Portal Forum General General Discussion Got Beer?

  • This topic has 839 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated Aug 7 at 10:20pm by PatmanPatman.
Viewing 75 posts - 451 through 525 (of 840 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #136331 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I should ask, since it IS this weekend….

    Anyone going to Autumn Brew Review this year? I’ll be there with a couple friends, sporting LTD Gear (go figure! :D ) 85~ breweries, all MN. Back Channel just confirmed they are in, a last minute addition.

    #136332 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    I should ask, since it IS this weekend….

    Anyone going to Autumn Brew Review this year? I’ll be there with a couple friends, sporting LTD Gear (go figure! :D ) 85~ breweries, all MN. Back Channel just confirmed they are in, a last minute addition.

    Nada. Watching hockey takes precedence! :mrgreen: Wish they would move it back to September. Although it was always brutal when it was hot out.

    #136333 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    I should ask, since it IS this weekend….

    Anyone going to Autumn Brew Review this year? I’ll be there with a couple friends, sporting LTD Gear (go figure! :D ) 85~ breweries, all MN. Back Channel just confirmed they are in, a last minute addition.

    I’d like to but I’m sitting this year’s out. The (even likely small) potential of having my 3 year out of school for two weeks over a beer festival isn’t a trade off I’m willing to take this year. Our son’s daycare is so strict about quarantines

    #136334 Quote
    KarlssonKarlsson
    • Posts: 818
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    I should ask, since it IS this weekend….

    Anyone going to Autumn Brew Review this year? I’ll be there with a couple friends, sporting LTD Gear (go figure! :D ) 85~ breweries, all MN. Back Channel just confirmed they are in, a last minute addition.

    I’d like to but I’m sitting this year’s out. The (even likely small) potential of having my 3 year out of school for two weeks over a beer festival isn’t a trade off I’m willing to take this year. Our son’s daycare is so strict about quarantines

    Ditto.

    #136335 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    :good2: Kudos to you guys for thinking about the safety of others!

    #136336 Quote
    VegoeVegoe
    • Posts: 198
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Falling Knife has made it two years and they released a fun one for their party — Screaming for Vengeance which is a 17.7% super imperial stout which was aged nine months in a Heaven Hill barrel and then another nine months in Casanova’s Eagle Rare barrel. I did not get one in their lottery (I think the only sold 40 bottles), but got down to the tasting room for a 3 oz pour which made me wish they made more. It was decadent.

    I also tried their Tree of Woe, which is a big wee heavy, maple syrup barrel aged. It’s very sweet. I think it’d go great with some desserts.

    #136337 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cowgirl wrote:


    :good2: Kudos to you guys for thinking about the safety of others!

    I wish that was the main driver. No one would be happy at my house if we had to have a three year old home from school for two weeks. He would drive us crazy from being out of his routine and trying to manage work commitments (or catch up from extended time out) would be extremely painful. It’s just not worth it.

    #136338 Quote
    KarlssonKarlsson
    • Posts: 818
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Cowgirl wrote:


    :good2: Kudos to you guys for thinking about the safety of others!

    I wish that was the main driver. No one would be happy at my house if we had to have a three year old home from school for two weeks. He would drive us crazy from being out of his routine and trying to manage work commitments (or catch up from extended time out) would be extremely painful. It’s just not worth it.

    Ditto again lol

    #136339 Quote
    fightclub30fightclub30
    • Posts: 223
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Braemar had Lupulin’s Campfire Munchies on tap, so I had one after my round on Sunday. Was a great beer, and a great way to probably end my golf season this year.

    I am not a big stout porter guy, but there are a few I have really liked.

    Waconia’s Peanut Butter Porter and Lupulin’s Lateralus with Coconut and Cocoa being 2 favorites this time of year. Now I can add Lupulin’s Campfire Munchies!

    So I guess when it’s flavored, I like them, when it’s not… I’d rather have an IPA. Haha.

    #136340 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cowgirl wrote:


    :good2: Kudos to you guys for thinking about the safety of others!

    Proof of vaccination is required. According to the site, a recent test is not good enough. And, no kids allowed (the ones not allowed to be vaccinated at this point, anyway, for the most part).

    #136341 Quote
    gopherguy13gopherguy13
    • Posts: 947
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Did the St. Cloud brewery tour before the game today. Back Shed was pretty cool, really nice space, and the beers I had were really solid.

