87 Users
684 Likes
50 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7378

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Honestly who cares if they’re not Minnesotan? I just don’t understand how that matters. Just win games and compete for the title every year.

I don’t need 26 of 26 scholarships to be Minnesotan but I take pride in the bulk of the team being local MN kids. Not to mention the kids themselves feel the pride of wearing the M as a lot of them grew up as fans. 

Norm, gator, MinnesotaKnies218 and 1 people reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4340

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Honestly who cares if they’re not Minnesotan? I just don’t understand how that matters. Just win games and compete for the title every year.

I don’t need 26 of 26 scholarships to be Minnesotan but I take pride in the bulk of the team being local MN kids. Not to mention the kids themselves feel the pride of wearing the M as a lot of them grew up as fans. 

Fair. I take a lot of pride in the Minnesotan aspect too. And there is definitely something to kids like Faber and LaCombe taking pride in wearing the M and understanding the importance of Gopher Hockey. I have no doubt that they feel more loyalty to the program, and we have been rewarded with them staying an “extra” year because of it.

I guess my point was part of the allure of Gopher Hockey and the history of our program is the ability to get blue chips from anywhere (i.e. Knies and Cooley). And we should keep using this to our advantage. I ultimately want the best product on the ice and I don’t care where the players are from that do this. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7627
Post on old board: 35040

For me, having all MN would be a very nice bonus but the ultimate product is what I am really after, with some limits. Don't want to be MSU-M with a bunch of 25 YOs. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5586
Post on old board: 16243

I’m pretty sure Minnesota’s ‘Pride on Ice’  phrase all started back with Woog and his all Minnesota lineup. It was a prideful thing to have and something that stood out to other rosters. Lucia changed that up a bit with a roster majority of Minnesotans and a handful of non. And the “U”s roster will continue to look that way.
The one thing I miss is when they would announce a player in the starting line ups and if he was from Minnesota. They would only announce the city and not the “Minnesota”. Even this years with the Minnesota players in the pregame promo. They say they’re city and Minnesota. Just something I thought was unique and cool. And as @the-rube would say “Minnesota Arrogance”.

Keep your stick on the ice...

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @mnstate0fhockey

The Gophers won two NCAA titles with just in-state players.  I don’t know of another college program, in any sport, that has done that.

There was a non Minnesotan (2001-2002) and non Minnesotans (2002-2003) on the rosters. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6907
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @gator

The Gophers won two NCAA titles with just in-state players.  I don’t know of another college program, in any sport, that has done that.

There was a non Minnesotan (2001-2002) and non Minnesotans (2002-2003) on the rosters. 

He might be referring to the Herbie years.

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 588

Yup.  I was referring to players who played games on our 1976 and 1979 championship teams.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Jim Boo from Missouri was on the ‘76 Championship roster, but you are correct with ‘79 Championship roster.

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level

Jim Boo from Missouri was on the ‘76 Championship roster, but you are correct with ‘79 Championship roster.

?

alignrock
(@alignrock)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 73

Imagine looking back on these couple of seasons and preferring we had someone other than Close in net. I agree with everyone on the point of pride in having the bulk of the skaters be Minnesotan....but even as certain people acted butt hurt about the changing recruiting, it never got close to 50/50 Minnesotan to Non.  It's always been a stupid, non-issue IMO.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10418
Post on old board: 21741

If I recall correctly Boo born in MO but grew up in and played for White Bear if I recall correctly.  He was a fun player to watch and a definite fan favorite......Boo didn't back down (or lose) to anyone if/when he dropped the gloves.

He's been a real estate agent and developer, on the east & north side of the Twin Cities for many years, in fact he's part of the team developing a high end neighborhood on the north side of the lake YE's sister's cabin is on.  It's the site of an old school and some homes are directly on the lake and others have access via a private park and marina for residents.  The homes directly on the lake are well north of $1MM and whenever I putter past I get sentimental for Jim's playing days and "Booooooo!" as I go past.  ? 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1989

Yup.  I was referring to players who played games on our 1976 and 1979 championship teams.

What about 1974?

