Final Five Return Not Exactly Worth The Wait

This is where the Home Page Articles reside

Postby Cardinal » Sat 3/17/12 7:07 am

I’ll keep this brief since the more I type, the more likely I am to say something I’ll regret, and given the fan base I’m writing towards plus the magnitude of the game, I’m guessing most people saw what happened and aren’t in a big-time hurry to relive it.

There aren’t many moments over my 20 years or so of cheering for the Gophers that I can say I was embarrassed, but the third period of Friday’s loss to North Dakota was one of them. To completely dominate a team for the first 40 minutes of a playoff hockey game and then to come out with ZERO fight or effort in the third period when you KNEW the Sioux were going to come as hard as they possibly could is a total joke. This wasn’t about X’s and O’s or line matchups; this was about the Sioux throwing the kitchen sink at the Gophers and Minnesota subsequently playing scared and watching a 3-0 lead in the second period morph into a 6-3 loss.

Now the Gophers will almost assuredly be a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, while North Dakota will probably be the No. 1 seed in the West Regional if they can beat a gassed Denver team on Saturday. So, these two teams could meet in the regional final next Sunday on the same sheet of ice as they played on tonight. I’m fairly confident UND will be there. The Gophers? Not so much given Friday’s meltdown.
Cardinal
Golden

Re: Final Five Return Not Exactly Worth The Wait

Postby Six Hole » Sat 3/17/12 8:20 am

My favorite part was when the Gophers returned to the ice for the third, collectively dropped trou and, impressively, defecated in unison. Helluva an effort last night.
Six Hole
Super Vet

Postby CTB » Sat 3/17/12 8:54 am

Well they certainly quit in the third. The good news... This team seems to bounce back with some wins after crapping on themselves. Four wins puts them where?
CTB
Rookie

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Sat 3/17/12 9:08 am

some body for got to tell the boys its a 60 minute game.need to put it behind them and go get the next 2. the important ones.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby Jeff Oftos » Sat 3/17/12 9:12 am

I had a recap written about the game; but couldn't post it due to GPL being down at that time last night. I wasn't feeling well so I went to bed early and was going to post this morning; but Ryan's update is enough said about that putrid excuse for an effort.

The last 4 - 6 years this program just hasn't been able to respond to getting punched in the face. We'll see if they have turned a corner as a program next weekend, or if it's more of the same weak, limp wristed excuses.
Jeff Oftos
Veteran

Postby vant0037 » Sat 3/17/12 9:34 am

I've relieved this already, by reading the Strib recap.

God I hate losing to the Sioux, but especially so ugly.

But here's the silver lining: the Gophers still can win when it comes and make this game a moot point. I posted here before saying I'd rather have them celebrating in April than March.

And if a regional final pits the Gophers and Sioux again? I like our chances. This is still the same Sioux team that the Gophers took 3 of 4 against (one of them handily, might I add) during the regular season.

This is a tough loss. It suck. Its embarrassing. I hate the Sioux. etc etc etc X 1000.

I know no one wants to hear an upbeat spin after that debacle, but let's get over it. Next weekend's what counts now, and I promise you, wins next weekend will cure all.
vant0037
Rookie

Postby segoots14 » Sat 3/17/12 11:19 am

To be honest, how many teams win the regular season title, the playoff title AND the NCAA title? Not many. Just looking on the positive side...

As (insert expletive or negative phrase here) a third period as that was, they completely dominated them for 2 periods. That was very encouraging to see.

If they can recover from that third period and focus on the fact that they were doing everything right for 2/3 periods, they should be just fine. I would rather play UND again than UMD, which is what most likely would have happened had the Gophers won that game.
segoots14

Postby pevan » Sat 3/17/12 12:11 pm

Probably the worst period of hockey I've seen played. The entire team played badly. Any word on why Haula was centering Rau and Buddish?
pevan

Postby Webbo » Sat 3/17/12 1:16 pm

How many more years of MEDIOCRE Don Lucia hockey are we going to have to put up with ?
I can understand why nobody on this site wants to rehash last night, because it was BUTT UGLY!

The Gophers totally dominated UND for one period and then put it on cruise control to defeat!

What did Lucia do -- IF ANYTHING -- as this collapse was happening before his very eyes?
I didn't see him bound and gagged.
All I saw every time the camera turned his way was this dumb look of DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS.

Lucia just stood there and did nothing.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, HERBIE WOULD HAVE BEEN SCREAMING IN THEIR FACES!

Hakstol won that game when he called a Timeout and brought his boys to the bench for a little reality check.

Where was Lucia's timeout ??????
How many more Sioux goals did he have to see before he DID SOMETHING?

Traditional rival Wisconsin came into Marriucci on the last weekend of the regular season,
and Gopher Pride was a no-show. Lose on Friday and salvage a title on Saturday.

Minnesota meets North Dakota in the semifinals of the very last WCHA Final Five the Gophers will play in
for the forseeable future and what do they do?
Do they send North Dakota a final message of adios to puncutate the Blake Wheeler triumph ?
No, the Gophers lay down like a Lake Street Hooker.

Too bad Denver and UMD didn't play so many overtimes that WCHA officials would have had to
postpone the Gopher-Sioux game to Saturday instead.

I appreciate the optimism of those who want to look forward to the NCAA tournament, but in all honesty,
how can we have any realistic hope at all after what we saw from the Gophers against Wisconsin and
North Dakota.

Look to next week? Look to next year?

Great, Lucia's Gophers can go from being an also-ran in the WCHA to being
an also-ran in the new Big 10 Hockey Conference.
Webbo

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Sat 3/17/12 1:31 pm

we dont need you webbo take a hike.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby gopheritall » Sat 3/17/12 1:35 pm

Webbo wrote:Great, Lucia's Gophers can go from being an also-ran in the WCHA to being
an also-ran in the new Big 10 Hockey Conference.

Feel free to switch to being a Whioux fan.
gopheritall
Golden

Postby Pony hockey 60 » Sat 3/17/12 5:25 pm

Wondering why Nick Larson wasn't playing?
Pony hockey 60

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Sat 3/17/12 5:26 pm

LARSON was hurt.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby wa0yle12 » Sat 3/17/12 7:00 pm

Well, it appears that most don't care for the comments Webbo made regarding the game. From what I saw, that is exactly the way it played out. The Gophers could easily have had a 5-0 lead. The Sioux were taking penalties and we weren't. MN was dominating the game. The third period was a complete and total collapse. Actually, the collapse began after the Sioux scored and made it 3-1.
wa0yle12

Postby g_manpucker » Sat 3/17/12 7:27 pm

Ummm...we have one more year of WCHA play there weebo-wobble.
g_manpucker
Golden

Postby Armadillo » Sat 3/17/12 9:29 pm

Good God, the newbies have come out of the woodwork, and they're all Negative Nancies!

Shocking, I tell you.
Armadillo
Golden

Postby Git Fiddle Plucker » Sun 3/18/12 6:29 pm

Ultimate positive outlook I can come up with: at least we don't have any more Friday night games.
Git Fiddle Plucker

Return to Home Page Articles