796 Posts
56 Users
92 Likes
30.2 K Views
Lancaster
(@lancaster)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 104

"Philosophical differences" I assume means Darwitz wanted to win and Frost wanted a bible camp. Probably unfair but that's what comes to me.

Frost has one year remaining on his deal. If they extend, we know the admin does not expect results commensurate with the advantages the Gophers should have in women's hockey.

In fairness to Frost, the lack of players transferring out from the program the last couple years seems commendable.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5474
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @lancaster

"Philosophical differences" I assume means Darwitz wanted to win and Frost wanted a bible camp. Probably unfair but that's what comes to me. 

Bible Camp was my favorite week/weeks every summer growing up for 10 summers... lol!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 743
Post on old board: 5335

Frost has one year remaining on his deal. If they extend, we know the admin does not expect results commensurate with the advantages the Gophers should have in women's hockey.

In fairness to Frost, the lack of players transferring out from the program the last couple years seems commendable.

The thing is with Darwitz now gone, who would you replace him with?  I'm not sure you could lure Nadine back unless you gave her a truckload of money, and even then with the NIL advantage she has working the transfer market in Columbus compared to what she would have here, I think it would be a long shot.  

There is no one to just step into the job, so you would need to poach someone's coach and frankly, I'm not sure there are many I think would be good fits here. 

bar_down_guy
(@bar_down_guy)
Rep Pts: 3

Just heard Darwitz and Bobrowski are going to coach at Hill Murray.

Lancaster
(@lancaster)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @bar_down_guy

I wonder if she is just going to keep the seat warm until she gets the chance to coach the Gophers.

But actually, I could see her having a pretty good time coaching the Pioneers with the potential for some fun outings to the State Tournament.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2416
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @bar_down_guy

The Office Kevin GIF

BetterDeadThenRed
(@betterdeadthenred)
Rep Pts: 17

Posted by: @gopherguy05

The thing is with Darwitz now gone, who would you replace him with?  I'm not sure you could lure Nadine back unless you gave her a truckload of money, and even then with the NIL advantage she has working the transfer market in Columbus compared to what she would have here, I think it would be a long shot.  

There is no one to just step into the job, so you would need to poach someone's coach and frankly, I'm not sure there are many I think would be good fits here. 

Mira Jalosuo

BetterDeadThenRed
(@betterdeadthenred)
Rep Pts: 17

Mira Jalosuo

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Something new this summer. Trying to be the female “Da Beauty League”? Looks interesting, I’m sure I’ll give it a try.

https://www.thecellyleague.com

Lancaster
(@lancaster)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @betterdeadthenred

Mira Jalosuo

Brian Idalski

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

The discussion in the men’s thread about a third assistant jogged my increasingly useless brain. I held totally forgotten about this possibility. Is Frosty shopping for two coaches?

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Jupiter ♃ reacted
OutofState OutofMind
(@outofstateoutofmind)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 256

I mentioned this on a different forum but I think this is a prove-it year for everyone on the team, including the coaching staff.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Greg May’s resignation article on the Augsburg site. Not too much that wasn’t in the Gopher press release.

https://athletics.augsburg.edu/news/2023/7/6/mhoc070523.aspx

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

OutofState OutofMind
(@outofstateoutofmind)
Wooger Level

Calling it now: all flaws I find with next year's team aside, Vetter will be the best goalie in the conference and at least a finalist for National Goalie of the Year.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6611
Post on old board: 18942

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 11937
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/KJ_Branding/status/1689767034240778240

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1693702960507679038

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Slap Shot reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

That's pretty cool.

OutofState OutofMind
(@outofstateoutofmind)
Wooger Level

I lived in the DC area when the men's Frozen Four was there and I'm probably not as big of a college hockey fan today if I didn't go to that event. Really cool to see them bringing events back there.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Looks like no local team in the new women’s pro league.

Pro Women's Hockey League Promotional Period Set To End

In interviews with prospective staff, the Hockey Operations department of the new league has been informing candidates that Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and Montreal were markets nearing confirmation. The interviewers also informed candidates other markets in the final stages of negotiation included Washington, New York City, and London, Ontario.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 521

Posted by: @iceburg

Looks like no local team in the new women’s pro league.

Pro Women's Hockey League Promotional Period Set To End

In interviews with prospective staff, the Hockey Operations department of the new league has been informing candidates that Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and Montreal were markets nearing confirmation. The interviewers also informed candidates other markets in the final stages of negotiation included Washington, New York City, and London, Ontario.

This is quite disappointing.

You have strong attendance across the board for women's hockey and a long history of strong players coming from the area.

It hopefully means more emphasis on local women's college hockey instead.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

By the way, I’m guessing Montreal being mentioned twice has nothing to do with the possibility of Montreal having two teams, but is more of a testament of proofreading becoming a lost art in this day of internet journalism.

