Portal Forum General General Discussion Movies

  • This topic has 861 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated Aug 3 at 10:10pm by The RubeThe Rube.
Viewing 75 posts - 526 through 600 (of 862 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #135691 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Greenland (HBO Max):

    A family struggles for survival in the face of a cataclysmic natural disaster.

    While it has its moments, it is a run-of-the-mill end-of-days movie. Let’s put it this way: due to KC whupping up on PIT in the NFL, I wanted something worthwhile *enough* to fit the bill, and this worked. It didn’t bore me, but it didn’t really impress me, either.

    #135692 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Don’t Look Up (Netflix streaming):

    Two low-level astronomers must go on a giant media tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will destroy planet Earth.

    I thought it was brilliant. This satire skewers EVERYONE. I shall attempt to tread carefully, due to the rules on this site, and if I fail, please forgive me.

    I have heard many takes (in general terms, no specifics) before watching. I was 50-50 on whether I would like this movie. The first thought was: Ok, this movie is NOT pulling punches. It’s out there, taking shots.

    Second thought, the way it’s presented, was “Natural Born Killers” showing brief glimpses of images/short video (a couple seconds) of stuff that in totally unrelated to the story at hand. Happens more often than not, making it more than a coincidence.

    Third thought…anyone who has a SERIOUS beef with this movie. probably was triggered (I still hate that word, it’s used too much). My…type of personality was satirized, also, and I laughed, because it was true. If one cannot laugh at oneself, etc…

    I highly recommend. Great commentary as to where we are as a society. I would say prepare to be “RAH!” at some moments, and be angry at other moments. It was very well done, and I give it the rare “I’m gonna buy the DVD” recommendation. Repeat viewability, where at the LEAST, in 20 years, you can see where we were at this point in civilization.

    #135693 Quote
    BigbeerBigbeer
    • Posts: 746
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Agreed, Don’t Look Up is great. About 2/3rds of the way thru you realize what they are doing and it’s awesome. The cast is crazy good too. Jonah Hill in particular kills it.

    #135694 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bigbeer wrote:


    Agreed, Don’t Look Up is great. About 2/3rds of the way thru you realize what they are doing and it’s awesome. The cast is crazy good too. Jonah Hill in particular kills it.

    Each character definitely represents a certain demographic. The chemistry is awesome.

    #135695 Quote
    BigbeerBigbeer
    • Posts: 746
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Bigbeer wrote:


    Agreed, Don’t Look Up is great. About 2/3rds of the way thru you realize what they are doing and it’s awesome. The cast is crazy good too. Jonah Hill in particular kills it.

    Each character definitely represents a certain demographic. The chemistry is awesome.

    When that clicks it gets exponentially funnier.

    Also, Jonah Hill and Jennifer Lawrence telling the GOAT story about Meryl Streep on talk shows is hilarious.

    #135697 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Shack (Netflix streaming):

    A grieving man receives a mysterious, personal invitation to meet with God at a place called “The Shack.”

    I really liked this movie, very much a personal journey. There are parts where it feels like it’s a Hallmark/Lifetime movie with a PhD and some effort, and then it balances out with some artsy elements to it. The end result is a deep, sometimes dark, solid watch. I dare say, a non-comedic “Dogma” sort of movie per religion and beliefs. Definitely have to be in the mood for such a movie, but I’d give it a go.

    #135699 Quote
    ex_goldyex_goldy
    • Posts: 60
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    New Spider-Man movie was a great movie, having seen the previous Spider-Man movies. I heard groups of people talking after the movie who hadn’t seen the previous movies asking a lot of questions. It was a huge production, very much a cartoon type of character depth and plot. But that’s what the marvel movies are.

    I liked it but don’t think too much, go along for the ride. Also the theatre was full. The movie theatre industry is in trouble and needs this badly.

    Don’t look up on Netflix. I will watch this again. Dark comedy and clear ties to todays news, politics, and people. Highly recommend.

    #135700 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    POMS (Netflix Streaming):

    POMS is a comedy about a group of women who form a cheer leading squad at their retirement community, proving that you’re never too old to ‘bring it!’