    Pantown was decent, nothing too crazy to write home about, but nothing terrible.

    Beaver Island I was pretty underwhelmed by.

    #136342 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gopherguy13 wrote:


    Did the St. Cloud brewery tour before the game today. Back Shed was pretty cool, really nice space, and the beers I had were really solid.

    Pantown was decent, nothing too crazy to write home about, but nothing terrible.

    Beaver Island I was pretty underwhelmed by.

    I’ve heard good things about Back Shed.

    My neighbor cracked open a 2020 Darkness tonight. I remember being really disappointed in it last year but a year of aging has done wonders for it.

    #136343 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Autumn Brew Review:

    Perfect weather for it. Friends and I bought the early-entry tickets, which worked out nicely, since we could hit the breweries that we thought would have massive lines later on (more on that in a moment). Most of the breweries brought something special, and that is what we were hoping for. Some just brought their normal stuff, and unless we hadn’t had the brewery before, we skipped those.

    The fest also had a designated area for Uber/cabs/Lyft, which made it quite easy when leaving. Hopefully the fest gets back up to the size that it used to be. I think only about 85~ breweries were there this year, instead of the usual 120~.

    About the lines: there were none. Even the “special tapping at Xpm” things never had a backup. I don’t know if it’s because they scaled back the number of tickets sold, or if not as many people decided to buy tickets, or people stayed away because of the Vax Proof requirement, etc. In the end, it was a blast, and I’m looking forward to it next year.

    #136344 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Autumn Brew Review:

    Perfect weather for it. Friends and I bought the early-entry tickets, which worked out nicely, since we could hit the breweries that we thought would have massive lines later on (more on that in a moment). Most of the breweries brought something special, and that is what we were hoping for. Some just brought their normal stuff, and unless we hadn’t had the brewery before, we skipped those.

    The fest also had a designated area for Uber/cabs/Lyft, which made it quite easy when leaving. Hopefully the fest gets back up to the size that it used to be. I think only about 85~ breweries were there this year, instead of the usual 120~.

    About the lines: there were none. Even the “special tapping at Xpm” things never had a backup. I don’t know if it’s because they scaled back the number of tickets sold, or if not as many people decided to buy tickets, or people stayed away because of the Vax Proof requirement, etc. In the end, it was a blast, and I’m looking forward to it next year.

    I hope they get some positive feedback if the crowd size felt good. I do feel like the size of the fest got too big in recent years and it’s more fun with the smaller crowd. Either way I’m planning on going next year

    The one year I’ve been to the Rare Beer Festival they only sold 750 tickets and it never felt crowded at all.

    #136345 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I meant size as in number of breweries. I wish Forager and LTD were there this year. among others. LTD I get, they pulled off 2 block parties within 30ish days of each other, which was a monumental task for them.

    I do think the craft beer crowd has balanced itself a bit, also. People are choosier, and not trying to hit EVERY fest/release/etc. It’s an expensive hobby, if you let it come to that.

    #136346 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1544
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA. I swear the aroma and after sip taste are reminiscent of another certain plant not called hops. :mrgreen:

    #136347 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA. I swear the aroma and after sip taste are reminiscent of another certain plant not called hops. :mrgreen:

    I would concur with that opinion. There are some “dank” IPAs out there, that are similar.

    #136348 Quote
    NormNorm
    • Posts: 405
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    We stopped at Copper Trail in Alexandria last week. They’ve got several good brews there!

    #136349 Quote
    BigbeerBigbeer
    • Posts: 746
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA. I swear the aroma and after sip taste are reminiscent of another certain plant not called hops. :mrgreen:

    I would concur with that opinion. There are some “dank” IPAs out there, that are similar.

    New Belgium made a beer called The Hemperor for a few years and are still making what they call HPAs or at least with that idea in mind. It’s not an accident. I have a good friend who’s a long time NB employee…there will be some big news coming from them soon.

    #136350 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Dark Horse has “Smells Like A Safety Meeting.” FDA would not let them call it “Smells Like Weed.” :D

    #136351 Quote
    KarlssonKarlsson
    • Posts: 818
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Lupulin’s Straight Hash Homie is another. Gets bonus points for the reference with the name.

    #136352 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Karlsson wrote:


    Lupulin’s Straight Hash Homie is another. Gets bonus points for the reference with the name.

    That one is dank as all hell.

