Portal Forum General General Discussion Got Beer?

  • This topic has 840 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated Aug 8 at 11:53am by Slap ShotSlap Shot.
Viewing 75 posts - 301 through 375 (of 841 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #136180 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Had a Fulton on the flight from LAX to MSP – only my 2nd can/bottle of American micro the past 7 years. :shock:

    #136181 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Beer laws in Utah are strange even by our standards in MN. I can buy 4 packs to go at a brewery but they have a strict 2 sample 2 oz. pour) per person rule. I don’t know if this is everywhere but the only liquor store in Moab is state owned too.

    #136182 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Beer laws in Utah are strange even by our standards in MN. I can buy 4 packs to go at a brewery but they have a strict 2 sample 2 oz. pour) per person rule. I don’t know if this is everywhere but the only liquor store in Moab is state owned too.

    SLC Punk (movie) has a great scene/sequence mentioning the Utah laws.

    I think there still is a law that states you cannot make a mixed drink in a bar/restaurant in plain sight, lest children see it.

    #136183 Quote
    fightclub30fightclub30
    • Posts: 223
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    Beer laws in Utah are strange even by our standards in MN. I can buy 4 packs to go at a brewery but they have a strict 2 sample 2 oz. pour) per person rule. I don’t know if this is everywhere but the only liquor store in Moab is state owned too.

    SLC Punk (movie) has a great scene/sequence mentioning the Utah laws.

    I think there still is a law that states you cannot make a mixed drink in a bar/restaurant in plain sight, lest children see it.

    That was the “Zion Curtain” according to locals when we went there in 2018, but it is starting to disappear at a lot of places. The local beer selection leaves a lot to be desired, and most local restaurants had very few options besides the macro breweries for beer. I think when we went there were only about 30 craft breweries in Utah.

    There was a brewery just outside of Zion NP in Springdale that was decent. Nothing to write home about, but probably the best beer we had while there. Moab brewing was not good, for my palette anyway.

    I was just down in Pinehurst for a buddies trip. You can buy beer, wine, and mixers at the grocery store. If you want the hard stuff, you have to go into a state owned “ABC Store” (Adult beverage center). Which were always non-descript buildings. And there you couldn’t find beer, wine, or mixers. Some what inconvenient if you ask me… I don’t mind Minnesota’s find it all in one place.

    #136184 Quote
    NormNorm
    • Posts: 405
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Brewery observations from Utah 2017:

    1.Moab Brewing sucked

    2. Zion Canyon Brewing rocked

    #136185 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    ABC is “Alcohol, Beer, Cigarettes.” ;) At least that’s the saying.

    #136186 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Norm wrote:


    Brewery observations from Utah 2017:

    1.Moab Brewing sucked

    2. Zion Canyon Brewing rocked

    Moab Brewing was OK. Nothing overly fancy. We are heading to Zion tomorrow and may go to Zion Canyon.

    My wife and I tried beer from Saltfire tonight and they were probably the best beers we’ve had on the trip. I haven’t been overly impressed with anything though, although I’m not surprised by that

    We went to pickup some local wine tonight after dinner and the one liquor store in Moab is only open 12-6. Guess we won’t be doing that now

    #136187 Quote
    fightclub30fightclub30
    • Posts: 223
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Norm wrote:


    Brewery observations from Utah 2017:

    1.Moab Brewing sucked

    2. Zion Canyon Brewing rocked

    Moab Brewing was OK. Nothing overly fancy. We are heading to Zion tomorrow and may go to Zion Canyon.

    My wife and I tried beer from Saltfire tonight and they were probably the best beers we’ve had on the trip. I haven’t been overly impressed with anything though, although I’m not surprised by that

    We went to pickup some local wine tonight after dinner and the one liquor store in Moab is only open 12-6. Guess we won’t be doing that now

    Be in the park by 8:00 or earlier. If you aren’t – you are unlikely to find parking.

    I hope your visit is better than our 3 day experience. 5 or 6 of the more popular trails (including Angel’s Landing) were closed from a recent rain event that had happened. So the trails we did do, Observation Point, Canyon Overlook, Hidden Canyon, and The Narrows were cheek-to-cheek hiking practically. Not really what I look for in a NP experience. Yosemite, for example, is setup better (in my opinion anyway) to handle the crowds it sees. The parks in Utah are not. There are numerous articles online about the “Mighty Five” Ad campaign working “too well” and those parks are being crushed with visitation numbers.

