Portal Forum Hockey Talk Gopher Recruiting Committed Recruits Update Thread

  • This topic has 1,193 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated Aug 12 at 1:28pm by GoldyShuffleGoldyShuffle.
Viewing 75 posts - 301 through 375 (of 1,194 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #179575 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Some quotes about Lucius and Knies in this article. from scouts. The readers digest version from me– Scouts seem to think Lucius will end up a winger. His skating is the issue. Knies– Has good hands, can score goals. More of a north-south player.

    [media]https://twitter.com/BuffaloVogl/status/1412411469124313093[/media]

    #179576 Quote
    SkiUMahSkiUMah
    • Posts: 33
    #179577 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Like many, I thought they’d add an older recruit on defense to complement Mittelstaedt/Chesley next year as they look to replace a good number on the blue line. This of course does not preclude them from doing so but did not expect a high school d-man. Going into senior year at St. Cloud. Anyone know much about him?

    #179578 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    17 year old defenseman who played high school in St Cloud. Finished the year with Whioux Falls Stampede in the USHL. Son of former CC captain Eric Rud, who is on the Miami staff.

    #179579 Quote
    KarlssonKarlsson
    • Posts: 821
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    This kid’s dad captained Don Lucia teams. Kind of fun.

    #179580 Quote
    CardinalCardinal
    • Posts: 89
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #179581 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 882
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Cardinal wrote:


    https://twitter.com/THNRyanKennedy/status/1416083729634799620

    Story on him from earlier this year. Sounds like a solid get by the staff.

    https://www.si.com/hockey/news/meet-the-goalie-every-scout-needs-to-see

    Longest last name in Gopher Hockey history?

    #179582 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Curious if this means Pichora is no longer in their plans. Would be a crowded depth chart with Boynton/Pichora/Bartoszkiewicz with none older than a sophomore.

    #179583 Quote
    IceburgIceburg
    • Posts: 257
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    So, did we just get commitments from the shortest and longest name in Gopher history in the same week?

    #179584 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Iceburg wrote:


    So, did we just get commitments from the shortest and longest name in Gopher history in the same week?

    Rud at least a tie with Kyle Rau. Has to be the longest name…

    #179585 Quote
    IceburgIceburg
    • Posts: 257
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    A Michigan kid, here’s an ARTICLE with some background information.

    “The Hockey News” wrote:

    (Barta-SKAY-vitch)

    Whoops, Cardinal already had the article :oops:

    #179586 Quote
    GopherPeteGopherPete
    • Posts: 50
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    He tells it like it is:

    “I think I’m a ‘money’ goalie,” Bartoszkiewicz said. “I make big saves when we need big saves. I’m crucial in the stressful moments and I can hold my team in it if we’re down by a goal.”

    #179587 Quote
    Rau4SkiUMahRau4SkiUMah
    • Posts: 134
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    GopherPete wrote:


    He tells it like it is:

    “I think I’m a ‘money’ goalie,” Bartoszkiewicz said. “I make big saves when we need big saves. I’m crucial in the stressful moments and I can hold my team in it if we’re down by a goal.”

    Oh wow, I LOVE the confidence!

    #179588 Quote
    MaizeMaize
    • Posts: 104
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    Longest last name in Gopher Hockey history?

    Correct. Previous record, and I believe still longest first and last combined is Edward Hollingsworth who played in the late-20s/early-30s.

    #179589 Quote
    IceburgIceburg
    • Posts: 257
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Maize wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Longest last name in Gopher Hockey history?

    Correct. Previous record, and I believe still longest first and last combined is Edward Hollingsworth who played in the late-20s/early-30s.

    And before anyone asks, no I did not see Hollingsworth play.

    #179590 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Petition to call him Barty

    #179591 Quote
    CardinalCardinal
    • Posts: 89
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    https://www.wichitafallswarriors.com/goaltender-bartoszkiewicz-makes-his-commitment-to-the-university-of-minnesota

    Quote:

    “I chose the Gophers because they have great facilities and their staff and coaches are just amazing along with the players. They are all super nice people, I couldn’t have asked for anything better”, said Bartoszkiewicz. The Michigan born player will be staying up north in a familiar area just a couple of states over to continue his hockey career. “When I was little my dad went to St. Cloud University and they were rivals against Minnesota and I just wanted to go against my dad and I fell in love with the Gophers. The gym, the rink, and the people there were amazing and I could see myself just working hard and being there everyday, all day”.