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

I’m pretty sure Minnesota’s ‘Pride on Ice’  phrase all started back with Woog and his all Minnesota lineup. It was a prideful thing to have and something that stood out to other rosters. Lucia changed that up a bit with a roster majority of Minnesotans and a handful of non. And the “U”s roster will continue to look that way.
The one thing I miss is when they would announce a player in the starting line ups and if he was from Minnesota. They would only announce the city and not the “Minnesota”. Even this years with the Minnesota players in the pregame promo. They say they’re city and Minnesota. Just something I thought was unique and cool. And as @the-rube would say “Minnesota Arrogance”.

Jamie still does this when he announces the lineup. He will not say Minnesota if the player is from Minnesota. Just the city. He will add city or province if they are out of state. When there is a fill in, they will always add Minnesota. 

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @norm

What about 1974?

1974 all Minnesotans except a backup goalie who only saw action in one game from Canada.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

If I recall correctly Boo born in MO but grew up in and played for White Bear if I recall correctly.  He was a fun player to watch and a definite fan favorite......Boo didn't back down (or lose) to anyone if/when he dropped the gloves.

He's been a real estate agent and developer, on the east & north side of the Twin Cities for many years, in fact he's part of the team developing a high end neighborhood on the north side of the lake YE's sister's cabin is on.  It's the site of an old school and some homes are directly on the lake and others have access via a private park and marina for residents.  The homes directly on the lake are well north of $1MM and whenever I putter past I get sentimental for Jim's playing days and "Booooooo!" as I go past.  ? 

Got me thinking and I did some more research.  Boo was born in Missouri and his hometown is listed as Mahtomedi.  When I saw Boo I confused mistaken him for John Blue who was from Cali and played around 10 years later.  My bad...

@mnstate0fhockey, my bad.  It looks like you were correct for 1976.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4545
Post on old board: 28736

I don't care...never have.  I care about where they choose to play not where they happened to grow up.

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @handyman

I don't care...never have.  I care about where they choose to play not where they happened to grow up.

And that is fine too.

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @alignrock

Imagine looking back on these couple of seasons and preferring we had someone other than Close in net. I agree with everyone on the point of pride in having the bulk of the skaters be Minnesotan....but even as certain people acted butt hurt about the changing recruiting, it never got close to 50/50 Minnesotan to Non.  It's always been a stupid, non-issue IMO.

It’s a matter of opinion.  Personally, I don’t think either Minnesota Hockey or Gopher Hockey are what they are today without the Gophers giving local kids opportunities in the early days versus heavily recruiting in Canada.  It is what has differentiated us from Wisconsin in terms of youth talent.

I am glad we had that tradition up thru Woog’s tenure and used to think it was special as a young fan going to games.  I have even talked to nice fans of opposing schools who remember those days and admit it was special.

But the viability of recruiting that way has passed us by for reasons mentioned and I have no issues with the Gophers looking for the best players, regardless of where they are from.

Times change.  But I would strongly disagree with it being “stupid”.

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @greyeagle

Got me thinking and I did some more research.  Boo was born in Missouri and his hometown is listed as Mahtomedi.  When I saw Boo I confused mistaken him for John Blue who was from Cali and played around 10 years later.  My bad...

@mnstate0fhockey, my bad.  It looks like you were correct for 1976.

No prob! 

gator reacted
alignrock
(@alignrock)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 73

It’s a matter of opinion.  Personally, I don’t think either Minnesota Hockey or Gopher Hockey are what they are today without the Gophers giving local kids opportunities in the early days versus heavily recruiting in Canada.  It is what has differentiated us from Wisconsin in terms of youth talent.

I am glad we had that tradition up thru Woog’s tenure and used to think it was special as a young fan going to games.  I have even talked to nice fans of opposing schools who remember those days and admit it was special.

But the viability of recruiting that way has passed us by for reasons mentioned and I have no issues with the Gophers looking for the best players, regardless of where they are from.

What I meant by "stupid" is that even at the highest, recent occurrence of rostered players being from out of state, the majority of the roster was still Minnesotan....and in addition to that point, Sam Warning and Nate Condon just as a couple examples, were memorable 4 year players who represented the M as well as guys like Rau IMO.  I dunno, just felt like we started to lament something that wasn't truly happening to the level everyone was predicting it was starting to.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@snowcool08 

Jamie wasn't working the game on Saturday and his replacement was saying "Minnesota".  So it caught my attention.  