    Good luck and enjoy!

    #136188 Quote
    NormNorm
    • Posts: 405
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    fightclub30 wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    Norm wrote:


    Brewery observations from Utah 2017:

    1.Moab Brewing sucked

    2. Zion Canyon Brewing rocked

    Moab Brewing was OK. Nothing overly fancy. We are heading to Zion tomorrow and may go to Zion Canyon.

    My wife and I tried beer from Saltfire tonight and they were probably the best beers we’ve had on the trip. I haven’t been overly impressed with anything though, although I’m not surprised by that

    We went to pickup some local wine tonight after dinner and the one liquor store in Moab is only open 12-6. Guess we won’t be doing that now

    Be in the park by 8:00 or earlier. If you aren’t – you are unlikely to find parking.

    I hope your visit is better than our 3 day experience. 5 or 6 of the more popular trails (including Angel’s Landing) were closed from a recent rain event that had happened. So the trails we did do, Observation Point, Canyon Overlook, Hidden Canyon, and The Narrows were cheek-to-cheek hiking practically. Not really what I look for in a NP experience. Yosemite, for example, is setup better (in my opinion anyway) to handle the crowds it sees. The parks in Utah are not. There are numerous articles online about the “Mighty Five” Ad campaign working “too well” and those parks are being crushed with visitation numbers.

    Good luck and enjoy!

    We really liked the Riverside Walk at Zion. Small crowds in October though.

    #136189 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I cannot recall if I had Obsidian Stout before I moved out of the U.S. but regardless I’m having one tonight and I quite enjoy it.

    We some apps at Kip’s and their dry rub wings were great, but the service was not wonderful. Granted the place was very busy as the hotel was filled with people in town for a hockey tournament, but still I thought the service could have been a bit more attentive. I think the one beer I had was a Voyageur IPA and it was a nice compliment to the food.

    #136190 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I’ve only been to Kip’s twice, but it was dead both times. I like how they brought the bar over from Ireland (in pieces, obviously) and when I was last there, a guy ordered “a pint of coffee,” and they knew what he meant (Guinness). I think service prob suffered due to staffing. Some places have put up signs asking for patience, due to understaffing. It’s crazy right now.

    #136191 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    I cannot recall if I had Obsidian Stout before I moved out of the U.S. but regardless I’m having one tonight and I quite enjoy it.

    We some apps at Kip’s and their dry rub wings were great, but the service was not wonderful. Granted the place was very busy as the hotel was filled with people in town for a hockey tournament, but still I thought the service could have been a bit more attentive. I think the one beer I had was a Voyageur IPA and it was a nice compliment to the food.

    Not far from there is Lat14 and their Thai Basil wings are as good as any wings in town.

    #136192 Quote
    SunboneSunbone
    • Posts: 97
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I cannot recall if I had Obsidian Stout before I moved out of the U.S. but regardless I’m having one tonight and I quite enjoy it.

    We some apps at Kip’s and their dry rub wings were great, but the service was not wonderful. Granted the place was very busy as the hotel was filled with people in town for a hockey tournament, but still I thought the service could have been a bit more attentive. I think the one beer I had was a Voyageur IPA and it was a nice compliment to the food.

    Not far from there is Lat14 and their Thai Basil wings are as good as any wings in town.

    Seconded on the wings at Lat 14. Interesting cocktail options as well.

    #136193 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Just got back from our trip to Utah. The beer was just OK (which isn’t too surprising) except we tried a couple beers from Saltfire brewing at a restaurant one night, one of which was a dirty chai stout that was good enough to convince us to stop at the taproom to buy some of their beer to bring home. I’m drinking a Baltic Porter from them right now and it’s probably the only ‘fantastic’ beer I had on my entire trip. I’m regretting not buying more of it, but if you’re out that way I’d highly recommend checking them out.

    I am curious to try a couple of BA Sours I got at a small brewery in Idaho Springs CO on my way out. One is red wine/sherry barrel aged and the other is the same beer aged in a Tawny Port barrel.

    #136195 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #136194 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Apparently the Gant Lifter has returned to Back Channel. DIPA. The name is a classic. Think about it. :D

    It’s quite a good beer, to be honest.