    Has Diane Keaton, Pam Grier, Rhea Perlman in it…WTF let’s check it out.

    It is exactly what you’d expect from the description. Old people doing things old people aren’t supposed to do. And you know what? I *liked* this movie. It was brainless fun. They had fun with the plot didn’t give a sh* about anything, 90 minutes without a care in the world, is how I saw it. Give it a whirl, you might be surprised.

    #135701 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 453
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I don’t watch too many movies but a couple of days ago I happened to tune into an older one on cable called “Mud”, in large part because it carried a viewer rating of 98 and I just felt like relaxing that evening. Anyway, after a few minutes I was really drawn into the acting and storyline. Anyone else here happen to see it?

    https://youtu.be/2m9IFlz2iYo

    #135702 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    D2D wrote:


    I don’t watch too many movies but a couple of days ago I happened to tune into an older one on cable called “Mud”, in large part because it carried a viewer rating of 98 and I just felt like relaxing that evening. Anyway, after a few minutes I was really drawn into the acting and storyline. Anyone else here happen to see it?

    https://youtu.be/2m9IFlz2iYo

    Loved it. Matt McC’s lesser known movies are awesome, he really shows his chops in these.

    #135703 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Is this on Netflix?

    #135704 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cowgirl wrote:


    Is this on Netflix?

    Disc only.

    #135705 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    Is this on Netflix?

    Disc only.

    I could have predicted that. 99% of the time I find a movie I’d like to see, Netflix and prime don’t have it.

    #135706 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Hence why I have both Netflix disc and streaming. Netflix disc also has a MASSIVE library of older movies. According to Google, Prime and Hulu plus is available to rent…

    #135707 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Hence why I have both Netflix disc and streaming. Netflix disc also has a MASSIVE library of older movies. According to Google, Prime and Hulu plus is available to rent…


    Yeah that defeats the purpose of already paying for those services up front. I’m not paying twice to watch a movie.

    #135708 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cowgirl wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Hence why I have both Netflix disc and streaming. Netflix disc also has a MASSIVE library of older movies. According to Google, Prime and Hulu plus is available to rent…


    Yeah that defeats the purpose of already paying for those services up front. I’m not paying twice to watch a movie.

    I agree, so Netflix disc. :) I don’t do Prime or Hulu, etc unless free trial. ;)

    I pay for Netflix dual and HBO Max. I leech Disney.

    #135709 Quote
    MNGophers29MNGophers29
    • Posts: 507
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Hence why I have both Netflix disc and streaming. Netflix disc also has a MASSIVE library of older movies. According to Google, Prime and Hulu plus is available to rent…


    Yeah that defeats the purpose of already paying for those services up front. I’m not paying twice to watch a movie.

    I agree, so Netflix disc. :) I don’t do Prime or Hulu, etc unless free trial. ;)

    I pay for Netflix dual and HBO Max. I leech Disney.


    You pay for Amazon shipping each time?

    #135710 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    MNGophers29 wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Hence why I have both Netflix disc and streaming. Netflix disc also has a MASSIVE library of older movies. According to Google, Prime and Hulu plus is available to rent…


    Yeah that defeats the purpose of already paying for those services up front. I’m not paying twice to watch a movie.

    I agree, so Netflix disc. :) I don’t do Prime or Hulu, etc unless free trial. ;)

    I pay for Netflix dual and HBO Max. I leech Disney.


    You pay for Amazon shipping each time?


    Nope. I build a list until I get enough to get free shipping. And about once every 4 buys, I get a free 30 day trial or something for Prime.

    #135711 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    MNGophers29 wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Hence why I have both Netflix disc and streaming. Netflix disc also has a MASSIVE library of older movies. According to Google, Prime and Hulu plus is available to rent…


    Yeah that defeats the purpose of already paying for those services up front. I’m not paying twice to watch a movie.

    I agree, so Netflix disc. :) I don’t do Prime or Hulu, etc unless free trial. ;)

    I pay for Netflix dual and HBO Max. I leech Disney.


    You pay for Amazon shipping each time?


    Nope. I build a list until I get enough to get free shipping. And about once every 4 buys, I get a free 30 day trial or something for Prime.


