1,445 Posts
53 Users
194 Likes
31.8 K Views
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5147

Doesn’t look like they’re going to pull off the upset tonight. 

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1234
Post on old board: 5215

4 hits. The sticks were smokin' tonight!

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 75

@chris83 

its going to be like this all year.  You’re not going to win many games with 4 hits.  I wonder if they are regretting the Arraez trade now! 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3315
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @mnpuckguy

@chris83 

its going to be like this all year.  You’re not going to win many games with 4 hits.  I wonder if they are regretting the Arraez trade now! 

They aren't.

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level

Lopez is 3-3 with a 4.54 ERA.

Arraez is hitting .400!

Not looking very good for the Twinkies!  Plus Arraez plays every day!

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7643
Post on old board: 35040

It's not even the All Star Break. If Arraez is doing this Aug 1? Yes, the watch is 100% on. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level

Lopez will have to win 20 games in order to Arraez’ batting average!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Lopez is 3-3 with a 4.54 ERA.

Arraez is hitting .400!

Not looking very good for the Twinkies!  Plus Arraez plays every day!

1) It wasn't a 1 for 1 trade. They got two good-very good prospects in the trade as well to either be trade bait for another player in the future or be part of the young core in a few years.

2) Arraez would be playing 1B or DH here primarily. This means fewer ABs for Buxton and/or Kiriloff. Both of them have been very productive. Kiriloff's WRC+ (weighted runs created - the number of runs created adjusted for park factors etc.) is 160 to Arraez 161 despite Arraez having more hits than Kiriloff has at-bats. Runs win games, not batting average. Kiriloff is already keeping pace with Arraez and will likely surpass him as he gets more playing time.

3) Lopez is 3-3 with a 4.54 ERA after a couple rough starts his last two outings, yes. But if we didn't have Lopez who would be in the rotation? They would have likely signed somebody out of FA to fill that spot right? The pitchers who signed after the Lopez-Arraez trade was completed are: Johnny Cueto (1IP this season, currently on the 60 day IL), Danny Duffy (minor leagues), Aaron Sanchez (minor league contract with MN), Joe Ross (minor leagues), Zach Greinke (signed with KC for his final season, 1-6 with a 4.59 ERA), Bryan Garcia (minor leagues), Caleb Smith (minor leagues), Michael Wacha (Padres on a 1-year deal off an injury but having a pretty good season with a 5-2 record and 3.48 ERA), then 3 other minor league SPs. So we'd be replacing Lopez with a minor league contract or using one of our own minor leaguers - two of which are currently in the rotation due to injuries to Maeda and Mahle. Lopez is better than all but one of those guys (and IMO he's better than Wacha too), plus he's younger and under team control for a long time. 

I love Luis Arraez and I hope he has an incredible career for as long as it lasts. He is a blast to watch and seems like an exceptional guy off the field too. But to act like this trade was a giant L for the Twins is ridiculous at its absolute best.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1227
Post on old board: 5547

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I heard the first 2 batters of the game last night before I got out of my car going to softball. The game was over by the time I got back in my car about 2 hours and 15 minutes later. 

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 544

It was a scoreless game in the 5th I wanna say when tampa hit a triple that was foul down first base. Everything went to shit after that. I turned off baseball and did something else when it was a non reviewable play because the call was made by the umpire in the infield?? I lost my shit at that point. Wtf difference does it make? Why can’t you review anything you want? How fricken pointless, that was a perfectly reasonable challenge situation with instant replay. Have it to use to get calls right then allow it to be used! Otherwise don’t use it at all. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

It was a scoreless game in the 5th I wanna say when tampa hit a triple that was foul down first base. Everything went to shit after that. I turned off baseball and did something else when it was a non reviewable play because the call was made by the umpire in the infield?? I lost my shit at that point. Wtf difference does it make? Why can’t you review anything you want? How fricken pointless, that was a perfectly reasonable challenge situation with instant replay. Have it to use to get calls right then allow it to be used! Otherwise don’t use it at all. 