    #179592 Quote
    davescharfdavescharf
    • Posts: 1097
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Iceburg wrote:


    Maize wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Longest last name in Gopher Hockey history?

    Correct. Previous record, and I believe still longest first and last combined is Edward Hollingsworth who played in the late-20s/early-30s.

    And before anyone asks, no I did not see Hollingsworth play.

    We’d have asked GE first…even before George ;)

    #179593 Quote
    YoungEagleYoungEagle
    • Posts: 345
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    davescharf wrote:


    Iceburg wrote:


    Maize wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Longest last name in Gopher Hockey history?

    Correct. Previous record, and I believe still longest first and last combined is Edward Hollingsworth who played in the late-20s/early-30s.

    And before anyone asks, no I did not see Hollingsworth play.

    We’d have asked GE first…even before George ;)

    That GE… he’s no spring chicken.

    #179594 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    BlueBandit24 wrote:


    Curious if this means Pichora is no longer in their plans. Would be a crowded depth chart with Boynton/Pichora/Bartoszkiewicz with none older than a sophomore.

    That’s not necessarily true. Pichora could be delayed to the 2023 season. Worst comes to worst we have 4 goalies (which has happened before) with him Boynton, Bart and Close.

    #179595 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Regardless, I like that there will be good competition for the crease in 2022. Whoever the coaches settle on will have big shoes to fill. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves of course, I think Laffer has a legit shot at the hobey this year!

    #179596 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    BlueBandit24 wrote:


    Curious if this means Pichora is no longer in their plans. Would be a crowded depth chart with Boynton/Pichora/Bartoszkiewicz with none older than a sophomore.

    That’s not necessarily true. Pichora could be delayed to the 2023 season. Worst comes to worst we have 4 goalies (which has happened before) with him Boynton, Bart and Close.

    You could very well be right…Pichora will only be 20 in 2023. Just kind of a logjam currently.

    #179597 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Some final thoughts from Scott Wheeler on the draft.

    [media]https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1417130211100012556[/media]

    Most underrated–

    Quote:

    “Connor Kurth at Dubuque (Fighting Saints),” said one source of NHL Central Scouting’s 220th-ranked North American skater, who is committed to the University of Minnesota. “He’s producing in the USHL as a late 2003. Reminds me of Matt Hendricks. I could see him carving out a role in the NHL. He’s a sandpaper guy with skill.”

    #179598 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    frozen4champs wrote:


    Some final thoughts from Scott Wheeler on the draft.

    [media]https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1417130211100012556[/media]

    Most underrated–

    Quote:

    “Connor Kurth at Dubuque (Fighting Saints),” said one source of NHL Central Scouting’s 220th-ranked North American skater, who is committed to the University of Minnesota. “He’s producing in the USHL as a late 2003. Reminds me of Matt Hendricks. I could see him carving out a role in the NHL. He’s a sandpaper guy with skill.”


    But I thought sandpaper guys aren’t allowed within 5 miles of Gentry Academy

    #179599 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 882
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #179600 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    [media]https://twitter.com/TheHockeyNews/status/1417955300682915841[/media]

    Quote:

    Owen Bartoszkiewicz, Wichita Falls (NAHL)

    A personal favorite of Ryan Kennedy’s, Bartoszkiewicz has a tendency to make big saves exactly when his team needs him to – he even refers to himself as a “Money Goalie”. He has good size for an NHL prospect and never seems to give up on a play with what scouts describe to be a high compete level. Bartoszkiewicz got most of the starts for the expansion Warriors and was the easy choice for the NAHL’s south goalie and rookie of the year awards. Bartoszkiewicz recently committed to play Division I for the University of Minnesota and after a few years of further conditioning, he’ll put himself into NHL contention.

    #179601 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 882
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    #179602 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1207
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    I would love to see him drop to the Wild. A scoring center sounds nice.

    #179603 Quote
    Jaykay3Jaykay3
    • Posts: 50
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bertogliat wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    I would love to see him drop to the Wild. A scoring center sounds nice.

    He won’t be a center in the NHL.

    #179604 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1207
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Jaykay3 wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    I would love to see him drop to the Wild. A scoring center sounds nice.

    He won’t be a center in the NHL.

    Why?