    Do you clip coupons too? ;)

    #135712 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I do not. I’m not THAT meticulous.

    #135714 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 873
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Article about the 15 most boring movies of the last 20 years

    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/654013/most-boring-movies

    #135715 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 497
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    Article about the 15 most boring movies of the last 20 years

    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/654013/most-boring-movies


    I’ll agree with most of those, but Suicide Squad? Not a great, or even a good, movie but it’s not boring.

    #135716 Quote
    BigbeerBigbeer
    • Posts: 746
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Kelly Red wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Article about the 15 most boring movies of the last 20 years

    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/654013/most-boring-movies


    I’ll agree with most of those, but Suicide Squad? Not a great, or even a good, movie but it’s not boring.

    You can argue how good they are but most of those were not boring

    #135717 Quote
    Steve MNSteve MN
    • Posts: 812
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bigbeer wrote:


    Kelly Red wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Article about the 15 most boring movies of the last 20 years

    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/654013/most-boring-movies


    I’ll agree with most of those, but Suicide Squad? Not a great, or even a good, movie but it’s not boring.

    You can argue how good they are but most of those were not boring

    Agreed. None of them are that great, and many were very disappointing. That doesn’t necessarily equate to boring.

    #135718 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 497
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bigbeer wrote:


    Kelly Red wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Article about the 15 most boring movies of the last 20 years

    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/654013/most-boring-movies


    I’ll agree with most of those, but Suicide Squad? Not a great, or even a good, movie but it’s not boring.

    You can argue how good they are but most of those were not boring


    What I find most hilarious is how very narrow this group of “boring” films are. Was the quiz only given to 14-26 year old males? It’s heavily weighted towards comic book films with a couple of animated ones thrown in. You want boring, try the retrospective of the German lesbian avant-garde film maker the Walker did about 10 years ago! A 3 hour evening I’ll never get back. Or at least a dozen films The Rube has watched just this last year alone. :poke: This list? It’s boring in its lack of any real thought, not the films listed.

    #135719 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I’ll say one of the most boring movies alone came out this year, and that was The Power Of The Dog. Holy crap was that a snoozefest. Bad does not equal boring.

    I’m guessing the article was clickbait, and it worked.

    #135720 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 497
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    A true actor has died. Sidney Poitier. Please watch In the Heat of the Night to see his genius.

    #135721 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 453
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    Is this on Netflix?

    Disc only.


    I was actually able to watch on Comcast/Infinity. No disc, no Netflix.

    #135723 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 873
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I saw Spider-Man: No Way Home today. I enjoyed it but I don’t need to see it again. It was a little heavier than the other two Holland movies.

    I enjoyed the cameos and was surprised as to how many of the cameos were more like supporting roles.

    #135724 Quote
    HockeyBumHockeyBum
    • Posts: 136
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Tender Bar (Amazon Prime). Boy overcomes working class background to attend Yale and become a writer. Basically a worse and more boring version of Hillbilly Elegy. Didn’t help that the kid turns into kind of a dick during the college years scenes. I’d recommend passing on this one.

    #135725 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    HockeyBum wrote:


    The Tender Bar (Amazon Prime). Boy overcomes working class background to attend Yale and become a writer. Basically a worse and more boring version of Hillbilly Elegy. Didn’t help that the kid turns into kind of a dick during the college years scenes. I’d recommend passing on this one.

    He went to Yale. Self-explanatory. :wink:

    #135727 Quote
    BeaunerBeauner
    • Posts: 1009
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    I saw Spider-Man: No Way Home today. I enjoyed it but I don’t need to see it again. It was a little heavier than the other two Holland movies.

    I enjoyed the cameos and was surprised as to how many of the cameos were more like supporting roles.

    It definitely was “heavier” as you say. I think that was by design because up until this point he’s been Spiderman with no real repercussions (except the end of Endgame) and now he’s realizing that with his great powers come great responsibility.

    I am VERY excited to see how they tie in the multiverse in the upcoming movies. Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is going to be a lot of fun.

    #135728 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Card Counter (Netflix disc):

    Redemption is the long game in Paul Schrader’s THE CARD COUNTER. Told with Schrader’s trademark cinematic intensity, the revenge thriller tells the story of an ex-military interrogator turned gambler haunted by the ghosts of his past.