    #136196 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Picked up this today: Blackstack brewing Miracle Of Birth Center DIPA 4 PK Cans, Our hand-selected Strata and Talus and a dash of milk sugar,

    Also: Double BA Iced Barleywine from Untitled Art:

    To create this beast, we brewed a full-bodied Barleywine and aged it for a year in Woodford Reserve Bourbon barrels . Then we harnessed the powers of our frigid Wisconsin Winters by setting the filled whisky barrels outside to concentrate that barleywine goodness. It was then transferred into new Woodford Reserve Bourbon barrels to age and mellow for an additional 18 months! What that means is you get some well-conditioned barleywine dripping of caramel and bourbon.

    Looking forward to both of them. That barleywine should be SICK.

    #136197 Quote
    OrionOrion
    • Posts: 136
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Just had two cans from Drastic Measures explode in my cupboard. One leaked while the other literally blew up and coated everything in beer. Not happy.

    #136198 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Orion wrote:


    Just had two cans from Drastic Measures explode in my cupboard. One leaked while the other literally blew up and coated everything in beer. Not happy.

    Which ones were they?

    #136199 Quote
    OrionOrion
    • Posts: 136
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Orion wrote:


    Just had two cans from Drastic Measures explode in my cupboard. One leaked while the other literally blew up and coated everything in beer. Not happy.

    Which ones were they?

    Poontang fruited sour. It was middle of the road. I’m more upset with the mess. I had a Junkyard Peter leak on me once but never had one literally explode. The tab ripped open and only a third of the beer was left in the can.

    #136200 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The fruit beers, yep, have to be really careful with them. One guy in a group I’m in had a raspberry crowler explode all over his white kitchen. Looked like a murder scene.

    Must keep cold at all times, until you open them, doesn’t matter bottles or cans. Even then, it’s a risk. I haven’t had one explode (yet), but I’ve had a couple that just start foaming like it was shaken before opened.

    #136201 Quote
    gatorgator
    • Posts: 1012
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I miss beer, miss Nordeast and all these new “gimmick” style of beers. Though for my health and my family it’s best for me to cut down my beer consumption down to about 1% at best of what I use to drink.

    #136202 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Gotta do what is best for you and your family. I have had a couple friends choose the same path in the last year or two.

    #136203 Quote
    Steve MNSteve MN
    • Posts: 812
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Gotta do what is best for you and your family. I have had a couple friends choose the same path in the last year or two.

    So true. What is the best choice for each of us can be so different, but, everyone needs to do what’s best for themself and their family.

    #136204 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I am so glad every day that I don’t have children….. :mrgreen:

    You all should be thankful too. (That I don’t have children).

    #136205 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Helped catalog a friend’s beer cellar today. 539 unique beers, 1296 cans/bottles total, but NOT including all the Black Is Beautiful beers (100+ unique). Took 4 of us 6+ hours. Had:

    A typist to put together the spreadsheet.

    The owner to unload the boxes.

    I read the info off to the typist and re-packed

    4th guy marked the bottles with a year-date if it wasn’t on the can/bottle, and researched the year on the ‘net as a last resort.

    And of course, we all bought some stuff off the owner. Not much, but some nice finds.

    That was a bit of a task.

    #136206 Quote
    gopherguy06gopherguy06
    • Posts: 226
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Helped catalog a friend’s beer cellar today. 539 unique beers, 1296 cans/bottles total, but NOT including all the Black Is Beautiful beers (100+ unique). Took 4 of us 6+ hours. Had:

    A typist to put together the spreadsheet.

    The owner to unload the boxes.

    I read the info off to the typist and re-packed

    4th guy marked the bottles with a year-date if it wasn’t on the can/bottle, and researched the year on the ‘net as a last resort.

    And of course, we all bought some stuff off the owner. Not much, but some nice finds.

    That was a bit of a task.

    What all did you buy and drink?

    That’s quite the collection.

    #136210 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    One person bought an OLD Mikkeller, when he was in this market years ago, and only selling single cans/bottles, forget the name, and a Hoppin’ Frog 8oz can of QORIS The Quasher (Quad Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout).

    I bought the QORIS (reg and BA) cans, and a 2017 Bell’s Black Note. IF it’s for sale (owner still debating), I am first in line to buy the 2018 Surly Rum Barrel Aged Darkness Variant.

    He did have one bottle of the 2007 Darkness (first year they were made, IIRC). We all know it’s going to taste like cardboard at this point, but cool find.

