or to allow me to ask if my bag was back there. Another 5-10 minutes went by before anyone come out form the kitchen area to help… and they only came out because I walked behind the counter to try to read the name on the bags.

            Even before COVID the line at this restaurant was 30 minute long- often extending outside. The cashier was always the rate limiting step. Yet somehow they never considered…..TWO cashiers to speed up the process! :crazy: So many times I walked away because the wait was too long.

            I can’t imagine how much business they loose due to poor service and resulting long wait times. They obviously have tons of people who like their food, but they can’t get their heads out of their butts to complete the sales.

            #142927 Quote
            CowgirlCowgirl
            • Posts: 1392
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            I’m not a huge fan either. Their food is nothing special and is very overpriced. A couple times during covid our work has ordered lunch from chipotle; I’ve notice they’ve severely skimped on the amount of food (in the salad/bowls anyway) Without anyone standing there watching them prepare, I suppose they can get away with it.

            #142928 Quote
            GreyeagleGreyeagle
            Moderator
            • Posts: 1212
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Chipotle is the Krispy Kreme of Mexican food.

            #142929 Quote
            BertogliatBertogliat
            • Posts: 1201
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Greyeagle wrote:


            Chipotle is the Krispy Kreme of Mexican food.

            Accurate post.

            #142930 Quote
            Slap ShotSlap Shot
            • Posts: 1545
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Discussed elsewhere – if you had to choose a final meal of 4 courses + 1 beverage. This was my first stab although I suspect if you asked me the same question next week I’d have a few different choices:

            -A dozen oysters from Oceanaire, pass on the Groth sauvignon blanc for my choice below

            -Kuay Teow Reua from Dusit in Bangkok

            -The filet oscar from Capital Grille

            -Dry Aged burger from Red Hook in Brooklyn

            -Aberfeldy 20-year-old exceptional cask single malt

            Hard to pass on a half-dozen double jalapenos from White Castle.

            #142931 Quote
            BertogliatBertogliat
            • Posts: 1201
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Minneapolis and and even longer time since I’ve driven down Washington through the warehouse district. I was pleasantly surprised this weekend to see so many restaurants in the area after hearing reports of the demise of the businesses.

            We also went to the MPLS Farmers Market on Sat morning and I was happy to see it’s even better than it was Pre-COVID. We had breakfast burritos and coffee and listened to a band play some great music. But I could see coming later in the morning for street corn and the beer garden. It’s a great place to have breakfast or lunch and stroll around.

            I was happy to get refreshed on Red Ron’s Garden Relish!

            #142932 Quote
            davescharfdavescharf
            • Posts: 1096
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Bertogliat wrote:


            It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Minneapolis and and even longer time since I’ve driven down Washington through the warehouse district. I was pleasantly surprised this weekend to see so many restaurants in the area after hearing reports of the demise of the businesses.

            We also went to the MPLS Farmers Market on Sat morning and I was happy to see it’s even better than it was Pre-COVID. We had breakfast burritos and coffee and listened to a band play some great music. But I could see coming later in the morning for street corn and the beer garden. It’s a great place to have breakfast or lunch and stroll around.

            I was happy to get refreshed on Red Ron’s Garden Relish!

            We went to Borough for dinner and there were a lot of people milling around. It was nice to see

            #142933 Quote
            The RubeThe Rube
            • Posts: 2390
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Bertogliat wrote:


            Greyeagle wrote:


            Chipotle is the Krispy Kreme of Mexican food.

            Accurate post.

            Seconded.

            As far as a four course….in general:

            Garden Salad w/raspberry vinaigrette

            Risotto.

            22 oz porterhouse, med rare

            Cheesecake (fluffy, not dense style, although I like both) with a raspberry drizzle

            Drink: since we’re wishing, Macallan 72. ;)

            #142934 Quote
            BertogliatBertogliat
            • Posts: 1201
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Slap Shot wrote:


            Discussed elsewhere – if you had to choose a final meal of 4 courses + 1 beverage. This was my first stab although I suspect if you asked me the same question next week I’d have a few different choices:

            -A dozen oysters from Oceanaire, pass on the Groth sauvignon blanc for my choice below

            -Kuay Teow Reua from Dusit in Bangkok

            -The filet oscar from Capital Grille

            -Dry Aged burger from Red Hook in Brooklyn

            -Aberfeldy 20-year-old exceptional cask single malt

            Hard to pass on a half-dozen double jalapenos from White Castle.