    I can see why Martin Scorcese produced this. The story is whatever cliched, but the character study in it is great. It’s slow, grimy, deliberate, calculated…a very slow burn. I do recommend it.

    #135729 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Eyes Of Tammy Faye (HBOMax):

    An intimate look at the extraordinary rise, fall and redemption of televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker.

    Jessica Chastain and Andrew Garfield shine in their roles as Tammy Faye and Jim Bakker. The movie does a tremendous job of walking the high-wire of demonizing/being sympathetic with Tammy Faye, knowing there is no net. Such a balancing act deserves recognition, as that was Tammy Faye’s life; she was manipulator AND victim, simultaneously. I had high expectations for this movie, and it delivered.

    For such a salacious topic, one that is prone to over-doing it, this movie kept it in check, and the let the story play out as it happened, with minimal dramatizations. Frankly, the truth is stranger than fiction with this story.

    Necessary edit: While Kurt Russel’s MN accent in Miracle was darn near perfect, Chastain’s MN accent is up there. A bit pronounced, but not even close to overblown. I’d give her a B+ at WORST.

    #135730 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Rock’N’Roll High School (private collection):

    Ramones fanatic and delinquent Riff Randell battles it out with the strict new principal of Vince Lombardi High School, Miss Togar, with help from the Ramones.

    Zany comedy, lots of film sped up for comedic effect (but, I will note, The Ramones played in REAL time, yes, the guitarists played that fast!). Cult movie, low budget. PJ Soles is as energetic as ever as Riff (you might remember her from Halloween and Stripes in that era), this is just a mindless, sit back and relax, movie. Yes, it helps if one is a fan of the Ramones, lots of songs featured in the movie.

    Overall? Turn off your brain, just enjoy the B-movie. :)

    #135731 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Geronimo: American Legend (Netflix streaming):

    The story of the Apache chief and his armed resistance to the U.S. Government’s subjugation of his people.

    Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, Matt Damon, Jason Patric? Sold. Solid movie overall. Wes Studi does the Geronimo role well, but Matt Damon (in pretty much his second movie) really shines. I thought the struggles of the Apache and the US Army of doing what is right and what is needed are portrayed very well. I could think of many other worse ways to spend 2 hours, for sure.

    #135732 Quote
    HockeyBumHockeyBum
    • Posts: 136
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I think it’s a few years old, but “If I Leave Here Tomorrow” (Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary) on Netflix was really good. Other than maybe 3 songs and knowing the band was in a plane crash, I didn’t know much about them going into it. You don’t need to be a Skynyrd fan to enjoy this one.

    #135733 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Free Guy (Netflix disc):

    A bank teller discovers that he’s actually an NPC inside a brutal, open world video game.

    Well, this is a live-action Wreck It Ralph, or maybe even a fun Matrix, and there is nothing wrong with that. A simple, fun movie and you don’t even have to be a gamer to enjoy it (I’m not a gamer, at all). I thought it translated well, bouncing between the real world and the gaming world, and sometimes what a blur it is to some people out there.

    2 hours long, which kind of surprised me, figured this movie would clock on at 90 minutes or so, but not a minute is overblown or wasted. I’d recommend it for something different.

    #135734 Quote
    streakygopherstreakygopher
    • Posts: 370
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    HockeyBum wrote:


    I think it’s a few years old, but “If I Leave Here Tomorrow” (Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary) on Netflix was really good. Other than maybe 3 songs and knowing the band was in a plane crash, I didn’t know much about them going into it. You don’t need to be a Skynyrd fan to enjoy this one.

    Maybe this has been mentioned, but the documentary about the Bee Gees, How do You Mend a Broken Heart, was fantastic. I was always a fan of their music from the 60s and early 70s. Of course, they launched into superstardom with Saturday Night Fever in 1977.

    Narrated by the last Bee Gee, Barry Gibb, the story is quite heartwarming and a life lesson of success and failure, the refusal to go away, and the determination it takes to keep getting up off the mat.