    Majority of his stuff is 2014+. Some 2012 barleywines in there, etc, though.

    If I have to search for another canning/bottling date code in the next 2 months, though, it’ll be way too soon.

    Edit: We DRANK a 2015-2020 Darkness vertical, and shared an Oscar Blues BA Ten Fidy stovepipe can. All were good.

    #136209 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Most of what we did yesterday. The shelves go 6 deep on bottles.

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-usVAkXIAEiVDw?format=jpg&name=medium" />

    #136208 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Tried a few newer items for me since being home:

    Straight Outta Amherst by Central Waters. Imperial Double. 3.7/5

    Fulton Oktoberfest. 3.5

    North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial. 4

    Surly Axe Man. 4

    And reconnected with an old friend, Chimay Red. 4.5!!

    Oh and the Philippines needs Total Wine!! :mrgreen:

    #136207 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    Tried a few newer items for me since being home:

    Straight Outta Amherst by Central Waters. Imperial Double. 3.7/5

    Fulton Oktoberfest. 3.5

    North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial. 4

    Surly Axe Man. 4

    And reconnected with an old friend, Chimay Red. 4.5!!

    Oh and the Philippines needs Total Wine!! :mrgreen:

    Regular Old Rasputin is a forgotten classic. Top notch beer.

    Axe Man sucks, even giving leeway for the style.

    And F Total Wine. I will never spend a dollar there. Ever.

    #136211 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    Tried a few newer items for me since being home:

    Straight Outta Amherst by Central Waters. Imperial Double. 3.7/5

    Fulton Oktoberfest. 3.5

    North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial. 4

    Surly Axe Man. 4

    And reconnected with an old friend, Chimay Red. 4.5!!

    Oh and the Philippines needs Total Wine!! :mrgreen:

    Regular Old Rasputin is a forgotten classic. Top notch beer.

    Axe Man sucks, even giving leeway for the style.

    And F Total Wine. I will never spend a dollar there. Ever.

    Okay then.

    #136212 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    This is because Total Wine has begun using their size to make life difficult for the small independent liquor stores. Princeton’s is a great shop but they do get a lot less of certain things because TW buys up entire allocations of things from distributors.

    I personally will go to TW when I can’t find something at my local shops, but it’s kind of a last resort thing because I want to support the little guys

    #136213 Quote
    GreyeagleGreyeagle
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1212
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    85% of my purchases are at Midway Liquor in St. Paul, great store and better family.

    I do go to Total Wine on occasion and primarily for wine I cant find elsewhere. A good example is Gordon Estate (or Gordon Brothers for older vintages), it’s my cousins WA winery and the only local place I’ve found that carries their brand. Jeff & Vickie have been very complementary of Total Wine and how they, as a producer, have been treated by them. If you’re looking to try something on the grape side of the aisle they really do a nice job!

    https://www.gordonwines.com/

    #136214 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I get the little guy argument, but remember where I currently live and then imagine that my liquor buying options are garbage.

    #136215 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    I get the little guy argument, but remember where I currently live and then imagine that my liquor buying options are garbage.

    I get that, and if I had little to no choice, I’d do the same. Thankfully, I do have a multitude of choices. There are certain stores that get Brewery X, but not Brewery Y, etc, around my area, that’s about the only trouble I run into.

    #136216 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I get the little guy argument, but remember where I currently live and then imagine that my liquor buying options are garbage.

    I get that, and if I had little to no choice, I’d do the same. Thankfully, I do have a multitude of choices. There are certain stores that get Brewery X, but not Brewery Y, etc, around my area, that’s about the only trouble I run into.

    I have s**t for choices where I live. There are some local micros but they don’t sell bottles or growlers – you can only drink their beer at their place. Local stores mostly carry pilsners and lagers, Heineken, Bud, maybe some German stuff. Not 100 different micros. Our version of Costco has maybe at most 3 or 4 micro beers. There is all kinds of variety for wine and alcohol but not for beer in my province. In Manila it’s much better. When at my parents I typically will buy from Tonka Bottle Shop but my dad said I should try out TW and I did, and when I walked in and saw the prices, saw the humidor, the layout, the walk-in cooler I was impressed. I don’t need to be beer snobbed because I’ve been living in a micro-beer hellhole for 7 years. :D

    #136217 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I get the little guy argument, but remember where I currently live and then imagine that my liquor buying options are garbage.