    #136353 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 873
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    For those of you who are Facebook friends me you will know that I have a part time job as a tour guide. I take people on food, beer, sightseeing tours of the Twin Cities.

    This Saturday I am taking a bachelorette party to the following breweries that I have never been to. If any of you have, I would appreciate any insights.

    1. Wooden HIll Brewing (Edina)

    2. Boom Island Brewing (Minnetonka)

    3. Unmapped Brewing (Minnetonka)

    Thanks in advance!

    #136354 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    1 and 3 suck for beer. Wooden does have excellent food, though. 2 is okay for beer, they have been improving since they have decided they cannot live on Belgians alone.

    #136355 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    For those of you who are Facebook friends me you will know that I have a part time job as a tour guide. I take people on food, beer, sightseeing tours of the Twin Cities.

    This Saturday I am taking a bachelorette party to the following breweries that I have never been to. If any of you have, I would appreciate any insights.

    1. Wooden HIll Brewing (Edina)

    2. Boom Island Brewing (Minnetonka)

    3. Unmapped Brewing (Minnetonka)

    Thanks in advance!

    What would you like to know? Boom Island has a nice space and they tend to be more Belgian influenced in their styles so you’ll see a few styles you don’t see many other places (Dubbels, Tripels, maybe a Lambic). Belgian beers are well known for having very distinct flavor profiles because of the yeasts they use to make them.

    I personally find Belgian beers very hit and miss because of funkiness I get in the flavors. I wasn’t a huge fan of much they had there (and neither was my non beer geek wife) but if they have their Cuvee on tap (Cuvee de Boom) that would be one to try because it’s beer made in part with white wine grapes that give it a unique flavor.

    I can’t speak personally to Unmapped or Wooden Hill because I don’t know that I’ve had a beer from either of them. I know the beer geek community frequently pans Unmapped but I couldn’t tell you why…and a Bachelorette party probably wouldn’t care what they think anyways.

    #136356 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1544
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Unmapped doesn’t suck at all.

    #136357 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    1 and 3 suck for beer. Wooden does have excellent food, though. 2 is okay for beer, they have been improving since they have decided they cannot live on Belgians alone.

    You’re so much more concise than me. :)

    #136358 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Unmapped got three strikes from me. Visited 3 times, and nada.

    Wooden Hill, had a couple beers from them…their “stout” was a black ale. Couldn’t even categorize the beer correctly.

    Boom, nice space, and what Dave said is correct.

    #136359 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1544
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I’ve tried 2 from Unmapped and enjoyed both. Meh.

    #136360 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Drinking a bottle of Dangerous Man’s Double Blackberry Lassi. It’s a Imperial Dark Sour blackberries and vanilla beans aged in Eagle Rare barrels.

    There’s a lot going on in this beer and in some ways it’s more going on than what you’d normally get in a barrel aged sour. When you smell the beer it smacks you with a very heavy bourbon flavor. The blackberry hits you in the face but the blend of the vanilla and the barrel really blend well together. My wife is not a fan of many beers aged in a bourbon or whiskey barrel and she enjoyed this even though I think the barrel characteristics have become much more pronounced as it warms.

    I’m glad I picked this up…it’s nice to find a BA Sour that’s not from Indeed or Starkeller once in awhile.

    #136361 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    I’ve tried 2 from Unmapped and enjoyed both. Meh.

    Well, you HAVE been out of country for a while… :poke:

    #136362 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1544
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I’ve tried 2 from Unmapped and enjoyed both. Meh.

    Well, you HAVE been out of country for a while… :poke:

    And you’ve gotten a bit full… :poke:

    #136363 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I’ve tried 2 from Unmapped and enjoyed both. Meh.

    Well, you HAVE been out of country for a while… :poke:

    And you’ve gotten a bit full… :poke:

    :lol: Just going by what I’ve experienced.

    #136364 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1544
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I’ve tried 2 from Unmapped and enjoyed both. Meh.

    Well, you HAVE been out of country for a while… :poke:

    And you’ve gotten a bit full… :poke:

    :lol: Just going by what I’ve experienced.

    That’s why you’re so full – you’ve experienced too much. :lol:

    #136365 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I’ve tried 2 from Unmapped and enjoyed both. Meh.

    Well, you HAVE been out of country for a while… :poke:

    And you’ve gotten a bit full… :poke:

    :lol: Just going by what I’ve experienced.