    #135735 Quote
    IceburgIceburg
    • Posts: 253
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    streakygopher wrote:


    HockeyBum wrote:


    I think it’s a few years old, but “If I Leave Here Tomorrow” (Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary) on Netflix was really good. Other than maybe 3 songs and knowing the band was in a plane crash, I didn’t know much about them going into it. You don’t need to be a Skynyrd fan to enjoy this one.

    Maybe this has been mentioned, but the documentary about the Bee Gees, How do You Mend a Broken Heart, was fantastic. I was always a fan of their music from the 60s and early 70s. Of course, they launched into superstardom with Saturday Night Fever in 1977.

    Narrated by the last Bee Gee, Barry Gibb, the story is quite heartwarming and a life lesson of success and failure, the refusal to go away, and the determination it takes to keep getting up off the mat.

    I’ve seen the Bee Gees one, have to check out the Skynyrd one sometime soon. Stumbled across this Terry Kath thing done by his daughter. Worth a watch.

    https://youtu.be/f7egJTtz10E

    #135736 Quote
    streakygopherstreakygopher
    • Posts: 370
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Would a “not a Chicago fan at all” enjoy it? :)

    #135737 Quote
    IceburgIceburg
    • Posts: 253
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    streakygopher wrote:


    Would a “not a Chicago fan at all” enjoy it? :)

    Not sure. I don’t think you would need to watch too much to know if it was your cup of tea or not.

    #135738 Quote
    g-manpuckg-manpuck
    • Posts: 397
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I am going to have to make some time to watch it. I am kind of a fan of underrated musicians which Terry Kath is definitely in the top ten if not top five of that list. Thanks for posting this!

    #135743 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Copshop (Netflix disc):

    On the run from a lethal assassin, a wily con artist devises a scheme to hide out inside a small-town police station-but when the hitman turns up at the precinct, an unsuspecting rookie cop finds herself caught in the crosshairs.

    This is a B-movie that tries to be a B-movie, but is not overly egregious. See also: “Bounty Killer,” “Guns, Girls, And Gambling,” etc. It does keep you guessing until the end, on who the lesser evils are. Gerard Butler and Frank Grillo shine in this story, especially Butler. It’s a fun 100 minutes, dancing on your toes, while digesting some bad dialogue and plot twists.

    #135745 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Munich: The Edge Of War (Netflix streaming):

    A British diplomat travels to Munich in the run-up to World War II, where a former classmate of his from Oxford is also en route, but is working for the German government.

    I thought this was a solid movie that leads up to WWII. A document is found, laying out Hitler’s true plans. Based on a true story, it doesn’t seem to deviate from the true story TOO much. The acting is quite good, the emotions come across as very heartful, and not hammed up at all. It’s definitely not a feel-good, heroic story. I’d give it a watch, for sure.

    #135751 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Amandla (Netflix streaming):

    Years after surviving a childhood tragedy, two South African Zulu brothers fall on opposing sides of the law as a gang-linked crime tests their loyalty to one another.

    Quite the drama here. The movie starts when the brothers were children, and builds slowly, until a jumpstart to when they are adults. Then it slows back down, chewing through the older brother’s actions, until the ending, where the final act really bursts open. Not only does this movie touch on blood loyalty, but also deals with the apartheid in that country, and the lives of those living in it.

    It’s very good, but note: the dialogue bounces between English, Afrikaans, and Zulu (subtitles are there, obviously).

    #135754 Quote
    IceburgIceburg
    • Posts: 253
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #135764 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Countdown (Netflix streaming):

    When a nurse downloads an app that claims to predict the moment a person will die, it tells her she only has three days to live. With the clock ticking and a figure haunting her, she must find a way to save her life before time runs out.

    Average to slightly above average horror movie. Involves the paranormal, which was a little disappointing for me, I prefer dark coincidences. However, the concept is solid for an updated cliched plot, and there are suspenseful moments. There are influences from Scream (the kinda quirky character who delivers some funny lines), Halloween (all about the shadows and suspense), and finally Ghost (spirits are going to get you).

    It was entertaining enough to spend 30~ minutes on.