    I get that, and if I had little to no choice, I’d do the same. Thankfully, I do have a multitude of choices. There are certain stores that get Brewery X, but not Brewery Y, etc, around my area, that’s about the only trouble I run into.

    I have s**t for choices where I live. There are some local micros but they don’t sell bottles or growlers – you can only drink their beer at their place. Local stores mostly carry pilsners and lagers, Heineken, Bud, maybe some German stuff. Not 100 different micros. Our version of Costco has maybe at most 3 or 4 micro beers. There is all kinds of variety for wine and alcohol but not for beer in my province. In Manila it’s much better. When at my parents I typically will buy from Tonka Bottle Shop but my dad said I should try out TW and I did, and when I walked in and saw the prices, saw the humidor, the layout, the walk-in cooler I was impressed. I don’t need to be beer snobbed because I’ve been living in a micro-beer hellhole for 7 years. :D

    Not beer snobbing you. :) I’d just rather pay the extra $2-$3 to a local store that is carrying what I want. TW really makes their money on their house brands, from what I know.

    #136218 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Slap Shot wrote:


    I get the little guy argument, but remember where I currently live and then imagine that my liquor buying options are garbage.

    I get that, and if I had little to no choice, I’d do the same. Thankfully, I do have a multitude of choices. There are certain stores that get Brewery X, but not Brewery Y, etc, around my area, that’s about the only trouble I run into.

    I have s**t for choices where I live. There are some local micros but they don’t sell bottles or growlers – you can only drink their beer at their place. Local stores mostly carry pilsners and lagers, Heineken, Bud, maybe some German stuff. Not 100 different micros. Our version of Costco has maybe at most 3 or 4 micro beers. There is all kinds of variety for wine and alcohol but not for beer in my province. In Manila it’s much better. When at my parents I typically will buy from Tonka Bottle Shop but my dad said I should try out TW and I did, and when I walked in and saw the prices, saw the humidor, the layout, the walk-in cooler I was impressed. I don’t need to be beer snobbed because I’ve been living in a micro-beer hellhole for 7 years. :D

    Not beer snobbing you. :) I’d just rather pay the extra $2-$3 to a local store that is carrying what I want.

    Those are contradictory statements and I don’t have that choice, Brent. This isn’t about you. This is about me articulating how bad it is for me where I live and I was having fun saying I’d like to have options I don’t currently have.

    Oh and nyah nyah!: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/138735/

    :mrgreen:

    #136219 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I am agreeing that in your situation, I would hit up TW also. :beerchug: I am not in your situation, along with many others, therefore, no TW for me.

    And Axe Man, IF you like that style, has been rated high. I don’t like that particular style. Heck, Cantillon is the top beer of that style in the world, and I’m rather meh on it. There is a difference between quality, and what one likes. BTW, I can’t stand Beer Advocate. Baltika Nine is rated higher than Budweiser, and that just isn’t right. Heavy prejudice against big time macros on that site.

    #136220 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    I am agreeing that in your situation, I would hit up TW also. :beerchug: I am not in your situation, along with many others, therefore, no TW for me.

    And Axe Man, IF you like that style, has been rated high. I don’t like that particular style. Heck, Cantillon is the top beer of that style in the world, and I’m rather meh on it. There is a difference between quality, and what one likes. BTW, I can’t stand Beer Advocate. Baltika Nine is rated higher than Budweiser, and that just isn’t right. Heavy prejudice against big time macros on that site.

    That’s not how you originally replied to me, again my post was not about you, and I only referenced BA because you said Axe Man sucks and not because I think they’re the definitive voice on beer. But apparently a lot of people do like it so saying it “sucks” might be the wrong way to go about it as opposed to just stating it’s not for you. Carry on. :)

    #136221 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I should have clarified Axe Man, and that’s on me. :oops:

    #136222 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    :drinkingbuddy:

    #136223 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    :drinkingbuddy:

    :drinks2:

    #136224 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Went boating with my parents on Minnetonka today and stoped at Back Channel. Ran into The Rube and Luckygirl at the bar while ordering.

    The Marzen was excellent as was their new fruited Berliner.

    #136225 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Went to St. Peter today with my dad and brother for the Gustie FB game and on the way back we stopped at the Jordan Taproom. I tried the Modist False Pattern NEPA which was solid. Nothing Earth shattering but I would recommend.