    That’s why you’re so full – you’ve experienced too much. :lol:


    A sample (2oz) = a full pour for a rating. :D

    Maybe you should get out of your house once in a while! :shock: :lol:

    #136366 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1544
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I’ve tried 2 from Unmapped and enjoyed both. Meh.

    Well, you HAVE been out of country for a while… :poke:

    And you’ve gotten a bit full… :poke:

    :lol: Just going by what I’ve experienced.

    That’s why you’re so full – you’ve experienced too much. :lol:


    A sample (2oz) = a full pour for a rating. :D

    Maybe you should get out of your house once in a while! :shock: :lol:

    Maybe you should get over yourself. Just saying. :mrgreen:

    #136367 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I’ve tried 2 from Unmapped and enjoyed both. Meh.

    Well, you HAVE been out of country for a while… :poke:

    And you’ve gotten a bit full… :poke:

    :lol: Just going by what I’ve experienced.

    That’s why you’re so full – you’ve experienced too much. :lol:


    A sample (2oz) = a full pour for a rating. :D

    Maybe you should get out of your house once in a while! :shock: :lol:

    Maybe you should get over yourself. Just saying. :mrgreen:

    Don’t pay attention to me. I’m a rube. ;) Thought that was clear. It’s like Bill Hicks and marketing. No joke here. There is no payoff line. What you see is what you get. :)

    #136368 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 453
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    A 2 oz shot of beer is not worth arguing about, in my opinion.

    #136369 Quote
    fightclub30fightclub30
    • Posts: 223
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    For those of you who are Facebook friends me you will know that I have a part time job as a tour guide. I take people on food, beer, sightseeing tours of the Twin Cities.

    This Saturday I am taking a bachelorette party to the following breweries that I have never been to. If any of you have, I would appreciate any insights.

    1. Wooden HIll Brewing (Edina)

    2. Boom Island Brewing (Minnetonka)

    3. Unmapped Brewing (Minnetonka)

    Thanks in advance!

    Unmapped gets incredibly loud and difficult to have a conversation in. Their best beers are drinkable, some others are not as much, in my opinion.

    Boom Island’s new space is much better, and yes the beers can be very hit and miss but are unique.

    Wooden Hill – I went once. Beer was fine. Haven’t felt compelled to go back.

    For that area, I’d suggest what I am sure any other regular on this thread would;

    Back Channel in Mound – Great space, on the lake, outstanding beer, yard games, a food truck. What more can you ask for

    Steel Toe in St Louis park – A good all-around brewery. Nothing amazing, but never had a bad beer there either. Just good, solid beers.

    But that’s not what you asked… sorry.

    In other news, I have been to Chanhassen Brewing twice. I’d compare it to Wayzata Brew Works, no… I am not kidding. Awful both times. Yet the parking lot is packed both times.

    #136370 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 873
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is a private tour and the locations were picked by the clients so we didn’t have a say in the matter. I was just looking for any kind of information you had.

    I believe Boom Island used to be down in N Mpls. I know we went to that location once on a tour and no one liked it. At that time they had a very narrow range of beer styles and for the general non beer geeks that we cater to you need to have a wider variety. Based on their website it looks like they have a wider variety now.

    #136371 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is a private tour and the locations were picked by the clients so we didn’t have a say in the matter. I was just looking for any kind of information you had.

    I believe Boom Island used to be down in N Mpls. I know we went to that location once on a tour and no one liked it. At that time they had a very narrow range of beer styles and for the general non beer geeks that we cater to you need to have a wider variety. Based on their website it looks like they have a wider variety now.

    Yes they were right off 94 and Broadway

    #136372 Quote
    Steve MNSteve MN
    • Posts: 812
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is a private tour and the locations were picked by the clients so we didn’t have a say in the matter. I was just looking for any kind of information you had.

    I believe Boom Island used to be down in N Mpls. I know we went to that location once on a tour and no one liked it. At that time they had a very narrow range of beer styles and for the general non beer geeks that we cater to you need to have a wider variety. Based on their website it looks like they have a wider variety now.

    Yes they were right off 94 and Broadway

    Which would make sense since Boom Island is the area just south of there (it was actually an island in the past when booms were used to split up the log flows down the river, hence the name)

    #136373 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Boom Island moved due to the violence/crime in the area (that happened after dark). IIRC, Someone got shot in the head, and BI said “That’s enough” and moved to the ‘burbs.