    #179605 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bertogliat wrote:


    Jaykay3 wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    I would love to see him drop to the Wild. A scoring center sounds nice.

    He won’t be a center in the NHL.

    Why?

    He might not be a center in college. Skating is the main “concern” if you can even call it that. Mostly his game just suits the wing position better. Can get set up by a speedy center and bury the biscuit.

    #179606 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    This pick is now owned by buffalo so maybe he joins Casey???😄

    #179607 Quote
    bearpaw28bearpaw28
    • Posts: 544
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    This pick is now owned by buffalo so maybe he joins Casey???😄

    That would be delicious :lol: …thirty-four likely goes anti Lucius by association thou… :ahhh:

    #179608 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Just guessing Gopher recruit/round drafted:

    Lucius (Round 1)

    Knies (Round 2)

    Broz (Round 3)

    Kurth (Round 5)

    Lamb (Round 6)

    Mittelstaedt (Round 6)

    Bartoskiewicz (Round 6)

    #179609 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1207
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    Jaykay3 wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    I would love to see him drop to the Wild. A scoring center sounds nice.

    He won’t be a center in the NHL.

    Why?

    He might not be a center in college. Skating is the main “concern” if you can even call it that. Mostly his game just suits the wing position better. Can get set up by a speedy center and bury the biscuit.


    I am not at all doubting you. I know speed isn’t his game and players change positions when they get to the college/pro levels.

    But Koivu didn’t exactly have fire shooting out of his butt and played an awfully long time at that position.

    #179610 Quote
    bearpaw28bearpaw28
    • Posts: 544
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Bertogliat wrote:


    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    Jaykay3 wrote:


    Bertogliat wrote:


    Zwak wrote:


    Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

    https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07/23/nhl-mock-draft-3-0-what-im-hearing-about-how-the-first-round-will-play-out/?source=twitterhq

    14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

    Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

    I would love to see him drop to the Wild. A scoring center sounds nice.

    He won’t be a center in the NHL.

    Why?

    He might not be a center in college. Skating is the main “concern” if you can even call it that. Mostly his game just suits the wing position better. Can get set up by a speedy center and bury the biscuit.


    I am not at all doubting you. I know speed isn’t his game and players change positions when they get to the college/pro levels.

    But Koivu didn’t exactly have fire shooting out of his butt and played an awfully long time at that position.

    Same can be said for Vanek at wing :wink: :biggrin2:

    #179611 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Are we getting to the “something to prove” or “chip on the shoulder” part of the Lucius waiting to get drafted?

    Edit… Well there he goes to the Peg

    #179612 Quote
    bearpaw28bearpaw28
    • Posts: 544
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Lucius to the Jets!

    #179613 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    FWIW, Scott Wheeler described Lucius as a “natural pivot” in his draft recap.

    Unrelated but he was very complimentary of the Wild’s draft as well.

    #179614 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 882
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    BlueBandit24 wrote:


    FWIW, Scott Wheeler described Lucius as a “natural pivot” in his draft recap.

    Unrelated but he was very complimentary of the Wild’s draft as well.

    Before 2nd round started he had Knies as the 8th best prospect still available

    8. Matthew Knies, LW, Tri-City-USHL

    Oct. 17, 2002 | 6-foot-3 | 210 pounds

    Skating: Below-average

    Puck Skills: Average

    Hockey Sense: Below-average

    Compete: Above-average

    Shot: Below-average

    Knies had a great underage season but his draft season was a struggle to produce as much offense as expected. Despite his mediocre point totals (42 points in 44 games) I still see a very talented player and he was an important player for a top USHL team in all situations. I see a 6-foot-3 forward with great hands who can beat defenders clean with skill. I debated his sense being listed as “average” or “below-average.” I’ve seen enough plays from him, particularly as an underage, to say he can see the ice, but this past season made me question his sense at times and his puck decisions. His game lacks finish as well, although he went on a big goal scoring tear to end the season. Knies works hard on the ice, winning a lot of battles, killing penalties and taking pucks to the net. His skating isn’t the best and will lack the ability to separate at the NHL level. In a sentence, Knies projects as an NHL two-way middle-six winger.

    #179615 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Knies goes to Toronto with pick 57

    Broz goes #58 to the Pens.

    Back to Back 2nd rounders

    #179616 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1207
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    BlueBandit24 wrote:


    FWIW, Scott Wheeler described Lucius as a “natural pivot” in his draft recap.