            I struggle with this because my favorite dishes don’t go well together. But this is my list.

            “The salad” from tequilaberries (now closed)

            My family recipe Thanksgiving stuffing

            Pepper steak from the Double Musky in Girdwood, AK

            Cheesecake from Tavola in NYC

            Whiskey Old Fashioned (not Wisconsin style)

            #142935 Quote
            ZwakZwak
            Moderator
            • Posts: 873
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Here is your list of the new State Fair foods coming this year

            https://www.mnstatefair.org/new-this-year/food/

            #142936 Quote
            BertogliatBertogliat
            • Posts: 1201
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Zwak wrote:


            Here is your list of the new State Fair foods coming this year

            https://www.mnstatefair.org/new-this-year/food/

            We may have jumped the shark. Nothing on this list sounds great to me. It seems with each dish, the vendor adds some odd ingredient that screws it up. And with several of them they just go full on add more ingredients until it’s so gross, people have to talk about it.

            They put cotton candy on top of a fruit pie that is infused with vodka. People over the age of 7 don’t eat cotton candy….because it’s gross. Maybe this is meant for the Carnies.

            #142937 Quote
            GreyeagleGreyeagle
            Moderator
            • Posts: 1212
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            The Esquites sounds awesome. During the summer you can get a version this at a stand in El Burrito Mercado’s parking lot, they roast the corn and serve it on the cob. It is really good and grab A LOT of napkins!

            #142938 Quote
            BertogliatBertogliat
            • Posts: 1201
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Greyeagle wrote:


            The Esquites sounds awesome. During the summer you can get a version this at a stand in El Burrito Mercado’s parking lot, they roast the corn and serve it on the cob. It is really good and grab A LOT of napkins!

            Elote (Mexican street corn) is awesome. I have even made it at home. The Esquites looks like it corn that is swimming in mayo. I like Mayo, but :puke:

            #142939 Quote
            Slap ShotSlap Shot
            • Posts: 1545
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Bertogliat wrote:


            Zwak wrote:


            Here is your list of the new State Fair foods coming this year

            https://www.mnstatefair.org/new-this-year/food/

            We may have jumped the shark. Nothing on this list sounds great to me. It seems with each dish, the vendor adds some odd ingredient that screws it up. And with several of them they just go full on add more ingredients until it’s so gross, people have to talk about it.

            They put cotton candy on top of a fruit pie that is infused with vodka. People over the age of 7 don’t eat cotton candy….because it’s gross. Maybe this is meant for the Carnies.

            imho nothing wrong with the banh minn, bison bites, the tipsy pies, banana pudding, choriz on a stick, greek ravioli, kati roll, naughty biscuit, pizza lucy, tuna tacos and the paneer. I wouldn’t eat most of it just because, but those look like normal fair food void of anything too outrageous.

            #142940 Quote
            GreyeagleGreyeagle
            Moderator
            • Posts: 1212
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Bertogliat wrote:


            Greyeagle wrote:


            The Esquites sounds awesome. During the summer you can get a version this at a stand in El Burrito Mercado’s parking lot, they roast the corn and serve it on the cob. It is really good and grab A LOT of napkins!

            Elote (Mexican street corn) is awesome. I have even made it at home. The Esquites looks like it corn that is swimming in mayo. I like Mayo, but :puke:

            Thanks….could not remember its name. It does look a little mayo heavy but I will still give it a try.

            #142941 Quote
            KarlssonKarlsson
            • Posts: 818
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Yeah, this doesn’t look more or less outrageous that any other year to me. Some look good, some look bad. I usually try one maybe two new things when I go (sharing with wife) and stick to my favorites. If enough people are raving about something I might try it.

            #142942 Quote
            davescharfdavescharf
            • Posts: 1096
            • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            I’m probably not going to the Fair because we will be in Utah for 2 weeks and just getting back near the end. There are a few things though here if we go that is absolutely try

            Viewing 75 posts - 76 through 150 (of 644 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

            Portal Forum General General Discussion Restaurants…