    #135766 Quote
    Steve MNSteve MN
    • Posts: 812
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Special new category for the Razzies this year:

    WORST PERFORMANCE by Bruce Willis in a 2021 movie

    #135767 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The God Committee (Netflix streaming):

    An organ transplant committee has one hour to decide which of three patients deserves a life-saving heart. Seven years later, the committee members struggle with the consequences of that fateful decision.

    Moral issues everywhere. Good watch, and makes you think.. Great cast, 90 minutes, well worth watching. When a movie starts making you ask questions of “What would you do?” And you seriously contemplate those questions, that’s a good one.

    #135768 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    12 Years A Slave (Netflix disc):

    In the antebellum United States, Solomon Northup, a free black man from upstate New York, is abducted and sold into slavery.

    Based on a true story, obvious, this movie is heavy. Some scenes are extended a few seconds too long, and I feel that is on purpose, to make the viewer uncomfortable. Very well done, I will chalk this one up to one I’ll never see again, that’s how powerful this movie is. It will take a lot out of you.

    #135769 Quote
    Bonin21Bonin21
    • Posts: 1565
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Lost Daughter was the biggest waste of time movie watching experience I can remember in a long time.

    #135770 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Passing (Netflix streaming):

    Mixed-race childhood friends reunite in middle class adulthood and become increasingly involved in each other’s lives and insecurities. While Irene identifies as African-American and is married to a Black doctor, Clare “passes” as white and has married a prejudiced, wealthy white man.

    Set in the 1920s and filmed in black-and-white, which was a very nice obvious start, this movie explores the identity factor in “passing as a white,” in that time frame. Some questions arise, quite literally, in the movie. Beyond that, it appears to me that this was made according to the Hays Code rather than the MPAA (the former was predecessor to the latter). I haven’t found much on that aspect, just a gut feeling.

    It’s a slow movie, but that allows you to digest everything at your own pace. What is going on in the minds of the characters, how will they react? Are their thoughts and actions true to themselves? That sort of thing. It’s a good watch.

    #135771 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 497
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Passing (Netflix streaming):

    Mixed-race childhood friends reunite in middle class adulthood and become increasingly involved in each other’s lives and insecurities. While Irene identifies as African-American and is married to a Black doctor, Clare “passes” as white and has married a prejudiced, wealthy white man.

    Set in the 1920s and filmed in black-and-white, which was a very nice obvious start, this movie explores the identity factor in “passing as a white,” in that time frame. Some questions arise, quite literally, in the movie. Beyond that, it appears to me that this was made according to the Hays Code rather than the MPAA (the former was predecessor to the latter). I haven’t found much on that aspect, just a gut feeling.

    It’s a slow movie, but that allows you to digest everything at your own pace. What is going on in the minds of the characters, how will they react? Are their thoughts and actions true to themselves? That sort of thing. It’s a good watch.

    I fell for Ruth Negga in Preacher. She’s fabulous in Passing. The film shows the lengths/depths people will go to in order to fit. What you gain. And what you loss.

    #135772 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Kelly Red wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Passing (Netflix streaming):

    Mixed-race childhood friends reunite in middle class adulthood and become increasingly involved in each other’s lives and insecurities. While Irene identifies as African-American and is married to a Black doctor, Clare “passes” as white and has married a prejudiced, wealthy white man.

    Set in the 1920s and filmed in black-and-white, which was a very nice obvious start, this movie explores the identity factor in “passing as a white,” in that time frame. Some questions arise, quite literally, in the movie. Beyond that, it appears to me that this was made according to the Hays Code rather than the MPAA (the former was predecessor to the latter). I haven’t found much on that aspect, just a gut feeling.

    It’s a slow movie, but that allows you to digest everything at your own pace. What is going on in the minds of the characters, how will they react? Are their thoughts and actions true to themselves? That sort of thing. It’s a good watch.

    I fell for Ruth Negga in Preacher. She’s fabulous in Passing. The film shows the lengths/depths people will go to in order to fit. What you gain. And what you loss.

    The ending was quite the snarky, yet truthful, nod to how things were then, and even now. A very nice touch.

    #135773 Quote
    HockeyBumHockeyBum
    • Posts: 136
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Power of the Dog. What a boring, forgettable, steaming pile of a movie. The only reason I didn’t bail on it was because it’s up for a lot of Academy Awards (which should have been my first clue that it would suck). I kept thinking it had to get better.

