87 Users
684 Likes
50 K Views
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6906
Post on old board: 18942

If I were there I don't think I'd hesitate to use that for a game when the temps are below zero.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12446
Post on old board: 9626

Posted by: @slap-shot

If I were there I don't think I'd hesitate to use that for a game when the temps are below zero.

Maybe more people will use it than I think. If it creates more revenue for the U, good for them. $50 a game for parking is more than what I pay for my seat in Mariucci.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7189
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @greyeagle

Can you say post game clusterf*ck?

right? I don’t see this working with post game traffic, but then again I can’t imagine many people wanting to spend more on parking than the ticket to the game.  What a money grab.  

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5585
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @cowgirl

Posted by: @greyeagle

Can you say post game clusterf*ck?

right? I don’t see this working with post game traffic, but then again I can’t imagine many people wanting to spend more on parking than the ticket to the game.  What a money grab.  

UofM and a money grab... shocking!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10411
Post on old board: 21741

The incoming cash is a good idea but valet parking for an event that dumps everyone out at the same time is always a cluster.  It will be beat the traffic x 10. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I assume pickup is near the front entrance? Short walk instead of to a lot plus a warm car.  I wouldn't do it often but of it's 10 below? 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I assume pickup is near the front entrance? Short walk instead of to a lot plus a warm car.  I wouldn't do it often but of it's 10 below? 

The pickup/drop off is on 4th street by the Sundet Lobby ( The end near Ridder). Since I never go that way, I'm not sure if there is a separate lane for drop offs.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

@gator I guess I look at it a different way in that they U is providing a service that some patrons might take advantage of.  This isn't going to make them rich for a couple of reasons:  There is still a cost to have valet drivers; and, they will likely park the cars in one of their lots where other paying people would normally park.  I'm guessing it nets an additional $10-15 per person that uses the valet service.  Over the course of the year (Assuming 100 cars X $15 X 20 home games) that's about $30K.  Nothing to sneeze at, but certainly not a money grab...

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4582
Post on old board: 10695

Offering something like this really isn't a money grab in my eyes.  The cost isn't completely ridiculous in context, and them offering this doesn't take anything away from what fans are already getting.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1264

I've mentioned a couple times, but the parking situation for some older folks is a major detractor from attending games in bad weather. I think $50 for valet is kind of just what it costs to run this service on campus. If it was too affordable, then it could really be a slow process to manage after the game.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

That makes a lot of sense.  Having to park a potentially significant distance away from the doors, walking in ice and very cold wind could easily stop some people from making the trip.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Posted by: @frozen4champs

The pickup/drop off is on 4th street by the Sundet Lobby ( The end near Ridder). Since I never go that way, I'm not sure if there is a separate lane for drop offs.

There isn't one, but the bike lane/shoulder is sporadically used for drop offs and pick ups.  I could see them formally marking that area as such in the future given that the third lane starts at Mariucci.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4545
Post on old board: 28736

People already complain about the ticket prices, so who other than Lou Nanne is going to use this? 

The people who would use this aren't the ones that are whining about ticket prices cause they don't care for various reasons...

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2290

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UElc_x3xEjg  

Wasn’t sure where else to put this but I found this little gem on youtube. 

Composer, Northern Gopher 218, Greyeagle and 1 people reacted

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

One week away from being halfway through the season and what are everyone’s thoughts on the three freshmen defenseman? I’ve been impressed with the entire freshmen class as a whole but I’m curious what people think about the defenseman in particular. Just because they were thrust into a D corps that is otherwise full of stud upperclassmen that already all knew and played with each other. 

Magic
(@magic)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 159

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

One week away from being halfway through the season and what are everyone’s thoughts on the three freshmen defenseman? I’ve been impressed with the entire freshmen class as a whole but I’m curious what people think about the defenseman in particular. Just because they were thrust into a D corps that is otherwise full of stud upperclassmen that already all knew and played with each other. 

L Mittelstadt and Chesley have been great. Thomas has been solid with limited playing time. Our overall defense has been great, but I still get a little nervous when teams plant themselves in front of Close and we can't move them.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7627
Post on old board: 35040

I think we are in prime position for the next 2 (hopefully 3) years. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10411
Post on old board: 21741

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UElc_x3xEjg  

Wasn’t sure where else to put this but I found this little gem on youtube. 

Great find!!

I know former asst. Bob Shier pretty well and remember him telling as story about Tom Newman's recruiting visit.  Newman had just led Blaine to a last second victory over Cretin-Derham hall for the state football title.  I believe Newman scored the game winning TD (or 2pt conversion) as time expired and there are still CDH people who insist he didn't cross the line.  Anyway, as part of the visit they brought Tom to Mancini's for dinner and Bob told him he should probably leave his Blaine letter jacket in the car.... ? 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Posted by: @magic

L Mittelstadt and Chesley have been great. Thomas has been solid with limited playing time. Our overall defense has been great, but I still get a little nervous when teams plant themselves in front of Close and we can't move them.