I agree. They had a similar call in LA against the Dodgers last month late in the game where a ball was clearly foul and the 1st base umpire called it fair. Because the call was "Made in front of the umpire" the play was not reviewable. I don't understand how that's a thing they settled on. Fair ball vs. foul ball should be reviewable at all times IMO.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

The Twins traded Arraez to Miami for a pitcher named Lopez and extended his pitching contract to multiple years while Arraez leads the mayor league in batting average right now at 401

Aloha!

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1706

Posted by: @gopher6

The Twins traded Arraez to Miami for a pitcher named Lopez and extended his pitching contract to multiple years while Arraez leads the mayor league in batting average right now at 401

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

I miss watching Arraez take at bats. That was a joy. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12496
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gopher6

Who is he ahead of? The mayor of Boston, LA or St Louis? (I'm kidding, and it was a softball for me to hit)

It is easy to 2nd guess trades. I know Arraez was loved here, but I think the Twins got a decent return for him. Not sure how much better the Twins would be with him, when Correa, Buxton and the rest of the stiffs couldn't  bat him in once he got on base. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2514
Post on old board: 7833

Since I doubt I’m the only one curious about this…

https://twitter.com/slangsonsports/status/1666248225962033152?s=61&t=KXKvHxR1LV7d9-w74AHSxg

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2514
Post on old board: 7833

Got curious about how these seasons played out. Final averages for the listed players.

1997 Larry Walker .366

2008 Chipper Jones .364

1983 Rod Carew .339

1997 Tony Gwynn .372

1994 Paul O’Neill .359

1941 Ted Williams .406

1948 Stan Musial .376

1948 Ted Williams .369

1993 John Olerud .363

All won batting titles except Carew (Wade Boggs won at .361) and Walker (Gwynn won at .372). Carew’s big year (.388) was in 1977. On June 7th Carew was hitting .376.

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

I always thought arraez was cocky with a hint of arrogance at the plate and was surprised he didn’t get thrown at more because of his being way to comfortable in the box. I got a kick out of watching his at bats and was always happy he was a twin. Hard to see guys like him go. He’s just good.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I always thought arraez was cocky with a hint of arrogance at the plate and was surprised he didn’t get thrown at more because of his being way to comfortable in the box. I got a kick out of watching his at bats and was always happy he was a twin. Hard to see guys like him go. He’s just good.

He definitely has a little bit of swagger to his game in the box without necessarily being overtly disrespectful toward the opponent (or the umpire). Part of why I loved watching him play here. His little head shake on pitches outside the zone, the little dances he does in the box and stuff... Baseball needs more of that type of stuff to keep attracting the younger generations (it may seem silly to some, but baseball for almost my entire life has shunned players showing any semblance of personality during the game while the NFL and NBA highlights personalities on a regular basis). Arraez is a guy who just loves to play baseball, and it is fun to watch.

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Speaking of swagger at the plate, Gary scheffield with the patented bat wiggle. Throwing BP to kids that did that drove me crazy but if they could hit I let it go. The ones who couldn’t hit and did that it was part of the problem. Oh good times?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Twins finally get something going and score their first run in the 18th inning of the series!

Then the bases are loaded and the rally immediately ends. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Then Duran gives up a walk off homer. I get that it is June, but damn things just aren’t getting better. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

Twins have scored 5 runs in 5 games. This is bad for a soccer team. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10472
Post on old board: 21741

Fail Tough Luck GIF

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7406

Posted by: @greyeagle

Fail Tough Luck GIF

Why is Greyeagle posting an unflattering clip of himself trying to make a basket? ? ? 

Beauner and Greyeagle reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4565
Post on old board: 28736

Twins cost me $20 in Vegas...thanks @beauner

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

What did you bet on? ? 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

This team isn’t any good, is it?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @karlsson

This team isn’t any good, is it?

I need to do this more often. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Down 3-1 in top 8, Correa tattoos a slider for a huge grand slam.

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Grand tater for CC in the 8th!!! Up 5-3 now! Crack your cold ones!!

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Jinx?