    Note: Brass Foundry was supposed to be in Boom’s current space, but there were some complications at the last moment. Depending on who you talk to, either the city added some stuff, or Brass was simply not prepared to meet the requirements in the first place (BF is contract brewing, currently).

    #136374 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1544
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Went to Luce Line tonight and since I wasn’t driving I fully sampled:

    Oktoberfest: B-

    Great Passage Stout: A

    Cuyana Hard Tail: B

    Foggy Bottom: B+

    #136375 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    Went to Luce Line tonight and since I wasn’t driving I fully sampled:

    Oktoberfest: B-

    Great Passage Stout: A

    Cuyana Hard Tail: B

    Foggy Bottom: B+

    I need to get back there. It’s pretty close to my house and they are making good beer

    #136376 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    Went to Luce Line tonight and since I wasn’t driving I fully sampled:

    Oktoberfest: B-

    Great Passage Stout: A

    Cuyana Hard Tail: B

    Foggy Bottom: B+

    I do like the location. Guarantee lots of people who like beer in that immediate area (for those that don’t know, it’s smack dab in the center of a light industrial area). Haven’t been there, only drove by, and looks like a nice space, especially the patio. Your grades are about what I have heard, and that is good news.

    #136377 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1544
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    Went to Luce Line tonight and since I wasn’t driving I fully sampled:

    Oktoberfest: B-

    Great Passage Stout: A

    Cuyana Hard Tail: B

    Foggy Bottom: B+

    I do like the location. Guarantee lots of people who like beer in that immediate area (for those that don’t know, it’s smack dab in the center of a light industrial area). Haven’t been there, only drove by, and looks like a nice space, especially the patio. Your grades are about what I have heard, and that is good news.

    The only negative is parking although at most you’ll have to walk 50-100 meters.

    #136378 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    Went to Luce Line tonight and since I wasn’t driving I fully sampled:

    Oktoberfest: B-

    Great Passage Stout: A

    Cuyana Hard Tail: B

    Foggy Bottom: B+

    I do like the location. Guarantee lots of people who like beer in that immediate area (for those that don’t know, it’s smack dab in the center of a light industrial area). Haven’t been there, only drove by, and looks like a nice space, especially the patio. Your grades are about what I have heard, and that is good news.

    The only negative is parking although at most you’ll have to walk 50-100 meters.

    Truth. I work about 1/2 mile from there.

    #136379 Quote
    kmdkmd
    • Posts: 26
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Darkness Eve at Stub and Herbs today, though no idea what the tap lineup is.

    #136380 Quote
    Gopherguy05Gopherguy05
    • Posts: 179
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    https://www.taphunter.com/location/stub-and-herbs/6331184171974656

    As of now:

    Founders CBS 2019

    KBS Cinnamon, Vanilla, Cocoa

    Goose Island 2018 BC

    2019 GI BC Cafe De Olla

    Lightbridge Barrel aged Vanilla bean Silhouette

    MODIST BARREL AGED (CACAO/VANILLA) 32 TEETH

    ODELL WHISKEY BARREL AGED LUGENE

    Surly Barrel Aged Darkness 2014, 2017-2019

    Barrel Aged Mole Darkness

    2021 Darkness

    15

    13

    Pentagram

    Toppling Morning Delight

    Bent Paddle 2019 Double shot double black

    #136381 Quote
    VegoeVegoe
    • Posts: 198
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I’ve always enjoyed going to Darkness Day Eve there… but will not make it tonight. The Liftbridge Silhouette is the most under the radar good imperial stout out there in my mind. That Mole Darkness… surprisingly good as I haven’t liked that style until this one came about.

    Pro tip is to order a ‘flight’ of beers if you don’t want to miss out on one. They taste better as they warm up anyway.

    #136382 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Vegoe wrote:


    I’ve always enjoyed going to Darkness Day Eve there… but will not make it tonight. The Liftbridge Silhouette is the most under the radar good imperial stout out there in my mind. That Mole Darkness… surprisingly good as I haven’t liked that style until this one came about.

    Pro tip is to order a ‘flight’ of beers if you don’t want to miss out on one. They taste better as they warm up anyway.

