0 Likes
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1869

Chris83 wrote:

Chill Kessel wrote:

If they scored would you all be criticizing the move?

My reaction would be "Cool that they tied it up. I certainly wouldn't have pulled the goalie with 4 minutes left"...and my thinking would have been wrong in that case. As it happened, Michigan scored almost immediately and the game (and season for Quinnipiac) was over.

The thing is, they were doing great 5 on 5 so why not leave well enough alone. (at least for a couple of minutes.)

MissotaGopher14
(@missotagopher14)
Rep Pts: 7

That 7th goal for Michigan was beautiful. I don’t get the Power hype, he’s not even top 3 on the team watching them several times this year

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

I am praying DU upsets them

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3863
Post on old board: 9428

MissotaGopher14 wrote:

That 7th goal for Michigan was beautiful. I don’t get the Power hype, he’s not even top 3 on the team watching them several times this year

Yeah Hughes seems like the stud D for them

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7080

Last time I checked Michigan has lost 9 games this season including 4 to Notre Dame and 2 to the Gophers.

If it ends up being the Gophers vs. Michigan in the Championship game I heard Coach Motzko is planning on having Coach Jeff Jackson on the bench as an assistant coach. Wink

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 725

I can't honestly say pulling the goalie too early is a bad call. Basically it's always a gamble, sometimes it pays off, this time it didn't. It's really easy to second guess.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1760
Post on old board: 8686

If you can keep MI off the score sheet and not spot them 4 goals they’re very beatable. They don’t have consistent defense and rely on outscoring. We’ve seen it the past 3 games, but the hole was too big.

MSU scares me the most. More because I think theyre in our head.

USHANABI
(@ushanabi)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 183

Michigan is "BUSH LEAGUE" ( choosing to kill Quinnipiac's momentum with a bogus "pad" something or other . . . [ similar to not playing a game, for some reason or other . . . ] ). :dup:

Go Denver Pioneers! Score at least 7 and shut them out [(and up )! :dup:

Not knowing what to do, they do what they know . . .
Knowing what to do, they sometime don't do it . . .
The 26th year of the Gopher Men's Hockey Profile got to be too much for this ol' codger to handle . . . what with all of the possible activity on the transfer portal . . . . So, I'm closing it down at the 25th year . . .

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 476

gopherfun83 wrote:

I can't honestly say pulling the goalie too early is a bad call. Basically it's always a gamble, sometimes it pays off, this time it didn't. It's really easy to second guess.

It used to be one minute, or thereabouts, when coaches would look to pull his goaltender in favor of an extra skater. That standard has gradually moved up to two minutes, or even a little more, depending on puck possession and momentum. I think most coaches today would agree that four minutes gives the opponent too much time to gain possession - whether by skill or good fortune - and score into the empty net and effectively end the game, possibly with several minutes remaining.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6611
Post on old board: 18942

JWG wrote:

If you can keep MI off the score sheet and not spot them 4 goals they’re very beatable. They don’t have consistent defense and rely on outscoring. We’ve seen it the past 3 games, but the hole was too big.

MSU scares me the most. More because I think theyre in our head.

They're not in this team's head. If they lose to Kato its because they simply got beat - this roster isn't losing the mind game.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2479
Post on old board: 15478

It's definitely in the fans' heads though! :)

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

streakygopher wrote:

It's definitely in the fans' heads though! :)

Hi Scooby! Mr. Green

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5474
Post on old board: 16243
Topic starter  

GOPHERS/DU or GOPHERS/Michigan... I don't care. Just GOPHERS/DU and not hearing all about Michigan's draft pick would make Championship night all the more tolerable.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Doc Holliday
(@doc-holliday)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 113

When did pulling the goalie earlier become a thing? Is there metrics that supported it, so it became a thing? Did Patrick Roy start it, had a tiny bit of success, and others started to do it? I guess I remember North Dakota & Blais doing it sometimes if they were down & they got a power play with like 2 or 3 minutes left so it could be a 6 on 4.

I'd be interested what the stats say, but my belief is if you're only down 1 goal, anything earlier than 2:00 remaining seems risky. Obviously other factors involved in terms of how the game is going, but Q-Pac seemed like the flow was in their favor & it wasn't worth the risk that early.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1760
Post on old board: 8686

This article isn't all that interesting but it's hockey regional coverage (I'll save you some time, MN is only mentioned in #1 quoted below):

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2022-03-27/5-memorable-storylines-2022-ncaa-mens-hockey-regional-finals?fbclid=IwAR3MJvy4smXR64mYTSQOy1Ri0cc-3diRBarbicqUxxY9XlmkqTO1-5zP5h4

Quote:
1. Defense reigned supreme

The common thread among the first three regional finals — Denver-Minnesota Duluth, Minnesota St.-Notre Dame, Minnesota-Western Michigan — was each team looked to be playing a game centered around limiting the opposition.

Denver shut down Minnesota Duluth in its own zone and limited the Bulldogs to 25 shots. Still, neither team budged when it came to taking chances — both focused on shutting things down in their own zone.

The same happened in Minnesota State-Notre Dame and Minnesota-Western Michigan.

A good example of this was once Minnesota went up 2-0 early in the third period, the Gophers focused on clogging the middle of their own zone and preventing Western Michigan from getting any good offensive looks. Even in the dying minutes of the game, the Broncos were unable to get shots from high-danger areas.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The Gophers surely worked to limit WMU's chances and they blocked quite a few shots, but just as important I thought the Gophers dominated puck possession. Your opponent can't shoot the puck if they don't have it.

Page 18 / 18