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Geezus Keppy adds 3 more

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7211
Post on old board: 10120

I started watching in the 8th.  Coincidence?  😉

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @cowgirl

I started watching in the 8th.  Coincidence?  😉

I stopped after the 6th. ? 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4565
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @beauner

Posted by: @handyman

What did you bet on? ?

That the team could actually win a game against a good team ? 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

I came across a fun baseball daily online puzzle.  It’s called Immaculate Grid. (Like 3 strikeouts in 9 pitches)

You need to identify a player (usually a number of correct answers for each square.)  I’m not very good at this because I’m not good at names.  

For instance, in the upper left box, you put in a player who played for both Texas and Anaheim.  

https://www.immaculategrid.com/

dxmnkd316 reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @composer

I came across a fun baseball daily online puzzle.  It’s called Immaculate Grid. (Like 3 strikeouts in 9 pitches)

You need to identify a player (usually a number of correct answers for each square.)  I’m not very good at this because I’m not good at names.  

For instance, in the upper left box, you put in a player who played for both Texas and Anaheim.  

Fun game. Gets very tough especially cuz I initially thought if I put a player in that met multiple qualities it would fill both boxes. It did not.

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Pagan blows it allows a 3 run shot in the 8th lose 7-6.  Close game, critical situation, fall behind to the number 9 hitter, same result. Good game until he comes in.

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level

Pagan is worthless!  He gives up too many home runs to be a reliable relief pitcher.  He did the same thing last year! He kills the team’s momentum whenever he comes in!  He needs to be sent down to the minors until he can prove he’s reliable!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Pagan is worthless!  He gives up too many home runs to be a reliable relief pitcher.  He did the same thing last year! He kills the team’s momentum whenever he comes in!  He needs to be sent down to the minors until he can prove he’s reliable!

That was the 2nd HR he allowed this season.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7643
Post on old board: 35040

That was Emilio Pagán's majors-leading fifth relief appearance lowering his team's Win Probability by at least 50% since the beginning of last season. (posted by Aaron Gleeman, Athletic writer)

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7211
Post on old board: 10120

Failed outs didn’t help either. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Posted by: @composer

Fun game. Gets very tough especially cuz I initially thought if I put a player in that met multiple qualities it would fill both boxes. It did not.

Yes, it may take a couple tries to figure out all of the rules (there is a rule link on the page)  You can't reuse a play either.  After you finish, you can get some stats and they also provide a grid showing the most given correct answer.  Few match mine as I am older and fewer picked the ones I did. (For Instance, I chose Hank Aaron for Atlanta, but he wasn't the top pick...)

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

They keep him on the team and put him out there today with a lead because they said he’s only given up one home run. That’s the problem, there’s just something in him they’re not seeing that they should be and it’s got less to do with his numbers and more to do with his clutch pitch location performance in situations where he fails and today against the number 9 hitter. Maybe if the guys calling the shots put their little laptops down and quit looking at statistics all the time and watched an actual ballgame they’d learn something.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

They keep him on the team and put him out there today with a lead because they said he’s only given up one home run. That’s the problem, there’s just something in him they’re not seeing that they should be and it’s got less to do with his numbers and more to do with his clutch pitch location performance in situations where he fails and today against the number 9 hitter. Maybe if the guys calling the shots put their little laptops down and quit looking at statistics all the time and watched an actual ballgame they’d learn something.

They put him out there today because the rest of the bullpen was taxed. The only 3 remaining arms were Pagan, Lopez, and Stewart.

Their hope was Pagan could get through 7-8-9 and then Lopez would pitch to Springer-Bichette-Vlad Jr. with Stewart as the extra innings pitcher.

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

That’s not playing to win baseball. Pagan should be last man up if you’re playing to keep a 3 run lead into the 8th inning. He’s a liability with that mentality heading into the late innings, there’s nothing wrong with his mechanics so they won’t send him down to get fixed because what’s wrong with him you can’t fix. He just doesn’t know how to pitch to win, he’s the fish in the live well that should’ve been thrown back.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

1971 Twins drafted Joe Thiesmann as pitcher, they never signed him

Aloha!

Page 11 / 29