    In the past, when I went to New Bohemia’s Big Bad Beer day, they would limit one beer per person, so at the Golden Valley location, I’d order one at the counter as you walk in, grab a seat, then go to the bar and order another. Letting them warm up as I alternated sipping the two. :wink:

    Tried this year’s Central Waters Black Gold, and it was quite tasty, as always. Thankfully I still have 2 more bombers, plus the choc/marshmallow variant left.

    #136383 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Actually had a couple beers at OC in Duluth before and after the game. Tried the PBR Hard Coffee beer after the game… this a great coffee/dessert type beer. Tried the Cherry Sour from Revelation Ale Works in Hallock, MN for pregame and good as well. My wife even took a couple of sips, liked it and she’s not a drinker.

    #136384 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Surly Darkness has hit the shelves. Hopefully it’s not the raisin-bomb that it was last year (although after a few months, last year’s version balanced out quite a bit).

    #136385 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    [mention]The Rube[/mention], Surly Darkness must be the same concept as Schell’s Snowstorm. The name the same, but the recipe is different every year. Some years it’s a homerun and some years it’s just ok.

    #136386 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    gator wrote:


    @The Rube, Surly Darkness must be the same concept as Schell’s Snowstorm. The name the same, but the recipe is different every year. Some years it’s a homerun and some years it’s just ok.

    Pretty much every special release is like that. Hops/yeasts/malts vary a little from year to year, depending on weather/crops/etc, even though they use the same types every year. They can mute or enhance the different flavors that the beer has. Given how complex a Russian Imperial Stout is, that is not surprising. It also makes having a vertical of said beers quite interesting, to taste the “arc” of how aging the beer changes things. A year or three of aging can make all the difference.

    #136387 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Surly Darkness has hit the shelves. Hopefully it’s not the raisin-bomb that it was last year (although after a few months, last year’s version balanced out quite a bit).

    Mine last year tastes like a bitter licorice bomb. I just had a bottle again a few weeks ago and agree it balanced out really nice…much like what you’d expect from Darkness.

    Snowstorm isn’t really a good comparison though because it’s an entirely different style every year.

    #136388 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    [mention]davescharf[/mention] I must have misunderstood, cause I’ve never had the Darkness that I recall. I thought the Surly Darkness was entirely different each year. As is the Snowstorm. The Surly Darkenss is Russian Imperial Stout all the time.

    #136389 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Hit up Back Channel today…Red Spoon imperial stout (18.75%). WHOA. Had a 5oz, for obvious reasons, but man oh man was it delicious. Dangerously delicious. Does NOT taste as strong as it is…

    #136390 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Hit up Back Channel today…Red Spoon imperial stout (18.75%). WHOA. Had a 5oz, for obvious reasons, but man oh man was it delicious. Dangerously delicious. Does NOT taste as strong as it is…

    I’m going Sunday for Trunk or Treat and I hope this is still around. I really want to try it

    #136391 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Hit up Back Channel today…Red Spoon imperial stout (18.75%). WHOA. Had a 5oz, for obvious reasons, but man oh man was it delicious. Dangerously delicious. Does NOT taste as strong as it is…

    I’m going Sunday for Trunk or Treat and I hope this is still around. I really want to try it

    Should be. Only 20~ people have checked it in so far on Untappd. Lots of heavy beers on tap right now at BC.

    #136392 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Surly Darkness has hit the shelves. Hopefully it’s not the raisin-bomb that it was last year (although after a few months, last year’s version balanced out quite a bit).

    Mine last year tastes like a bitter licorice bomb. I just had a bottle again a few weeks ago and agree it balanced out really nice…much like what you’d expect from Darkness.

    Snowstorm isn’t really a good comparison though because it’s an entirely different style every year.

    Cracked this year’s tonight. Less raisin, a little more cherry. BUT, this is officially a beer you need to let sit. This is 4 years in a row now where it’s too (insert taste) fresh, and the last 3 years have mellowed nicely (obviously don’t know about this year’s). Next year, unless I find it on tap, I won’t even bother opening a fresh bottle.

    #136393 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Surly Darkness has hit the shelves. Hopefully it’s not the raisin-bomb that it was last year (although after a few months, last year’s version balanced out quite a bit).

    Mine last year tastes like a bitter licorice bomb. I just had a bottle again a few weeks ago and agree it balanced out really nice…much like what you’d expect from Darkness.

    Snowstorm isn’t really a good comparison though because it’s an entirely different style every year.