    #135774 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    HockeyBum wrote:


    Power of the Dog. What a boring, forgettable, steaming pile of a movie. The only reason I didn’t bail on it was because it’s up for a lot of Academy Awards (which should have been my first clue that it would suck). I kept thinking it had to get better.

    It was a horsesh* movie. Plain and simple.

    #135776 Quote
    BeaunerBeauner
    • Posts: 1009
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #135777 Quote
    Steve MNSteve MN
    • Posts: 812
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Beauner wrote:


    https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1493001362392580098?t=cS2Z16hd8_GWIE00JwOvpg&s=19

    Cannot freaking wait.

    Saw trailer at the bar with no audio, and even that had me telling my friend to shut up for a minute while I watched.

    #135778 Quote
    BeaunerBeauner
    • Posts: 1009
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The easter egg at about 1:17 got me all happy.

    #135779 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I fell asleep during the 1st DS so I guess they couldn’t do worse.

    #135780 Quote
    gopherguy06gopherguy06
    • Posts: 226
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Beauner wrote:


    The easter egg at about 1:17 got me all happy.

    Was that X?

    #135782 Quote
    BeaunerBeauner
    • Posts: 1009
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gopherguy06 wrote:


    Beauner wrote:


    The easter egg at about 1:17 got me all happy.

    Was that X?

    Indeed it was.

    #135783 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Last Night In Soho (Netflix disc):

    An aspiring fashion designer is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters a dazzling wannabe singer. But the glamour is not all it appears to be and the dreams of the past start to crack and splinter into something darker.

    This movie was all sorts of messed up, but I liked it. Things are going in every direction, no clue as to the why, how, where…but it comes together nicely at the end. It’s…a trip of a movie, for sure. Strap in, folks, gonna need that seat belt.

    #135784 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Patsy And Loretta (Netflix streaming)

    An original movie about the friendship between country-music stars Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.

    This is such a Lifetime movie…and when doing the post-viewing research, well it WAS a Lifetime movie. :lol:

    Candy-coated, brisk, blah. Their story is better covered in Ken Burns’ Country mini-series, IIRC.

    #135785 Quote
    Kelly RedKelly Red
    • Posts: 497
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Patsy And Loretta (Netflix streaming)

    An original movie about the friendship between country-music stars Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.

    This is such a Lifetime movie…and when doing the post-viewing research, well it WAS a Lifetime movie. :lol:

    Candy-coated, brisk, blah. Their story is better covered in Ken Burns’ Country mini-series, IIRC.


    :lol: Poor Rube. Lifetime movies? Next it will be Hallmark. You might as well turn in your man card at that point.

    #135786 Quote
    GreyeagleGreyeagle
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1212
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Patsy And Loretta (Netflix streaming)

    An original movie about the friendship between country-music stars Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.

    This is such a Lifetime movie…and when doing the post-viewing research, well it WAS a Lifetime movie. :lol:

    Candy-coated, brisk, blah. Their story is better covered in Ken Burns’ Country mini-series, IIRC.

    Lifetime movie, eh? Which role did Connie Sellecca play? :lol:

    #135787 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Kelly Red wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Patsy And Loretta (Netflix streaming)

    An original movie about the friendship between country-music stars Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.

    This is such a Lifetime movie…and when doing the post-viewing research, well it WAS a Lifetime movie. :lol:

    Candy-coated, brisk, blah. Their story is better covered in Ken Burns’ Country mini-series, IIRC.


    :lol: Poor Rube. Lifetime movies? Next it will be Hallmark. You might as well turn in your man card at that point.

    I didn’t know it was a Lifetime movie until after I saw it! It popped up on Netflix streaming, I like both artists, knew the story, so thought I’d take it for a spin. I just found it hilarious that for once, what felt like a Lifetime movie, actually WAS a Lifetime movie! :lol:

    The King’s Man hitting Fri on HBOMax, though. Can’t wait.

    #135788 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Class Action Park (HBOMax):

    A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

    Think: Valleyfair, but if you DON’T get injured, go buy a lottery ticket.