Completely agree. As I mentioned in the Wisconsin series thread that’s my main concern for next weekend. At least three of the Badgers goals against Michigan were scored that way. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Mittelstadt is where I thought he could be offensively, but has played better on defense that I anticipated.  LaCombe had 13 points as a freshman, and he already has 11. So he will fill that role next year.

Chesley has been solid, but has had a few games where he has struggled. I like that he is willing to throw his weight around.

I didn't know what to expect from Thomas. He has held his own for the most part, but is definitely 3rd in this group. I would prefer to see 55 play a few of the games in his place, but I understand that this will help in his growth for years to come.

These three won't be as dynamic as the 3 that will leave after this year, but the Gophers will be in good shape next year.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7378

I hope Chesley really elevates his play in the second half. He’s a beast when he plays to his potential. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Chesley is projecting just fine. He's ahead of most freshmen defensemen. It helps that he plays on a team with so much speed and firepower, and I have been very impressed with him this season. He played great against a team last weekend that had experienced players who have been around the league awhile - and he's getting better every game.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

https://twitter.com/uscho/status/1599814297516838913?s=46&t=C1h8mHmOO-NLObWIQVcTkg

Gophers jump St. Cloud who wiped North Dakota lol. Polls are goofy. Also Mich St jumps from 13 to 12???‍♂️

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1600165719177678848

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

So Sammy Walker won the 2019 B1G Freshman of the year award with 10 goals and 26 points through his entire first season. 

Jimmy Snuggerud is sitting at 11G 23P just EIGHTEEN games into his freshman season. 

The funny part is he probably won’t win the award either because Adam Fantilli is blowing everybody out of the water. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

So Sammy Walker won the 2019 B1G Freshman of the year award with 10 goals and 26 points through his entire first season. 

Jimmy Snuggerud is sitting at 11G 23P just EIGHTEEN games into his freshman season. 

The funny part is he probably won’t win the award either because Adam Fantilli is blowing everybody out of the water. 

I guess it depends how the voters look at it.

Fantilli has 26 points this year in 16 games, with 6 points in 6 B1G games.

Snuggy has 23 points in 18 games with 13 points in 10 B1G games. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1600912689857187841

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

I think the Gophers should totally offer Nelson a 5th year. That way they could give Jimmy Clark an extra year of juniors while simultaneously not creating a backup for 2024-25

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1600917742047010817

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1600875739129466880

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4340

I think the Gophers should totally offer Nelson a 5th year. That way they could give Jimmy Clark an extra year of juniors while simultaneously not creating a backup for 2024-25

If Nelson is open to playing another season, Bob should be "recruiting" him to do this like crazy. 

Greyeagle reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7189
Post on old board: 10120

I think on the last Gopher weekly podcast coach said the fifth year for Covid was stupid…so I gather he doesn’t like it and I wonder if that has played into any decisions regarding returnees…

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I'm not really a huge fan.  If you want to give an extra year to the Seniors that had their seasons summarily ended when the season was cancelled?  Ok, sure.  The rest of the players though?  They all get at least one more season, so why do they need a bonus year of eligibility?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @steve-mn

I'm not really a huge fan.  If you want to give an extra year to the Seniors that had their seasons summarily ended when the season was cancelled?  Ok, sure.  The rest of the players though?  They all get at least one more season, so why do they need a bonus year of eligibility?

It’s more for the Eastern teams that didn’t get a season that year. I’m glad Bob hasn’t played into the 5th year thing too much other than the Mike Richter winner wanting another kick at the can (you’re not gonna say no to that). The way Nelson is playing he may be offered a contract at the end of this year anyway so this speculation maybe much ado about nothing. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

I would speculate that student athletes were given the choice of playing or not playing during covid - no questions asked. By choosing not to play, you're given another year of eligibility. Because we like to make sure everybody gets a juice box, those players who opted to play also got the benefit of another year. That's just me spit balling.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

It’s more for the Eastern teams that didn’t get a season that year.

The Ivy league didn't have a season in 2020-2021.  Unless someone entered that year in the last year of eligibility due to age, they got the extra year after, so it wouldn't impact them.  The reasoning was because the 2019-2020 season got cancelled before it completed, they were giving a spare year.

EDIT:  I will say that the non-Ivy ECAC teams did get kind of screwed in that, but the rest of the conferences had actual seasons.  No real non-conference games other than the B1G playing ASU all year, but that's really it.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

The Ivy league didn't have a season in 2020-2021.  Unless someone entered that year in the last year of eligibility due to age, they got the extra year after, so it wouldn't impact them.  The reasoning was because the 2019-2020 season got cancelled before it completed, they were giving a spare year.

Nope the 5th year was for those who missed a 2020-21 season. Nanne and Zuhlsdorf and those guys (2019-20 senior class) were not given extra eligiblity. 

