88 Users
742 Likes
61.7 K Views
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5139

Posted by: @trixr4kids

One thing to keep in mind is that they assign a minus for any goals that get scored against you in an empty net situation. So top 6 players stuck on bad teams tend to lead the league in the minus category. 

Especially when you consider that power play goals aren’t factored in, either. 

trixR4kids reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7365

One thing to keep in mind is that they assign a minus for any goals that get scored against you in an empty net situation. So top 6 players stuck on bad teams tend to lead the league in the minus category. 

Logan Cooley leads the nation in +/- and he’s the first guy over the boards with an empty net if he isn’t already on the ice. 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2137
Post on old board: 15139

Right, he wasn’t in that many empty net come from behind situations because his team was generally leading. Also you get a plus when scoring on an opposing empty net, so aside from how dominant that line was all year yeah I’m not surprised.

Like I said that issue mostly applies to bad teams that need to pull their goalie a lot.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

All I’m saying is the “stud” from UND should be able to scrape his way above the even mark if he’s putting up 40 points a season. Sounds like a defensive liability to me. 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Minus four is really close to even and if you’re consistently on the ice in empty net situations that alone can explain it. That stat is garbage for a whole lot of other reasons (5th year LaFontaine would be an upgrade over their goalies) but that’s just one obvious flaw.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4534
Post on old board: 28736

+/- is such a garbage stat.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6891
Post on old board: 18942

Make of this what you will:

There were 40 players with 0.97 pts/gm or higher - Gaber was at 0.95.  Only 9 of the 40 had a negative plus/minus.  Lucius, 3 from Stonehill, 1 each from Lindenwood, Long Island and ASU, Gaber and Jackson Blake. By comparison Hunter Johannes had 29 points in 28 games for Lindenwood and was a plus 12.  

UND won 12 games and tied 8.  UW won 13 and tied 0, Lindenwood 5 and 1, Long Island 7 and 1, ASU 18 and 0. 

fwiw UND gave up 3 EN goals during the season.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

I would assume most players that are a point per game or higher would play on good teams and have a positive plus/minus. Either way that stat has been studied for years now and its reliability/repeatability is practically non-existent which is why nobody takes it seriously, especially if you’re trying to predict a player’s future impact.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Since when did you get in the sue defending business?

trixR4kids reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Well he’s probably a terrible human being for choosing that team I just hate plus minus? 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2196

i don't know how anyone could sell Gaber coming back as being a negative for the Whioux. He's a good player

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1779
Post on old board: 8686

Really glad the NCAA regionals are close competitive games. Exciting hockey. ?‍♂️

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1948
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @jwg

Really glad the NCAA regionals are close competitive games. Exciting hockey. ?‍♂️

It's a lot like Wednesday of the class A State tourney. 

Iceburg reacted
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3908
Post on old board: 9428

Who gives a shit about the 27th anniversary of the MI goal, Jesus this is 7-8th time I’ve seen them bring it up

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7159
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @bigbeer

Who gives a shit about the 27th anniversary of the MI goal, Jesus this is 7-8th time I’ve seen them bring it up

I just had a couple friends say they’ve never heard it called “the Michigan”.  I told them they’ve been living under a rock the last 20 years.  ?

it’s a lacrosse goal, damn it.  

Bigbeer reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1779
Post on old board: 8686

B1G - 33

CCHA - 0

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

What a weird tourney. Games tomorrow and Sunday should be great. 

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1135
Post on old board: 6069

There have been some brutal goals given up and coaches not willing to pull goalies. It’s almost like they’re not aware it’s a one and done. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Well he’s probably a terrible human being for choosing that team I just hate plus minus? 

It would have more reliability if it took into account all situations.  Not to mention you can be awful on defense but if your teammates can score often enough it can shield you.

Plenty of forwards have decent +/- and rarely see their own blue line.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4331

Draftkings odds for the Regional finals:

A1BE3C4F 886A 424A A47E A435B39C959D

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5582
Post on old board: 16243

@mikeeruzione11 

Pretty consistent in 3 of 4 games. Though there has never been much money and interest in college hockey. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Update:

Minnesota - 9-2

Ohio State -8-1

Penn State - 8-0

Michigan - 11-1

B10 out scores opponents 36-4 in the first round 

gator reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7617
Post on old board: 35040

NCHC is still the best conference though. Or something. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

I mean…when you look at the last decade of title winners the B10 is gonna have to do better than hopefully one good year. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

The tide is turning, that's all I'm saying. You think DU or CC or UND etc is gonna bring in money like the B1G? The B1G is prob gonna be the SEC Football of hockey. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

HandyNotDan and gator reacted
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

The tide is turning, that's all I'm saying. You think DU or CC or UND etc is gonna bring in money like the B1G? The B1G is prob gonna be the SEC Football of hockey. 