    This park was insane. I had heard stories, read some stuff, but to see it all put together, wow. How more people didn’t die/end up as vegetables, I’ll never know. Informative, fleshes out the details, etc. Recommend.

    #135789 Quote
    JupiterJupiter
    Admin
    • Posts: 770
    • Bringer of JollityOwner/Creator of Gopher Puck Live
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Class Action Park (HBOMax):

    A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

    Think: Valleyfair, but if you DON’T get injured, go buy a lottery ticket.

    This park was insane. I had heard stories, read some stuff, but to see it all put together, wow. How more people didn’t die/end up as vegetables, I’ll never know. Informative, fleshes out the details, etc. Recommend.


    I am proud to say that I visited Action Park in 1985!!!

    #135790 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Jupiter wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Class Action Park (HBOMax):

    A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

    Think: Valleyfair, but if you DON’T get injured, go buy a lottery ticket.

    This park was insane. I had heard stories, read some stuff, but to see it all put together, wow. How more people didn’t die/end up as vegetables, I’ll never know. Informative, fleshes out the details, etc. Recommend.


    I am proud to say that I visited Action Park in 1985!!!

    And you lived to tell the tale! Not even joking, folks. Jup is a lucky man.

    #135791 Quote
    JupiterJupiter
    Admin
    • Posts: 770
    • Bringer of JollityOwner/Creator of Gopher Puck Live
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Jupiter wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Class Action Park (HBOMax):

    A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

    Think: Valleyfair, but if you DON’T get injured, go buy a lottery ticket.

    This park was insane. I had heard stories, read some stuff, but to see it all put together, wow. How more people didn’t die/end up as vegetables, I’ll never know. Informative, fleshes out the details, etc. Recommend.


    I am proud to say that I visited Action Park in 1985!!!

    And you lived to tell the tale! Not even joking, folks. Jup is a lucky man.


    Was 12… Did most of the water rides and the Alpine slide. For some reason I do not recall the go carts. But it was a long time ago.

    #135792 Quote
    JupiterJupiter
    Admin
    • Posts: 770
    • Bringer of JollityOwner/Creator of Gopher Puck Live
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Jupiter wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Jupiter wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Class Action Park (HBOMax):

    A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

    Think: Valleyfair, but if you DON’T get injured, go buy a lottery ticket.

    This park was insane. I had heard stories, read some stuff, but to see it all put together, wow. How more people didn’t die/end up as vegetables, I’ll never know. Informative, fleshes out the details, etc. Recommend.


    I am proud to say that I visited Action Park in 1985!!!

    And you lived to tell the tale! Not even joking, folks. Jup is a lucky man.


    Was 12… Did most of the water rides and the Alpine slide. For some reason I do not recall the go carts. But it was a long time ago.


    More on why I was in New Jersey…

    My Dad was stationed at Picatinny Arsenal, a military base in New Jersey, so I would visit him in the summer months. I want to say I was there the summer of 81, 84 and 85. Action Park was a short drive north of the base.

    #135793 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 873
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Class Action Park (HBOMax):

    A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

    Think: Valleyfair, but if you DON’T get injured, go buy a lottery ticket.

    This park was insane. I had heard stories, read some stuff, but to see it all put together, wow. How more people didn’t die/end up as vegetables, I’ll never know. Informative, fleshes out the details, etc. Recommend.

    Holy smokes. Thanks for the recommendation on this movie. Absolutely loved it. What a crazy place. Some amazing and some sad stories. Highly recommend

    And congratulations to [mention]Jupiter[/mention] for making it out alive and unhurt.

    #135794 Quote
    Chris83Chris83
    • Posts: 247
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Class Action Park (HBOMax):

    A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

    Think: Valleyfair, but if you DON’T get injured, go buy a lottery ticket.

    This park was insane. I had heard stories, read some stuff, but to see it all put together, wow. How more people didn’t die/end up as vegetables, I’ll never know. Informative, fleshes out the details, etc. Recommend.


    My wife and I watched this a while back. Outstanding stuff. Certainly a real life mirroring of something like Duff Gardens from “The Simpsons”.

Viewing 75 posts - 526 through 600 (of 862 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Portal Forum General General Discussion Movies