    Cracked this year’s tonight. Less raisin, a little more cherry. BUT, this is officially a beer you need to let sit. This is 4 years in a row now where it’s too (insert taste) fresh, and the last 3 years have mellowed nicely (obviously don’t know about this year’s). Next year, unless I find it on tap, I won’t even bother opening a fresh bottle.

    Thanks for letting me know. I bought two bottles yesterday and thought about cracking one tonight. Maybe I’ll crack one of my older ones instead

    #136394 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Hit up Back Channel today…Red Spoon imperial stout (18.75%). WHOA. Had a 5oz, for obvious reasons, but man oh man was it delicious. Dangerously delicious. Does NOT taste as strong as it is…

    I’m going Sunday for Trunk or Treat and I hope this is still around. I really want to try it

    Should be. Only 20~ people have checked it in so far on Untappd. Lots of heavy beers on tap right now at BC.

    You definitely need the big boy pants for it. It still tastes strong but I really like it as well.

    Edit – the Strokes (Wee Heavy) is also excellent

    #136395 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Hit up Back Channel today…Red Spoon imperial stout (18.75%). WHOA. Had a 5oz, for obvious reasons, but man oh man was it delicious. Dangerously delicious. Does NOT taste as strong as it is…

    I’m going Sunday for Trunk or Treat and I hope this is still around. I really want to try it

    Should be. Only 20~ people have checked it in so far on Untappd. Lots of heavy beers on tap right now at BC.

    You definitely need the big boy pants for it. It still tastes strong but I really like it as well.

    Edit – the Strokes (Wee Heavy) is also excellent

    Per the membership email I received yesterday:

    Lastly, because we love you all so much, as a BONUS bottle – we are filling up another special .375mL bottle of one of our big dogs that has been received so well by everyone. Red Spoon – Imperial Stout (18.75%) is the ultimate fat guy in a little coat, and it’ll be all yours in a tiny bottle soon.

    :dance:

    #136396 Quote
    fightclub30fightclub30
    • Posts: 223
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:

    Per the membership email I received yesterday:

    Lastly, because we love you all so much, as a BONUS bottle – we are filling up another special .375mL bottle of one of our big dogs that has been received so well by everyone. Red Spoon – Imperial Stout (18.75%) is the ultimate fat guy in a little coat, and it’ll be all yours in a tiny bottle soon.

    :dance:

    .375mL? That is a TINY bottle… Don’t drink it all at once! I think you’d need a syringe. :lol:

    #136397 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    fightclub30 wrote:


    The Rube wrote:

    Per the membership email I received yesterday:

    Lastly, because we love you all so much, as a BONUS bottle – we are filling up another special .375mL bottle of one of our big dogs that has been received so well by everyone. Red Spoon – Imperial Stout (18.75%) is the ultimate fat guy in a little coat, and it’ll be all yours in a tiny bottle soon.

    :dance:

    .375mL? That is a TINY bottle… Don’t drink it all at once! I think you’d need a syringe. :lol:

    Pretty sure that decimal point was a typo in the email. :wink:

    #136398 Quote
    g-manpuckg-manpuck
    • Posts: 397
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Last night I tried this year’s Schells Snowstorm since someone blew the Oktoberfest keg last weekend at The Loose Moose…wasn’t me this year. Anyway this year Snowstorm is a confusing beer if you read their description on their website.

    Quote:

    As every Midwesterner knows, no two snowstorms are ever alike and that’s what makes this brew so special. This year’s Oat Starkbier is a malt-driven dark lager meant for the coldest of winter nights. The creamy mouthfeel from the oats smooths out the toasty notes, amplifying the rich Munich malt before a crisp finish

    That’s the description on the heading above that it is listing as an Oat Stout. After doing a quick Google search about what a starkbier is, the interwebs list that starkbiers are mostly bocks.

    So, here is my confusion. They list it as a stout, describe it as a dark lager, but market it as a oat starkbier which is a bock. So then when the glass of beer comes to me it doesn’t look like a stout or a dark lager, it’s lighter in color than Firebrick. Now it does drink similar to Firebrick but has a different finish to it but not better than Firebrick.

    I am very underwhelmed with this Snowstorm. I have truly liked their darker versions of this in the past over this version. It’s not a drain pour but when faced with the choice of Firebrick or Snowstorm this winter, I will choose Firebrick 9 out of 10 times over Snowstorm.

    I now will be eagerly waiting the arrival of Bock season.