Fran Healy Error GIF by Travis

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mariucci Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 9798
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @iceburg

By the way, I’m guessing Montreal being mentioned twice has nothing to do with the possibility of Montreal having two teams, but is more of a testament of proofreading becoming a lost art in this day of internet journalism.

Fran Healy Error GIF by Travis

I suspect think your write.

The Young And The Restless Joke GIF by CBS

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iceburg and SkiUMahLaw reacted
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Micheletti Level

I wouldn't be so sure that the addition of Montreal for a second time wasn't supposed to be Minnesota and someone screwed it up.  From all the previous media coming out it sounded like there was a good chance one of the teams would be here based upon the large group that makes MSP their home.  

I definitely wouldn't write anything off yet from that one article.  

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Four Gophers mentioned. 30 rookies to watch.

https://thehockeynews.com/womens/college/30-ncaa-womens-hockey-rookies-watch-season

EDIT: Lindzi Avar is listed with the “other rookies to watch” in this article as a Wisconsin freshman. Unless there has been a change of heart that I am unaware of, Lindzi will be a senior at Minnetonka this coming season and a freshman at Cornell for the 2024-25 season.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

I wouldn't be so sure that the addition of Montreal for a second time wasn't supposed to be Minnesota and someone screwed it up.  From all the previous media coming out it sounded like there was a good chance one of the teams would be here based upon the large group that makes MSP their home.  

I definitely wouldn't write anything off yet from that one article.  

Looks like you are most likely correct.

New League Rumblings: This Is The Week

From “The Hockey News”:
Everyone has speculated locations and venues in recent weeks. Most agree that Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and Minnesota are the four most likely locations to be announced this week, as those were communicated to job candidates in interviews in recent weeks, but there is a chance the others have changed.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Micheletti Level

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/IanKennedyCK/status/1696314671018528866

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4433
Post on old board: 10695

That seems like an entirely reasonable choice of locations.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Six Cities Named For New Professional Women's Hockey League

Minnesota is reportedly set to play in St. Paul.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

PWHL's "Foundational" Details Explained

Mostly talks about player distribution.

OutofState OutofMind
(@outofstateoutofmind)
Wooger Level

"Players with remaining collegiate eligibility are permitted to declare for the draft."

I just hope that Abbey Murphy stays in college through 2027.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

The HockeyNews: Video: Natalie Darwitz Introduced As GM Of Minnesota's PWHL Team

The Rink Live: Minnesotan Natalie Darwitz among the six selected to be general managers in the PWHL

The other five general managers that were hired by the league include Danielle Marmer (Boston), Danièle Sauvageau (Montreal), Pascal Daoust (New York), Michael Hirshfeld (Ottawa), and Gina Kingsbury (Toronto)

Slap Shot reacted
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1878
Post on old board: 5631

So, who are the 3 best former Gophers available for Darwitz to sign before the draft?

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @j22

So, who are the 3 best former Gophers available for Darwitz to sign before the draft?

Heise, Zumwinkle, then either go a vet like Kessel or Levielle in goal,

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @j22

Heise, Zumwinkle, then either go a vet like Kessel or Levielle in goal,

I think (but I’m definitely not certain) that just graduated players aren’t eligible for the pre-draft signings. I think Stecklein would be a likely signing. I believe Kessel has a job with the Bruins, so she might want to play for an east coast team.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Is she limited to 3?

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

Is she limited to 3?

Yes, I believe each team is allowed to sign three players before the draft.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Actually my son tells me Kessel’s job is with the Penguins and that she said she is sitting out this coming season.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

From “The Hockey News”: Three Free Agency Targets For Each PWHL Team

Minnesota

When you know you can draft Taylor Heise or Alina Muller first overall, and likely pick up another young talent, perhaps a player like Grace Zumwinkle in the second or third round, you can look at other positions and roles in free agency. Minnesota native Lee Stecklein would provide top pairing security now and into the future, and the team could also lock in a future Hockey Hall of Famer in netminder Noora Räty who lives in Minnesota. She's the best active goalie on the planet, and although she's aging, the depth of young netminders coming up gives Minnesota a few seasons to worry about the next wave, but without stress. Finally, if there's an American born player teams will be fighting over in free agency, it's Abby Roque. She's a pest, and physical. She scores and is a fan favorite. Minnesota would be lucky to lock her in to help with the heavy lifting alongside whichever generational talent they select with the first pick. Wildcard to watch: It's presumed Amanda Kessel will try to stay in the east closer to her new job with the Pittsburgh Penguins, but she's a Minnesota legend at the NCAA level, and the right offer could reunite her with the state of hockey.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Micheletti Level

https://twitter.com/IanKennedyCK/status/1699195210880708955?t=snTELaK2UYIcB9pMghZzDg&s=19

Heise 1, Zumwinkle 6, Skaja 24, Boreen 25, Oden 30.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Page 12 / 16