    I then had the Lexington Kentucky Bourban Barrell Ale. I don’t want to go overboard here. And it’s not the best beer I’ve ever had, but for whatever reason that beer on tap today was the most enjoyable beer experience I’ve had in quite some time. I really hope I can find it in a store locally and bring some home.

    The menu looked solid but we didn’t have time to stay and eat. Nice place though and the staff was outstanding.

    #136226 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Went boating with my parents on Minnetonka today and stoped at Back Channel. Ran into The Rube and Luckygirl at the bar while ordering.

    The Marzen was excellent as was their new fruited Berliner.

    Stopped back at BC on the way home from the BC event LuckyGirl and I attended to pick up crowlers. She got the Pride Pie’n, and I did pick up that Marzen.

    There were four tents at the event, according to styles, 5 breweries (Back Channel, Drekker, 1840, Mikerphone, and Lua). Mainly bounced back and forth between the stout and sour (fruit bomb style) tents.

    The best beers IMO were Mikerphone’s Softly Spoken Lies: Heaven Hill BA Double Milk Stout w/cinnamon, cocoa nibs, and vanilla; the other was Back Channel’s Pride Trick Pony (almost a push-pop style Berliner), similar to their Pride Pie’n on tap at the brewery, but more of an orange-y flavor. The latter was a one-off just for this event, although everyone we talked to was encouraging BC to make a full batch to put on tap.

    The worst was Mikerphone’s crushcrushcrush Pineapple Milkshake IPA w/Vanilla. 5-6 of us smelled it, half said pineapple, the other half said pineapple-scented urine. And I do mean urine. It tasted worse than it smelled. As a group, united effort, we couldn’t finish ONE sample of 4 oz. It was bad.

    #136227 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    Went boating with my parents on Minnetonka today and stoped at Back Channel. Ran into The Rube and Luckygirl at the bar while ordering.

    The Marzen was excellent as was their new fruited Berliner.

    Stopped back at BC on the way home from the BC event LuckyGirl and I attended to pick up crowlers. She got the Pride Pie’n, and I did pick up that Marzen.

    There were four tents at the event, according to styles, 5 breweries (Back Channel, Drekker, 1840, Mikerphone, and Lua). Mainly bounced back and forth between the stout and sour (fruit bomb style) tents.

    The best beers IMO were Mikerphone’s Softly Spoken Lies: Heaven Hill BA Double Milk Stout w/cinnamon, cocoa nibs, and vanilla; the other was Back Channel’s Pride Trick Pony (almost a push-pop style Berliner), similar to their Pride Pie’n on tap at the brewery, but more of an orange-y flavor. The latter was a one-off just for this event, although everyone we talked to was encouraging BC to make a full batch to put on tap.

    The worst was Mikerphone’s crushcrushcrush Pineapple Milkshake IPA w/Vanilla. 5-6 of us smelled it, half said pineapple, the other half said pineapple-scented urine. And I do mean urine. It tasted worse than it smelled. As a group, united effort, we couldn’t finish ONE sample of 4 oz. It was bad.

    I completely forgot we got the Imperial Porter too. That also was excellent but my wife has been raving about it since we left there.

    We on,y picked up two crowlers since we are going breweryhopping in Duluth next week. I suspect we will bring a few more home from there

    #136228 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Central Waters’ Black Gold tickets went on sale tonight. Snagged one, thankfully. Site crashed last year. Bonus: have a mule, so I don’t have to make the trip (and CW is encouraging proxies). 4 bottles of the regular, and 1 bottle of the Marshmallow Fudge Cookie variant, $107 for the ticket, after tax/fees/whatever.

    #136229 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Central Waters’ Black Gold tickets went on sale tonight. Snagged one, thankfully. Site crashed last year. Bonus: have a mule, so I don’t have to make the trip (and CW is encouraging proxies). 4 bottles of the regular, and 1 bottle of the Marshmallow Fudge Cookie variant, $107 for the ticket, after tax/fees/whatever.

    Black Gold is such a fantastic beer.

    #136230 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I chose to give up a regular Gold as payment for muling, no biggie, still a good deal at $27/bottle overall, after mule payment.

    Surly Fifteen is out, prob will buy a can. Grand Cru, which I’m always on the fence about. It could be great, it could suck. I dunno. In the biz, we call that “FOR SCIENCE!” ;)

    #136231 Quote
    VegoeVegoe
    • Posts: 198
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    I chose to give up a regular Gold as payment for muling, no biggie, still a good deal at $27/bottle overall, after mule payment.