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level

What I meant by "stupid" is that even at the highest, recent occurrence of rostered players being from out of state, the majority of the roster was still Minnesotan....and in addition to that point, Sam Warning and Nate Condon just as a couple examples, were memorable 4 year players who represented the M as well as guys like Rau IMO.  I dunno, just felt like we started to lament something that wasn't truly happening to the level everyone was predicting it was starting to.

That’s a fair point.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2487
Post on old board: 7833

Jim Boo played his high school hockey at Mahtomedi (the Warren Strelow years) and did some seasoning with the Vulcans before arriving at the “U”.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1989

Obviously I want the coaches to put together the best team they can, but there's something extra special about having a mostly Minnesota roster.

Cowgirl, MN State 0f Hockey, Rau4SkiUMah and 1 people reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

High praise. Wow. 

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1234
Post on old board: 5215

What about 1974?

1974 all Minnesotans except a backup goalie who only saw action in one game from Canada.

Despite said goalie, I remember the rallying cry of the '73-'74 NCAA championship team: "All Americans with no 'All Americans'". We all latched on to that one.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

High praise. Wow. 

Nanne is all in. They talked Gophers for about 5 minutes and it was all him praising the team. He thinks they’re going all the way. 

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @chris83

What about 1974?

Despite said goalie, I remember the rallying cry of the '73-'74 NCAA championship team: "All Americans with no 'All Americans'". We all latched on to that one.

I love that!

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

High praise. Wow. 

Nanne is all in. They talked Gophers for about 5 minutes and it was all him praising the team. He thinks they’re going all the way. 

Bill Murray Good Luck GIF by reactionseditor

HandyNotDan reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12447
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/MinnesotaOnBTN/status/1620850886657581056

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2487
Post on old board: 7833

A fun little clip. Needed some proofing though, the picture that was supposed to be Don Micheletti was actually Tim Harrer.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Maybe he can play on the 4th line like when he was a freshman ? 

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1620895589671084047

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

So cool!

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Has to be one of the most likeable players ever.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4582
Post on old board: 10695

Can we sneak him back with a COVID year? 😀

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Greyeagle reacted
MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

If there’s one game or play that sticks out in my mind over the years, that game against wisco is one of them - you just had a feeling that when the badger player sold out for the block & Schmidt stepped around him, the shot was destined to go in.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Basketball team ensuring more butts in seats at Mariucci to close out the year

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2290

Basketball team ensuring more butts in seats at Mariucci to close out the year

I’ll obviously always be hockey first, by a long shot. But boy, do you have to feel for that team and coach Johnson. I hope it works out for him. Being a local guy and alumni you can tell how much he wants Gopher basketball to be successful but it is just not clicking so far. 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7197
Post on old board: 10120

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1621184186898911233?s=20&t=2bn7Z7n0-WnVcbEWhSxW2w

My suggestion did not make it ☹️ 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7197
Post on old board: 10120

I’m not sure I get karat gold - was there supposed to be a number in front of that?

Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Rep Pts: 10

@cowgirl 18 karat, 24 karat....not sure there is a 22 karat

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5141

Posted by: @bullwinkle

@cowgirl 18 karat, 24 karat....not sure there is a 22 karat

There is. Only used for fancy jewelry for special occasions because it is pretty soft.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't like any of those.  ? 

The Jims reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @cowgirl

I’m not sure I get karat gold - was there supposed to be a number in front of that?

The degree of difficulty of the question may now be deduced by the inadequacy of the answer. All of these feel like a thud to me.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

I think for a line to get a name: 1. It has to be a special line 2. It's gotta be a good name. I hate it when you they seem so forced to give every line a name. They should just come naturally. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4545
Post on old board: 28736

I don't get the references outside of karat gold...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @northerngopher218

I think for a line to get a name: 1. It has to be a special line 2. It's gotta be a good name. I hate it when you they seem so forced to give every line a name. They should just come naturally. 

100% agree.  It has to be unique or an obvious reference to something. They really needed to focus in on the fact that Nelson is a Farm Kid from outstate Mn. That is unique and special. That should be the center of it. Unfortunately, finding something to connect Nevers and Brodz to that was tough. The best I could come up with was The Town and Country Line. 

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1193

I don't get the references outside of karat gold...

I'm pretty sure N64 refers to the sum of their jersey numbers.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Page 11 / 26