    Unrelated but he was very complimentary of the Wild’s draft as well.

    Before 2nd round started he had Knies as the 8th best prospect still available

    8. Matthew Knies, LW, Tri-City-USHL

    Oct. 17, 2002 | 6-foot-3 | 210 pounds

    Skating: Below-average

    Puck Skills: Average

    Hockey Sense: Below-average

    Compete: Above-average

    Shot: Below-average

    Knies had a great underage season but his draft season was a struggle to produce as much offense as expected. Despite his mediocre point totals (42 points in 44 games) I still see a very talented player and he was an important player for a top USHL team in all situations. I see a 6-foot-3 forward with great hands who can beat defenders clean with skill. I debated his sense being listed as “average” or “below-average.” I’ve seen enough plays from him, particularly as an underage, to say he can see the ice, but this past season made me question his sense at times and his puck decisions. His game lacks finish as well, although he went on a big goal scoring tear to end the season. Knies works hard on the ice, winning a lot of battles, killing penalties and taking pucks to the net. His skating isn’t the best and will lack the ability to separate at the NHL level. In a sentence, Knies projects as an NHL two-way middle-six winger.


    He rates him below average in 3 of 5 categories, but sees him as a 2nd rounder….. :confused2:

    What does a 4th round prospect look like? Yikes.

    #179617 Quote
    bearpaw28bearpaw28
    • Posts: 544
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    frozen4champs wrote:


    Knies goes to Toronto with pick 57

    Broz goes #58 to the Pens.

    Back to Back 2nd rounders

    I like Broz & think he will fit in well (eventually) on the 🐧 👍

    #179618 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Comments about the 2nd rounders from tBob

    [media]https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1418982868613804033[/media]

    #179619 Quote
    Snowcool08Snowcool08
    • Posts: 202
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    bearpaw28 wrote:


    frozen4champs wrote:


    Knies goes to Toronto with pick 57

    Broz goes #58 to the Pens.

    Back to Back 2nd rounders

    I like Broz & think he will fit in well (eventually) on the 🐧 👍


    I love this breakdown of Broz by a Pens writer. The third note is great.

    https://twitter.com/jmarshfof/status/1418974219522674694?s=21

    #179620 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Brody Lamb to the Rangers in the early 4th round.

    #179621 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    BlueBandit24 wrote:


    Brody Lamb to the Rangers in the early 4th round.

    Wayyyyy earlier than most were expecting

    #179622 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Video media Q & A with Knies.

    A few takeaways–

    Had covid early in the USHL year

    Shane Doan was his coach when he was young

    Has worked out with Matthews in the off season

    [media]https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1419077620625461252[/media]

    #179623 Quote
    trixR4kidstrixR4kids
    • Posts: 354
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    bearpaw28 wrote:


    frozen4champs wrote:


    Knies goes to Toronto with pick 57

    Broz goes #58 to the Pens.

    Back to Back 2nd rounders

    I like Broz & think he will fit in well (eventually) on the 🐧 👍

    A lot of the penguins writers had good things to say about his game, excited to see him play for the gophers next year.

    #179624 Quote
    D2DD2D
    • Posts: 453
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Has anyone calculated what the average age of rostered players will be this coming season vs. last year? We all know the importance of experience and I assume we’ll be at least a little older, on average this year.

    #179625 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    D2D wrote:


    Has anyone calculated what the average age of rostered players will be this coming season vs. last year? We all know the importance of experience and I assume we’ll be at least a little older, on average this year.

    Huglen, Pitlick and Boynton are older. Lucius, Knies and Broz are 18 I believe. We also add an old transfer in Cruikshank though.

    #179626 Quote
    streakygopherstreakygopher
    • Posts: 371
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    D2D wrote:


    Has anyone calculated what the average age of rostered players will be this coming season vs. last year? We all know the importance of experience and I assume we’ll be at least a little older, on average this year.

    Huglen, Pitlick and Boynton are older. Lucius, Knies and Broz are 18 I believe. We also add an old transfer in Cruikshank though.

    …plus super senior LaFont….

    #179627 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    streakygopher wrote:


    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    D2D wrote:


    Has anyone calculated what the average age of rostered players will be this coming season vs. last year? We all know the importance of experience and I assume we’ll be at least a little older, on average this year.