    Surly Fifteen is out, prob will buy a can. Grand Cru, which I’m always on the fence about. It could be great, it could suck. I dunno. In the biz, we call that “FOR SCIENCE!” ;)

    I thought 15 was a fine effort — kind of amazing they got their hands on Parker’s Heritage Heavy Char Barrels… wish I could taste that note more, but it’s a bit muddled with everything else. Very rich dark fruit, malt and sweetness. Seemed more like a big beligian/barleywine than some of the grand cru tarty things I’ve had. There isn’t any really boozy or astringent notes that you sometimes get in that style either.

    #136232 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Vegoe wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    I chose to give up a regular Gold as payment for muling, no biggie, still a good deal at $27/bottle overall, after mule payment.

    Surly Fifteen is out, prob will buy a can. Grand Cru, which I’m always on the fence about. It could be great, it could suck. I dunno. In the biz, we call that “FOR SCIENCE!” ;)

    I thought 15 was a fine effort — kind of amazing they got their hands on Parker’s Heritage Heavy Char Barrels… wish I could taste that note more, but it’s a bit muddled with everything else. Very rich dark fruit, malt and sweetness. Seemed more like a big beligian/barleywine than some of the grand cru tarty things I’ve had. There isn’t any really boozy or astringent notes that you sometimes get in that style either.

    Everything I read is that the Grand Cru name is more because it doesn’t really fit in a category

    #136233 Quote
    fightclub30fightclub30
    • Posts: 223
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Vegoe wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    I chose to give up a regular Gold as payment for muling, no biggie, still a good deal at $27/bottle overall, after mule payment.

    Surly Fifteen is out, prob will buy a can. Grand Cru, which I’m always on the fence about. It could be great, it could suck. I dunno. In the biz, we call that “FOR SCIENCE!” ;)

    I thought 15 was a fine effort — kind of amazing they got their hands on Parker’s Heritage Heavy Char Barrels… wish I could taste that note more, but it’s a bit muddled with everything else. Very rich dark fruit, malt and sweetness. Seemed more like a big beligian/barleywine than some of the grand cru tarty things I’ve had. There isn’t any really boozy or astringent notes that you sometimes get in that style either.

    Everything I read is that the Grand Cru name is more because it doesn’t really fit in a category

    I thought that’s why we had “American Strong Ale” as a catch all for High-ABV beers, that didn’t quite meet a Barleywine. kidding, but also not…

    #136236 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Vegoe wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    I chose to give up a regular Gold as payment for muling, no biggie, still a good deal at $27/bottle overall, after mule payment.

    Surly Fifteen is out, prob will buy a can. Grand Cru, which I’m always on the fence about. It could be great, it could suck. I dunno. In the biz, we call that “FOR SCIENCE!” ;)

    I thought 15 was a fine effort — kind of amazing they got their hands on Parker’s Heritage Heavy Char Barrels… wish I could taste that note more, but it’s a bit muddled with everything else. Very rich dark fruit, malt and sweetness. Seemed more like a big beligian/barleywine than some of the grand cru tarty things I’ve had. There isn’t any really boozy or astringent notes that you sometimes get in that style either.

    Cracked it, and I agree with the above. Some Crus I have had are way too sweet, and this was not at all. Very balanced and full flavored. Definitely worth a buy.

    #136234 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The new Dangerous Man Devil’s Food Cake Double Stout is basically chocolate flavored beer.

    #136235 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    The new Dangerous Man Devil’s Food Cake Double Stout is basically chocolate flavored beer.

    So it’s similar to the KBS Mackinac Fudge? Because that KBS was DELICIOUS.

    #136237 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    The new Dangerous Man Devil’s Food Cake Double Stout is basically chocolate flavored beer.

    So it’s similar to the KBS Mackinac Fudge? Because that KBS was DELICIOUS.

    It’s not as good as the KBS Mackinac Fudge but it’s still really good.

    That KBS and the Untitled Art Fudgie Brownie Stout are on an entirely different level in my opinion

    #136238 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The UA FB is insane, I agree.

    #136239 Quote
    BigbeerBigbeer
    • Posts: 746
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Oliphant anniversary party on Sat…come see me.

    #136240 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bigbeer wrote:


    Oliphant anniversary party on Sat…come see me.