If we’re talking money isn’t it already?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

The $$$$$$$ is going to make an impact eventually. I think this year is showing it has begun. Even if the offenses go silent and they don’t win the chip, this is a shot across the bow.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5582
Post on old board: 16243

That’s the amusing part of the BIG. UND fans can yap all day long how weak the BIG. Though if the BIG offered UND the 8th spot, they would be signing the dotted line before the print ink was dry.

Keep your stick on the ice...

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

The $$$$$$$ is going to make an impact eventually. I think this year is showing it has begun. Even if the offenses go silent and they don’t win the chip, this is a shot across the bow.

This

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

This

I think the venues is the key. If B10 money allows OSU to get out of that joke and into their own cool arena that would make almost every B10 hockey venue a really cool experience both in person and on TV. That’s a key to attracting eyes. (Except for Madison <fart noise>>>)

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1639389953216987137?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

every situation is different, but I like to see high draft picks stay in college

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

I mean…when you look at the last decade of title winners the B10 is gonna have to do better than hopefully one good year. 

They will.  I know people don't want to hear it but the Big Ten is becoming the premier hockey conference.  If Wisconsin can hire a halfway decent coach and Nightingale is as good as some think the Big Ten is going to be the place recruits flock to even more than now.  We have the name schools (ones with recognition beyond hockey) we have the facilities and the resources.  Plus we have access to the best talent.

There is a reason lots of schools and their fans geared this happening...

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Good Lord - I woke up to see that Michigan told the Gophers, OSU and PSU to hold their beer.

Cowgirl reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

And look what is in the pipeline for talent...these kids don't care about what existed before like our fuddy daddy fans do they want to play for national brands.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1639389953216987137?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

every situation is different, but I like to see high draft picks stay in college

HEA needs BC to be a power.  Just like the BTHC needs the Gophs and Michigan.  You need the team everyone hates, the team that raises the tide.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

HEA needs BC to be a power.  Just like the BTHC needs the Gophs and Michigan.  You need the team everyone hates, the team that raises the tide.

Agreed. BC has an unbelievable recruiting class coming in next year too. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12430
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Jonny Sorenson was on Beyond the Pond this morning. Had nothing but great things to say about Bob and the team. Said Bob recruits great kids.  Discussed his decision to leave the U. Graduated in 3 years at the U and wanted a 2 year additional graduate degree and wanted to do it in 1 place. He knew he wouldn't be able to do it at Mn. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Eric Vegoe reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Good for him!!

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

The teams playing B1G teams today and tomorrow will have to have it in the back of their minds that they need to be careful after the explosive results from the earlier results.  I don’t think SCSU will be affected much, but the other teams might be a bit tentative. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I really like Jonny. Great attitude and anyone that knows him loves him. Get the impression he brings some levity to the table. Who knows when we’ll have another Oriole on the team!

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1223
Post on old board: 5547

Who are the final 3 for the Hobey Baker award

Aloha!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gopher6

Who are the final 3 for the Hobey Baker award

They are down to top ten. Have not announced the final 3 yet.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Now that Hastings, Larson, Rohlik, and Ferschweiler are now out of the tourney, do the BADgers make an aggressive move on any of these? With the portal in full bloom, you would think they would be wise to make a decision soon unless they are looking at the USA coach.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1684

If Rohlik stays they better build him a rink. He’s made that program competitive year in and year out.  Matching that with their women’s program being the team to beat over the past year… OSU is in a spot many envy in college hockey.. and to keep that they need to invest in proper facilities. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

NYC Gopher fan
(@nyc-gopher-fan)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 140

Agree on Rohlik. I’ve always liked Big Steve- we’ve called him that as his father used to be my grade school principal and Steve would come be our lunchroom and recess monitor right after his playing days at Wisco. 

curious to see if wisco goes after him hard or not. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status/1640425785453363203

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status/1640425785453363203

Whoa - thats big for them.

Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

Notre Dame and Michigan State feeling left out of the all the fun, making some noise.

Sconny still laying by the roadside...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/mattwellens/status/1640487700225466368

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1223
Post on old board: 5547

@driftryder 

sconny sucks nobody wants to coach them

Aloha!

Driftryder reacted
Page 38 / 44