    Huglen, Pitlick and Boynton are older. Lucius, Knies and Broz are 18 I believe. We also add an old transfer in Cruikshank though.

    …plus super senior LaFont….

    Super duper senior

    #179628 Quote
    Slap ShotSlap Shot
    • Posts: 1553
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    D2D wrote:


    Has anyone calculated what the average age of rostered players will be this coming season vs. last year? We all know the importance of experience and I assume we’ll be at least a little older, on average this year.

    I believe CHN is the site that lists the average age of every program each year, but I haven’t looked to see if they’ve published it yet for this season.

    #179631 Quote
    BertogliatBertogliat
    • Posts: 1207
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    D2D wrote:


    Has anyone calculated what the average age of rostered players will be this coming season vs. last year? We all know the importance of experience and I assume we’ll be at least a little older, on average this year.

    All teams will be older with returning seniors. But the Gophers return just one senior from last season so we aren’t likely to be gaining any ground.

    #179633 Quote
    streakygopherstreakygopher
    • Posts: 371
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    No incoming freshmen D this year?

    This might be the deepest Gopher blueline I can remember…maybe not the best individual players, but they are going to be good on defense for all three pairings.

    #179634 Quote
    Rau4SkiUMahRau4SkiUMah
    • Posts: 134
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    streakygopher wrote:


    No incoming freshmen D this year?

    This might be the deepest Gopher blueline I can remember…maybe not the best individual players, but they are going to be good on defense for all three pairings.

    Lacombe, Johnson and Faber all super talented and I’d take them against anyone in the country. Koster also really talented and probably at times a little overshadowed by the other three but I was very pleasantly surprised with how well he handled the transition to the college game last year. Brinkman and Staudacher may not be quite as offensively talented as the first four I mentioned but they are as reliable as they come and they aren’t afraid to throw the body and get in the dirty areas. Finally rounded out by Fish who is big and nasty and plays with his heart on his sleeve and Denman who, I know hasn’t had a ton of playing time, but from listening to the coaches and other players it sounds like no one works harder. I would have possibly liked to have gone out and gotten another defenseman or two but it’s hard to complain with a D corps like that.

    #179635 Quote
    bearpaw28bearpaw28
    • Posts: 544
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Rau4SkiUMah wrote:


    streakygopher wrote:


    No incoming freshmen D this year?

    This might be the deepest Gopher blueline I can remember…maybe not the best individual players, but they are going to be good on defense for all three pairings.

    Lacombe, Johnson and Faber all super talented and I’d take them against anyone in the country. Koster also really talented and probably at times a little overshadowed by the other three but I was very pleasantly surprised with how well he handled the transition to the college game last year. Brinkman and Staudacher may not be quite as offensively talented as the first four I mentioned but they are as reliable as they come and they aren’t afraid to throw the body and get in the dirty areas. Finally rounded out by Fish who is big and nasty and plays with his heart on his sleeve and Denman who, I know hasn’t had a ton of playing time, but from listening to the coaches and other players it sounds like no one works harder. I would have possibly liked to have gone out and gotten another defenseman or two but it’s hard to complain with a D corps like that.

    The Gophers D core…this coming season…is about as close as you can get to tUMD core from 18-19 that featured future HB winner Perunovich. paired with 6’5” 220lb bruiser Wolff, and 20-21 regular NHL shift Anderson, paired with 20-21 taxi squad NHL Samberg, & current bonus year seniors Roehl & Anderson. That 🐶 group also included 3 World Juniors D…same as the Gopher D core had in 20-21. So it’s unquestionably Frozen Four or bust for the Gophers in 21-22!

    #179636 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Rau4SkiUMah wrote:


    streakygopher wrote:


    No incoming freshmen D this year?

    This might be the deepest Gopher blueline I can remember…maybe not the best individual players, but they are going to be good on defense for all three pairings.

    Lacombe, Johnson and Faber all super talented and I’d take them against anyone in the country. Koster also really talented and probably at times a little overshadowed by the other three but I was very pleasantly surprised with how well he handled the transition to the college game last year. Brinkman and Staudacher may not be quite as offensively talented as the first four I mentioned but they are as reliable as they come and they aren’t afraid to throw the body and get in the dirty areas. Finally rounded out by Fish who is big and nasty and plays with his heart on his sleeve and Denman who, I know hasn’t had a ton of playing time, but from listening to the coaches and other players it sounds like no one works harder. I would have possibly liked to have gone out and gotten another defenseman or two but it’s hard to complain with a D corps like that.