    #136399 Quote
    NormNorm
    • Posts: 405
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    g-manpuck wrote:


    Last night I tried this year’s Schells Snowstorm since someone blew the Oktoberfest keg last weekend at The Loose Moose…wasn’t me this year. Anyway this year Snowstorm is a confusing beer if you read their description on their website.

    Quote:

    As every Midwesterner knows, no two snowstorms are ever alike and that’s what makes this brew so special. This year’s Oat Starkbier is a malt-driven dark lager meant for the coldest of winter nights. The creamy mouthfeel from the oats smooths out the toasty notes, amplifying the rich Munich malt before a crisp finish

    That’s the description on the heading above that it is listing as an Oat Stout. After doing a quick Google search about what a starkbier is, the interwebs list that starkbiers are mostly bocks.

    So, here is my confusion. They list it as a stout, describe it as a dark lager, but market it as a oat starkbier which is a bock. So then when the glass of beer comes to me it doesn’t look like a stout or a dark lager, it’s lighter in color than Firebrick. Now it does drink similar to Firebrick but has a different finish to it but not better than Firebrick.

    I am very underwhelmed with this Snowstorm. I have truly liked their darker versions of this in the past over this version. It’s not a drain pour but when faced with the choice of Firebrick or Snowstorm this winter, I will choose Firebrick 9 out of 10 times over Snowstorm.

    I now will be eagerly waiting the arrival of Bock season.

    Hmm. Google says Starkbier is brewed for early spring consumption. :conf2:

    I’m gonna buy some anyway just because.

    #136400 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Got lucky this week and found a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias. Had a small sample the other night, and it is once again glorious.

    The description:

    This vintage is a blend of batches, some aged up to 28 years in a variety of barrels. The ’21 recipe includes Utopias aged in Buffalo Trace, Carcavelos, Madeira, Ruby Port, Scotch, Sherry Oloroso, Sauternes casks, finished on Balaton Cherries.

    The cherries really make this version pop.

    #136401 Quote
    BigbeerBigbeer
    • Posts: 746
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Got lucky this week and found a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias. Had a small sample the other night, and it is once again glorious.

    The description:

    This vintage is a blend of batches, some aged up to 28 years in a variety of barrels. The ’21 recipe includes Utopias aged in Buffalo Trace, Carcavelos, Madeira, Ruby Port, Scotch, Sherry Oloroso, Sauternes casks, finished on Balaton Cherries.

    The cherries really make this version pop.

    I know of a store that may have a bottle available for sale if you’re interested, let me know

    #136402 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bigbeer wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Got lucky this week and found a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias. Had a small sample the other night, and it is once again glorious.

    The description:

    This vintage is a blend of batches, some aged up to 28 years in a variety of barrels. The ’21 recipe includes Utopias aged in Buffalo Trace, Carcavelos, Madeira, Ruby Port, Scotch, Sherry Oloroso, Sauternes casks, finished on Balaton Cherries.

    The cherries really make this version pop.

    I know of a store that may have a bottle available for sale if you’re interested, let me know

    I do NOT need to spend $$ for another bottle. :lol: :wink:

    #136403 Quote
    kmdkmd
    • Posts: 26
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Went to LynLake yesterday, and they have an insanely good raspberry/coffee/lactose sour. Heavy coffee on the nose, but then drinks like a chocolate-covered raspberry. Their peanut butter porter was unfortunately a dud.

    #136404 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    g-manpuck wrote:


    Last night I tried this year’s Schells Snowstorm since someone blew the Oktoberfest keg last weekend at The Loose Moose…wasn’t me this year. Anyway this year Snowstorm is a confusing beer if you read their description on their website.

    Quote:

    As every Midwesterner knows, no two snowstorms are ever alike and that’s what makes this brew so special. This year’s Oat Starkbier is a malt-driven dark lager meant for the coldest of winter nights. The creamy mouthfeel from the oats smooths out the toasty notes, amplifying the rich Munich malt before a crisp finish

    I am very underwhelmed with this Snowstorm. I have truly liked their darker versions of this in the past over this version.

    Tried this last night. I concur. It’s purely meh.

    #136405 Quote
    gopherguy13gopherguy13
    • Posts: 947
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Anyone tried 2021 Darkness yet? Grabbed one on a whim while I was at the liquor store this morning.

Viewing 75 posts - 451 through 525 (of 840 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Portal Forum General General Discussion Got Beer?