Edit: maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Nope the 5th year was for those who missed a 2020-21 season. Nanne and Zuhlsdorf and those guys (2019-20 senior class) were not given extra eligiblity. 

Interesting, I'd have to go look that up.  I thought they'd already set that going into the 2020-21 season

Edit:  If this was meant for the "missed 2020-21 season" this makes even less sense.  They could have said "anyone that doesn't play 2020-21 gets an automatic medical redshirt" and that would have covered everything.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

I think on the last Gopher weekly podcast coach said the fifth year for Covid was stupid…so I gather he doesn’t like it and I wonder if that has played into any decisions regarding returnees…

Yeah I heard him say this also. And I agree that in most cases it’s a dumb rule.

But, this one would benefit us lol. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/MinnesotaOnBTN/status/1600996665674047493

Slap Shot reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The rule might be "stupid" but it would be equally stupid not to take advantage of it at the expense of losing a competitive edge.  Not arguing there's a player on this roster it "has to be" used for I'm just saying in general.  

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

The rule might be "stupid" but it would be equally stupid not to take advantage of it at the expense of losing a competitive edge.  Not arguing there's a player on this roster it "has to be" used for I'm just saying in general.  

No argument there.  It's not s good rule, but it IS the rule.  As such, I would like to see Nelson back another year 

I can understand tBob not liking the rule, but when it improves the team overall to use it, you absolutely should do so.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1989

No argument there.  It's not s good rule, but it IS the rule.  As such, I would like to see Nelson back another year 

I can understand tBob not liking the rule, but when it improves the team overall to use it, you absolutely should do so.

Like the old saying about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I'm guessing that the extra covid year and the transfer portal is frustrating to coaches like Bob who have worked very hard to land the best recruiting classes in the country. Once his future classes were filled out, he could mostly move on to the next class, only having to worry about losing some top end talent early. Now, if a player doesn't like his situation ( Broz, Lucius) they can just up and leave. It also gives teams who normally are not great recruiters a chance to grab covid players or transfers without doing the legwork and creates more parity. I can see how this might agitate Bob. That said, he now has to adjust to the new world of recruiting and roster management and should be more willing to keep a 5th year guy when the opportunity presents its self.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1989

I'm guessing that the extra covid year and the transfer portal is frustrating to coaches like Bob who have worked very hard to land the best recruiting classes in the country. Once his future classes were filled out, he could mostly move on to the next class, only having to worry about losing some top end talent early. Now, if a player doesn't like his situation ( Broz, Lucius) they can just up and leave. It also gives teams who normally are not great recruiters a chance to grab covid players or transfers without doing the legwork and creates more parity. I can see how this might agitate Bob. That said, he now has to adjust to the new world of recruiting and roster management and should be more willing to keep a 5th year guy when the opportunity presents its self.

Yeah, keeping Cruikshank another year wouldn't have been the worst thing.

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1264

Posted by: @norm

Yeah, keeping Cruikshank another year wouldn't have been the worst thing.

I know we've covered this on the podcast, but they didn't have any money for Cruikshank right away. Motzko let him know that he could come back, but they didn't have any scholarship money at that point because of promises to recruits coming in the next year. I think they had to make some tough calls with Sorenson, Perbix as it was. I think Broz leaving was a suprise, but Cruikshank had already found a home with SCSU when that news hit.

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 738

At the beginning of the season, I hoped this team would make it to the Frozen Four. After the first half of the season this team is looking like the favorite to contend for the national championship. If the season ended today 5 BIG teams would make the tournament and only 2 NCHC teams. If the Gophers can continue to improve every week and stay healthy, they will be hard to beat no matter who they face. Go Gophers!

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherfun83

At the beginning of the season, I hoped this team would make it to the Frozen Four. After the first half of the season this team is looking like the favorite to contend for the national championship. If the season ended today 5 BIG teams would make the tournament and only 2 NCHC teams. If the Gophers can continue to improve every week and stay healthy, they will be hard to beat no matter who they face. Go Gophers!

I am 100% fully invested in this team and love their title chances. Doing my best to enjoy each game of the season, but man it’s hard not to think about the NCAA’s. I’ll take us against anyone. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5141

Re: Cruikshank. 

I’m tired of seeing the “Bob didn’t use him correctly” stuff too. He had every opportunity here. Some top six time when shuffling was going on, PP and PK duties, etc… 

The puzzle pieces just didn’t fit. It happens. He’s a great player, Gophers are a great team, they didn’t work together. C’est la vie. 

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

The best part about the first half is that we don't have a Virg Foss Award-type resume where we beat up on a bunch of basement teams.  The conference is strong this year and we've already been around it once winning all but two games.  We will have to face them all again plus SCSU, but as long as we keep bringing our lunch pails, we're going to be in great shape in March/April.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Page 4 / 26