    LTD Oktoberfest on Sat. I’ll pour you a beer! :giggle: (pouring 2pm-10-pm).

    #136241 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Didn’t feel like spending a mint today so rhe guy suggested Islay Gold 10 and I’m pretty happy with it. Not recommended if you don’t a smokey punch up front. It’s no Laphroaig but it’s not shy either.

    #136242 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    Didn’t feel like spending a mint today so rhe guy suggested Islay Gold 10 and I’m pretty happy with it. Not recommended if you don’t a smokey punch up front. It’s no Laphroaig but it’s not shy either.

    That’s how I feel about Bowmore.

    #136243 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I’m doing a private tasting at Vikre in Duluth tonight and they have a whiskey that is part smoky scotch, part rye, and part bourbon. As good as their gin and aquavit is the whiskey is just fantastic for a locally made spirit.

    First cocktail was a mule with that whiskey and now I’m onto an Aquavit Gimlet

    #136244 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1545
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    I’m doing a private tasting at Vikre in Duluth tonight and they have a whiskey that is part smoky scotch, part rye, and part bourbon.

    NAMES!!

    #136245 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Slap Shot wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    I’m doing a private tasting at Vikre in Duluth tonight and they have a whiskey that is part smoky scotch, part rye, and part bourbon.

    NAMES!!

    It’s called Honor Brand Hay and Sunshine Whiskey

    The Aquavit Gimlet is really tasty too…I’ve really enjoyed most of what we have sampled

    #136246 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Is that Vikre’s brand names, then? I have heard good things about them.

    #136247 Quote
    CowgirlCowgirl
    • Posts: 1392
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Vikre is top notch!

    #136248 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    Is that Vikre’s brand names, then? I have heard good things about them.

    That’s the whiskey. Everything else would carry the Vikre name.

    Nearly everything we had was really good. We bought one of their types of gin and a bottle of the whiskey but I’d have bought more if it wasn’t for our stupid liquor laws. I may have to go back tomorrow as a reult

    #136249 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Is that Vikre’s brand names, then? I have heard good things about them.

    That’s the whiskey. Everything else would carry the Vikre name.

    Nearly everything we had was really good. We bought one of their types of gin and a bottle of the whiskey but I’d have bought more if it wasn’t for our stupid liquor laws. I may have to go back tomorrow as a reult

    A friend and I discussed the liquor laws with the Distillers’ group at the Fair. It’s insane. MN is archaic compared to the rest of the US. Other states have odd laws, sure, but we are becoming the worst given the progression of other states in updating laws.

    #136250 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cowgirl wrote:


    Vikre is top notch!

    Yes – by far one of the best distilleries I’ve been to

    #136251 Quote
    g-manpuckg-manpuck
    • Posts: 397
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    I like the sign in Hoops Brewery in Duluth explaining the silly liquor laws for a brewery to serve cocktails.

    #136252 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    The Rube wrote:


    davescharf wrote:


    The Rube wrote:


    Is that Vikre’s brand names, then? I have heard good things about them.

    That’s the whiskey. Everything else would carry the Vikre name.

    Nearly everything we had was really good. We bought one of their types of gin and a bottle of the whiskey but I’d have bought more if it wasn’t for our stupid liquor laws. I may have to go back tomorrow as a reult

    A friend and I discussed the liquor laws with the Distillers’ group at the Fair. It’s insane. MN is archaic compared to the rest of the US. Other states have odd laws, sure, but we are becoming the worst given the progression of other states in updating laws.

    At least we can get more tomorrow if we want or just buy it in the cities. One thing we do like is that the 375mL bottles are good sized for us since we tend to drink more beer and wine. That and we are trying to finish off a bunch of old cheap stuff we acquired over the year so smaller bottles take up less space

    #136253 Quote
    The RubeThe Rube
    • Posts: 2390
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Just got word that Sam Adams’ Utopias is being released Oct 11. Tremendous beer. A bit expensive (around $200 for a 24oz bottle) but it is worth it, IMO.

    #136254 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1096
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Stopped at Mount Royal here in Duluth and they do have a pretty good selection. Found a few bottles from Warrior Brewing Company to try since their taproom isn’t open yet.

    Off to a bunch of the taprooms now up here with some friends

Viewing 75 posts - 301 through 375 (of 841 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Portal Forum General General Discussion Got Beer?