    Plus you tack on the returning richter award winner with Laffer. That’s why I still have the good guys over Michigan this year. But as people have been saying those 4 games (possibly 5 or 6) will be a treat and could go either way.

    #179637 Quote
    Rau4SkiUMahRau4SkiUMah
    • Posts: 134
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    Rau4SkiUMah wrote:


    streakygopher wrote:


    No incoming freshmen D this year?

    This might be the deepest Gopher blueline I can remember…maybe not the best individual players, but they are going to be good on defense for all three pairings.

    Lacombe, Johnson and Faber all super talented and I’d take them against anyone in the country. Koster also really talented and probably at times a little overshadowed by the other three but I was very pleasantly surprised with how well he handled the transition to the college game last year. Brinkman and Staudacher may not be quite as offensively talented as the first four I mentioned but they are as reliable as they come and they aren’t afraid to throw the body and get in the dirty areas. Finally rounded out by Fish who is big and nasty and plays with his heart on his sleeve and Denman who, I know hasn’t had a ton of playing time, but from listening to the coaches and other players it sounds like no one works harder. I would have possibly liked to have gone out and gotten another defenseman or two but it’s hard to complain with a D corps like that.

    Plus you tack on the returning richter award winner with Laffer. That’s why I still have the good guys over Michigan this year. But as people have been saying those 4 games (possibly 5 or 6) will be a treat and could go either way.

    They will be a treat for sure and I can’t wait! Most years the series I’m usually most looking forward to is against UMD, UND or UW. While I’m still really excited for those weekends I think this year the games I’m most looking forward to are the ones against Michigan. Two very talented teams playing in an historic rivalry that’s quickly becoming reignited and I’ve always felt our style of play and their style of play match well for some entertaining hockey.

    #179638 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Pinoniemi is partaking in the Stampede 40 man roster camp this week. Is this normal for a returning player to take part in these or do we get a little concerned that he has to fight for a roster spot?

    [media]https://twitter.com/sfstampede/status/1421195319509925888[/media]

    #179639 Quote
    IceburgIceburg
    • Posts: 257
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Nothing unusual about him playing

    #179651 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #179652 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    #179653 Quote
    frozen4champsfrozen4champs
    • Posts: 1824
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #179654 Quote
    IceburgIceburg
    • Posts: 257
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Hockey Runs Deep in Family for Jimmy Snuggerud

    #179655 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Kurth with a hat trick in the 1st for Dubuque in their season opener.

    Surprised he went undrafted, lot to like there nice combination of grit and skill.

    #179658 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Jimmy Clark to the Gophers! Huge get for the good guys. I was thinking he’s our Zam Plante where it should be a shoo in but I didn’t wanna jinx it. Anyways good choice kid!

    #179659 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 882
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    Jimmy Clark to the Gophers! Huge get for the good guys. I was thinking he’s our Zam Plante where it should be a shoo in but I didn’t wanna jinx it. Anyways good choice kid!

    Where did you see or hear this?

    #179660 Quote
    maroon and goldmaroon and gold
    • Posts: 566
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Instagram bio says University of Minnesota commit〽️

    #179661 Quote
    ZwakZwak
    Moderator
    • Posts: 882
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    Instagram bio says University of Minnesota commit〽️

    Ah… that would involve this old guy using Instagram. :D

    #179662 Quote
    GreyeagleGreyeagle
    Moderator
    • Posts: 1217
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Zwak wrote:


    maroon_and_gold wrote:


    Instagram bio says University of Minnesota commit〽️

    Ah… that would involve this old guy using Instagram. :D

    Instagram is on your lawn! :biggrin2:

    (Great news about Clark!!)

    #179663 Quote
    BlueBandit24BlueBandit24
    • Posts: 102
    • GoldenHas donated $ to the upkeep of GPL
    #179664 Quote
    young gopher diehardyoung gopher diehard
    • Posts: 87
    Up
    0
    Down
    ::

    Huge!! Now let’s add Oliver Moore!

    #179665 Quote
    Goldy77Goldy77
    • Posts: 104
Viewing 75 posts - 301 through 375 (of 1,194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Portal Forum Hockey Talk Gopher Recruiting Committed Recruits Update Thread